Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,793 members, 7,802,522 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:50 PM

Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija (6177 Views)

Travellig To Nigeria On A British Passport But Without A Visa Or Nigerian Passpo / How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? / Travel To The Usa With British Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija by Piyke: 12:33pm On May 16, 2012
Hi I'm trying to apply for a british passport for my baby who is a citizen by descent (I'm a citizen n have confirmed his citizenship with the home office in UK) but was born here in naija. I've reviewed the application process on-line but dont know if i'm supposed to book an appointment with the high commission in lagos or to just walk in there with my child during their work hours to submit the application.

Kindly assist if u have any info on this.
Re: Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija by justwise(m): 12:56pm On May 16, 2012
Piyke: Hi I'm trying to apply for a british passport for my baby who is a citizen by descent (I'm a citizen n have confirmed his citizenship with home office in UK) but was born here in naija. I've all the application process on-line but dont know if i'm supposed to book an appointment with the high commission in lagos or whether i should just walk in there with my child during their work hours.

Kindly assist if u have any info on this.

There is no appointment for application submission.
Re: Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija by Piyke: 1:05pm On May 16, 2012
justwise:

There is no appointment for application submission.

Thank you very much @justwise. Let me ask u a bit further... I'm actually in uk at the moment and will be there till the end of the year, my wife plans putting in this application for our baby as we're planning a holiday in July (she already has a visa)

I know that my passport will be required for this application but the site has discouraged sending down my passport for this and they also say they don't accept photocopies. My wife has my original birth certificate(was born before 1983) though. will this suffice? whats ur take on this?

I should add that i've been calling the phone of deputy HC in lagos but the operator never picks up. it just keeps ringing and ringing
Re: Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija by Piyke: 10:23pm On May 16, 2012
Hoping any one with experience in this would advice...
Re: Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija by justwise(m): 11:18pm On May 16, 2012
Piyke:

Thank you very much @justwise. Let me ask u a bit further... I'm actually in uk at the moment and will be there till the end of the year, my wife plans putting in this application for our baby as we're planning a holiday in July (she already has a visa)

I know that my passport will be required for this application but the site has discouraged sending down my passport for this and they also say they don't accept photocopies. My wife has my original birth certificate(was born before 1983) though. will this suffice? whats ur take on this?

I should add that i've been calling the phone of deputy HC in lagos but the operator never picks up. it just keeps ringing and ringing

You have to travel back to Nigeria and submit your passport and that of your wife will be needed as well, there is no two ways about it. They are approaching busy time, so you will be lucky if the passport comes out within a month.
Re: Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija by Piyke: 4:46pm On May 18, 2012
justwise:

You have to travel back to Nigeria and submit your passport and that of your wife will be needed as well, there is no two ways about it. They are approaching busy time, so you will be lucky if the passport comes out within a month.

Thanks for the above but i'm so hooked up that I can't afford to spend anywhere near a month, infact time to even travel is an issue.

What of putting in for a visa for our child since my wife already has one? Cos this would be faster. I can then apply for his british passport when i come back by the year's end
Re: Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija by hope16: 5:33pm On Jul 04, 2016
Hi,am a British citizen but has lived in Nigeria since I was 2 years.I ve got kids and I want to apply for their British passport.Was told I passed the citizenship automatically to them,but am confused as to whether I can apply for them with their Nigerian birth certificate (they were born in Nigeria)and are still living in Nigeria.I only have my British passport and birth certificate to show on their behalf,my husband is not British but Nigerian.Thanks
Re: Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija by Piyke: 12:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
hope16:
Hi,am a British citizen but has lived in Nigeria since I was 2 years.I ve got kids and I want to apply for their British passport.Was told I passed the citizenship automatically to them,but am confused as to whether I can apply for them with their Nigerian birth certificate (they were born in Nigeria)and are still living in Nigeria.I only have my British passport and birth certificate to show on their behalf,my husband is not British but Nigerian.Thanks

All you need to know is here;
Bbbbb.https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/nigeria/applying/child/united-kingdom

Study it well. Remove the Bbbbb-I'm afraid if spambot
Re: Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija by EvaMD: 11:25am On Apr 03, 2017
hello everyone ..@justwise and all the gurus on here, I need help, we have applied for our daughters BP and have been called for the interview, my husband is currently in Nigeria and is following up with the passport, can he go to the embassy or call them and ask, and any info or their details will be helpful, thanks
Re: Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija by Nobody: 1:15pm On Apr 03, 2017
It took us a whole year plus DNA to get our baby's passport! Plus 3 trips to Lagos, video interview, Sampling collection. Meanwhile for our first child, it took 2 days through the post when applied from London.
From experience, take your child to England and apply from there!

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Is It Advisable To Japa Now? / Arik Air Requires N10bn To Resume Full Operations – AMCON / Boeing Removes Dennis Muilenburg As Chairman Amid 737 Max Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.