Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:15 PM

Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books (12160 Views)

Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart Should Be Banned - Femi Robinson / The Unbreakable Record Of Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart" / Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart" Has Sold Over 10 Million Copies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Nobody: 7:09pm On May 21, 2012
PHIPEX:

Who over-rated it? Is it the people that translated it to 60 Languages, the people that did this survey or Nigerians and other individuals all over the World that have read it at one time or the other?

Abeg clearify. shocked

George Bush's war declaration speech on Iraq was translated to how many languages? Translation to several languages is not the strength of a book or depicts it's artistic value. If Shekau issues a statement today to bomb all the embassies in Abuja, his statement, I can assure you would get translated to all languages available within the shortest time possible. Among the books quoted in the top fifty, how many of them have also been similarly translated to sixty languages and thus accorded a space because of so called translation?

It does not matter the nationality of the people that carried out the survey. Others with similar pedigree can spring up tomorrow without listing Achebe's Things Fall Apart in the top 100. What will you call them? That they are not credible or mischievous?

Now, tell me what's great or spectacular in Things' Fall Apart besides the proverbs which are not product of Achebe's imaginations but are rightful property of Igbo? He merely help publicized such proverbs. What's the in thing there that differentiate it from other books on the shelf? Is it the simplicity of Achebe's writing or what?
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by dont8(m): 7:14pm On May 21, 2012
kayusfit: @dont8; e no go better for u and your fellow igbos. Na me u deh use style talk to abi? Useless low life
I won't be tempted to join issues with you, but it's not too late to change your thinking faculty if that's how you're in real life, cheers.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by ajanaku2(m): 7:17pm On May 21, 2012
I read that book twice...Firstly, as a Literature text in S.S 1 and secondly, for Pleasure several years later...I must confess, that book is a Masterpiece. I was at a Bookshop sometimes last year to get a Book for a Professional course and behold I saw "Things Fall Apart" on one of the Shelves...Even though I had read it before, I bought the book and gave it to a Teenage Cousin of Mine...

...As an inquisitive Yoruba Guy, I got to learn a lot about the Ibo Culture and some cool Ibo Proverbs...I remember some...

"The Constant nodding of a Lizard does not mean that all is Well"...Okonkwo

"All Lizards lie on their belly. How can One tell which of them has bellyache" (Did I get that right?)...Okonkwo

"The lizard that jumped from the high Iroko tree to the ground said he would praise himself if no one else did"...Okonkwo...

...and some Ibo words too:

Agadi Nwanyi (Old Woman)
Nneka (Mother is Supreme)

I really think the book deserves to be among the list...I read some of his other books (No longer at ease AND A Man of the People)later on and I was not impressed...Nevertheless, Chinua Achebe is indeed a great Man!
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by PHIPEX(m): 7:39pm On May 21, 2012
bayooooooo:

George Bush's war declaration speech on Iraq was translated to how many languages? Translation to several languages is not the strength of a book or depicts it's artistic value. If Shekau issues a statement today to bomb all the embassies in Abuja, his statement, I can assure you would get translated to all languages available within the shortest time possible. Among the books quoted in the top fifty, how many of them have also been similarly translated to sixty languages and thus accorded a space because of so called translation?

It does not matter the nationality of the people that carried out the survey. Others with similar pedigree can spring up tomorrow without listing Achebe's Things Fall Apart in the top 100. What will you call them? That they are not credible or mischievous?

Now, tell me what's great or spectacular in Things' Fall Apart besides the proverbs which are not product of Achebe's imaginations but are rightful property of Igbo? He merely help publicized such proverbs. What's the in thing there that differentiate it from other books on the shelf? Is it the simplicity of Achebe's writing or what?

What you just stated is like a 2:1 graduate argueing that there is no difference btw him and a First Class graduate afterall its just a difference of few marks. Bros lets give honour to whom honour is due. Whether you believe it or not the difference between a Champion and a runner-up in a football competition could be a single goal. Achebe is a Genus and his book is a Numero uno.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 21, 2012
ajanaku2: I read that book twice...Firstly, as a Literature text in S.S 1 and secondly, for Pleasure several years later...I must confess, that book is a Masterpiece. I was at a Bookshop sometimes last year to get a Book for a Professional course and behold I saw "Things Fall Apart" on one of the Shelves...Even though I had read it before, I bought the book and gave it to a Teenage Cousin of Mine...

