Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,843 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) (5717 Views)

Army Re-opens Borno Highways Three Years After Closure / Ajimobi Re-opens Agodi Gardens, Ibadan / Where Is Gej's Enugu "International Airport"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:27am On May 17, 2012
May 15, 2012

Enugu Airport re-opens on 16 May 2012

Filed under: Airports — Tags: Enugu Airport — Aviation in Nigeria @ 12:39 pm

Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, will be open again for commercial operations on 16 May 2012. The airport was shut down for almost eight weeks during which new runway lighting was installed. The airport was closed for almost a year in 2010 as the runway was completely refurbished.

http://nigerianaviation./2012/05/15/enugu-airport-re-opens-on-16-may-2012/

.......... ......... ...........

I just hope there's no more 'fooling around' and the Airport can now start to live up to its 'International' status. Next thing to focus on should be a befitting terminal building. Saw the new ones for Kano Int'l and Benin Airports and was impressed.

Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Kobojunkie: 12:32am On May 17, 2012
nah!!! Lets wait for the next commissioning, followed by yet another re-opening. grin
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Onlytruth(m): 4:06am On May 17, 2012
Good. This is one airport we have waited for ever to use! When will it be completed and when would it commence FULL INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS?
The Enugu state governor should be the arrow head pushing this. I don't trust the FG.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:07am On May 17, 2012
Onlytruth: Good. This is one airport we have waited for ever to use! When will it be completed and when would it commence FULL INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS?
The Enugu state governor should be the arrow head pushing this. I don't trust the FG.

^^^Onlytruth nwanna, the Governor seems to be slacking a bit if you ask me. Just seen a few pics of Enugu (admittedly the camera used isn't the best smiley) and the city is looking a bit unkempt. We lack a maintainance culture in this country, seriously.

An FAAN official was quoted as saying they're now inviting airlines to resume Enugu flights, so lets see if the 'international' angle takes off as well.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Lee644: 9:31am On May 17, 2012
The Enugu state governor should be the arrow head pushing this. I don't trust the FG.[img]http://www.keyforex.info/cpu.gif[/img]
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by henrychubayo: 1:02pm On May 18, 2012
This is good news for all of us in the south east. Atleast after completion of phase II, we can fly directly to enugu without going thru hell in lagos. I plead with ppl and our guys in enugu to make a short visit to this airport and update us with enough picts in order to quench our curiousity especially me. Thanks
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by ak47mann(m): 2:12pm On May 18, 2012
Good job, but more to be done cool
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Dede1(m): 9:13pm On May 18, 2012
This is not better than the famous Uli airstrip. It is unfortunate to notice people are falling head over knees because of one half-a-mile tarred road called runway.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:08am On May 19, 2012
An idea i have that a proactive Enugu State Gov't could initiate is to make a case with certain international airlines (like British Airways, Air France, Emirates, etc) as to the viability of serving the Enugu route.

The Gov't could sponsor a survey that would have customers tick a box when buying their tickets for Lagos, Port Harcourt or Abuja. They would be asked: if the Airline had the option of a direct flight to Enugu, would the customer have chosen that option instead? This would be a year long survey to show peak times during the year when said route would be at its most profitable.

I don't think we should blame the Federal Gov't in this instance if things don't go according to plan. After all, the President is Ijaw, and the Minister of Aviation is Igbo, so i don't think they'd be any problems from that end. What needs to be done is for the Enugu State Gov't to start selling the Airport as a viable option, and do what it can to provide a conducive environment for Airline Staff: like for instance providing free office accomodation and also free board for cabin crew that may need to spend the night in Enugu- this can be done for the first year only as a gesture of goodwill. The Gov't will recoup its money in the long run when tourist/business activities pick up.

