Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,912 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines (15702 Views)

Short Codes To Check Your Mobile Numbers For Mtn,etisalat,glo And Airtel. / Mtn, Glo, Airtel, Etisalat Manual And Automatic Internet Settings / GSM Network Issues And Problems (Zain, Etisalat, Glo, MTN) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Seun(m): 12:31pm On May 21, 2012
A STATEMENT ON THE FINES IMPOSED ON AIRTEL, ETISALAT, GLOBACOM AND MTN BY THE NIGERIAN COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION RELATING TO THE NETWORK QUALITY

Airtel, Etisalat, Globacom and MTN would like to jointly issue a statement concerning the decision by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to sanction all four operators for failure to meet Quality of Service standards.

We would like to assure customers of all four networks that we are committed to providing high quality of service to our customers. Over the last ten years more than N 1 trillion has been invested in building and enhancing the four mobile networks. In 2012 alone, the four operators will be spending over N 400 billion of further investments in their networks. All four operators are actively competing with each other on quality of service to win the loyalty of existing customers and attract new customers.

We are all equally frustrated and concerned about the failures to meet customer expectations and needs with respect to the quality of service. Nigeria deserves and needs first class telecommunications networks. We thus apologise unreservedly to you, our customers, for those occasions when you have been disappointed or inconvenienced by a lapse or failure to deliver the requisite level of quality of service. We however believe that it is necessary to explain the major challenges we face as operators and ask for your understanding and support.

The main factor affecting quality of service is the absence of a reliable source of power. Every single site is powered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by two diesel Generators and requires regular supply of diesel as well as 24hours security protection. We need to recognise that benchmarking quality of service against countries which are not operating in such an environment is unrealistic.

The second major factor affecting network quality are frequent cuts of fibre networks which link the cell sites. These are frequently malicious in nature. Recently, operators have asked that Telecommunications Infrastructure be declared “Critical National Infrastructure” which would result in enhanced protection for these assets and criminalize the wilful damage of the same.

Another equally worrying development is the recent trend towards indiscriminate closure of sites by Ministries, Departments and Agencies of the Federal, State and Local Governments in pursuit of multiple taxation of telecommunications infrastructure.

Finally, the issue of security is a prevalent threat from our operating environment. We have had particularly unfortunate instances where our employees have been physically assaulted and in some instances killed during site maintenance visit, all in a quest to sustain service quality.

We wish to use this medium to call on the NCC, the National Environment Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, the Minister of Communication Technology, the National Assembly and the Office of the National Security Adviser to work in harmony to put in place an environment in which we can continue our substantial investments in pursuit of delivering world class telecommunications networks.

While we continue to make these investments which will also improve service quality, it needs to be pointed out that in the telecommunications industry, such investments do not yield the requisite improvement in service quality until well after 12 months. We are therefore concerned that fines will not bring about the desired service quality improvements or offer a lasting solution but will merely deplete essential resources that would otherwise be deployed for network roll out.

Also, due to capital-intensive nature of our operators, we are concerned that a regime of sanctions will inevitably erode the confidence of financial institutions and critical partners in the industry. We are also concerned that it could create an atmosphere of anxiety and regulatory uncertainty which is unattractive to investment. We are therefore actively engaging with our Regulator to resolve this issue.

Solutions being explored include ensuring a forward-looking quality of service framework, taking into account pertinent environmental factors affecting service delivery and preserving the capacity of the industry to attract the requisite levels of investment in infrastructure to meet stakeholder expectations.
Nigeria deserves and needs world class telecommunications networks. No sector in Nigeria has seen more progress than the telecommunications sector. We ask for the understanding of all stakeholders as we continue to invest and build the networks to the benefit of all Nigerians.

Signed,

1 Like

Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 21, 2012
Green symbols pro-Nigeria, Red --, Yellow --
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by free2ryhme: 1:17pm On May 21, 2012
confirm source for this statement.
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by TonySpike: 1:22pm On May 21, 2012
Can somebody tell me what the Federal Government did with the millions of dollars they collected from these operators as licensing fees over the years? Why weren't these funds received channeled to boost power supply in the country? The way it is, I don't blame the operators but blame the useless Federal Government for not providing the needed infrastructure needed to lower their operating costs. Afterall, they are not operating on free fuel!