...As an inquisitive Yoruba Guy, I got to learn a lot about the Ibo Culture and some cool Ibo Proverbs...I remember some...

"The Constant nodding of a Lizard does not mean that all is Well"...Okonkwo

"All Lizards lie on their belly. How can One tell which of them has bellyache" (Did I get that right?)...Okonkwo

"The lizard that jumped from the high Iroko tree to the ground said he would praise himself if no one else did"...Okonkwo...

...and some Ibo words too:

Agadi Nwanyi (Old Woman)
Nneka (Mother is Supreme)

I really think the book deserves to be among the list...I read some of his other books (No longer at ease AND A Man of the People)later on and I was not impressed...Nevertheless, Chinua Achebe is indeed a great Man!

tenk u tenk u 4 ur 9ce coment. Try n read chima amanda's books also. She be our pikin too. Up igbos up quality education.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by malc619(m): 7:43pm On May 21, 2012
kayusfit: @bayoo; honestly i don't like the hype given to the damn book. Igbo's are bunch of loosers and since they don't have the chance to rule this country, let them rule over literature. If i have my was i will poison all the igbo's in the east. I hate them with passion and i pray boko haram will soon visit them and blow out the rotten carcass of their coward ojukwu

I wonder where Seun's Moderators are!!!!
Like I said earlier, I think Seun enjoys d tribal wars if not some comments shouldn't ßξ here.
@topic: Chinua Achebe is a great writer, one of the greatest Africans...
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Nickydrake(m): 8:24pm On May 21, 2012
I'm quite sure any avid reader could readily come up with a sizeable list of books which he is convinced deserve a rung in the rankings.

Some will have valid reasons for their recommendations and others will just blabber about how much they like the book, as though such lists are compiled based entirely on individual preferences.

A number of books on the list are foreign to me, and i also think some listed ones have been undeservedly honoured. I agree with a number of 'notable omissions' suggested by some nairalanders here, and at the same time i feel some of such suggestions are wholly unremarkable and worthy of neglect.

This doesn't make them wrong or me right.

I'm considerably sure that if ten separate groups of 'scholars' or literary critics were each asked to come up with a Top Fifty Most Influential Books list, and selections were to be made based on the same parameters, no two groups would emerge with an identical list.

We're talking about the arts here. Variety. Flexibility. Diversity.

Congrats to Achebe. That book is one of the very few works of Nigerian literature i've read, and i believe it really is classic.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 21, 2012
PHIPEX:

What you just stated is like a 2:1 graduate argueing that there is no difference btw him and a First Class graduate afterall its just a difference of few marks. Bros lets give honour to whom honour is due. Whether you believe it or not the difference between a Champion and a runner-up in a football competition could be a single goal. Achebe is a Genus and his book is a Numero uno.

No, you got it all wrong. I am not comparing Achebe with a particular candidate and as such your analogy does not add up.
Who are the First Class and the 2:1 candidates, the champions and runners up in this case?

