Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,929 members, 7,806,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker (5263 Views)

Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker / Pictures Of Suicide Attacker John Akpabu Arrested At Radio House Abuja / Man Arrested At Radio House With Grenades & Live Ammo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by chuks49(m): 8:19am On May 23, 2012
Alleged Suicide Bomber: Inside John Akpavan’s House In Gora

On Monday, a man named John Akpavan was arrested with weapons at the Radio House in Abuja. He said the weapons belonged to his late brother who was a policeman. A Daily Trust reporter went to John’s village to verify his story
Gora, a sleepy village in Karshi Development Area of Nasarawa State, stands 38 kilometers from Abuja, and 12 kilometers from Keffi, along Abuja-Keffi Road. It has two major roads – all dusty type - on both sides of the road, and they all run through the shanty settlement, providing links to a cluster of humble abodes with rusty iron roofs, or thatched roofs.

Deep inside Gora, along the road on the left side - if one is driving from Abuja – lies what seems to be the centre of the village because of the densely packed nature of houses there. Inside one of these houses, is a large compound where John Alaku Akpavan, the 39-year-old man who was arrested at the Radio House in Abuja, Monday, with a bag containing canisters of teargas and ammunition. Akpavan who is now being interrogated by security operatives in Abuja, tried to enter the premises during a ministerial briefing event where not less than three ministers were billed to address newsmen on their stewardship in the last one year.

A footpath behind a tall telecom mass tight linked Daily Trust to a compound comprising of closely packed structures, sandwiched by many other houses. “That is the house of John”, said a man this reporter had met by the road.

Children of primary school age played at the door of the first room on the block on the left. An adult female voice screamed at the children to return inside, when this reporter announced his visit to the compound. Janet, the woman who struggled with a tattered curtain, to show her face, while also hurrying the children back into the room, explained she was the wife of Akpavan, in response to this reporter’s inquiry.

She was calm and immediate with answers as though she had a questionnaire ahead of the meeting. “This is where we live. I am John’s wife”, she said. They married in 2004, after John met her in Jua, a shanty of Abuja where the detainee stayed before he moved into Gora, far outside Abuja, in order to beat the shylock charges of Abuja landlords.

But John’s elder brother’s widow, whose name she gave as Mama Selina, still lives there. John and his immediate younger brother, Benjamin, moved outside Abuja, but have continued to work with an uncle who manages a scaffold business in Abuja. “He goes to Abuja everyday because of his work. When there is no work, he stays in the house”, she said. She said John worked with Bullet Construction before he joined his uncle as a technician, taking his younger brother with him.

She took this reporter inside the one-room apartment, and displayed some items under the bed and television stand, saying, “We have nothing in our house. What happened was just out of ignorance.”

She said she married John after his elder brother (a police corporal) died. “He died long ago. I can’t say, but it was before I married John”, she said.

She corroborated her husband’s story that the widow of late Corporal Aliyu Clement, Mama Sabina had invited the suspect recently, and showed him what she found in her late husband’s luggage. She insisted that “we kept them because of ignorance.”

Janet, who now has four children, the oldest being seven years old, said she was the one who stumbled on the pack of teargas and ammunition, in some of their things, last week, while she searched through old and unusable things to discard of. “I found them lying there. So I waited for my husband to return. I told him that we were still keeping the things, and he said he will take them to Abuja to show them there. He did not want to give them to police. He wanted to give them to the minister because he wanted reward”, she said.

She said she was surprised when, not too long after her husband left for Abuja, when some neighbours informed her that they heard John was arrested there. “I thought he went there doing some bad things with the things he took to Abuja. I was confused, but continued to pray. I waited for my children to return. I told them, and together, we prayed and handed everything to God’s hands.”

Janet, whose eyes were swollen with crying, said she later tuned to NTA, to see for herself, that her husband was truly arrested with the same “things” he took to Abuja to hand to authorities for reward.

