Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,671 members, 7,801,935 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

An Honest Question From A Somali - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Honest Question From A Somali (13330 Views)

You Nigerians Should Feel Honored Today Because A Somali Is Visiting Here / Nigerian Women, Would You Marry A Somali? / Why are EAST africans so delusional?-Question from a AA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 26, 2012
Oh shut up there fo0l and watch the clip. angry grin
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by ayanle456: 10:39pm On May 26, 2012
^^^^your mean...give me a summary...i didnt watch.
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by OneNaira6: 11:45pm On May 26, 2012
This Ayanle456 dude is too funny. I don't even understand how anyone takes him seriously. He lacks sense, more comedy than educational if na me una ask.
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by egoldman(m): 12:23am On May 27, 2012
The guy needs attention and seems to be getting it and enjoying it too , maybe they been ignoring him on somalilnet .
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by ayanle456: 2:00am On May 28, 2012
^^^^^do u want my attention?
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Nobody: 7:46am On May 28, 2012
One_Naira: This Ayanle456 dude is too funny. I don't even understand how anyone takes him seriously. He lacks sense, more comedy than educational if na me una ask.

I agree. I find him hilarious. grin
So much so that I actually like his ignorant azz. grin
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by ayanle456: 7:48am On May 28, 2012
^^^i try to throw in a sense of humor in my racist comments. It helps me sleep at night.
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jun 02, 2012
@ Fulaman

I know you are Fulani which is cool.

If you don't mind my asking, were you ALL at one point nomadic or is there a specific
part of Africa which all Fulanis originated?

I could look it up...but I am too lazy. grin

anyway, I have a particular fascination with the woodabe clan smiley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsRR0bTixLU&feature=fvst

Such beautiful people. They seem to be "free" but still have strong cultural values.

In what ways is your particular clan similar to the woodabe? smiley
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by ayanle456: 11:42am On Jun 03, 2012
so the fulani, where do they originaly hail from...their looks are compared to somalis from what i hear on nairaland. Are they muslim?
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Fulaman198(m): 2:56pm On Jun 03, 2012
MsDarkSkin: @ Fulaman

I know you are Fulani which is cool.

If you don't mind my asking, were you ALL at one point nomadic or is there a specific
part of Africa which all Fulanis originated?

I could look it up...but I am too lazy. grin

anyway, I have a particular fascination with the woodabe clan smiley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsRR0bTixLU&feature=fvst

Such beautiful people. They seem to be "free" but still have strong cultural values.

In what ways is your particular clan similar to the woodabe? smiley

The Wodaabe Fulani are the most pure Fulani today, meaning the Fulani least Westernized and least culturally influenced by Arabs. All Fulani were once Nomads, all of us once practiced a culture similar to the Wodaabe (minus the Gerewol) until 30 - 40 years ago when they sent out a Hausa bounty hunter to wipe out nomadic Fulani in Nigeria (many are now living in Cameroon and Central African republic). We still have many Fulani nomads today in Naija, I am 3rd generation Bororo but not a Ngaynaako (herdsman). The Wodaabe speak the exact same Fulani dialect as we do in Nigeria/Cameroon/Chad/Centr African Republic which makes me think a lot of things. The only way we are not similar to Wodaabe Fulani is the Gerewol, it is taboo (haram) to steal another mans wife. A woman is not allowed to look at another man if she is already married. These things are forbidden.