And they also need to seriously think of attracting investors (maybe on a PPP basis) to build at least one five-star Hotel and conference centre. Enugu is lacking in that regard.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Obiagu1(m): 2:14am On May 19, 2012
Until I see a terminal, the runway is just a glorified highway!
Enough of this bullshit sad
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:31am On May 19, 2012
Obiagu1: Until I see a terminal, the runway is just a glorified highway!
Enough of this bullshit sad

^^^FAAN shuts Enugu airport

March 15, 2012 by Agency Reporter

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria is to shut the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu to flight operations from March 18, to enable a contractor to install runway lightings.
A statement from the Head of Public Affairs of FAAN, Mr. Alika Nwanganga, in Enugu on Thursday said the closure would last for three weeks, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.
The statement said the closure was to enable the contractor handling the project to commence the installation of Runway 08/26 Air Fleet lighting and other minor construction works at the airport.
FAAN, however, regretted the inconveniences the closure would cause to passengers.
The airport has been undertaking daytime flights since it was made international.
Another project going on at the airport is the construction of a new terminal building.

.......... ........... ..........

As seen from the bolded, FAAN says a new terminal building is being constructed. I just wonder why there's not much detail on it by way of cost or pics of the present stage of construction. Everything seems to be shrouded in secrecy . But if you're waiting for updates/pics from our Enugu peeps, forget it mate- they're so slack over there it's annoying.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Onlytruth(m): 2:51am On May 19, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
An idea i have that a proactive Enugu State Gov't could initiate is to make a case with certain international airlines (like British Airways, Air France, Emirates, etc) as to the viability of serving the Enugu route.

The Gov't could sponsor a survey that would have customers tick a box when buying their tickets for Lagos, Port Harcourt or Abuja. They would be asked: if the Airline had the option of a direct flight to Enugu, would the customer have chosen that option instead? This would be a year long survey to show peak times during the year when said route would be at its most profitable.

I don't think we should blame the Federal Gov't in this instance if things don't go according to plan. After all, the President is Ijaw, and the Minister of Aviation is Igbo, so i don't think they'd be any problems from that end. What needs to be done is for the Enugu State Gov't to start selling the Airport as a viable option, and do what it can to provide a conducive environment for Airline Staff: like for instance providing free office accomodation and also free board for cabin crew that may need to spend the night in Enugu- this can be done for the first year only as a gesture of goodwill. The Gov't will recoup its money in the long run when tourist/business activities pick up.

And they also need to seriously think of attracting investors (maybe on a PPP basis) to build at least one five-star Hotel and conference centre. Enugu is lacking in that regard.

My brother your ideas are pure genius! Enugu state needs to spear head this by building more 3 or 5 star hotels, and offering free accomodation for some of the international airlines to attract them to Enugu.
The amount of money spent in those hotels by the [b]Onlytruths [/b]of Igboland will sustain the route eternally. cool

Enugu also needs to master the art of what we professionals call "Capital Improvement Projects (CIPs)" -upgrading existing infrastructure, and maintaining existing ones (non-CIPs). cool
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Onlytruth(m): 2:53am On May 19, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Onlytruth nwanna, the Governor seems to be slacking a bit if you ask me. Just seen a few pics of Enugu (admittedly the camera used isn't the best smiley) a[b]nd the city is looking a bit unkempt[/b]. We lack a maintainance culture in this country, seriously.

An FAAN official was quoted as saying they're now inviting airlines to resume Enugu flights, so lets see if the 'international' angle takes off as well.

The city would need to step up its game. Enugu is Enugu, in a class of its own.
Without sound CIPs, it may soon return to status quo ante. sad
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Obiagu1(m): 2:57am On May 19, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

As seen from the bolded, FAAN says a new terminal building is being constructed. I just wonder why there's not much detail on it by way of cost or pics of the present stage of construction. Everything seems to be shrouded in secrecy . But if you're waiting for updates/pics from our Enugu peeps, forget it mate- they're so slack over there it's annoying.

That's why I said until I see the terminal, everything they say now is just bullshit to me. When I see the terminal, compare it to what we have in Abuja and Lagos, then I'll say whether we have an "international" airport or an airplane park.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Onlytruth(m): 3:06am On May 19, 2012
^^
The extent of its greatness in design and implementation really depends on the Enugu state government. This is the unfortunate truth.
Everything Igbo in Nigeria is always treated with half heart by the FG. But I know that the FG cannot tell Enugu not to build a terminal looking like the one at Amsterdam. Na their money?