She displayed a collection of old photographs. “See, this is the elder brother – that policeman that died. He was the owner of the things, not John”, she said, displaying a photograph of the said policeman and his wife and two children.

On the back of the old photograph is an inscription in faded blue ink: “Clement, his children 5/1/2003.” She said John wrote the words there. The said late brother has on his image, an inscription “RIP.”

Several photographs of the extended family was shown to Daily Trust, and almost all with late Corporal Clement’s image has this “RIP” inscribed on his image.

But none of the photographs had an image of the late policeman in uniform. So Janet took this reporter down the road, to a compound where Benjamin, John’s younger brother is living with his family. Benjamin was not available. His wife, Dorcas, brought out a collection of pictures, also displaying those with the late policeman’s image bearing “RIP” in faded inks.

She also brought down a wall portrait of her late brother in-law, in uniform. The photograph which looks old, carries a man looking like he was a twin of John. His Mobile Police uniform with the rank of corporal also bears a name tag “Aliyu C. Barnabas.”

In response to our inquiry, the two women said the elder brother preferred to go with the grand father’s name – Aliyu, while the two younger brothers are bearing their father’s name – Akpavan. They said the “C” on the name tag is the initial for “Clement.”

Benjamin’s wife corroborated John’s account of how he came to be in possession of canisters of teargas and ammunition. Benjamin’s phone number did not connect at press time.

This reporter also sought other people in the village, who confirmed knowing John. In turns, they provided all they know of him. One of them said in Hausa: “if something will happen, it will. I know John. He is not that kind of a person.”

He took this reporter to two persons he introduced as apprentices who John had taken to introduce to his uncle’s business. They both said they were surprised it happened to John, but offered brief prayers for him.

At the other side of the road – directly opposite the dusty road that linked to John’s residence, stands a poorly built and unpainted structure housing “Deeper Life Bible Church”, where John worships. The pastor, whose name was simply given as Ale, was not available. His phone number did not connect for his comments.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=163281:inside-john-akpavans-house-in-gora&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Olaolufred(m): 10:36am On May 23, 2012
I actually knew from Monday when this became news that Nigeria is not serious.
Our security agencies wants to claim they are working when they are just idling.
A terrorist will blow up everybody if he faces barrier from reaching target instead of allowing the most peaceful arrest in history.
The BOLLYWOOD of Jonathan's regime is gradually comming up. Soon it will become an household in the world over. Foreigners who reads our news will always take us citizens for a fool.
Being fooled by our irresponsible leaders.

2 Likes

Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by maclatunji: 10:50am On May 23, 2012
The guy is an attention seeker. Of course, we have semi-educated folks jumping up and down over this. Eventually, the man will be released.
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Olaolufred(m): 11:04am On May 23, 2012
maclatunji: The guy is an attention seeker. Of course, we have semi-educated folks jumping up and down over this. Eventually, the man will be released.
Poverty most times erodes the dignity of the victim.
If this man has 2 million Naira in his account, It may be harder to proceed on this awful journey.
However, his own part of the national wealth has been stolen by our leaders.
So a grown up man like this still live in a very small room with children-a prototype of what 60% of Nigerian married men still faces in 21st century.
Our Leaders failed. As a Nation, we are close to a complete collapse.
If he had gone to police station, He would have been label armed robber and killed extra-judicially.
This is one of the results of societal rot in Nigeria.
Police always tell us they are friends, but when you provide them infos, they inform the reported criminal your name and adress.
How would any man voluntere info again?
It is pathetic that the Man went so low. But poverty bites had into senses.

1 Like

Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Nobody: 12:58pm On May 23, 2012
Yet some pricks were already jubilant that a southern Christian has been caught. Hell-bent on roppin us into their illogical shitty backwardness. Sorry folks, the picture is clearer now.