Also the men dressing up does not happen, only the women dress up. Our form of Pulaagu is a bit different from theres

In Fulani language (fulfulde), Wodaabe means "outcasts"
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Fulaman198(m): 2:58pm On Jun 03, 2012
Today in Countries like Senegal, Mauritania, Gambia, Guinea, Sierra Leone, etc (I call them the far west Africa), Fulani are much less nomadic and much more sedentary. In fact, to me the most traditional Fulani live in Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon and Sudan.
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Fulaman198(m): 3:07pm On Jun 03, 2012
This is the Fulani song of Unity, I'm very proud of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSr8KHKJO7M&

Nigerian Fulani music is terrible in comparison.
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 03, 2012
Fulaman198:

The Wodaabe Fulani are the most pure Fulani today, meaning the Fulani least Westernized and least culturally influenced by Arabs. All Fulani were once Nomads, all of us once practiced a culture similar to the Wodaabe (minus the Gerewol) until 30 - 40 years ago when they sent out a Hausa bounty hunter to wipe out nomadic Fulani in Nigeria (many are now living in Cameroon and Central African republic). We still have many Fulani nomads today in Naija, I am 3rd generation Bororo but not a Ngaynaako (herdsman). The Wodaabe speak the exact same Fulani dialect as we do in Nigeria/Cameroon/Chad/Centr African Republic which makes me think a lot of things. The only way we are not similar to Wodaabe Fulani is the Gerewol, it is taboo (haram) to steal another mans wife. A woman is not allowed to look at another man if she is already married. These things are forbidden.

Also the men dressing up does not happen, only the women dress up. Our form of Pulaagu is a bit different from theres

In Fulani language (fulfulde), Wodaabe means "outcasts"

WOW!! Thanks for the info!! smiley

So you can watch a documentary on them without using the subtitles despite the distance between the different clans? That's amazing. It's also interesting how despite being Islamic they've maintained ancient traditions as well. After your explanation that unlike the other Fulani, only the Woodabe men dress up and can "steal wives", I now understand why they would be called "outcasts". smiley
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jun 03, 2012
Fulaman198: This is the Fulani song of Unity, I'm very proud of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSr8KHKJO7M&

Nigerian Fulani music is terrible in comparison.

That is a beautiful song. It's so peaceful. smiley
I heard her mention Senegal and Niger so I am assuming she is singing on behalf of all Fulani clans. smiley

Also are Fulanis considered Bantu?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1tN3SmDWs&feature=related

I have looked at pictures and documentaries and couldn't help notice how different
some of them look from each other. In the link above some people asked if they were Indian. grin

I've seen some who have the "traditional Bantu look" as well as others who have
what some would describe as "Caucasoid" (straight nose, and wavy/wool like hair).

[img]http://4.bp..com/_ZZ-IV1fd3wQ/SPh0QNnxtBI/AAAAAAAAAEE/5SD25r1rVQk/s400/DSC00354.JPG[/img]

Sorry for my gazillion questions! grin
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 03, 2012
ayanle456: so the fulani, where do they originaly hail from...their looks are compared to somalis from what i hear on nairaland. Are they muslim?

Yes, They are Islamic. smiley
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Fulaman198(m): 6:39pm On Jun 03, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

That is a beautiful song. It's so peaceful. smiley
I heard her mention Senegal and Niger so I am assuming she is singing on behalf of all Fulani clans. smiley

Also are Fulanis considered Bantu?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1tN3SmDWs&feature=related

I have looked at pictures and documentaries and couldn't help notice how different
some of them look from each other. In the link above some people asked if they were Indian. grin

I've seen some who have the "traditional Bantu look" as well as others who have
what some would describe as "Caucasoid" (straight nose, and wavy/wool like hair).

[img]http://4.bp..com/_ZZ-IV1fd3wQ/SPh0QNnxtBI/AAAAAAAAAEE/5SD25r1rVQk/s400/DSC00354.JPG[/img]

Sorry for my gazillion questions! grin

There are no Bantus in West Africa, therefore we are not Bantu. Bantu is a language group only found in East Africa, Central Africa and Southern Africa. North and West Africa both do not have Bantu groups.

We are black, we originate from Senegambia and Mauritania as our language is closely related to Wolof and Serer.

