Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,196 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

How Well Do You Like Your Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Well Do You Like Your Job? (3459 Views)

Poll: Rate Your Job on a scale of 1 to 5!

1 - A Nightmare!: 9% (9 votes)
2 - Poor: 15% (15 votes)
3 - Acceptable: 33% (33 votes)
4 - Pretty Good: 26% (26 votes)
5 - Almost Perfect!: 16% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job / 4 Better Ways To Answer "Why Are You Leaving Your Job?" / 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Well Do You Like Your Job? by WesleyanA(f): 4:53am On Nov 18, 2007
For nairalanders who have full time jobs. I have a couple of questions for you:

- Do you like your job? are you excited to wake up in the morning and get ready for work?

- Is your job related/ similar to the dream job you wanted when you were younger?

- Is it related/similar to what you studied (your major) at the University?

- How did you find your job? connections with friends/ family, posted vacancy, etc?

- How many jobs have you had since you started working full time.

- Do you think you'll change jobs in the near future?
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by almondjoy(f): 12:25am On Nov 20, 2007
The best job in the whole world!--Neonatal Pharmarcy specifically. Since I hate the site of blood and can't stand bedside care changing poopy diapers and rubbish! Did enough of that as an ungergrad student while in school. Too many diseases and germs around.  It gives me my own space.

Always ready to go and I am never late.  Usually get there 30-45 minutes early so not to miss anything!  Usually a bonding session before work starts with the docs, nurses, therapists and other departmental staff members---quality people--with brains!  It is always a party and lots of juicy gossips---- and lots of room to "flirt" shamelessly grin---many friends to make and visit. Not stressful for my delicate behind and gives me a lot of free time.

Had to go back to school and switch completely from arts to the sciences.  Had to get another major to be "employable" and avoid dead end jobs. Actually had no dream in Nigeria--the goal was just to enter "any university" and be a "graduate" of  "something"! So did just that!

My school of pharmarcy had an internship program to write off my school loans if I committed to work with them for 2 years. Left them as soon as I finished and headed for place with better health care, retirement benefits and research opportunities for the future.

Have only had 2 jobs since I started and do not plan on going anywhere else.  Retirement looks good and I am planning on ending up in one of the research departments--- Pediatric Oncology to be specific! cool
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now below are kinds of patients my department handles.  As you can see the 8 1/2 month or 34 weeker--Wenthworth Miller of a fellow with his caucasiona little tail- is about to attempt his own version of "prison break"--- Time for some Morphine or Ativan or Norcuron or Fentanyl or something!!! Just waiting for the doctor to write the order for the drugs!  I will cook it up and deliver it to his nurse as soon as possible--definitely intravenously.

He don lost his mind!!!!  The mumu was about to hit the damn floor.  Where im dey go? shocked  The nurse that had this premie boy never recovered from the shock--and had to be sedated too. grin cheesy grin cheesy grin  Thank God the isolette's doors had hinges!  Those poor neonatal nurses!!! Can never do their job!!!! cheesy  They just had to share this joke with the whole floor.---Talk about serious heart attack!  We all had to have photo-shoot copies of this "little jail bird"!

I say the best job in the world!!!! kiss These are the kinds of things that make my job environment heavenly--Something is always happening!!!!!! cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by Seun(m): 9:34am On Nov 20, 2007
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by bigbaby(f): 9:41am On Nov 20, 2007
i hate my job as much as i hate my sociology teacher. and trust me u don't wanna know
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by Joey82(m): 10:06am On Nov 20, 2007
my job isnt just challenging to me.
its in no way related to my major.
the pay? manageable,
i'm looking forward to better oppurtunities,
besides its my first job after nysc
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by bigbaby(f): 10:28am On Nov 20, 2007
is it
then u are better of. the only reason i have to work at this work place is because am on punishment
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by Easybaby(f): 10:32am On Nov 20, 2007
some people work to live, while some live to work undecided

which one do you belong to? tongue#

lol grin grin grin
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by mekoyo(m): 10:35am On Nov 20, 2007
I love it
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by bigbaby(f): 10:50am On Nov 20, 2007
@easybaby i dont knw. iask ma dad if i could get a job he said no. but whenever i do something wrong a give me a job dat he knws i hate and can stand it but anywaz i have to do it.
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by soty(m): 10:57am On Nov 20, 2007
i luv my job.ur attitude towards ur job is wat u make it.i'v wonderful collegues,its exactly wat i studied in school.the work environ is great and the pay is greater.though with time,i'v decided i want to cross trades from IT into drilling/explorations job.besides it my first job after NYSC
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 20, 2007
- Do you like your job? are you excited to wake up in the morning and get ready for work?