Achebe is a great story teller but it's an exaggeration of unimaginable proportion to double him as the greatest African writer as some people tend to say or believe. He is very far from such a description.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by kutchs: 8:50pm On May 21, 2012
@Bayooooo having dismissed Achebe as not the most influential permit me to ask you who you think is. Having a book translated into 60 diff laguages shows the appeal and influence of that book, it shows that pple like the book and would want to read it in their own languages. You and kayusfit may not like Ndigbo but cmon give the oldman his due honour. Denying the book‘s greatness would not add to urs.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Abbycite(m): 8:56pm On May 21, 2012
Am a Yoruba guy, but I think dis time around I'll like to give honour to whom is due. D book is something else. Hav read it several times and I want to use dis medium to say if u read d book and u're not still convinced, then sumtin is wrong wit ur brain...its not about d story alone, its about d setting, d simplicity, d moral and so on....d book is not definitely d greatest in Africa but if u're an ardent reader of african literature, u'll feel d influence in every book....sometime I wonder if d nobel award was a case of mistaken identity because putting d recipient (soyinka) and achebe side by side, d later was miles ahead.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by ak47mann(m): 9:00pm On May 21, 2012
kayusfit: What is with this over hyped Achebe sef? I know all the bloody igbos will be worshiping him now that their coward ojukwu is rotting in hell presently. Things fall apart ko, things fall for ground ni. Many great scholars in yoruba land and yet we no dey make noise. his books should be burnt and he should be tied and shot dead. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
if we start on yorubas you will be the first to run to MOD blody cowards.I dont no why you people like bringing bad name to your tribe........
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Jenticles(f): 9:10pm On May 21, 2012
@Kayusfit u really need 2 grow up
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Nobody: 9:33pm On May 21, 2012
kutchs: @Bayooooo having dismissed Achebe as not the most influential permit me to ask you who you think is. Having a book translated into 60 diff laguages shows the appeal and influence of that book, it shows that pple like the book and would want to read it in their own languages. You and kayusfit may not like Ndigbo but cmon give the oldman his due honour. Denying the book‘s greatness would not add to urs.

I have nothing against Igbo or any other ethnic group for that matter. Check my posts, I have not said Things' Fall Apart is not a masterpiece. On the contrary, I have admitted that the work itself is a great piece and truly appealing to read. However, I am of the opinion that the book is being exaggerated and I have pointed out a few in my earlier posts in that regard.

Now to Achebe, if he is supposed greatness is built on Things Fall Apart and nothing else, then he can not be the African Greatest Writer as there are several with compelling novels as well. Translation to several languages does not depict the strength of his novel. It does not add anything to the artistic value.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by opokonwa(m): 9:45pm On May 21, 2012
Darui:
I normally don't like to see my handle on threads that will surely lead to tribal bashing but seriously, dude, you have. Not. Read Things fall apart?

I have not my brother, a personal failure. embarassed
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Mcdondayan: 9:50pm On May 21, 2012
Kayusfit just wants 2 b noticed. Ok we ve noticed u. Can sane minded people nw interact? 1st considering how long ago that bk was written nd it still wins accolades nd recognition goes a long way to tell us that the book was not over hyped. Also it has over 60 translations and counting. It on the account of this work that the writer was named one of the top 3 most influential pple in africa, was offered 1.5million dollars for the name thing fall apart to be used as a movie title by a hollywood film maker which he refused, has been given so many international awards and national awards which he refused. Those who have nt read d bk shld try nd read it nd u will give glory to God for the gift of intelligence. Prof, u are Africa's finest. Pls nobody shld reply d post of some envious pple, they just complete the cycle. Cos in lyf some pple ll be angry dat u re doing great, but silence is the best answer to a fo.......
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by OkparaIgbo: 9:53pm On May 21, 2012
Awwwww I feel pity for Yoruba's and haawusa's who are brimming with jealousy. wink wink.
Who was the Woman who was in contention for the World Bank Position again..? Oooh sorry I remember she is Nne ora Ngozi Okonji Iweala (Ada Igbo) grin grin. Who is number one in the world for 50 most Influential books.. Oooh sorry I am on the page I'm sure its Chinua Achebe. Dike Igbo doing wonders (Okpara Igbo). wink
Ok who was the man that was caught trying to explode a plane enroute the USA. Oooh I remember is Abmutallab (Onye Haawusa) shocked shocked shocked. And by the way who was the phat arse woman that broke the record on the amount of drugs ever concealed in the inner parts (Including phat arse... cheesy) Oooh I remember Bola Adebisi is her name. hahaha (onye Yoruba) angry angry sad
Anyone still surprised why they are fumming with anger and jealousy..? lipsrsealed. Forget People who God has blessed...No Man can Curse. NDI-IGBO ARE A BLESSED PEOPLE.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 21, 2012
Abbycite: Am a Yoruba guy, but I think dis time around I'll like to give honour to whom is due. D book is something else. Hav read it several times and I want to use dis medium to say if u read d book and u're not still convinced, then sumtin is wrong wit ur brain...its not about d story alone, its about d setting, d simplicity, d moral and so on....d book is not definitely d greatest in Africa but if u're an ardent reader of african literature, u'll feel d influence in every book....sometime I wonder if d nobel award was a case of mistaken identity because putting d recipient (soyinka) and achebe side by side, d later was miles ahead.