There is no such thing as Caucasoid and Negroid based on the definitions that white people have given. There are many black people who do not have noses that the term "Negroid" falls under. These racist terms were created long ago by a dumbo. Black and white I do go by, all Fulani consider themselves black, and we are proud to be it, we are not ashamed of our cultural identity.

Only Naive people ask if we are Indian, I find that very insulting. We are no less African or black than anyone else. Black people have many phenotypes so to say.
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jun 03, 2012
Fulaman198:

There are no Bantus in West Africa, therefore we are not Bantu. Bantu is a language group only found in East Africa, Central Africa and Southern Africa. North and West Africa both do not have Bantu groups.

We are black, we originate from Senegambia and Mauritania as our language is closely related to Wolof and Serer.

There is no such thing as Caucasoid and Negroid based on the definitions that white people have given. There are many black people who do not have noses that the term "Negroid" falls under. These racist terms were created long ago by a dumbo. Black and white I do go by, all Fulani consider themselves black, and we are proud to be it, we are not ashamed of our cultural identity.

Only Naive people ask if we are Indian, I find that very insulting. We are no less African or black than anyone else. Black people have many phenotypes so to say.

@bolded interesting. I read somewhere that they believed the Bantu people originated in west Africa (east Nigeria/West Cameroon) but migrated from the region. Hmmm...

At any rate, it just goes to show that "kinky hair, wide nose" is just ONE example of African features, but it doesn't mean having wooly/silky hair makes one any less African. So a Somali grin for example is still as African as Akon. wink Senegambia and Mauritania...now that is interesting. The reason I have a huge fascination with the Fulani ethnic group is because they pretty much show me how my ancestors lived. Although there were African kingdoms, the whole of Africa was really full of nomadic peoples. I am sure it was very hard for many of them (all nomads) to adjust to European imperialism because it forcefully grouped them with other Africans. Perhaps that explains the differences in the traditions of many groups who share the same origin (ex: your clan vs the woodabe).

I have a lot to learn I see.. smiley

In the west we have this notion that Africans where they are now, is where they originated from. *If I hadn't done any research I would have never known many east and central Africans are actually west or south African in origin and vice versa. That should explain why there are so many different physical features present all over Africa but more specifically within the different ethnic groups.

*Apparently some African Americans who took the "African Ancestry DNA test" found their ancestry as being "East African". smiley In fact one Jamo guy found out his ancestors were from the Arabian Peninsula and Egypt! grin
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Fulaman198(m): 7:34pm On Jun 03, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

@bolded interesting. I read somewhere that they believed the Bantu people originated in west Africa (east Nigeria/West Cameroon) but migrated from the region. Hmmm...

At any rate, it just goes to show that "kinky hair, wide nose" is just ONE example of African features, but it doesn't mean having wooly/silky hair makes one any less African. So a Somali grin for example is still as African as Akon. wink Senegambia and Mauritania...now that is interesting. The reason I have a huge fascination with the Fulani ethnic group is because they pretty much show me how my ancestors lived. Although there were African kingdoms, the whole of Africa was really full of nomadic peoples. I am sure it was very hard for many of them (all nomads) to adjust to European imperialism because it forcefully grouped them with other Africans. Perhaps that explains the differences in the traditions of many groups who share the same origin (ex: your clan vs the woodabe).

I have a lot to learn I see.. smiley

In the west we have this notion that Africans where they are now, is where they originated from. *If I hadn't done any research I would have never known many east and central Africans are actually west or south African in origin and vice versa. That should explain why there are so many different physical features present all over Africa but more specifically within the different ethnic groups.

*Apparently some African Americans who took the "African Ancestry DNA test" found their ancestry as being "East African". smiley In fact one Jamo guy found out his ancestors were from the Arabian Peninsula and Egypt! grin

All African Americans (I am assuming you are one) are of West African origin. None are from East Africa. There is another video I watched long ago that one of my white friends showed me it was a video on the Wodaabe Fulani and how the cattle that all Fulani herd (Zebu) were also the same cattle pictured in the Northern Sahara millenia ago in photos (pre-Arab times) when the Sahara was a lush and plush Savannah. Akon I believe is Wolof therefore he is related linguistically to us Fulani. Serer, Wolof and Fulfulde/Pular are in the Senegambian group of languages. They are all similar. As you know Senegambians tend to be tall. Senegalese are some of the tallest people in West Africa.

