Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:42 AM

Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) (47922 Views)

Question: What Is Igbako In English? / How Do U Interprete 'Eku Amojuba' In English / Question !! What Is *sim Card* In Yoruba Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Joagbaje(m): 3:56pm On May 20, 2012
For example what is " E KÚ ILÉ ?
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by 2ru9jaman: 4:16pm On May 20, 2012
It means .... how comfortable has your sitting down been?
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by lusea1: 4:31pm On May 20, 2012
Eku ijoko means die sitting.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by youngwiz(m): 4:57pm On May 20, 2012
Excelboi: Primarily EKU means WELLDONE and JOKO means SIT. But it can mean two things when used as a sentence cos yourba language has diversified meaning. For example; EKU IJOKO may mean = Hope you re well sitted and the response will be ESE, adupe. (yes, thank you). And the other meaning can be hope you re comfortable.

But, all in all, if you want to use it as a greeting, just say; Hope you re well sitted!!! .....
OP, this is the right ansa to my own opinion.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by jogges: 6:31pm On May 20, 2012
literally eku ijoko can mean thanks for patience,thats if u've bn waitin for sum1 4 a long tym n d receptionist walks up to u ands says thanks or they appreciate ur patience.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Timijo(m): 7:31pm On May 20, 2012
ishmael: It means you're well sitted.
There is no word lyk wel sitted in d english dictionary. Although alot of people are fond of using it, but it is wrong. The correct word is sit tight or sit back
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Abioyeadewale: 12:00am On May 21, 2012
Fati99: lmao! you people sef, be serious joor. I like happy sitting but that's not it.

NB: I am not asking for the literal meaning of Ekujoko, I am asking you guys to tell me how to say that to someone in English Language.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Abioyeadewale: 12:01am On May 21, 2012
Fati99: lmao! you people sef, be serious joor. I like happy sitting but that's not it.

NB: I am not asking for the literal meaning of Ekujoko, I am asking you guys to tell me how to say that to someone in English Language.
well sitted, shikenah
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by chievo: 12:28am On May 21, 2012
geosegun: grin grin grin grin

EKU-IJOKO literary means WELL-DONE FOR YOUR PATIENCE WHILE STILL SEATED.

EKU here works as an adjective qualifying a Noun(IJOKO).
As in EKU-ISE which means WELL-DONE FOR WORKING SO HARD.
.......I am not a yoruba man but to add a liitle to your post..if you cme to where many are standing nd some are sitting, you can only direct, Eku Ijoko, to the one's sitting nd not the peopl standing... I believe it should be...."Greetings seated one" because after the eku ijoko the greeter also add other greetings. Meaning that eku ijoko, is to get the attention of the seated person...
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by olaheavy: 1:57am On May 21, 2012
First off, I observed that the OP him/herself is not a real Yoruba. He/she maybe one of those Igbo or other yinminrin offspring (in their millions) who were sired in Yorubaland by their immigrant Eastern parents. I mean no bonafide Yoruba would write 'jo' as 'joor.' This stupid erratum will only be committed by the folks who don't know better than to put a 'k' before a 'p' - as 'kpako' in lieu of 'pako.' Moreover, and as rightly put by @Ileke Idi, you Easterners (who are sheltered and succoured in Yorubaland) should please stick to your Biafran blah...blah... okay?
However and, having said that, many Eastern yinminrin and Biafran aj'okuta ma mumi are murdering our beautiful Yoruba language in their silly attempt at translation. Imagine Igbo hardened criminals saying that the words 'E ku' literally mean 'die' in English. What a bullcrap! Now, let a real Yoruba school you Igbo maggots. The words 'E ku' (for more than one person) or 'O ku' (for an individual) are used to encourage, goad, prop, prick, propel or 'appreciate' other folk's efforts, doings/deed, actions, undertakings, or achievements. In other words, they can be used as an appreciation of a long suffering task or laborious undertaking. For instance, when you pay a visit to a household or an office, after a while, your host or someone delegated might come over to where you're seated and say: 'e ku ijoko' or 'o ku ijoko.' This sentence simply means 'I/we appreciate your continued sitting!' Whereas, 'ijoko' is a seat -- 'e ku' or 'o ku,' in this wise, can only mean an appreciation of your long suffering sitting on a seat! In other words, they're encouraging words that goad you on, as in -- 'keep on sitting on that seat: your host will soon attend to you.' When you go to an 'agbalagba' (elderly person) or an oba (a king) in Yorubaland you're greeted or acknowledged repeatedly as in ' e ku' or 'o ku.' You will rather encourage a hardworking dude in Yorubaland, so as not to relent on his efforts, when you meet such a person in action by saying 'e ku ise'
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by olaheavy: 2:36am On May 21, 2012
(CONTINUED)
When you enter your house after a long trip or return from school or work the Yoruba custom mandates you to say 'e ku ile' to those who you meet indoor. And they inturn will say to you 'e ku abo' or 'o ku abo (k'aabo).' What you have essentially done is showing appreciation or awareness for their continued presence indoor while they inturn have just acknowledged your return from a long suffering trip. When you catch up with fellow wayfarers the universal wisdom is to say to them 'e ku iwaju o' - acknowledging the fact that they were before you. You have respected their being ahead of you before you now caught up with them. Not minding that you're possibly leaving them behind, they would readily and happily acknowledge your presence by saying simply 'ooo,' 'e ku abo o.' Or they may just advise you take it easy, as in 'e rora o,' 'pelepele o,' (NOTE THAT I DIDN'T WRITE 'kpelekpele' as the Igbos or other Easterners would. Real Yoruba don't put 'k' before 'p' lai lai!) Well, I think you get the drift now.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Emmyk(m): 3:59am On May 21, 2012
Lol. Datz d power of Yoruba language. You can express urself better than English..
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by slimyem: 9:46am On May 21, 2012
Idowuogbo: and dis deserves front page? smh!
go die if e dey pain you....cheesycheesy
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Idowuogbo(f): 9:48am On May 21, 2012
slimyem: go die if e dey pain you....cheesycheesy
Hang yourself first na undecided
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by geosegun(m): 9:59am On May 21, 2012
In a nutshell, EKU - in Yoruba language indicates/expresses Endurance/Patience.
EKU tries to praise the Object/Person for his/her act i.e endurance.