I hate PDP mainly because the governors under that party never raise a voice against the president or the FG.
They are all comfortable thieves who don't want to upset the "come and eat" party at Abuja.
I would not be shocked if Owerri airport attains full international operational status, complete with world class terminal, before Enugu.
Just watch out. cool cool
I pray for both airports. cool

1 Like

Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by henrychubayo: 1:32pm On May 19, 2012
Obiagu1:

That's why I said until I see the terminal, everything they say now is just bullshit to me. When I see the terminal, compare it to what we have in Abuja and Lagos, then I'll say whether we have an "international" airport or an airplane park.

The one thing u need to do is to verify for us or on our behalf about the new terminal buildings. When i flew thru the airport around may 2011, i saw the begining of the new terminal building construction. My friend got back to nigeria, flew to enugu and later confirmed that the building is in progress. By now, i know that it has gone to an advanced level. So one also in this forum told me that the minister canceled the old plan for the new terminal building and approved the latest and modern plan. Also, note that they said other construction is going on there. i don't believe that construction of run ways is what is taken much time but i think the new terminal may have. Also in as much as i am curious about the news updates, pix of the construction of the airport, i wound want the airport authorities to keep it secret so that ppl from other regions may see it and try to quench the project (probably because it has many modern facilities or equipments better than theirs). So if you can, try pay a visit there if not, have no fear cause the project is ongoing and we are waiting with great eagerness of mind and heart.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Afam4eva(m): 1:40pm On May 19, 2012
Enugu airport needs to be overhauled, especially the building.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by henrychubayo: 1:43pm On May 19, 2012
Onlytruth: ^^
The extent of its greatness in design and implementation really depends on the Enugu state government. This is the unfortunate truth.
Everything Igbo in Nigeria is always treated with half heart by the FG. But I know that the FG cannot tell Enugu not to build a terminal looking like the one at Amsterdam. Na their money?

I hate PDP mainly because the governors under that party never raise a voice against the president or the FG.
They are all comfortable thieves who don't want to upset the "come and eat" party at Abuja.
I would not be shocked if Owerri airport attains full international operational status, complete with world class terminal, before Enugu.
Just watch out. cool cool
I pray for both airports. cool

Seriously, imo airport has been map out as international cargo airport. Enugu is the one proposed as international airport. For now, all we can do is pressure them to complete it for us. After this, we will bid for imo international cargo airport which will bring much profit to the state if they start on time to build storage facilities around the state.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by henrychubayo: 1:57pm On May 19, 2012
afam4eva: Enugu airport needs to be overhauled, especially the building.

You may not have understood what we meant here. The building you are seeing in the airport now is for local flights. The new building for the international flights are what we are talking about. It means nothing for us if they demolish the local building. What we want is the new modern terminal or building. In lagos they have 2 buildings for that, one international, and one local. If you are in enugu, try take pix of the new terminal building construction and post to us. Afam please
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Afam4eva(m): 1:59pm On May 19, 2012
henrychubayo:

You may not have understood what we meant here. The building you are seeing in the airport now is for local flights. The new building for the international flights are what we are talking about. It means nothing for us if they demolish the local building. What we want is the new modern terminal or building. In lagos they have 2 buildings for that, one international, and one local. If you are in enugu, try take pix of the new terminal building construction and post to us. Afam please
It would really be nice if they can erect a new structure for the international wing. Btw, i'm not in Enugu.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Dede1(m): 2:13pm On May 19, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

Bros, you have written like a stranger to Nigeria. There were such surveyors who confronted me and other passengers at the so-called Port Harcourt International airport during December 2011 stopover. The government does not use the data collected or act on the comments to effect any change. I personally pointed out the deplorable condition of Port Harcourt Airport. I informed surveyors that the structure was not good enough as pig pen in certain countries.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Onlytruth(m): 8:09pm On May 19, 2012
I appeal to anyone in Enugu to get and post pictures of the Enugu International Airport terminal building under construction. Please go over there, snap a few pictures with a digicam or your cellphone and post it here.
We need to know whether they are delivering as promised. We shouldn't trust these politicians. We need that airport, and we need it to be world class.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Piyke: 12:05am On May 20, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

