Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,541 members, 7,801,509 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha (21102 Views)

Fashola Commissions Jebba Hydro Power Plant In Niger State (photos) / One Killed As IPOB Members Protest In Onitsha - Vanguard News / SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by oneeast: 9:34am On May 16, 2012
SABMiller Brewery valued at $100 million dollars (N15 billion) would be inaugurated in Anambra, in August, Peter Stuttard, the Business Development Manager of the company said on Friday. According to Stuttard, 22.5 per cent share of the new brewery is owned by indigenous entrepreneurs, which consist of 10 per cent for Anambra State Government, while other private local investors have 12.5 per cent.

Stuttard said that production would commence in September after the opening by President Jonathan.

He said the construction works on the brewery, which is expected to produce beer and malt for a start, had reached 90 percent stage.

The manager said that the decision to site the `gigantic' brewery in Onitsha was borne out of the fact that Onitsha is the biggest commercial city in West Africa.

“Nigeria is a strategic country for any serious-minded company that wants to achieve success in their business endeavour,” he said. “ Any prospective company which has not come to Nigeria could be said not to have arrived Africa and on the other hand, any company that wants to expand its scope cannot afford to neglect Onitsha.

“We are in Nigeria to do good business and we are here to generate employment, create wealth and attend to our corporate social responsibilities to the people and to the communities where we operate.

“All we need is cooperation from the people and as we grow, we grow with them,’’ he said
Stuttard commended Governor Peter Obi for his ability to convince the company to come to Anambra.

“We are not alone in this business, Anambra government and Onitsha people have assisted us a lot in providing land.”

He said that the company would comply with the regulations of agencies such as Standards Organisation of Nigeria, National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control and the Nigeria Customs Service for smooth operation of its business.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/markets/companies-and-market/37543-sabmiller-to-commission-n15bn-brewery-in-august

Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by oneeast: 9:35am On May 16, 2012
Da bomb. cool
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by Nobody: 9:44am On May 16, 2012
I would have loved to see an estimate of how many jobs will be created.
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by oneeast: 9:58am On May 16, 2012
HNosegbe: I would have loved to see an estimate of how many jobs will be created.

Onitsha, the commercial heartbeat of Anambra State, holds the key for the future of the state and its industrialisation, Governor Peter Obi has said.

After undertaking a working tour of some multi-million naira projects in the city, including the multi-million Dollar SABMiller Brewery, Orient Drug Facilities, as well as many other facilities coming up at the Onitsha Harbour Industrial Area, Obi said the projects will help transform the state and would contribute to the industrial and economic growth of the state.

Obi, who expressed satisfaction with the state and quality of work done so in those projects so far, said the multinational companies would further expand to other areas of production that would create more job opportunities and widen the frontiers for trade and commerce.

It is estimated that SABMiller alone will create over five thousand jobs.

Conducting the governor and some top government officials around the facilities at the brewery, Project Manager of the Company, James Hull, who thanked the governor for his encouragement and interest in the company, said the installation work was on course and that various units had reached advanced level of completion with necessary safety measures.

Obi, who just arrived the country after a week visit to Germany and the United States of America, inspected many other facilities and network of roads the government is constructing within the Harbour Industrial Estate and urged local investors to take advantage of the readiness of the government to support emerging businesses in the state through the provision of necessary infrastructure to come and invest in the state.

Obi also visited the ongoing Hotel/Convention Centre at Onitsha, where he said a similar project would start at the state capital territory in few weeks.

He also inspected the site for modern shopping complex at Onitsha, Nnewi and Awka, saying that the centres were planned in response to the global shift from open and clustered market to shopping mall.

He said that the entire project would commence in few weeks time and that funding for them had already been set aside.

It was also a glorious day for three schools namely: Maranatha International School, Regina Pacis Model Secondary School, Onitsha and St. Anthony of Padua Secondary School, Nkpor, where he presented brand new 18-seater buses.

Obi said at the schools after donating the buses that the vehicles and computers donated to them are to encouraged them to pursue academic excellence, reminding them that education remained the best option for competition in the world of today.

He also awarded scholarships to two students of Regina Pacis Secondary School, Miss Theresa Mbanefo and Ogochukwu Okafor, for display of exceptional brilliance.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2012/04/onitsha-holds-key-for-anambras-industrial-development-obi/
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by MrGlobe(m): 10:06am On May 16, 2012
Do not be decieved. Sabmiller is 100% owned by peter obi. They also produce Grand Malt which is owned by peter obi. The rubbish they are saying that the state govt owns this and that percent and local investors this and that is a diversion. This is a project the EFCC must help the next governor to fully recover for the state because it with built with 100% of Anambra money. Sabmiller for now is a scam project. One of the many massive loots of Peter Obi.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by oneeast: 10:19am On May 16, 2012
^

You are not making any sense. Even though its no longer a secret that the South African company owns Sabmiller plant in Onitsha, it further rubbish your postulations that its own by Peter Obi.