1 Like

Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by ZUBY77(m): 1:18pm On May 23, 2012
I knew this man wasnt a suicide bomber the moment i read about his arrest. I even said it yesterday.
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by gulfer: 1:24pm On May 23, 2012
So LONG-THROAT for a reward and poverty forced this man into the bad limelight..I hope those overzealous policemen have not done irreparable damage to his limbs. Moral of the story is: Only return monetary items to the authority or else if you found a gun, knife, machete; you risk being labelled an armed robber, a militant etc if you attempt to return it. The only time you can risk such is during an amnesty program.
BTW, what happened to the other bloke arrested on the same date?
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Beaf1: 1:26pm On May 23, 2012
39 years old. Is this guy out of his f'cking senses?
Even my 12year old brother knows that we have a monster in the name of Boko Harem, PDP etc. And this slowpoke dared to walk into that place with those items.

A friend of mine almost got shot at a security check-point because a police saw a bag of a Roll-up banner in his car trunk. Does new guns come with a bag?

Poverty my foot!

Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 23, 2012
How did Akpavan turn to Effiong in the initial report?
When I said the guy should produce his certificate of origin, speak his mother tongue and tell us the name of his clan and village, some people were saying I'm 'denying' my brother.
So all that story of being born and brought-up in Maiduguri was all hogwash.
Southerner indeed! angry
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by fubbyy(m): 1:59pm On May 23, 2012
Kai... So this guy is innocent, eeyaaaa.. see as securities were jubilation, thanking one another fo a wonderful performance, I wonder how shameful they will be now... Fooools
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Bontee: 2:08pm On May 23, 2012
What stops him from throwing those things inside the bush or nearby stream instead of taking it into the state house. How can you hold those dangerous items and walk into a meeting that you want to see the minster. Did he put any phonecall or email correspondence with the minister before going to see him.

He must be very stupid if he is innocent of this crime, so i can just carry a nuclear bomb and walk into a G8 meeting that i want to show obama the bomb i found inside my room.
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 23, 2012
tongue
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Nobody: 2:16pm On May 23, 2012
careytommy: OK, so his late elder bro who was a policeman had some teargas canisters in the house(you know Nigeria police na). With the current spate of insecurity which has left the STF with little choice but conducting house to house search(who didn't see the house that was recently demolished in Jos?), He decided to be proactive and spare his family future trauma by returning the canisters. Ofcourse, if he had taken to just any police station, he probably would have been shot and labelled BH. So he did the smart thing, taking it to a public place so everyone would be aware and know about him. He probably foresaw this. Believe me, what he is presently going through is a small price to pay compared to what would have happened if those canisters had been found in his house or if he had taken it to just about any police station.

1 Like

Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Pennywise(m): 2:17pm On May 23, 2012
Dull police, dull people, dull country. How does tear gas canister end up being 'bomb'. Not do, not do this guy will spend 10years in detention without trial.
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Piyke: 2:20pm On May 23, 2012
Its so unfortunate. I justr pray they release him without any charges. I wonder how many innocent people in this country have suffered similar fates
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Opoki(m): 2:26pm On May 23, 2012
Blame it on improper records keeping system that has ridden the Security forces... How on earth will such armunition will got missing for years without any traced requisition tagged to it to trace whoever collected them and on which purposed was it used for?
This is a Chivita Country, lets Enjoy it...My Country...

1 Like

Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Beaf: 2:27pm On May 23, 2012
A very unfortunate story. God is the only succour for the poor and disadvantaged in Nigeria.
It is hard to blame the man for taking a foolish action, because of the wickedness of the Nigerian system. If he had known what would happen, he would simply have taken the items to the nearest forest, dug a hole and buried them. Now his wife and four kids are waiting.

The wickedness of the system is further displayed in the way the press labelled him a suicide bomber. Firstly, a man found with 3 teargas cannisters is far from being a suicide bomber. As soon as it turned out that he wasn't even carrying a gun, even a toddler should have known that something was amiss, yet our dear press was insistent on the suicide bomber tag.
In fact, following the news from various sources produced an alarming number of names for the same individual:

John Apkabu
John Apkanum
John Apkavon
John Akapu

etc etc... The press is a disgrace.