The first part in bold is true. So no argument.

The second part is not only false but also mischievous. Now tell me, in what way(s) is Achebe better than Soyinka that warrant your dubious characterization of mistaken identity?

Soyinka won this award in 1986, 26yrs ago and yet the so called mistaken identity has not been corrected. Is there a law that says two persons from same country can not win the prize? You think the Nobel Committee is moved by the number of languages a work is translated to or the number of lists keeps popping up on Wikipedia as the best literary minds in the world. I am waiting for when the Nobel prize will be awarded to Bible for being the most translated books on earth.

Achebe is good at telling story and is arguably the best story teller on the continent but that does not translate to him being the greatest literary mind on the continent. We rush to deify our people because we are hungry for heroes. We call them the best, the greatest, the most known, the superstar meanwhile we have not taken the pains to assess works from other parts of Africa. How many Kenya Authors have you read? How many of them can you, in all objectivity, say are inferior to Achebe or Soyinka?

I personally don't subscribe to the Scandinavians dictating the best minds on African soils but you cant fault them on the choice of the Nobel prize as the evidence is glaring enough for all to see.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:10pm On May 21, 2012
kayusfit: @bayoo; honestly i don't like the hype given to the damn book. Igbo's are bunch of loosers and since they don't have the chance to rule this country, let them rule over literature. If i have my was i will poison all the igbo's in the east. I hate them with passion and i pray boko haram will soon visit them and blow out the rotten carcass of their coward ojukwu

Dude,you dey vexooo! On a serious note; Do you hate the Igbos that much and if you do what did they do to you to make you feel like that ?
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by OkparaIgbo: 10:10pm On May 21, 2012
Ahhhh Bayoooo na so e dey pain you reach..?? Please Tell me which If any prizes that has been given to Wole Soyinka in comparison to Dike Chinua Achebe. Abeg g o and ask the oyibo and men who matter within the scene of literature why Achebe is the name on their lips everytime (Not once, not twice but everytime). cheesy kiss Bro who Jah don bless no one not even you or your antics can curse. smiley

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 21, 2012
Mcdondayan: Kayusfit just wants 2 b noticed. Ok we ve noticed u. Can sane minded people nw interact? 1st considering how long ago that bk was written nd it still wins accolades nd recognition goes a long way to tell us that the book was not over hyped. Also it has over 60 translations and counting. It on the account of this work that the writer was named one of the top 3 most influential pple in africa, was offered 1.5million dollars for the name thing fall apart to be used as a movie title by a hollywood film maker which he refused, has been given so many international awards and national awards which he refused. Those who have nt read d bk shld try nd read it nd u will give glory to God for the gift of intelligence. Prof, u are Africa's finest. Pls nobody shld reply d post of some envious pple, they just complete the cycle. Cos in lyf some pple ll be angry dat u re doing great, but silence is the best answer to a fo.......

Now what's he scope of influence in Africa? What's he influencing or controlling? Many patently laughable lists keep coming out and of course because we are heroes seeking people, we take them without rationalization.

What's the big deal in refusing awards? Gani refused national honours, Gbajabiamila refused the same dishonour termed national honours. It's not a big deal. Even, Jean-Paul Sartre refused or declined the Nobel prize. Now the so called African Finest has not even been given the highest literary award and yet you called him all sorts of deified names? At the last counts, four African personalities have won this award and yet your so called finest, so called greatest, so called best known has not even been able to get it?