Such a world class company has an integrity to protect. Where are Ibori's loots and many other politicians that have stashed our money out of the shores of this country?

If you hate his government that much then channel your frustrations to the right quarters. What we are interested in, is a government that will create the much needed employment which is the bane of this country.

If our politicians are doing what Peter has continued to do by attracting FDIs in Nigeria and Anambra in particular, Nigeria would have improved by now. GEJ did not make mistake when he appointed Peter Obi into his inner economic team to help drive the economy.

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:35am On May 16, 2012
Don't get me wrong, i'm happy for Anambra peeps. But i can't help feeling a bit underwhelmed with the launching of this brewery plant. I'd rather have preferred a plant/industry that engaged in 'proper' production of goods: like Innossons' car assembly plant, or Juhels' pharmacy coy. Don't we already have enough breweries in Nigeria?

If the business plan is to sell to the rest of Nigeria and export to the whole of West Africa, then that would be better. But then again that would depend on how saturated the market is presently, and also depend on Sabmiller having a product that's in high demand. Does anyone know what brands they'll be producing in the factory, and how popular they are?
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by ayo5511: 10:42am On May 16, 2012
All na investment, whether na Inoson or Eleganza. The key thing is to create employment in the society and Nigeria at large. Thump up Anambra people and their ingenuity. I did my nysc in Onitsha its really a great city for any serious investor. How I wish my governor will take a cue from this to attract FDIs into my state.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by OneNaira6: 10:54am On May 16, 2012
This is good for the people of Anambra and I can see the reduction of unemployment the company would bring to the nation but I would rather see a company meant for other production like scientific experiment, engineering innovation, assembly productions, etc rather than a brewery.
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by deshclones(m): 11:23am On May 16, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
Don't get me wrong, i'm happy for Anambra peeps. But i can't help feeling a bit underwhelmed with the launching of this brewery plant. I'd rather have preferred a plant/industry that engaged in 'proper' production of goods: like Innossons' car assembly plant, or Juhels' pharmacy coy. Don't we already have enough breweries in Nigeria?

If the business plan is to sell to the rest of Nigeria and export to the whole of West Africa, then that would be better. But then again that would depend on how saturated the market is presently, and also depend on Sabmiller having a product that's in high demand. Does anyone know what brands they'll be producing in the factory, and how popular they are?

dude..nigerians consumed 65b worth of beer last year alone..majority of the beer were produced by NBL and Guinness....don't see anything wrong if this sabmiller partake in the profit emanating from beer sales and consumption..it will generate jobs and IGR for the state..i just pray yellow woman sounding niggah utilizes the money well and not go and lodge in his fidelity bank...only God knows who he is saving the money for...thanks
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by jason123: 11:27am On May 16, 2012
ayo5511: All na investment, whether na Inoson or Eleganza. The key thing is to create employment in the society and Nigeria at large. [/b]Thump up Anambra people and their ingenuity. I did my nysc in Onitsha its really a great city for any serious investor. How I wish my governor will take a cue from this to attract FDIs into my state.

Very well said Ayo!

Especially the highlighted. [b]Nice one Anambra!
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:11pm On May 16, 2012
Believe me Jonathan is one of the major share holder in that brewery.

Just like Obasanjo is a major share holder at Obajana Cement plant,front running by Dangote.
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by ayo5511: 3:33pm On May 16, 2012
Lets be civil a bit
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by kaiter: 3:41pm On May 16, 2012
If the business plan is to sell to the rest of Nigeria and export to the whole of West Africa, then that would be better. But then again that would depend on how saturated the market is presently, and also depend on Sabmiller having a product that's in high demand.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:51pm On May 16, 2012
Peter Obis enemies can keep hating; the man will create thousands of jobs with this one !
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by Demdem(m): 3:51pm On May 16, 2012
I won't be surprise if the retardeen list it as one of his achievement. Happy for the igbos. More drinks for them. grin
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by OneNaira6: 3:57pm On May 16, 2012
I hope una are watching this thread carefully. When the Igbo start now, the yoruba are quick to start crying and lying that Igbo are attacking them w/o provocation on their part. Okay ooo!!!!

I hope una dey watch.
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by ayo5511: 3:59pm On May 16, 2012
Demdem: I won't be surprise if the retardeen list it as one of his achievement. Happy for the igbos. More drinks for them. grin

15 Billion naira (FDI) investment is a major achievement, its not easy for most governors to come by.
Re: Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:00pm On May 16, 2012
People are underestimating the magical hand of Peter Obi ! The man is a genius and only those who are neutral can see that!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

David Mark’s Presidency Campaign Posters Printed In Lagos [PHOTO] / Patience Jonathan Sick Again In Europe For Treatment - SaharaReporters / Fulani Herdsmen: Presidency Has Abandoned Us - Benue Governor, Ortom Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.