Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

What They Don't Tell You About Atheism - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What They Don't Tell You About Atheism (18373 Views)

Since I've Joined Nairaland,what I've Learned About Atheism / Apatheist, Let's Talk About Atheism. / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by jayriginal: 8:18pm On May 31, 2012
Martian:

Of course I don't know. The only difference is that I don't make stuff up, call it "extraphysical", then ask people to take a stance.
I wish I could "like" this a hundred times over !
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Nobody: 9:17pm On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

Please, I need you on my new thread
ok
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by logicboy: 9:20pm On May 31, 2012
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by UyiIredia(m): 5:39pm On Jun 11, 2012
logicboy:

Ode, read comments again. This confidence in ignorance is getting to my nerves!!! angry angry angry angry

Yes, there is causality within the universe. However, when it comes to the totality of the universe, it is a different matter. If there is a cause to existence, it becomes a paradoxical impossibility because that cause itself is an existence since it exists

No. The cause always existed. Besides YOU are unwilling to apply this paradoxical impossibility to Nature.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by logicboy: 5:54pm On Jun 11, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

No. The cause always existed. Besides YOU are unwilling to apply this paradoxical impossibility to Nature.

Even so, that cause is not God
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by UyiIredia(m): 6:43pm On Jun 11, 2012
logicboy:

Even so, that cause is not God

Because you shy away from the reality of God shown in Nature and in human being such as yourself.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by logicboy: 8:11pm On Jun 11, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Because you shy away from the reality of God shown in Nature and in human being such as yourself.

Lol. There is not one single proof of God.

I remember when my Uncle was always shouting at me for being an atheist. Telling me that God is annoyed with my blasphemy and is punishing me. He had an accident. In hospital, I asked him why God is punishing him? He sat there quiet. He never talked to me about God since then.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by cyrexx: 8:23pm On Jun 11, 2012
nice one, logicboy,
you see, religionists will always wish evil on we atheists so they can gloat over us and say "god is punishing you for your sins and your rejection of him bla bla bla"
but in many cases, the joke is on them when their non-existent god refuses to answer their prayers when they needed him most.
what goes around comes around.
LOL
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Kay17: 3:53pm On Jun 12, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Within what framework was that possible? In a void?
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 10:42pm On Jun 12, 2012
Kay 17:

Within what framework was that possible? In a void?

Not a void but a non-physical (or spiritual) realm.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Kay17: 10:38am On Jun 13, 2012
Mr_Anony:

with absolute time involved or no time or unknown substance working similarly to time?
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 10:49pm On Jun 15, 2012
Kay 17: with absolute time involved or no time or unknown substance working similarly to time?

Sorry I don't quite follow
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by thehomer: 9:47am On Jun 16, 2012
Mr_Anony:

What is this spiritual realm and what are its inhabitants?
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 10:43am On Jun 16, 2012
thehomer:

What is this spiritual realm and what are its inhabitants?

read through the thread and you'll get the idea. here's another thread by the way: https://www.nairaland.com/817389/atheism-no-god-religion/8
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by jayriginal: 12:19am On Jun 04, 2013
Mr_Anony: 1. Atheism is supposed to be the lack of a belief in deity (God) rather it is the convenient denial of God so as to go against conscience commit as many crimes one can get away with.

2. Atheism has no moral code or guidelines i.e. does not define good and evil hence serial rapists, serial killers, pedophiles, fraudsters are all justified as atheists.

3. The world's most hideous mass murderers were atheists namely Hitler and Stalin

4. For a group of people who don't believe in God, they go a long way to try and force this non-belief on others who don't share it and will even resort to name-calling and violence in some cases. It seems to me that they do this so as to constantly convince themselves that there is no God even though their consciences and their souls protest (heck they even deny the soul)

5. Atheists will always misuse science by quoting so called "scientific facts" as if they were some infallible creed (deliberately forgetting that fallibility is in fact the nature of science)

6. Atheists simply do not have any morals and they are quite comfortable attacking those with morals by calling them intolerant brainwashed fanatic bigots because it gives them some sort of a superiority complex.

7. Though they often claim to be logical, they mostly fail to provide logical arguments rather they resort to over-simplistic lines, quoting theists out of context and plain old mockery.

8. My question to Atheists; Justify your belief. Can you prove to me with 100% certainty that there is no God?

Laughable at best. The damage that was done by christians was done with crude weapons and instruments and see how much blood they shed despite the limitations. Imagine if they had modern weapons, nukes and em. And did you call Hitler an atheist? Did you really?

PS its Bertrand not Bertram

Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by UyiIredia(m): 1:19am On Jun 04, 2013
Argumentum ad hominem. May I suggest Mr Anony that you limit yourself to rebutting atheists arguments, instead of engaging in smear campaigns as precedented in the OP.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by thehomer: 8:02am On Jun 05, 2013
Mr_Anony: 1. Atheism is supposed to be the lack of a belief in deity (God) rather it is the convenient denial of God so as to go against conscience commit as many crimes one can get away with.

2. Atheism has no moral code or guidelines i.e. does not define good and evil hence serial rapists, serial killers, pedophiles, fraudsters are all justified as atheists.

