Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,332 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

As The London Olympics Approaches - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / As The London Olympics Approaches (580 Views)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 / London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

As The London Olympics Approaches by Nobody: 10:09am On May 20, 2012
As a patriotic Nigerian, my greatest fear is Nigeria representing at this London Olympics and not winning a single Gold Medal. It has happened so many times in the past, and it could happen again. I find it strange though, because of our sheer population of 150 million.

If we look at the Caribbean, they mightily excel in Track and Fields more than we ever dream of, considering their small Population. This could mean that they are more likely to win Gold Medals more than the whole of the West-African region combined at the Olympics.

Do I envy them? No, but with our huge population ( which should be an advantage) and the vast resources we could throw into training our athletes, we should be winning Gold Medals more often at the Olympics.

The answer could well be our apathy toward all other sports except football in Nigeria?

OR

Our Parent's insistence on education and disregard for sports?

Share your thoughts please.

(1) (Reply)

Fernando Torres Has Ended Goal Drought For Spain. / Egypt Misses Nations Cup Again / Nigeria Skating Championship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.