Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,808 members, 7,802,587 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. (14231 Views)

Buhari Seeks Senate Approval To Borrow N2.10 Trn / Nigeria To Borrow $2Billion From World Bank - Okonjo-Iweala / Why Does A Country Needs To Borrow When She Can Easily Print More? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by Bontee: 12:39am On May 18, 2012
Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Speedy Approval For N1.8trn External Borrowing Plan

The Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, on Thursday in Abuja asked the National Assembly to quickly approve the Federal Government’s external borrowing plan of $7.9b about N1.8 trillion.

Okonjo-Iweala made the request during an oversight visit to her office, by members of the House Committee on Finance.

President Goodluck Jonathan had written the Senate and House of Representatives in February seeking approval for the loans to fund key projects in various sectors of the economy.

Nigeria is seeking the loan facility from the World Bank, Africa Development Bank, Islamic Development Bank, Exim Bank of China and India lines of credit.

``We have an external borrowing plan that we have put to the National Assembly, as we are required to do and I am really counting on your help to get out the borrowing plan as quickly as possible.''

The minister said that the loan was required to complete some ongoing projects captured in the 2012 budget.

According to her, government will spend the loan on several projects in agriculture, water resources and power.

On the monthly meeting of Federation Accounts Allocation Committee (FAAC), which distributes money to the three tiers of government, the minister explained that delay in disbursing funds was not an issue of concern.

She said, ``We are depending on a resource (crude oil) that sells in the market, remember sometimes when you sell in the market, you do not get the money right away.

``Just like an ordinary seller in the market there are sometimes when you are selling to your customers, they will tell you that I will bring the money later please give me credit for one or two days.''

She, however, conceded that the country was facing a major challenge of drop in the oil production due to ongoing massive theft of crude oil in the Niger Delta region.

``That has direct impact on output, which may impact on revenues.''

The minister, however, stated that Nigeria's finance was very solvent and ruled out the possibility of any fiscal crisis as a result of the massive oil bunkering activities in the Niger Delta.

``As of this moment, we are meeting all our bills, we have not experienced any crunch, but we need to face some of the challenges squarely.

``I believe the government is facing some challenges and our security agencies are fully aware.’’

Okonjo-Iweala, who is also the Coordinating Minister for the Economy, told the visiting legislators that the ongoing political and economic turmoil in some EU member countries had created fresh economic uncertainty for the country.

``Because 60 per cent of our exports go to the Eurozone and the US, we should always be mindful of what is happening there.

``Because it may have a direct impact on us in terms of demand for our products.’’

Commenting on the FAAC meeting, the Minister of State, Dr Yerima Ngama said the anti-fuel subsidy demonstrations in January this year slowed down the flow of revenue to the Federation.

According to the Minister, the monthly FAAC meeting has been reverted to the former dates of 18th and 19th, as against 12th and 13th of each month.

Ngama attributed the delay in the payment of salaries of public workers to ongoing software upgrade of the payment module deployed by government for payment of salaries.

He assured Nigeria workers that the delay would be over as soon as the software issues were resolved.

In his response, Abdulmumin Jibrin, Chairman, House Committee on Finance, assured the minister that the house would consider the request for the external borrowing plan, tabled since February.

``We are partners in progress and whatever request that comes from you be rest assured that we will take it very seriously and give it priority attention.''

Jibrin requested the ministry to monitor more closely remittance of internally general revenue (IGR) to government coffers from government revenue generating agencies such as Nigeria Customs Services.

He also called for close monitoring of all revenue-generating agencies in the non-oil sector to ensure proper remittance of actual revenues accruing to government.

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/24962/2012/05/17/okonjoiweala_seeks_speedy_approval_n18trn_external_borrowing_plan.html
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by Abagworo(m): 12:42am On May 18, 2012
Na wa!
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by yusufbaba(m): 12:55am On May 18, 2012
Our balance sheet is in a mess
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by Bontee: 1:27am On May 18, 2012
We definitely have money problems and God help us oooo.
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by mensdept: 3:58am On May 18, 2012
wHAT HAPPENED TO OUR SO CALLED EXTERNAL RESERVES? WHy must we borrow you dayum monkey lady?
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by OYINBOGOJU(m): 4:27am On May 18, 2012
Blessed are the next generation for they shall inherit the national debt

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by logica(m): 4:28am On May 18, 2012
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by kunlekunle: 4:30am On May 18, 2012
how about the looted funds that were recovered,
whats happening to the swf account?
cos 26b GBP was lost last week in europe,
$10b lost in us.

you seems a class room technocrat

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by Nobody: 4:32am On May 18, 2012
And they will squander it all and enrich themselves.....Nigeria's future has already been mortgaged 10x over by these senseless baboons in power!
I'm waiting for the day all the Nigerian politicians actions will come home to roost. "Democracy" has been an extraordinary burden on the masses!
Please God send a Chariot of fire and consume these people! Nigerians are helpless!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by xcolanto(m): 4:36am On May 18, 2012
Nigeria has been sold to the " Dogs " angry
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by dasparrow: 4:44am On May 18, 2012
I give up on Nigeria. Just look at how our leaders are selling our birthright for a plate of porraidge. I feel for generations of Nigerians yet born because unless something is done to curb corruption and mismanagement of resources, future generations will be living lives filled with abject poverty. Oh well.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by Nobody: 4:50am On May 18, 2012
Wt of d recovered abacha's looted funds. So you mean to tel mi dt d money we gt frm our regular crude oil sale aint enough. I won't be suprised if GEJ is stockpiling for d rainy 2015
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by omoobaagility: 5:04am On May 18, 2012
wht type of economist this woman said she is?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by zoomzu(f): 5:04am On May 18, 2012
[s][/s]Nigeria as a country cannot get better, it is only individual lives that will be changing either by luck or chance. What significant changes has happened to Nigeria after the parTial fuel subsidy repocketing. I had witnessed when milk was sold for N1.50k, when Sardine was sold for N2.00. Full Chicken for N12.00. But what do we have now? Polithiefcians....God will save us.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by odumchi: 5:06am On May 18, 2012
Ego na bu aturu tawa.