No one enjoys Standing for a long time as in EKU IDURO. EKU ISE, EKU IRIN-AJO, ETC

@OP; when and how do i get the recharge card o.

Many thanks
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by dendrite: 10:18am On May 21, 2012
You are well seated
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Fati99: 10:21am On May 21, 2012
olaheavy: First off, I observed that the OP him/herself is not a real Yoruba. He/she maybe one of those Igbo or other yinminrin offspring (in their millions) who were sired in Yorubaland by their immigrant Eastern parents. I mean no bonafide Yoruba would write 'jo' as 'joor.' This stupid erratum will only be committed by the folks who don't know better than to put a 'k' before a 'p' - as 'kpako' in lieu of 'pako.' Moreover, and as rightly put by @Ileke Idi, you Easterners (who are sheltered and succoured in Yorubaland) should please stick to your Biafran blah...blah... okay?
However and, having said that, many Eastern yinminrin and Biafran aj'okuta ma mumi are murdering our beautiful Yoruba language in their silly attempt at translation. Imagine Igbo hardened criminals saying that the words 'E ku' literally mean 'die' in English. What a bullcrap! Now, let a real Yoruba school you Igbo maggots. The words 'E ku' (for more than one person) or 'O ku' (for an individual) are used to encourage, goad, prop, prick, propel or 'appreciate' other folk's efforts, doings/deed, actions, undertakings, or achievements. In other words, they can be used as an appreciation of a long suffering task or laborious undertaking. For instance, when you pay a visit to a household or an office, after a while, your host or someone delegated might come over to where you're seated and say: 'e ku ijoko' or 'o ku ijoko.' This sentence simply means 'I/we appreciate your continued sitting!' Whereas, 'ijoko' is a seat -- 'e ku' or 'o ku,' in this wise, can only mean an appreciation of your long suffering sitting on a seat! In other words, they're encouraging words that goad you on, as in -- 'keep on sitting on that seat: your host will soon attend to you.' When you go to an 'agbalagba' (elderly person) or an oba (a king) in Yorubaland you're greeted or acknowledged repeatedly as in ' e ku' or 'o ku.' You will rather encourage a hardworking dude in Yorubaland, so as not to relent on his efforts, when you meet such a person in action by saying 'e ku ise'

Point of correction , I am Yoruba and a proud one at that. Joor is actually the 'internetspeak' for jo, just like we have 'toh badht' instead 'to bad', '9ja' as against 'Nigeria' . It's all fun, dislodge that huge trunk off your anus and have fun. Breathe!