OH, I understand, the Nobel Committee are also envious of Igbo. They are also willing to condemn anything Igbo and they are oblivious of the fact that the book has been translated to several languages. I laugh no be small.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 21, 2012
OkparaIgbo: [b]Ahhhh Bayoooo na so e dey pain you reach..?? Please Tell me which If any prizes that has been given to Wole Soyinka in comparison to Dike Chinua Achebe. Abeg g o and ask the oyibo and men who matter within the scene of literature why Achebe is the name on their lips everytime (Not once, not twice but everytime). cheesy kiss Bro who Jah don bless no one not even you or your antics can curse. smiley[/b]

The first part in bold is laughable. Nothing dey pain me oooooooooooooooooo. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The second part should be other way round, the award that Soyinka won that Achebe had not be able to garner even for twenty six years running.

The third part is the most funny, but for your information the Nobel prize was given to Soyinka not by black men.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by opokonwa(m): 10:26pm On May 21, 2012
What is most noble about the author is that he lets others do the talking for him. He has never revelled publicly in his work.

@bayooooo, And yes, the greatness of a book is well measured by how many languages and cultures that it is translated to. This is one of the reasons the Bible is a best-seller today, from Hebrew to Aramaic, from Greek to Roman, English to French, Igbo to Yoruba, etc. Ths is an undisputable measure of success.

I cannot attempt to translate a book from English to French for instance if is it is not a very very very hot property, as in ogbono feli feli!! If a book does not make impact in English language (as in a power-slam impact), how less it will in another, not to talk of 60 languages!
60 languages and still counting shows its wide appreciation even from people who do not appreciate African culture.

Your attempt to discredit the book by comparing its spread to that of war speeches or bomb statements only reflects your deep resentments for the accomplishments of your fellow country man. Books are not speeches and this book was written at a time when access to new age media, internet, mobile phones, Tweeter, Facebook et al did not exist, yet it spread like wild fire!
The so-called war speech or bomb threat will spread because of the new age media simple.
So, compare Apple with Apple, Book for Book.

If you are still not convinced, try writing a book in Yoruba or English and let us see how many languages it will get to before obscurity gets to it first.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by tpia5: 10:35pm On May 21, 2012
one of the reasons for the book being considered influential no doubt [though i dont know who wrote the list or what criteria were used], is the fact that things fall apart gives an insight into the workings of igbo society, and the igbo mind or worldview.

the area called bight of biafra, was considered more or less a gateway to the heart of africa- central africa and thereabouts.

the other gateway was somewhere around the east african coast, i guess. But arabs already had a heavy presence there.

so, the bight was important to european exploration of central africa.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by OkparaIgbo: 10:41pm On May 21, 2012
bayooooooo:

The first part in bold is laughable. Nothing dey pain me oooooooooooooooooo. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The second part should be other way round, the award that Soyinka won that Achebe had not be able to garner even for twenty six years running.

The third part is the most funny, but for your information the Nobel prize was given to Soyinka not by black men.

Ok if e no dey pain you as it clearly depicts then accept that he is a Literature genius as has been continually publicly appreciated. Yh the Nobel Prize you mentioned has not been received by Achebe but he has received many more and continue to receive decades after his publication. Chinụalụmọgụ Achebe your name is special and your gift unique. Keep moving forward African son and most Importantly Igbo son.

@ Awwwww I feel pity for Yoruba's and haawusa's who are brimming with jealousy. cry Who was the Woman who was in contention for the World Bank Position again..? huh Oooh sorry I remember she is Nne ora Ngozi Okonji Iweala (Ada Igbo) kiss grin. Who is number one in the world for 50 most Influential books..huh Oooh sorry I am on the page I'm sure its Chinua Achebe. Dike Igbo doing wonders (Okpara Igbo).wink
Ok who was the man that was caught trying to explode a plane enroute the USA. huh huh Oooh I remember is Abmutallab (Onye Haawusa) shocked . And by the way who was the phat arse woman that broke the record on the amount of drugs ever concealed in the inner parts (Including phat arse... embarassed) Oooh I remember Bola Adebisi is her name. hahaha (onye Yoruba) angry undecided
Anyone still surprised why they are fumming with anger and jealousy..? huh lipsrsealed. Forget People who God has blessed...No Man can Curse. NDI-IGBO ARE A BLESSED PEOPLE.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by kutchs: 10:46pm On May 21, 2012
Bayoooo just admit to urself that jealousy has got the better part of u. I cant imagine any sane person saying that translation of a book into ova 60 langs is not an evidence of how well the book is appreciated. That the book was translated into Italian shows Italians want to read itl same with Spaniards, French, Chinese etc. Name just one other book in Africa you know to have earn such honour.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Nobody: 10:47pm On May 21, 2012
opokonwa: What is most noble about the author is that he lets others do the talking for him. He has never revelled publicly in his work.

