Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,752 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

The Greatest Genocide In Human History - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Greatest Genocide In Human History (1804 Views)

Igbo Mythology Lesson: Why There Are Differences In Human Skin Color / 13 Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos / Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Greatest Genocide In Human History by Ptolomeus(m): 8:24pm On May 18, 2012
The slave trade caused havoc in Africa, which even today are felt. For four centuries this continent was the scene of wars and "raids" by the capture of slaves. Millions of Africans were exported to distant lands, as many millions died in forced marches to the coast and in warehouses waiting to be shipped.

This forced exodus of millions of people caused the decrease of vegetative growth of the African population, as men and women of childbearing age were sold.

Some researchers even say that between the fifteenth and nineteenth centuries the continent lost more than a hundred millions of men and women. Several African regions were almost totally depopulated. The researcher André Gunder Frank in his book The World Accumulation 1492-1789 puts the figure at 13,750,000 slaves brought to America between the sixteenth and nineteenth centuries, to which the researcher Enrique Peregalli add 25% for deaths on the way and a 25% more deaths in Africa because of the wars of capture, which makes a total of 20,625,000 Africans lost to the continent in that period ().

Similarly, it is estimated that during this period only from the coast of Angola to the ports of São Tomé and America were transported three million slaves. This explains why the most populated areas in the fifteenth century as the Congo, Ndongo and Quissana, in the seventeenth century were already depopulated.

Also, many people, the danger of slavery, abandoned their original areas, taking refuge in the interior regions, helping to depopulation.
In 1830, the Arabs were the main slave traders. Many boats Arab pangaios (), from different ports in northern Mozambique hauling large number of slaves to the Comoros and Madagascar. In the mid-nineteenth century, these traffickers change tissues by slaves. Ibo Island happened to be frequented by the Arabs of Zanzibar, Kilwa, Mombasa and especially those of the Comoros.

Since 1854, the slave trade to the French islands was renamed "free labor export." This was due to the traffic ban and control of the British in the Indian Ocean. In practice, this trade ended only in 1902.

As a measure of the extent of trafficking, serves the following table indicates the number of slaves shipped only from Mozambique to the Indian Ocean islands between 1720 and 1902 ():

Period Number of slaves

1720-1799 125,306

1800-1854 255,000

1855-1902 115,133

Total 495,439

Another example is the city of Zanzibar, one of the more evident that the slave trade. As of 1811, Zanzibar was exporting 6 to 10 thousand slaves per year. From 1839 it became a real center of the slave trade in the east coast of Africa. It is estimated that were sold between 40 and 45 thousand slaves per year.
Source: http://www.monografias.com/trabajos6/escla/escla.shtml
Re: The Greatest Genocide In Human History by Migan: 7:41am On Jun 27, 2012
@Ptolomeus...good post. Quick question. Are you African?.Meaning are you a black person? Did your people descend from enslaved Africans in your country or from somewhere else during the slave trade? Thanks.
Re: The Greatest Genocide In Human History by Ptolomeus(m): 5:15pm On Jun 27, 2012
Migan: @Ptolomeus...good post. Quick question. Are you African?.Meaning are you a black person? Did your people descend from enslaved Africans in your country or from somewhere else during the slave trade? Thanks.
Dear friend.
Thank you very much.
I was born and I live in Montevideo, Uruguay, South America.
My great-grandmother (the mother of my paternal grandmother) was African and slaves.
Re: The Greatest Genocide In Human History by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 27, 2012
Re: The Greatest Genocide In Human History by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 27, 2012
Lmfao@The Op Sig though...

You spitting truth..but that was the way of the world at the time...Blacks were just as Savage and Ruthless as the people who enslaved them and slaughtered them like Animals

Africans enslaved other Africans...

Ain't no Sympathy here...

The world is Evil

Human are Evil...all of us

I see no difference in what Europeans and Arabs did to blacks as what Blacks did to other Blacks and "Animals" as well

..The World is what it Is....

You might have 60 Good years on this thang...Enjoy it. Let go of the sympathy cry

I also don't agree with it being the worse Genocide.

Homosesuals may hold the rights to that claim...seeing as how since the beginning of time the slaughter has started and never ceased
Re: The Greatest Genocide In Human History by Ptolomeus(m): 8:02pm On Jun 27, 2012
Royal-VII:

You spitting truth..but that was the way of the world at the time...Blacks were just as Savage and Ruthless as the people who enslaved them and slaughtered them like Animals

The world is Evil

I see no difference in what Europeans and Arabs did to blacks as what Blacks did to other Blacks and "Animals" as well

You might have 60 Good years on this thang...Enjoy it. Let go of the sympathy cry

Homosesuals may hold the rights to that claim...seeing as how since the beginning of time the slaughter has started and never ceased

Dear friend Royal VII
We do not have to agree ...
It is important to disagree, to think otherwise, and do it respectfully, as you did.
It is true that the African caught African. It is true that the world is evil ...
It is also true that many homosexuals have been killed in the history of mankind.
Perhaps my humble post sought to inform, raise awareness of the figures, the numbers, the dates.
I am a foreigner, and unfortunately I do not see the issue in question frequently, and that all people really know what happened.
Thank you for your comment!
Re: The Greatest Genocide In Human History by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jul 23, 2018

The world is Evil

The kind slavery that existed in Africa isn't anywhere close to the kind of slavery the white men came with.

We have never been even as half as savage as the whites

(1) (Reply)

Is It Possible To Be Controlled From A Foreign Country By Witches? / Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? / Slaying Or Madness: Lady Carried By A Masquerade, Pics - Culture - Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.