Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,817 members, 7,806,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. (5154 Views)

Host 1 Domain And 10 Free Subdomain, 10 Email Accnts, 1 Mysql DB for 3500 Naira / Should I Put My Blog In A Sub-directory, A Subdomain Or On Its Own Domain? / I Need Free Website Hosting With Subdomain URL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by Taiwohmo: 3:01pm On May 21, 2012
Good day to everyone. I designed a website on a subdomain of my domain in order to test it to ensure that it is functioning very well.
Now that everything is working as expected, I am confused of how I can transfer the website from the subdomain to the main domain.
Pls what should I do and how do I transfer it?
Thanks.
Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by DualCore1: 3:43pm On May 21, 2012
First option:
Keep the files in their present location (the sub-directory) and create a redirection from your control panel. Redirect all traffic from the domain (www) to the subdomain. Little or no side effects will be experienced.

Second option:
Go into your file manager or use an FTP client (e.g Filezilla) and select all the content of the sub-folder (files and folders) and move to root directory (www or public_html). Side effects you will experience depend largely on how your script has been coded.

If you have hard-coded references to objects (e.g images, fonts etc) using absolute paths (e.g http://mydomain.com/sub/images/yam.jpg) then you will have to go back and re-hard-code (lol) all those links to reflect the change (e.g http://mydomain.com/images/yam.jpg).

If you have added a "site_url" variable in your scripts config file (for instance), then you need to go and change the site_url variable to reflect the new path.
Basically a few (or a lot of) things may break with this second option but its the better option.

Before trying anything please have a sane backup of your script.

1 Like

Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by Taiwohmo: 5:33pm On May 21, 2012
@Dual Core, thanks for your responce.
How can I redirect it from the subdomain to the domain so that when people visit the domain, it will directly display what is in the subdomain.
Thanks.
Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by DualCore1: 9:13pm On May 21, 2012
I want to assume you have cPanel as your site's control panel. If that's correct, check this tutorial here: http://www.everymanhosting.com/cpanel-tutorials/create-redirects-cpanel.php

If its not clear, just Google your way through or come here and ask questions.
Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by Nobody: 10:58pm On May 21, 2012
you can also do i this way

1. login to your cpanel
2. go to FTP
3. right click on the subdomain and click move to www

i think this solve your problem

thanks
Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by tessyade: 1:33pm On May 22, 2012
ActiveMan: you can also do i this way

1. login to your cpanel
2. go to FTP
3. right click on the subdomain and click move to www

i think this solve your problem

thanks
@op try the above process. I have used these process several times and it works.
Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by Taiwohmo: 4:26pm On May 22, 2012
Thanks everyone.
Despite the fact the I have moved the subdomain folders to the main domain, it is still displaying the old content of the main domain instead of displaying that of subdomain.
Pls what do you think have gone wrong?
Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 22, 2012
Taiwohmo: Thanks everyone.
Despite the fact the I have moved the subdomain folders to the main domain, it is still displaying the old content of the main domain instead of displaying that of subdomain.
Pls what do you think have gone wrong?

you are not doing it right.
Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by yamakuza: 7:38pm On May 22, 2012
How many index files do you have now?

You can leave the index.php and rename the index.htm, or vice versa.

CTRL + F5 could also help.
Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by Taiwohmo: 11:59pm On May 22, 2012
I really appreciate everyone who has responded to this post.
I have even deleted all the old files including the index.htm at the public html and copied all the new files from the subdomain to the root folder (public html) but it suprised me that when I visit the main domain, it still displayed the old content but the internal links became inactive despite the fact that there is also index.php in what I copied into it.
I have tried all I could do but yet unable to solve the problem.
Please help!
Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by yamakuza: 12:22am On May 23, 2012
1. Clear your browser cache/history

2. Use the full url www.domain.com/index.php not www.domain.com

3. Press CTRL + F5 on your keyboard when the page loads
Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by teemy(m): 11:18pm On May 23, 2012
You might need to do a dns refresh for your pc. Chances are another pc would be seeing things correctly.
Re: Transferring Contents From Subdomain To Main Domain. by teemy(m): 8:29am On May 24, 2012
Open cmd Prompt, 'run it as administrator'. Type the following command and hit enter. ipconfig /flushdns. Restart your application (e.g. browser or email)

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Destructive Things You Should Stop Doing As A Blogger / 5 Reasons You Must Embrace To Generate Massive Traffic For Your Business. / 7 Mistakes You're Making That Drives Away Visitors From Your Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.