@bayooooo, And yes, the greatness of a book is well measured by how many languages and cultures that it is translated to. This is one of the reasons the Bible is a best-seller today, from Hebrew to Aramaic, from Greek to Roman, English to French, Igbo to Yoruba, etc. Ths is an undisputable measure of success.

I cannot attempt to translate a book from English to French for instance if is it is not a very very very hot property, as in ogbono feli feli!! If a book does not make impact in English language (as in a power-slam impact), how less it will in another, not to talk of 60 languages!
60 languages and still counting shows its wide appreciation even from people who do not appreciate African culture.

Your attempt to discredit the book by comparing its spread to that of war speeches or bomb statements only reflects your deep resentments for the accomplishments of your fellow country man. Books are not speeches and this book was written at a time when access to new age media, internet, mobile phones, Tweeter, Facebook et al did not exist, yet it spread like wild fire!
The so-called war speech or bomb threat will spread because of the new age media simple.
So, compare Apple with Apple, Book for Book.

If you are still not convinced, try writing a book in Yoruba or English and let us see how many languages it will get to before obscurity gets to it first.

I am happy we are moving away from insults and now discussing the real issue, the artistic value of the book, what makes it appealing amd what's there for all or others to assess or learn.

There is nothing wrong in saying you are the best if you are truly the best.It's not arrogance, it's not pride. Let other come forward and dispute it. But everything is wrong if you claim to be the best while you are not and as such I give it to him for keeping mute. He is not the best but one of the very best.

Now the Quaran is as nearly translated as the Bible, does that mean the artistic value of the two books are great? If someone writes a chemistry textbook that all students are willing to buy and read, does that make the professor an accomplished one or deserving of being the best chemistry professor? It takes much more than that and we all know it.

The hype of the book is based on the number of languages it has been translated to and I mentioned speeches that can get translated within minutes without having any artistic value to correct the erroneous impression that translation depicts the strength of the novel. Same thing is applicable to the bible, it gets translated not because of it's artistic or literary excellence but primarily driven by the content, the so called message from God. Achebe's book translation is driven by the content or the so called story of colonialism in Africa not as a result of it being a literary excellence piece that must be read by all aspiring potential literary minds.

I don't write books, there is no point to proof to anyone. If Things Fall Apart had been written in Igbo, obscurity would have masked it as well. So it's not a big deal.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by PHIPEX(m): 10:50pm On May 21, 2012
bayooooooo:

I have nothing against Igbo or any other ethnic group for that matter. Check my posts, I have not said Things' Fall Apart is not a masterpiece. On the contrary, I have admitted that the work itself is a great piece and truly appealing to read. However, I am of the opinion that the book is being exaggerated and I have pointed out a few in my earlier posts in that regard.

Now to Achebe, if he is supposed greatness is built on Things Fall Apart and nothing else, then he can not be the African Greatest Writer as there are several with compelling novels as well. Translation to several languages does not depict the strength of his novel. It does not add anything to the artistic value.

You have said so much about the book not being great enough but can you list what you think should be the criteria for judging great books? It could help us recognise the greatest next time.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by nsiadi: 10:51pm On May 21, 2012
Nobody is begging anybody to like Achebe
However, haters can send their queries to the group who drew-up the list
Many things we dont appreciate is that only a section of the country will buy into Awo if he were shares
He caused deaths of many & was swayed by the love of money to dance naked in the market
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by opokonwa(m): 10:53pm On May 21, 2012
bayooooooo:

Now what's he scope of influence in Africa? What's he influencing or controlling? Many patently laughable lists keep coming out and of course because we are heroes seeking people, we take them without rationalization.