For a self acclaimed 'real' Yoruba, you have no respect! I guess your knowledge of the Yoruba culture stops at the language; words and interpretations. You could have proceeded with your explanation (which is very good btw) without insulting a lot of people. A lai leko!
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Fati99: 10:24am On May 21, 2012
geosegun: In a nutshell, EKU - in Yoruba language indicates/expresses Endurance/Patience.
EKU tries to praise the Object/Person for his/her act i.e endurance.

No one enjoys Standing for a long time as in EKU IDURO. EKU ISE, EKU IRIN-AJO, ETC

@OP; when and how do i get the recharge card o.

Many thanks

lol @ how do i get the recharge card o, just post your network and number and I would send it you promptly. Thanks for your help. I highly appreciate it.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Hackomania(m): 11:41am On May 21, 2012
Please lets not be tribalistic ejoo, Some people know your native language more than you
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Baawaa(m): 12:05pm On May 21, 2012
Fati99: Wow, so many attempts. Thanks everybody but in my opinion geosegun is the closest and quite a number of people agree. At least I can always say "Thanks for being patient or thanks for your patience, the MD will see you in a moment". He is deserving of the recharge card.

Geosegun, please post the phone number/email address you would like me to send it to asap. Thanks. Once again, Thanks everybody.
I agree with you,but in case of someone come to your party this is more meaningful "Thanks for coming"
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by geosegun(m): 1:19pm On May 21, 2012
Baawaa:
I agree with you,but in case of someone come to your party this is more meaningful "Thanks for coming"

Please can you send me a personal mail on NL?
or better still send the numbers to geosegun@yahoo.com
I am not too comfortable sending my personal Number for public consumption.
you can send either MTN or Zain/Airtel recharge cards

Many thanks
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Fati99: 2:15pm On May 21, 2012
geosegun:

Please can you send me a personal mail on NL?
or better still send the numbers to geosegun@yahoo.com
I am not too comfortable sending my personal Number for public consumption.
you can send either MTN or Zain/Airtel recharge cards

Many thanks

Ok, check your inbox, I just sent it.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Brite02(m): 6:25pm On May 21, 2012
i asked a neighbour and she simply put.. Weldone for sit. So i think it mearnt weldone for sitting.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by geosegun(m): 6:59pm On May 21, 2012
Fati99:

Ok, check your inbox, I just sent it.

Many thanks. I got the card now.
You are one in a million.
I won't forget this in a hurry.

May your life be as rich as the Tertiary Niger delta Basin.
May your riches be a blessing and not a curse ooo.
Nice one Fati99 grin cool cool
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by echobee(f): 7:37pm On May 22, 2012
die sitting
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Dermie: 3:07am On May 26, 2012
Fati99: This question has been plaguing me for months and I would kindly like the well versed in English Language help me out.

Ekaabo is welcome but please what is Ekujoko in English Language? Our cleaner at the office said "welldone" and that doesn't make sense, imagine sitting down for hours waiting to see a person and then someone/the secretary tells you "welldone", it is annoying while my funny brother says it is "welldone sitting", lol.

So, Esteemed Nairalanders, what is Ekujoko in plain English or how do I greet someone who's been sitting for hours probably at the office/party etc Ekujoko.

The correct answer (adjudged by all) gets a recharge card, =N=500 any network.

[size=14pt]UPDATE:[/size]
Wow, so many attempts. Thanks everybody but in my opinion geosegun is the closest and quite a number of people agree. At least I can always say "Thanks for being patient or thanks for your patience, the MD will see you in a moment". He is deserving of the recharge card or what do you guys think? Please choose/like the best answer.

Eku Ijoko means "be happy while sitted.
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by illicit(m): 11:26pm On May 30, 2012
Ustec: Pls HW DO U NW SAY "EKU ILE" in English o?
Good day, or preferably Good day here!
Re: Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) by Heymus(m): 3:25pm On Jul 03, 2012
If u don't want the literally meaning then i think HAPPILY SITTED or ENJOY YOUR RELAXATION will be fine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Arab Origin Of The Yorubas / Ooni Of Ogunwusi & King Jaja Of Opobo Pictured / Obi Chukwuka Noah Akaeze Graduates From UK University (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.