With regards to a conference center Enugu already has one. The one that Chimaroke built, the building is done from the outside but I don't know the state of the interior. Funny thing is that chime has not completed the stuff for a project i consider near 90% complete
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by henrychubayo: 9:57am On May 20, 2012
Piyke:

With regards to a conference center Enugu already has one. The one that Chimaroke built, the building is done from the outside but I don't know the state of the interior. Funny thing is that chime has not completed the stuff for a project i consider near 90% complete

Almost 5 years of chime and still that place is still not completed. He is not doing any good. My brother, what about the mono train they said he is building? Have u seen the structure yet? Plz i also have one more thing to ask. You live in enugu i guess, plz take a short trip to the airport, take pix and brief us about the ongoing new terminal building under construction. Plz my brother. We await it soon. Thank you
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Piyke: 12:06pm On May 20, 2012
henrychubayo:

Almost 5 years of chime and still that place is still not completed. He is not doing any good. My brother, what about the mono train they said he is building? Have u seen the structure yet? Plz i also have one more thing to ask. You live in enugu i guess, plz take a short trip to the airport, take pix and brief us about the ongoing new terminal building under construction. Plz my brother. We await it soon. Thank you

Ouch! Use to leave in EN, my parents live there but I've moved. Would definitely have done so if I was around.

But please we really need these pics by anyone who can.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Mobile11: 8:13pm On May 27, 2012
Has Enugu airport commence international flight
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by PROUDIGBO(m): 8:22pm On May 31, 2012
Nigeria: Chinese Investors to Build Four Airport Terminals
By Chinedu Eze, 25 May 2012Comment

The Federal Government and Chinese investors have reached an agreement for the latter to build state-of-the-art terminals at four major airports in Nigeria, including Lagos, Kano, Abuja and Port Harcourt (in Rivers State).

The projects, THISDAY learnt, are planned to be completed before the end of this administration. The terminals would not only meet international standards but also rival the best in the world, according to a source, who disclosed this to THISDAY.

Although the terms of agreement reached between the FG and the investors are not yet made public, but a reliable source said that it would be on build, operate and transfer (BOT) basis, so "they are going to provide all the funds needed for the project under private, public partnership (PPP)".

[b]The deal was said to have been signed by the Minister of Finance, Dr (Mrs.) Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala on behalf of the Federal Government, and the project is expected to kick off soon.

[/b]The four airports where the terminals are designated are the busiest in the country and with the growth of passenger movement in air transport in Nigeria, the existing terminals, industry experts say, would soon be too small for the teeming passengers especially on international destinations.

The source said, "Chinese investors have indicated interest to invest in our airports and they are going to build four terminals at the airports in Kano, Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt. The Minister of Finance has signed the contract and it will take off soon. That is a good development for our airports.

"They are providing the money so we will not bother about funding it and it is state-of-the-art terminals with advanced technology. We need such terminals in our airports now, at least to move on with the rest of the world," the source added.

The prototype of the terminal has already been obtained and the Federal Government has agreed to provide free land for the project at the four airports, and because of the expected expanse of the terminal at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, it would be built a distance away from the existing international terminal at the airport, but would share the same runway.

The Minister of Aviation, Princess Stella Oduah, said in her recent ministerial briefing in Abuja that government would build four new terminals and the projects would kick off soon.

[/b]In a recent interview she said that the present administration wants to provide modern airports that Nigerians would be proud of and that has started with the remodelling efforts and now, new terminals.

"What we are doing is to ensure that passengers have value for their money and most importantly we want every Nigerian and stakeholders to be proud of our airport environment. It's a total transformation of the aviation sector," she added.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201205250096.html

Attached are recent pics of the [b]'NEWLY REFURBISHED AND UPGRADED ENUGU INT'L AIRPORT'
shocked undecided. I kid you not. It's a fuc/king disgrace that two years after the President came down to Enugu and launched -with so much fanfare- the opening of the 'newly uprgraded' airport, coupled with TWO closures ever since for upgrade works, this pathetic picture is what we have to show for all that.

