Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,174 members, 7,780,205 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:51 AM

Mtn's 'if I Was Your Child' Advert, Wrong English? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Mtn's 'if I Was Your Child' Advert, Wrong English? (1080 Views)

If I Was The Devil / If I Was From A Poor Home / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtn's 'if I Was Your Child' Advert, Wrong English? by yommy2sure(m): 8:32am On May 24, 2012
Brilliant people, a woman called a radio station some days back requesting that they shld stop playing the advert that the grammer is wrong and ought to be 'if I were your child' pls which is actually right...
Re: Mtn's 'if I Was Your Child' Advert, Wrong English? by Jummymine(f): 12:13pm On May 24, 2012
Yes its wrong 'if i were your child' is correct
Re: Mtn's 'if I Was Your Child' Advert, Wrong English? by yommy2sure(m): 12:37pm On May 24, 2012
Jummy mine: Yes its wrong 'if i were your child' is correct
tot so too, but the advert is still on air.
Re: Mtn's 'if I Was Your Child' Advert, Wrong English? by thiscounts(m): 4:01pm On May 24, 2012
Both are acceptable and grammatically correct, but 'were' is given more prestige than 'was'.Use if I were to avoid argument and embarrasment if you cant explain why u use it.
Re: Mtn's 'if I Was Your Child' Advert, Wrong English? by Clairette(f): 10:30pm On May 24, 2012
thiscounts: Both are acceptable and grammatically correct, but 'were' is given more prestige than 'was'.Use if I were to avoid argument and embarrasment if you cant explain why u use it.
Pls justify your point with fact. How do u mean 'was' could correct. In what context can 'was' flow where d subject is 'I', the first person singular. Pls convince me wit fact.
Re: Mtn's 'if I Was Your Child' Advert, Wrong English? by thiscounts(m): 8:10am On May 25, 2012
Clairette: .
Pls justify your point with fact. How do u mean 'was' could correct. In what context can 'was' flow where d subject is 'I', the first person singular. Pls convince me wit fact.
The context is when u are expressing unreal conditional sentences.Not only Ist person singular' I' u can use that way,3rd person singular i.e he,she,someone etc could go with was/were .Check page 52 of A UNIVERSITY GRAMMAR OF ENGLISH by Randolph.Q&Sidney .G.We are all here to learn &I think I help wt this
Re: Mtn's 'if I Was Your Child' Advert, Wrong English? by thiscounts(m): 10:44am On May 25, 2012
To shed more light, was/were is used instead of is/are to convey the sense that the action didnt actually take place or wouldnt take place.Expression conveyed in conditional tense of this sense is always in past form.e.g I was to go to Lagos tomorrow.
Another example is;It is high time we left for Accra.They are all unreal conditional tenses in actual real world.

(1) (Reply)

Perfect African Story / Merlin Season6-aurthur's Return / How Girls Fainted Over Desmond's Handsomeness (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.