I  am not excited.the environment in the place where i work has killed all that. it was not until my current job that i actually looked forward to public holidays etal.

- Is your job related/ similar to the dream job you wanted when you were younger?

naa-  what i dreamed of doing was becoming a successful scifi writer/game developer. some hard copy handwrien scripts aregathering dust somewhere in the house. . . cry

- Is it related/similar to what you studied (your major) at the University?

yep. I read electrical engineering

- How did you find your job? connections with friends/ family, posted vacancy, etc?

first job- family connection( can make  exit uncomfortable-after all I've done for you. . .  second and third- good old tuesday guardian(not so good anymore- can't get any correct vacancies - I may have to expand the net)

- How many jobs have you had since you started working full time.
this is the third. from one man biz-7 staff (power consultant @ n29000/mth 2003) to one man biz 45 staff building services consultant @ n45000 /mth 2004-2005 to oil co ( classified until exodus)

- Do you think you'll change jobs in the near future?
already working on it. . .

my best job was in the second company.a truly professional environment with opportunuities for growth, etc. those was the best working environment i was in. i hope i'll still be able to find something like it . .  .a bit of advice to all y'all starting out.a lot of small companies pay peanuts, but you often get a fanttsatic professional foundation . if i'd started my career in the place i work now, i'd be a well paid 'copy and paste' engineer. who learns by rote.
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by ndubest(m): 11:43am On Nov 20, 2007
sure i love my job

connected to my major in school though more on the public health side (NGO)

not looking for any now

just to improve my skills and circulate around the same kind on job around the same groups of firms, smiley smiley smiley, wetin man go do?
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by chii: 12:17pm On Nov 20, 2007
Do you like your job? are you excited to wake up in the morning and get ready for work?
I dont like my job, I simply love it. Evry morning and every other minute, I say 'thank You Lord' for this job. Wonderful work environment, beautiful people, great job specs, everything.

Honestly, just two days ago, i willingly chose to work all weekend and i had a misunderstanding with my fiance cos i told him i love my job more than every other thing in my life right now; apart from God and my family.

Is your job related/ similar to the dream job you wanted when you were younger?
Yea, this is every bit of what I wanted when I was in school- Management graduate now in to business strategy consulting

How did you find your job? connections with friends/ family, posted vacancy, etc?
Honestly, connection from a friend cos my firm don't do public job adverts(just in house)

How many jobs have you had since you started working full time.
This is my first post NYSC job. Though I had a bank job offer (after interviews and medicals)which paid a little better than what im earning right now; on the same day i got this job; i turned it down and took my consulting job.

Do you think you'll change jobs in the near future?
In the near future, no way. I ll eventually have to change someday cos variety is the spice of life.

U envy me right wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

everyone i know does
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by chychy(f): 1:55pm On Nov 20, 2007
I like my job, will like to continue in the same line but with another company for very personal reasons which i might share later.
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by tushbobo(m): 2:32pm On Nov 20, 2007
my job s ok.i love it cos its my passion,though the pay s ok,it s d only thing that makes it imperfect cos its not up to what i would like to earn.
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by mariejane(f): 2:34pm On Nov 20, 2007
i am sooo passionate about what i do, v longed to do this and it is in no way related to what i studied in school(french) though my boss say it is my USP.IT is a very interesting job and i have no plans whatsoever to change it! my salary is really okay.its my first job after NYSC and in case u r still wondering, it is called ADVERTISING! and am a brand manager, what more can a yung gurl like me ask for? grin
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by Scopium: 2:41pm On Nov 20, 2007
[size=13pt]I love my job so much that I can't wait for sweet Jesus Christ to save my butt from the hell! Quote Me![/size]
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by toba1909(m): 2:48pm On Nov 20, 2007
I love my job,since i'm still serving. But look forward to being staffed after my service year,i know God will do it for me.
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by Blackcat(f): 2:56pm On Nov 20, 2007
Easybaby:

some people work to live, while some live to work undecided

which one do you belong to? tongue#

lol grin grin grin

'Easybaby'  none of the above. I don't need to work at all, but do because I don't want to sit at home. Oh, by the way I love my job. Pay is good, Colleagues are super!
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by finekid(m): 3:35pm On Nov 20, 2007
Me love it! grin
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 20, 2007
I love my Job. It does nt pay much I love doing what I do. It gives me lots of Satisfaction. I could change jobs but i would still work in the same field.
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by sima(f): 4:34pm On Nov 20, 2007
i no get job
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by biggerboy(m): 4:36pm On Nov 20, 2007
aisha2:

I could change jobs but i would still work in the same field.

same here.i love marketing communication which is what i practice but wouldnt mind changing my present place of work
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by awonboiz: 5:11pm On Nov 20, 2007
Am indifferent, maybe because of d 1st job i got afta nysc in 9ja (2001) almost ruine dmy career, NOT A PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT AT ALL!!!!!!Talkless of opportunities. spent 5yrs there, achieved absolutely nothing !( Yea! blame me 4 staying dat long)
Thought it wld get beta day by day until my eyez clear. lipsrsealed

Now am @ anoda job in anoda country, so far "AM LOVING IT" wink, TO God B da Glory grin
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by ehie007(m): 6:36pm On Nov 20, 2007
i av great colleagues, good boss.

i wuld love a job dat will make me travel round. even though its just within nigeria
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 20, 2007
love my job!!
good salary, but could be better cheesy
paid mileage to get to work
good retirement contribution
generous vacation time
exactly what I studied in school
boss 50 miles away cool
I basically run the show
low stress
no weekends
no calls
get pies and cakes from patients smiley smiley
a womans's dream job
can work full time or part time
will definitely want to retire here
my 3rd job since 1999
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by tuneh(f): 8:06pm On Nov 20, 2007
Yeah well my job sucks! The pay's pitiful and on top of that we're yet to receive october pay (we're hoping and praying for november!) Anyway, I already told my boss I'm leaving at the end of the month (wonder why I waited so long). I started in March and it feels like I've been there a hundred years!

I'm so ready to live my dream: showbiz, but not as an actress, I want to get into directing and script writing. Seun, can I hook up with u?

tuneh
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by buddie(m): 8:24pm On Nov 20, 2007
Love my job die.though i studied electrical engr,but i'm big time into Infotech,my job pay might not be the bomb,but i derive a lot of satisfaction doing this job grin
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by wakagirl: 8:38pm On Nov 20, 2007
Yeah i love my job
Customer advisor with MBNA
The pay is fair definitely not good enough
My second after i migrated, worked in 2 different jobs back home
Completely unrelated to my course of study at uni but Oyinbo no send if you can learn
Loving it and happy enough with it for now, will sure move when i have spend good no of years there
it makes the cv attractive for the next employer
Lovely colleaques and great Team Leader
Applied online, went for interview and employed
Just 13 months on it now.
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by bolaoni(m): 11:59pm On Nov 20, 2007
As they say, different strokes for different strokes.

But wait a minute, why stay long in a job you are not enjoying? What is the driving force?
I just can't understand why people will keep running to something they hate so much.

Do I sense fear at work here?

My people, if you don't like what you are doing, DO SOMETHING ELSE. Life is too short
to be spent in drudgery.

For those seeking better jobs, read the article below:

How to Leave Your Dead-End Job: http://www.careerboostingtips.com/how-to-leave-your-dead-end-job/

We all deserve a better living. wink
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by Pain(m): 3:20am On Nov 21, 2007
Cool except for the hazards of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome undecided
Re: How Well Do You Like Your Job? by Jerri(f): 6:25am On Nov 21, 2007
Deleted

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Improve Employee's Engagement / HND Holders For Direct M.sc Program / How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.