In the Fulani ethnic group there are at least 300 Fulani sub-groups like the Wodaabe, Tukulor (Fouta Tooro Fulani in Senegal), Gowabe, Jelogbe, Liptaako, Jalingo, Maasinkoobe, etc. etc. these are some of the various Fulani sub-groups united by one language and similar Fulani cultures in West Africa. Every large African ethnicity has various sub-groups (Hausa do too as well as Yoruba).
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by ayanle456: 8:21pm On Jun 03, 2012
bantu is not found in east africa . our languages are cushitic, and semetic in the horn. African americans are not from East Africa. Europeans during the times of slavery were afraid to go in horn africa cause it fell under the influence of muslims. Thats why christopher columbus sailed around the world inorder to avoid goin to india through the middle east.
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Fulaman198(m): 8:46pm On Jun 03, 2012
ayanle456: bantu is not found in east africa . our languages are cushitic, and semetic in the horn. African americans are not from East Africa. Europeans during the times of slavery were afraid to go in horn africa cause it fell under the influence of muslims. Thats why christopher columbus sailed around the world inorder to avoid goin to india through the middle east.

East Africa includes more than just Somalia, Ethiopia and Eritrea, it also includes Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, etc. where those countries do indeed have Bantu speakers.
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Fulaman198(m): 8:59pm On Jun 03, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

WOW!! Thanks for the info!! smiley

So you can watch a documentary on them without using the subtitles despite the distance between the different clans? That's amazing. It's also interesting how despite being Islamic they've maintained ancient traditions as well. After your explanation that unlike the other Fulani, only the Woodabe men dress up and can "steal wives", I now understand why they would be called "outcasts". smiley

Yes, I understand everything a Wodaabe Fulani person says, since their dialect is the same their Fulfulde also has the same words. The only Fulani I have the most difficulty understanding are the Fulani in Guinea and Southern Senegal. But Eastern Fulfulde (the variant spoken in Eastern Niger, Chad, Nigeria, Cameroon, etc.) are all the same.
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by somalia5: 5:39am On Sep 14, 2012
time to give this thread an injection of life.

awaaaake my child
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Rossikk(m): 6:46am On Sep 14, 2012
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by somalia5: 6:49am On Sep 14, 2012
Rossikk: Igbo beauty (Nigeria)

heavily make uped, middle age women, in proffessional picture doesnt mean beuty.
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Rossikk(m): 6:54am On Sep 14, 2012
Nigerian beauty.

Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Rossikk(m): 6:58am On Sep 14, 2012
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by somalia5: 7:07am On Sep 14, 2012
i know understand what the word she-male means. thanks for posting the pics to go along with the word transgendered
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Rossikk(m): 7:12am On Sep 14, 2012
I think they're absolutely gorgeous. cool grin

1 Like

Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 14, 2012
The first black african miss universe (or was it world?) Was nigerian. smiley

You posted her picture.
Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 14, 2012
Her.

Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by MrsChima1(f): 3:30pm On Sep 14, 2012
Anyless is enjoying the photos...he uses them for masturbatory purposes. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: An Honest Question From A Somali by somalia5: 6:10pm On Sep 14, 2012
Mrs..Chima:
Anyless is enjoying the photos...he uses them for masturbatory purposes. grin grin grin grin grin

lmao...those men with wigs cant make me stiff if i wanted to.

ur forgetting am somali. our women are angels. i have higher standards than cheap immitations who try to look somali by wearing weaves, makeup.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? / I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy / Pictures From Obodoukwu Festival Held In Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.