9 Likes

Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by mbhs139(m): 1:24pm On May 21, 2012
Well said anyway. But I personally have a problem with Glo. If actually this press release is from them, I think my message will get to them.
Glo is not good at public relations. Majority of the time that customers experience difficulties with their service, there has never been anyone on hand to offer any explanation or any apology.

Press releases like this, and on a seemingly free platform like this would have even assuage flamed nerves. I spend close to 8000naira monthly on my BB, Ipad and MoDem.

Another thing I would like the telecom operators to take note of is their mode of promotion. I don't think this attitude of winners take it all would take you anywhere; where a single individual wins millions or cars. While not spread this millions over a large number of people in a token? I think that's more beneficial. Before Coca Cola bought over GoldSpot, Limca and PaliSoda, you will always win something during their promo ... no matter how small it is; biro, facecap, bottle openner, exercise books ... little-little things that are useful in one way or the other. There is virtually no house one will visit that you will not come across Limca or GoldSpot sourvenir. But this day, it is car, 1million naira and things like that. Thats's not how to equally compensate your loyal customers, You aren't plowing back into the society that way. Imagine 1 million naira gift for how many number of people.

And if they can't do that, let us please simply have the worth of our money in service provision.

23 Likes

Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by chibus11: 1:24pm On May 21, 2012
ABEG EVERYONE SHOULD MIGRATE TO VISAFONE.THE NETWORK IS THE BEST ( BOTH DATA & VOICE).
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by WhoIGoAsk: 1:30pm On May 21, 2012
pay up the fines
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 21, 2012
All blames have source from d govt.... That is. ??
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by nairamobile: 1:33pm On May 21, 2012
sms should be free
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 21, 2012
Who I Go Ask?:
pay up the fines

Will u gain anything if they pay??

1 Like

Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 21, 2012
nna na wa o... see as person just edit my post... hmm..mmmm
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Phikom(m): 1:52pm On May 21, 2012
F.G has much to say concerning issues like this
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Ganys: 1:53pm On May 21, 2012
chibus11: ABEG EVERYONE SHOULD MIGRATE TO VISAFONE.THE NETWORK IS THE BEST ( BOTH DATA & VOICE).
Because no one patronizes them......
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by AFOLABISUNKANMI(m): 1:55pm On May 21, 2012
see how to start a recharge card printing business here in Nigeria click this http://www.mind2billion..com/2012/05/secret-of-making-200000-monthly.html to learn for free
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by slimming: 2:08pm On May 21, 2012
We are all equally frustrated and concerned about the failures to meet customer expectations and needs with respect to the quality of service

You have to refund our money no excuse for failure.
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Markindian(m): 2:40pm On May 21, 2012
Nice 1
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Ekowise(m): 2:44pm On May 21, 2012
mbhs139: Well said anyway. But I personally have a problem with Glo. If actually this press release is from them, I think my message will get to them.
Glo is not good at public relations. Majority of the time that customers experience difficulties with their service, there has never been anyone on hand to offer any explanation or any apology.

Press releases like this, and on a seemingly free platform like this would have even assuage flamed nerves. I spend close to 8000naira monthly on my BB, Ipad and MoDem.

Another thing I would like the telecom operators to take note of is their mode of promotion. I don't think this attitude of winners take it all would take you anywhere; where a single individual wins millions or cars. While not spread this millions over a large number of people in a token? I think that's more beneficial. Before Coca Cola bought over GoldSpot, Limca and PaliSoda, you will always win something during their promo ... no matter how small it is; biro, facecap, bottle openner, exercise books ... little-little things that are useful in one way or the other. There is virtually no house one will visit that you will not come across Limca or GoldSpot sourvenir. But this day, it is car, 1million naira and things like that. Thats's not how to equally compensate your loyal customers, You aren't plowing back into the society that way. Imagine 1 million naira gift for how many number of people.

