Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,317 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? (9241 Views)

Help! My Laptop is now forever displaying "Hibernating" / What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop / Does Hibernating A Laptop Diminish Overall Battery Life Over Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by bamto(m): 8:00am On May 19, 2012
I need expert advice on which is preferable between hibernating and logging off a laptop when not in use. I've been hibernating it, following an advice by an Engineer. Now, all attempts to log-off have failed.
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by femi4: 11:41am On May 19, 2012
Logging out! Especially when u r not using it anytime soon
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Mcleo007(m): 2:21pm On May 19, 2012
Logging off is better
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by tessyade: 4:48pm On May 20, 2012
I wonder why anybody will advise you to hibernate when you can easily log off
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Maleeq(m): 8:10pm On May 20, 2012
bamto: I need expert advice on which is preferrable between hibernating and logging off a laptop when not in use. I've been hibernating it, following an advice by an Engineer. Now, all attempts to log-off have failed.
What do you mean by "Log-off fails"?

My laptop uptime is currently 21days...I hardly shutdown, I simply "suspend" it. And I haven't had any adverse effect on performance.

1 Like

Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Hackomania(m): 11:33am On May 21, 2012
Its kind of two-sided. Hibernation is fast, logging-off (or shutting down rather) is slow. if you do a lot of work and would not want to close the windows before taking a nap, hibernation is the best bet. No need to hibernate when you plan on continuing where you stopped maybe in the middle of a game or a design. In short, hibernation is best, only when you don't do things that can modify the system (like program installation, drivers, registry, etc). But if you are the type that plays around with your computer, then you need to shut down once in a while, at least to ease troubleshooting if anything happens. Enough story already. The choice is yours.

And moreover, why did logging-off fail?
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by tessyade: 12:44pm On May 21, 2012
Hackomania:
And moreover, why did logging-off fail?
Maybe because the system is so use to hibernating hence "log off" refuse to function. You know computer can be very funny at times. I still think the best is to log off except you want to take a short break of say ten minutes.
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by velo10: 1:20pm On May 21, 2012
i prefer hiberbation
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by bamto(m): 10:40am On May 30, 2012
Thanks. I mean when I try to shut down now, it reboots itself. Guess the periodic window upgrade it does affected it.
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Dondbuzor: 6:54am On May 31, 2012
bamto: Thanks. I mean when I try to shut down now, it reboots itself. Guess the periodic window upgrade it does affected it.

That's d result of over hibernation.
May be your engiineer forget to tell u that over hibernation kills system
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by megxo(m): 1:28pm On May 31, 2012
perhaps live it on sleep mode if u're d pc geek type,...............doz hu did d computer knew y de had several options dia....
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by sylve11: 1:36pm On May 31, 2012
I think that ur engineer is not happy with u owning a laptop. cool

1 Like

Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by ismhab(m): 1:38pm On May 31, 2012
ALL OF THE 2.
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Yorisb: 1:38pm On May 31, 2012
Logging out
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:39pm On May 31, 2012
hibernating is for when you know that you would be back in short while to resume from where you left

eg 1 hr or 2 etc

log off is when there is more than one user of the pc and you log off from your pc account and the pc remains on

personally i prefer to shut down my pc any work i was doing i save it and for web pages i just add the current page to my favourites and delete it on next log but after i have finished the business with it
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by brabus(m): 1:39pm On May 31, 2012
Why do I have to login and logout when I'm using my personal laptop or PC? I'm a Mac user and I just close my laptop whenever I'm stressed up (sleep mode).

I do hibernate my windows pc and laptops. Maybe a slowpoke would advice you to logoff or shutdown at all times sha.
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 31, 2012
I cant remember the last time my I hit the "shut-down" button. Always "sleep" mine, except i used all the bat3 power and it goes off on its own. Laptop was not meant to last forever anyway.
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by kennyakinmade: 1:42pm On May 31, 2012
logging out is the best
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by lifestyle1(m): 1:42pm On May 31, 2012
Please read what i got online about hibernating

Hibernation

Hibernation in computing is powering down a computer while retaining its state.

Upon hibernation, the computer saves the contents of its random access memory (RAM) to a hard disk or other non-volatile storage. Upon resumption, the computer is exactly as it was upon entering hibernation.

When used to save power, hibernation is similar to sleep mode and saves more power at the cost of slower resumption.

Uses of hibernation

Hibernation saves electrical power. After hibernating, the hardware is completely powered down (just like for a regular shutdown). Therefore a hibernated machine uses no more electrical power than one which is switched off. Meanwhile, hibernation is a means of avoiding the burden of saving unsaved data before shutting down and restoring all running programs after powering back on.

