Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

What Is A Surgeon's/doctor's Salary Like In Nigeria Compared To The U.S.? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is A Surgeon's/doctor's Salary Like In Nigeria Compared To The U.S.? (12711 Views)

The Hard Truth About Your Salary / When Doctor Asks You "Are You Sexually Active?" In Front Of Your Mum / How Does The First Three Months Looks Like In NDA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is A Surgeon's/doctor's Salary Like In Nigeria Compared To The U.S.? by c1foc: 4:48am On May 18, 2012
I was born and raised in the U.S. My parents, however, are from West Africa. I plan on entering Medical School in the United States next year and I have always considered the prospect of living in Africa. I've lived in Tanzania for three years and enjoyed it. Anyway, I know the salaries in the United States are alluring, particularly for those in the medical field, but how would that compare in a country like Nigeria, or even South Africa? I am quite ambivalent about staying in the United States upon completing medical school, although I am still very young and perhaps this would change. Anyway, would the presumably lower salary be compensated for the price of goods / property values... purchasing power, I guess? Thanks for all your insights.
Re: What Is A Surgeon's/doctor's Salary Like In Nigeria Compared To The U.S.? by tanimola22: 2:07pm On May 18, 2012
c1foc: I was born and raised in the U.S. My parents, however, are from West Africa. I plan on entering Medical School in the United States next year and I have always considered the prospect of living in Africa. I've lived in Tanzania for three years and enjoyed it. Anyway, I know the salaries in the United States are alluring, particularly for those in the medical field, but how would that compare in a country like Nigeria, or even South Africa? I am quite ambivalent about staying in the United States upon completing medical school, although I am still very young and perhaps this would change. Anyway, would the presumably lower salary be compensated for the price of goods / property values... purchasing power, I guess? Thanks for all your insights.

Unfortunately, the highlighted is never certain! I don't know where you live in the US, but in Nigeria, accommodation at a place that is somewhat comparable to a decent place in the US can cost almost a fortune to buy or rent. The Naira has low value and hence a diminished purchasing power. It does not compensate for anything. The only compensation you may enjoy is not necessary pecuniary. It is the fact that you will be helping your people-fellow Africans- overcome their health challenges.

Many Nigerian doctors are known to also migrate to South Africa in search for better pay, higher quality of life and, of course, better career progression. I know two people practicing there. The salaries of practicing doctors in South Africa can vary, depending on where and whom you work for. For a rough estimate, please see http://www.payscale.com/research/ZA/Hospital_Setting=Physician%27s_Office_%2F_Private_Practice/Salary. Ironically, I have also heard that South African doctors migrate from South Africa to better places in search for better life. Practicing in a country like Australia has been the dream of many South Africans, at least based on what I know and the stories I have heard from knowledgeable persons. At one period, there was a mass exodus of SA doctors to Australia, Canada etc.

I will halt here for those currently practicing as doctors in SA to carry go (carry on).

T22

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Verification And Payment Of Defunct Airways Staff Kano. Pics / Employees Sue Dangote Flour Mill For 200million / Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.