And if they can't do that, let us please simply have the worth of our money in service provision.
very gud advice. I wish dis msge gets 2 dem.
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by EPOMA(m): 2:59pm On May 21, 2012
Tony Spike: Can somebody tell me what the Federal Government did with the millions of dollars they collected from these operators as licensing fees over the years? Why weren't these funds received channeled to boost power supply in the country? The way it is, I don't blame the operators but blame the useless Federal Government for not providing the needed infrastructure needed to lower their operating costs. Afterall, they are not operating on free fuel!

Obasanjo shared that money to all the state governors and himself, this was from a very reliable source at that time
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by dejiswaggs(m): 3:07pm On May 21, 2012
i stronglly bellive this teleco dudes are up to a conspiracy stuff? Why will they issue a public press release AT THE SAME TIME (IS IT CONTROLLED BY SOME SUPA PERSON OR DO THEY HOLD MEETING SECRETLY?)
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by etchel(m): 3:19pm On May 21, 2012
Lol
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 21, 2012
Seun: A STATEMENT ON THE FINES IMPOSED ON AIRTEL, ETISALAT, GLOBACOM AND MTN BY THE NIGERIAN COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION RELATING TO THE NETWORK QUALITY

Airtel, Etisalat, Globacom and MTN would like to jointly issue a statement concerning the decision by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to sanction all four operators for failure to meet Quality of Service standards.

We would like to assure customers of all four networks that we are committed to providing high quality of service to our customers. Over the last ten years more than N 1 trillion has been invested in building and enhancing the four mobile networks. In 2012 alone, the four operators will be spending over N 400 billion of further investments in their networks. All four operators are actively competing with each other on quality of service to win the loyalty of existing customers and attract new customers.

We are all equally frustrated and concerned about the failures to meet customer expectations and needs with respect to the quality of service. Nigeria deserves and needs first class telecommunications networks. We thus apologise unreservedly to you, our customers, for those occasions when you have been disappointed or inconvenienced by a lapse or failure to deliver the requisite level of quality of service. We however believe that it is necessary to explain the major challenges we face as operators and ask for your understanding and support.

The main factor affecting quality of service is the absence of a reliable source of power. Every single site is powered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by two diesel Generators and requires regular supply of diesel as well as 24hours security protection. We need to recognise that benchmarking quality of service against countries which are not operating in such an environment is unrealistic.

The second major factor affecting network quality are frequent cuts of fibre networks which link the cell sites. These are frequently malicious in nature. Recently, operators have asked that Telecommunications Infrastructure be declared “Critical National Infrastructure” which would result in enhanced protection for these assets and criminalize the wilful damage of the same.

Another equally worrying development is the recent trend towards indiscriminate closure of sites by Ministries, Departments and Agencies of the Federal, State and Local Governments in pursuit of multiple taxation of telecommunications infrastructure.

Finally, the issue of security is a prevalent threat from our operating environment. We have had particularly unfortunate instances where our employees have been physically assaulted and in some instances killed during site maintenance visit, all in a quest to sustain service quality.

We wish to use this medium to call on the NCC, the National Environment Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, the Minister of Communication Technology, the National Assembly and the Office of the National Security Adviser to work in harmony to put in place an environment in which we can continue our substantial investments in pursuit of delivering world class telecommunications networks.

While we continue to make these investments which will also improve service quality, it needs to be pointed out that in the telecommunications industry, such investments do not yield the requisite improvement in service quality until well after 12 months. We are therefore concerned that fines will not bring about the desired service quality improvements or offer a lasting solution but will merely deplete essential resources that would otherwise be deployed for network roll out.

Also, due to capital-intensive nature of our operators, we are concerned that a regime of sanctions will inevitably erode the confidence of financial institutions and critical partners in the industry. We are also concerned that it could create an atmosphere of anxiety and regulatory uncertainty which is unattractive to investment. We are therefore actively engaging with our Regulator to resolve this issue.

Solutions being explored include ensuring a forward-looking quality of service framework, taking into account pertinent environmental factors affecting service delivery and preserving the capacity of the industry to attract the requisite levels of investment in infrastructure to meet stakeholder expectations.
Nigeria deserves and needs world class telecommunications networks. No sector in Nigeria has seen more progress than the telecommunications sector. We ask for the understanding of all stakeholders as we continue to invest and build the networks to the benefit of all Nigerians.