1 Like

Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Beaf1: 2:27pm On May 23, 2012
careytommy: OK, so his late elder bri whoi was a policeman had some teargas canisters in the house(you know Nigeria police na). With the current spate of insecurity which has left the STF with little choice but conducting house to house search(who didn't see the house that was recently demolished in Jos?), He decided to be proactive and spare his family future trauma by returning the canisters. Ofcourse, if he had taken to just any police station, he probably would have been shot and labelled BH. So he did the smart thing, taking it to a public place so everyone would be aware and know about him. He probably foresaw this. Believe me, what he is presently going through is a small price to pay compared to what would have happened if those canisters had been found in his house ir if he had taken it to just about any police station.

^^
The report says he "he wants some monetary settlement" how daft. Ok, let me go with what you wrote up there, how about digging a hole and burying the said items? Does the STF do the house-to-house search with sniffing dogs?
This guy is 39years old so he know the consequence of his stup!d action
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by amosy007: 2:27pm On May 23, 2012
Our security agencies are Fhucked....ewwwwww bloody fools
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Beaf: 2:30pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf!:

^^
The report says he "he wants some monetary settlement" how daft. Ok, let me go with what you wrote up there, how about digging a hole and burying the said items? Does the STF do the house-to-house search with sniffing dogs?

Why do you keep going round pretending to be me?
Dude, you are just stup!d with no life of your own.
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by baslone: 2:33pm On May 23, 2012
What's with all this confusion?

Thought the last report said he was a christian turned moslem?
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Calebsky(m): 2:34pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf: In fact, following the news from various sources produced an alarming number of names for the same individual:

John Apkabu
John Apkanum
John Apkavon
John Akapu

etc etc... The press id a disgrace.

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
la lol lalolo
Naijeriyah!
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Opoki(m): 2:35pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf!:

^^
Beaf:

@Beaf: Are you sure thats not you?
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by kombats: 2:36pm On May 23, 2012
lol beaf na so dem dey do. But d guy admire u sha
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Abagworo(m): 2:41pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf:

I almost usually thout it was the real beaf. This is Nairaland so you can't sue him for impersonation.
Beaf:

I almost usually thout it was the real beaf. This is Nairaland so you can't sue him for impersonation. grin grin grin
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by gulfer: 2:42pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf:

Beaf!:

^^
Since both you guys share a monicker but are always at a tangent in terms of opinion on issues, i rechristen Beaf! as Anti-Beaf henceforth grin grin grin grin.
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by untainted: 2:50pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf: The press id a disgrace.

Haba Beaf, come easy on the press, after all the same press cleared the confusion
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Beaf1: 2:57pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf:

^
WTF
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Beaf1: 2:59pm On May 23, 2012
kombats: lol beaf na so dem dey do. But d guy admire u sha
^
WTF
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by Beaf: 3:12pm On May 23, 2012
untainted:

Haba Beaf, come easy on the press, after all the same press cleared the confusion

As far as I know, we still don't know the mans real name. If anything, the story shows how our press can launch into a feeding frenzy in which humanity and standards are chucked out the window, all for a fast buck; the same lack of standards see's them regularly picking up brown envelopes and manufacturing "news" from thin air.
We were all victims of the press two days ago. Its sad really.

More than anything, a duty of care was owed John Akpavan (real name?). Perhaps the "reward" he foolishly sought will be made real when sues the pants off the newspaper houses. And rightly so too.

Any lawyers in da haus?
Re: Emotional Story Of John Akpavan. Abuja Radio House Suicide Attacker by PHIPEX(m): 3:20pm On May 23, 2012
How come our press said it was a HAND HELD GRANADE? Infact the report I read on NL said its 386 granades

The press atimes make a mountain out of a molehill just to impress.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG - Boko Haram Dialogue: NOA Asks For Tolerance / Pictures Of The 47 Students Killed At Potiskum,yobe State Two Days Ago. / Seyi Adetayo Spewing Rubbish On Channels TV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.