I've said it before and i'll say it again (even if i start sounding like a broken record angry), our leaders and representatives at state and national level are selling us short, and not fighting our corner as much as they should, all in a bid for them to be seen as being 'fair' and 'equitable'. But others from other parts of the country (right from the late 60's to 2010) never seem to have had such scruples when they took almost 'everything' to their regions. Imagine, even Okonjo-Iweala facilitated the whole thing, and we have an Igbo as aviation minister as well !!!

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Enugu Airport the 4th busiest in the country? If so, how come it was overlooked in favour of Kano (no disrespect to Kano peeps). I suppose federal character and ethnic balancing had something to do with it, as opposed to hard economic/viability reasons.

I tire for this country!!!

Pics are courtesy of Che Rox's photos @ Lockerz.com

Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:12pm On May 31, 2012
So for any peeps wanting pics of works on the 'new terminal building', i guess you have your answer.

Nice one Jona wink.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by karlmax2: 12:58am On Jun 01, 2012
My brother when the work is concluded and the airport is wearing a new look you would Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡ the haters come out and say jona has nothing to do with it!.. Like they are now sayin he has nothing to do with the fixing of the lagos benin express road that everybody knew the state of the road when a certain obasanjo was in power for 8years!! Bunch of hypocrites
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by Obiagu1(m): 2:15am On Jun 01, 2012
I don't want to be vindicated, I want to be proven wrong. That's all I'll say. sad
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by mensdept: 3:44am On Jun 01, 2012
The whole upgrading of Ibiam Airport in Enugu was just a bunch of BULLSHyt. Obansanjo promised this airport in his 1st and 2nd term, then Yar I Die in Arabia the same thing, and now Goodluck with the usual official policy of nothing Federal going to the East.

By the way, let me say that the problem is squarely on the Igbo folks. Yes, Enugu state has budgets/allocations yearly of over US $500 Million, with additional allocations from Abia (this state alone US $800 million) Imo, Ebonyi, and ANambra.

So why cant they (the pathethic leaders in SE, including APGA) build/upgrade their own goddammm airport? Why are they waiting for the FG who recently says they are upgrading the four standing int'l airports already, which would surely abolish any need to create/upgrade any more.

Guess they are hoping the villagers in Imo and Abia State are going to tax themselves again to build an airport, or Okpara and co to come from the grave to do it for them.

Igbo people remain a local people. Yes, no connection to the outside world, no world class structures, and no World Class leadership.

That sucks.
Re: Enugu International Airport Re-opens (16-05-12) by remarkD(m): 4:43am On Jun 01, 2012
Word. The Igbo so called "leaders" are a disgrace. its pathetic to say the least. . attimes i wonder if therewill ever be someone from ala igbo with the leadership qualities and characteristics of people like Ojukwu, Okpara, Mbakwe and co. that had the interest of the people, the "commmon" people at heart and push for a cause, their cause. but what do you see these days... at times i feel so sad i want to cry for my people. God save us, God help us, i don't want it to take a polgrom or something drastic to happen before someone emerges, cause it seems from the culture that a leader rises from the crowd when things start getting out of hand. how bad do things have to get, my dear Igbos?outtt

mens dept: The whole upgrading of Ibiam Airport in Enugu was just a bunch of BULLSHyt. Obansanjo promised this airport in his 1st and 2nd term, then Yar I Die in Arabia the same thing, and now Goodluck with the usual official policy of nothing Federal going to the East.

By the way, let me say that the problem is squarely on the Igbo folks. Yes, Enugu state has budgets/allocations yearly of over US $500 Million, with additional allocations from Abia (this state alone US $800 million) Imo, Ebonyi, and ANambra.

So why cant they (the pathethic leaders in SE, including APGA) build/upgrade their own goddammm airport? Why are they waiting for the FG who recently says they are upgrading the four standing int'l airports already, which would surely abolish any need to create/upgrade any more.

Guess they are hoping the villagers in Imo and Abia State are going to tax themselves again to build an airport, or Okpara and co to come from the grave to do it for them.

Igbo people remain a local people. Yes, no connection to the outside world, no world class structures, and no World Class leadership.

That sucks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles / Election Rigging In Imo Exposed!!! (VIDEO) / Black Igbo Month:history Col Joe Achuzie A Midwesterner Who Fought For Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.