Money na sheep food.
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by dayokanu(m): 5:08am On May 18, 2012
Fresh air from the Retardeen govt
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by odumchi: 5:10am On May 18, 2012
On a serious note...

The main issue is not even that Nigeria is borrowing money. It's just that we all know what will happen. Atleast three quarters of this loan will "disapear" or go unnacounted for before it even reaches its actual purpose and then more money will be borrowed or other "existing projects" will be truncated to start anew.

Nothing new.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by Nobody: 5:11am On May 18, 2012
omooba agility: wht type of economist this woman said she is?

Harvard Grad

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by munaco: 5:14am On May 18, 2012
nigeria go soon turn to somalia. na aid na him remain make we dey collect. oxfam and other charity organisation from europe go soon visit nigeria for aid. where are we going and what is the solution.
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by Nobody: 5:14am On May 18, 2012
Tell me Iweala is just a pliable puppet! She definitely gets her cut!!
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by oraclefemi(m): 5:15am On May 18, 2012
SERIOUSLY who cares? whatever they do in that Abuja they shouldnt bother telling us ..all their policy so far only increases the price of everything so they shouldnt bother telling us anything , lets just go about our daily lives and leave them . They loan it , they loot it , they share it and then tell us ..so whats the point ?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by femooo: 5:16am On May 18, 2012
I pity the unborn generation! SMH.
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by lugards1: 5:32am On May 18, 2012
God deliver our land from good for nothing monster at the helm of afairs.
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by GboyegaD(m): 5:34am On May 18, 2012
Was this the same person some people clamored for to be World Bank's President? Someone who cannot say no to some greedy one's appetite for corruption because of her gains?
Nigeria is getting into more mess by the day with this set of leaders we have. Despite all that has been spent in the last year, what can be attributed for it? I think rather than discussing true federalism, it is time we part ways because I know at that point there would be need for some form of accountability and responsibility.
I am waiting for the usual idiiots to come support this action again.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by tunde1200(m): 5:35am On May 18, 2012
femooo: I pity the unborn generation! SMH.

seconded!!!......
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by GboyegaD(m): 5:37am On May 18, 2012
dasparrow: I give up on Nigeria. Just look at how our leaders are selling our birthright for a plate of porraidge. I feel for generations of Nigerians yet born because unless something is done to curb corruption and mismanagement of resources, future generations will be living lives filled with abject poverty. Oh well.

Unfortunately, I do not really feel for them anymore because our generation which I believed should have set things right are sycophants thus, they would only reap the product of our greed.
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by gbadexy(m): 5:46am On May 18, 2012
Yet some people will come and defend this administration like zombies.they have squandered about 37 billion dollars yardua left from obasanjo's over 40 billion.the country is broke.the minister thinks people are as daft as they are to believe all those software upgrade rubbish.when the 1.7 trillion naira subsidy fund fraud should have been recovered according to the committee report and used to finance projects.so it now that there is peace in niger delta that there is massive theft of crude oil?abi they are taking their own resource control already,they should sha do tangible things in their region.the irony is that people will complain and still vote pdp to power again.i wonder what our debt profile will be by 2015

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by blackboi(m): 5:47am On May 18, 2012
A borrower is a slave to the lender.. Hmm! Save Me O God* save my unborn children from these never changing criminals
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by Gbawe: 5:48am On May 18, 2012
Wow.
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by ujchief(m): 5:50am On May 18, 2012
Fresh Air!!!
Goodluck to yu 'enhee'
Goodluck to me 'enheeee'
Gdluck to every body, gdluck Naijeriya...
Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by cyrexx: 5:52am On May 18, 2012
this Okonjo Iweala that gave our gullible president wrong advice on fuel subsidy. may her generations suffer the same predicaments as the victims of fuel subsidy. may her family suddenly become bankrupt and begin to borrow borrow the way she is advising nigeria to borrow now. may all her family never progress, the same way her policies are against progress of average nigerians, may she always know sorrow the same way they plunged average nigerian into sorrow with their self serving policies. may the accurate targetting thunder of Shango and Amadioha strike her and her family dead suddenly, since there is no earthly court to to convict her. by the power of all the Gods in in Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Borrow 7.9 Billion Dollars. Okonjo-Iweala Approves. by Nobody: 6:01am On May 18, 2012
cyrexx: this Okonjo Iweala that gave our gullible president wrong advice on fuel subsidy. may her generations suffer the same predicaments as the victims of fuel subsidy. may her family suddenly become bankrupt and begin to borrow borrow the way she is advising nigeria to borrow now. may all her family never progress, the same way her policies are against progress of average nigerians, may she always know sorrow the same way they plunged average nigerian into sorrow with their self serving policies. may the accurate targetting thunder of Shango and Amadioha strike her and her family dead suddenly, since since there is earthly court to to convict her. by the power of all the Gods in in Africa.

Amen to all you said, but there are others in the government that deserve such curses in 100 folds.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abdulmumin Jibrin Shares 20,000 Bags Of Rice As Ramadan Gifts (Photos) / APC Campaigns In Ikot Ekpene Local Government ( Pictures) / Arewa Comnunity In Lagos Hold Rally For Bola Tinubu And Sanwo-olu (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.