What's the big deal in refusing awards? Gani refused national honours, Gbajabiamila refused the same dishonour termed national honours. It's not a big deal. Even, Jean-Paul Sartre refused or declined the Nobel prize. Now the so called African Finest has not even been given the highest literary award and yet you called him all sorts of deified names? At the last counts, four African personalities have won this award and yet your so called finest, so called greatest, so called best known has not even been able to get it?

OH, I understand, the Nobel Committee are also envious of Igbo. They are also willing to condemn anything Igbo and they are oblivious of the fact that the book has been translated to several languages. I laugh no be small.

Mahatma Gandhi never won the Nobel Prize for Peace despite being the strongest symbol of non-violence in the 20th century. This omission or commission by the Nobel Committee haunts their coveted reputation till this day.

Things Fall Apart's continuous accolade and rating till today is a spite on the nose of the Nobel Committee and the Nobel Prize for Literature.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 21, 2012
kutchs: Bayoooo just admit to urself that jealousy has got the better part of u. I cant imagine any sane person saying that translation of a book into ova 60 langs is not an evidence of how well the book is appreciated. That the book was translated into Italian shows Italians want to read itl same with Spaniards, French, Chinese etc. Name just one other book in Africa you know to have earn such honour.

You keep confusing issue. I have not said Things Fall Apart is not a masterpiece, for your information, I have read the book about twenty time. but my contention is the fact that the book is being exaggerated and the author overrated. Bible is translated to Chinese but how many chinese are christians, how many chinese read bible?

That a book is translated to another language does not depict wide acceptance in such a language. I can write a nonsense book and called a group of language experts to translate same to other languages so far as I am able to foot the bill.That's all. In how many of such countries is Things Fall Apart on the school curriculum to help us measure the depth of the so called appreciation and acceptability?

That Achebe is great is obviously not in question. But the line between great and greatest in this case is not blur, it's well defined and as such Achebe is not the greatest.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by Nobody: 11:02pm On May 21, 2012
nsiadi: Nobody is begging anybody to like Achebe
However, haters can send their queries to the group who drew-up the list
Many things we dont appreciate is that only a section of the country will buy into Awo if he were shares
He caused deaths of many & was swayed by the love of money to dance naked in the market

Awolowo is in a class of his own and as you have rightly inferred, he was and still a hero to some while he remains an indisputable villain to others. That's, in my opinion, based on the actions and inaction of Awolowo. But it would be a different case discussing Awolowo legal practise, whether he deserved SAN or not. Let's separate personality from profession.

If you ask me I would say I did like FRA Williams while on earth for being primarily a lawyer for the rich, but I would be dishonest not to acknowledge him as the greatest legal mind ever come out of Nigeria.
Re: Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books by PHIPEX(m): 11:05pm On May 21, 2012
bayooooooo:

You keep confusing issue. I have not said Things Fall Apart is not a masterpiece, for your information, I have read the book about twenty time. but my contention is the fact that the book is being exaggerated and the author overrated. Bible is translated to Chinese but how many chinese are christians, how many chinese read bible?

That a book is translated to another language does not depict wide acceptance in such a language. I can write a nonsense book and called a group of language experts to translate same to other languages so far as I am able to foot the bill.That's all. In how many of such countries is Things Fall Apart on the school curriculum to help us measure the depth of the so called appreciation and acceptability?

That Achebe is great is obviously not in question. But the line between great and greatest in this case is not blur, it's well defined and as such Achebe is not the greatest.

you have not answered my questions

WHAT CRITERIA SHOULD BE USED IN JUDGING GREATEST BOOKS AROUND?

On the bolded, Things Fall Apart is in America's curriculum.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Tribute To My Grandfather. / Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series / Gabriel Okara Dies Four Weeks Before 98th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.