Signed,

These guys are funny
Who is not feeling the problems of power supply, insecurity in Nigeria?
Even the common sales woman on the roads is feeling the adverse impact of epileptic nature of power supply and boko haram menace
Where are all the money billed from their subscribers going to
I send messages on MTN network and it wasnt delivered, yet i was appropriately debited
Why cant i also start complaining
Let them all go and Bleep themselves for all i care
Imaging calling a techology that is not even up to 2G, 3.5G with data transfer of nothing more than 20kbps when the rest of the world are enjoying more than 1 terabyte data transfer.
Who is fooling who?
They are only interested in raking money from us without necessary improvement in their service
Infact enough is just enough. Let them be fined over and over again. I know they will find a solution to these problems
If they are not making money out of Nigerians than the useless service they are giving all these years, then let them carry their companies and go back to where they come from

2 Likes

Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by habayommy: 4:09pm On May 21, 2012
[quote author=mbhs139]

And if they can't do that, let us please simply have the worth of our money in service provision/quote]

Well said......U̶̲̥̅̊ get sense die
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by bright007(f): 4:21pm On May 21, 2012
Ťĥĕ most annoying thing about MTN is dat you cant speak with their agents anymore.Their customer service is just å dummy of it former self.
I magine migrating to MTN pulse where I read that I will receive 10MG of data for every N100 recharge.After receiving ťĥĕ first one,it has been an hopless situation of recharging without getting any data bundle.I tried calling their customer care and ťĥĕ machine doesn't wait for me to listen before telling me their ghost agents are currently busy.
If I recharge again and I don't get my 10MG,I will break the fucking sim.
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Xionez(m): 5:53pm On May 21, 2012
^^^^^
Seconded.

Yes, I also think the Goverment should address the issue of power supply before going head to head with these telcom operators. In this world of Electronics, its all about power. You can't expect maximum 3.5G or LTE speeds when these telecom operators are running on power conservation mode. Think about the excess costs and all that. They have tried to bring technology to us no matter how small.

Until the power is rectified, I would not blame my poor speeds on the telecoms. Rather I would direct my anger at the goverment.

You can't expect a child to grow when you don't provide him with adequate nutrients. It is until you do that you have mouth to castigate the child for being unruly or stubborn. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by smsmoney(m): 6:04pm On May 21, 2012
There's no excuse for failure but the govt must play its role of creating a conducive working environment.
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Pimples(m): 7:06pm On May 21, 2012
Instead of paying fines to NCC, Why not pay we the suscribers. lipsrsealed
After all we are the ones that suffer from the Bad Network.
It seems NCC want to add Insult to Injury? (I prefer to collect the fine myself rather than the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) Doing it for me) grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Sike(m): 7:50pm On May 21, 2012
Sighs
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Akby(m): 7:56pm On May 21, 2012
We talking about all this... Check out our internet speed. As in i felt lyk crying for dis country wen i saw an online friend download a file of 1.2GB within 45secs. Chai! All these operators just exploiting and deceivn us with their wuruwuru network palava. As for that promo let me reserve my case cos it's a sorry case. #EGoBetter
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Lisa1: 1:51am On May 22, 2012
Delivery's fine[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by mandsignal(m): 7:46am On May 22, 2012
slimming:

You have to refund our money no excuse for failure.
Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by Reference(m): 8:51am On May 22, 2012
If we steal, kill and destroy, do we expect heavenly connections, no. Steal optic cables, kill operators and destroy the energy sector. We have given them every reason for high charges and bad services. No sane farmer will blame his crop failure on sterile, weed and rodent infested conditions but on himself.

2 Likes

Re: Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, & MTN Statement On NCC Fines by akin33(m): 12:34pm On May 22, 2012
All this network providers are fruadsters. They charge u 4 failed sms (undeliver) and unclear conversation. Above all, no one will tell u sorry. Let's go a nationwide switchoff 4 a week. Let us inform others friends to join. Ths is enough 2 send them packing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Ways To Maximize Your Mobile Data Usage / Disgrace Anyone Looking At Your Phone Screen With This / WWE 2k18 APK + OBB Data Mod Android Game Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.