Hibernation is used in laptops, which have limited battery power available. It can be set to happen automatically on a low battery alarm. Most desktops also support hibernation, mainly as a general energy saving measure.

Problems with hibernation

In some cases entering into hibernation can cause incorrect operation on restarting, due to problems with the hibernation software, or with devices or software which is not fully compliant. Hibernation will also usually cause connections to peripheral devices to terminate; this may cause problems for peripherals that were in use when hibernation started.[citation needed]

Some organizations (mainly large enterprises) mandate automatic hibernation (e.g. as a network policy) if a computer system has been idle for a certain amount of time, mainly as an energy saving measure. This saves some energy at the cost of some lost productivity waiting for the state to be restored.

Personally i will advice you to shut down your computer if you are not using it.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by ismhab(m): 1:44pm On May 31, 2012
sylve11: I think that ur engineer is not happy with u owning a laptop. cool
DO U MEAN HER ENGINEER IS MUGU.
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Nobody: 1:49pm On May 31, 2012
Hibernating is way better than logging off

1 Like

Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Sike(m): 1:51pm On May 31, 2012
Mcleo007: Logging off is better
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Slyr0x: 1:54pm On May 31, 2012
Well it depends. .

If you aint doing anything so serious on your PC you can always log off but then if you've got unsaved documents or programs you don't wanna close, then hibernate.

Personally, I hibernate all thru the week and then shutdown on weekends.
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 31, 2012
I hibernate it always . . .start up and programme loading can be bitchy at times when restarting after logging off.

1 Like

Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Afam4eva(m): 2:05pm On May 31, 2012
I've been wanting to ask same question because i've never shut down my system in 3 years. I only hibernate.

3 Likes

Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by egift(m): 2:06pm On May 31, 2012
With my laptop I simply modified the power options the way I prefer it best. Below are my options (base on my modification):
- Password is required to access my system irrespective of any startup modes.
- I disable Guest and Administrator anonymous logon.
- Closing the Lip of the system do not do anything.
- Pressing Power button "Hibernate"
- Changed the default Shutdown button Hibernate
- Log off/Switch User/Lock takes you to the Passworded logon screen
- If am out within minutes, I "Lock"
- If going out for hours, I "Hibernate"
- If not to be used for days, I shut down.
- I don't use sleep, it keep using up power. But my system sleeps in 2hr if not touched (yeah I extended it)
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by manny4life(m): 2:08pm On May 31, 2012
I "RARELY" shut down my computer, my computer is always in hibernate mode. Although, I shut it down once every 3 months just to perform maintenance task like deleting unwanted files and program, run virus checker etc.
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by egift(m): 2:10pm On May 31, 2012
afam4eva: I've been wanting to ask same question because i've never shut down my system in 3 years. I only hibernate.

Me too. All the window I was running are always there. It encourages "Continuity" grin
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by sylve11: 2:11pm On May 31, 2012
ismhab:
DO U MEAN HER ENGINEER IS MUGU.

Na u talk am o! smiley cool
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by Piyke: 2:14pm On May 31, 2012
Maleeq:
What do you mean by "Log-off fails"?

My laptop uptime is currently 21days...I hardly shutdown, I simply "suspend" it. And I haven't had any adverse effect on performance.

I use to almost never shut down until I started noticing a lot of blue screen errors upon coming out of hibernation after years of constant hibernation with few shut downs.

Presently what I do is: I hibernate through out the day but shut down when going to bed, except when i have something being carried over to the next day.

I'll advice every other person to do same, to prevent corruption of files
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by denzel2009: 2:25pm On May 31, 2012
afam4eva: I've been wanting to ask same question because i've never shut down my system in 3 years. I only hibernate.

If all you do on the computer is facebook and nairaland, you can get away with not shutting down for 3 yrs. There are some services that need to be restarted for your computer to give optimum performance.
Re: Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? by olaezebala: 2:29pm On May 31, 2012
It depends on the kind of work u use ur system for. If u are the type that only watch film, listen to music or just play around on the internet, then shut down ur system. If u happen to be my type that takes writing code as a wife, then shutting down will not come to ur mind for a very long time. Personally, I can't remember the last time I shut down or Log off my system. For over a year now, is either I hibernate or put it to sleep but I made sure I disabled windows update for fear of known enemy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device / Dell Latitude E7240 (128gb Ssd, 12gb Ram, Core15, Backlit) 65k / How Important is the Internet to You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.