Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,195 members, 7,807,663 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Where Did My Snowman Go? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Where Did My Snowman Go? (3449 Views)

The Day I Did My First Menial Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Did My Snowman Go? by Orikinla(m): 6:06pm On Nov 18, 2007
Where Did My Snowman Go?

The year was 1981, my parents were very much alive and well, and life was beautiful and wonderful as things were looking up for my family. We looked forward to the Christmas and New Year with glints in our eyes and elated spirits. I was already a professional scriptwriter and puppeteer for the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) Channel 10 in Lagos. All the members of the cast and crew of Patakins Productions were full of gaiety as we rehearsed for the special Christmas episode of the Puppet Drama. Mary Akpan, Ayo Akanbi and others I cannot remember their names sat in a circle on wooden chairs and benches under the big tree in front of the Administrative Office of the NTA. After the rehearsals, we walked to the studios behind the building where the producers, Rowland Henshaw, and his female assistant were waiting for us. The music of the Christmas album of Boney M was playing and would be used as the theme music of the Christmas episode on our puppet drama. We often ate some mince pies and sausages and drank soda during our lunch or went to the cafeteria of the NTA to eat cooked meals of local foodstuffs. Once we have been well fed, the recordings commenced from noon until evening and on many occasions’ recordings lasted until late hours of the night.

The memories of the Christmas season of 1981 linger till date and the pretty face of Mary Akpan has remained unforgettable on my mind. I thought we would end up a happily married couple, but she thought I was still a young and naïve teenager and went out with an older member of our troupe. I had other female attractions, but I thought they were not old enough for me. I wanted to go out with older teenagers or young women.
I feel so depressed now as I recall those romantic days, because the people who gave me such a joyful time in my life are no longer here. My parents have since passed on, the cast and crew of Patakins Productions have gone their separate ways since 1984, and I lost the romantic passion for Mary Akpan who would have been married years ago. So, all I am left with are my unforgettable memories and the tears in my heart as I long for those who have passed away and as I am missing them, I wish I could be taken back in time to the halcyon Christmas season of 1981.

Memories. Memories. Memories.

Memories linger forever
Memories of the good times and even memories of the bad times
Sweet sweet memories make me glad
But the bad memories make me sad.
How I miss you my Mama
How I miss you Papa
How I miss you my sweethearts
You are so unforgettable
You gave me such a joyful time
I will never forget you.
I will always cherish the sweet memories of you

Re: Where Did My Snowman Go? by Morocco: 1:30am On Feb 17, 2008
Some memories do linger for long.
However as our elders do say "twenty children do not stay mates for twenty years.
Yes, 1981 was such a beautiful year for all of us as members of perhaps Nigeria's first
authentic puppet group. The Snow man obviously had to leave town at the advent of
Spring, however he left us such beautiful memories of his visit.
To other members of that once beautiful cast Mike Nelson Chima Eke, David Omo Ogogo
(hope I spelt your name right), Nike, Mary Akpan, Abosede Akinyelure,
Bimbo Odekunle (Producer-NTA), Rowland Henshaw, Pat Akinboye and the rest, 
It was nice to be a part of your group.
I remain Jide Jimoh (One of you)
Re: Where Did My Snowman Go? by zukkie4eva(f): 12:48pm On Feb 19, 2008
Orikinla. . . u take me all d wayyyyyyyyyy back to my own childhood days. . .wonderful, beaurriful, glorious days. . .

Thank God for the memories, memories r 4ever, Thank God for d experiences, Thank God for Life. . .***im loving dis nostalgic feeling***
Re: Where Did My Snowman Go? by Morocco: 8:21pm On Feb 19, 2008
Memories are what we are made off at the end of the day.
I share your nostalgic feeling, and hope you really are able to connect with Orikinla and the group.
And you are right, Orikinla did take me on a long journey back.

And I owe a debt to gratitude to him and the rest of the cast,
Re: Where Did My Snowman Go? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Feb 20, 2008
when i saw the thread, i thoght it would be a treatise on global warming. . .
Re: Where Did My Snowman Go? by pahtahkee: 1:29am On Feb 23, 2008
1981, What a relic of the past.
Re: Where Did My Snowman Go? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Mar 09, 2008
Don't know the puppet show you guys are talking about, wasn't born then, but love the awwwww feeling I got from this thread smiley.

(1) (Reply)

How Love,sex & Heartbreak Almost Ruined My Life / Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) / The Book Discussion Club#nairaland#

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.