3. The world's most hideous mass murderers were atheists namely Hitler and Stalin

4. For a group of people who don't believe in God, they go a long way to try and force this non-belief on others who don't share it and will even resort to name-calling and violence in some cases. It seems to me that they do this so as to constantly convince themselves that there is no God even though their consciences and their souls protest (heck they even deny the soul)

5. Atheists will always misuse science by quoting so called "scientific facts" as if they were some infallible creed (deliberately forgetting that fallibility is in fact the nature of science)

6. Atheists simply do not have any morals and they are quite comfortable attacking those with morals by calling them intolerant brainwashed fanatic bigots because it gives them some sort of a superiority complex.

7. Though they often claim to be logical, they mostly fail to provide logical arguments rather they resort to over-simplistic lines, quoting theists out of context and plain old mockery.

8. My question to Atheists; Justify your belief. Can you prove to me with 100% certainty that there is no God?

This is in response to similar posts by logicboy and other militant evangelist atheists on Nairaland.

Well I'm a humanist too.

Your final question shows that you either don't understand your first point or you were just committing the tactics you're accusing atheists of. I've placed the emphasis on what you need to first understand in order for you to address your last question.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by jayriginal: 12:30am On Sep 03, 2014
MrAnony1: 1. Atheism is supposed to be the lack of a belief in deity (God) rather it is the convenient denial of God so as to go against conscience commit as many crimes one can get away with.

This is in response to similar posts by logicboy and other militant evangelist atheists on Nairaland.

Bump for the records. OP claimed to have been an atheist once.

Beware of those who only do good because of the fear of hell!
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 6:31am On Sep 04, 2014
jayriginal:
Bump for the records. OP claimed to have been an atheist once.
Yes, the OP was once an atheist. Then he got wise.

Beware of those who only do good because of the fear of hell!
If you are referring to the OP here, then you couldn't be more wrong because he(the OP) does not do good because he is afraid of hell rather he does good because he loves the One who loved him first enough to die for him while he was yet a sinner. The OP submissively follows the leading of this One.

The person you need to fear is the person who used to do good because he was afraid of hell but now doesn't fear hell anymore. Such a person no longer has any reason to do good and every reason to do evil.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Kay17: 10:39pm On Sep 04, 2014
Anony1 confuses atheism with antipathy for the incomprehensible Christian God. There is a layer of deceit at pretending that atheism is solely against Christianity, it is a denial of a whole category of existence -- supernatural.

Also, atheism treats all Gods to be of an equal disposition and to have a common cause.

3 Likes

Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Abdstrakt(m): 8:03am On Sep 05, 2014
Religion is a scam. I don't need religion to know that certain things are not good, I don't need to be bribed with the idea of eternal life before i can love my neighbor/be kind to pple/live an honest life/help the needy etc. I don't need religion to know that there's someone up there that's greater than us all. I just need to look up in the sky to know that there's an uncaused cause, a necessary being, In as much as I think one cannot come to the knowledge of God’s existence through reason alone, reason alone can bring us to the knowledge of God’s existence. It will be an incomplete knowledge of God, but it is the knowledge of God nonetheless. the wise thing to do is to live your life as if God does exist because such a life has everything to gain and nothing to lose. If we live as though God exists, and He does indeed exist, we have gained heaven. If He doesn’t exist, we have lost nothing. If, on the other hand, we live as though God does not exist and He really does exist, we have gained hell and punishment and have lost heaven and bliss. If one weighs the options,clearly the rational choice to live as if God exists is the better of the possible choices.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Oduduwaboy(m): 9:36am On Sep 05, 2014
Abdstrakt: Religion is a scam. I don't need religion to know that certain things are not good, I don't need to be bribed with the idea of eternal life before i can love my neighbor/be kind to pple/live an honest life/help the needy etc. I don't need religion to know that there's someone up there that's greater than us all. I just need to look up in the sky to know that there's an uncaused cause, a necessary being, In as much as I think one cannot come to the knowledge of God’s existence through reason alone, reason alone can bring us to the knowledge of God’s existence. It will be an incomplete knowledge of God, but it is the knowledge of God nonetheless. the wise thing to do is to live your life as if God does exist because such a life has everything to gain and nothing to lose. If we live as though God exists, and He does indeed exist, we have gained heaven. If He doesn’t exist, we have lost nothing. If, on the other hand, we live as though God does not exist and He really does exist, we have gained hell and punishment and have lost heaven and bliss. If one weighs the options,clearly the rational choice to live as if God exists is the better of the possible choices.
Fair submission...
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Purist(m): 11:07am On Sep 05, 2014
MrAnony1:
Yes, the OP was once an atheist. Then he got wise.

If you are referring to the OP here, then you couldn't be more wrong because he(the OP) does not do good because he is afraid of hell rather he does good because he loves the One who loved him first enough to die for him while he was yet a sinner. The OP submissively follows the leading of this One.

I see you haven't changed a bit. You didn't even say anything differently. By your own admission, you only do good because of a belief that you have been redeemed vicariously. Otherwise you have no reason to do good, for then you would feel guilty for failing to return the 'love' of this supposed redeemer. And why should you feel any guilt in the first place, except for the fact that the penalty for being unable to 'love the one who first loved you' is an eternal vacation in hell.

"He loved me first so I must love him back, or else I'm doomed" ...sounds like a very unhealthy relationship if you ask me.

2 Likes

Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 4:53am On Sep 06, 2014
Purist:
I see you haven't changed a bit. You didn't even say anything differently.
I see you have changed quite a lot and now say everything differently.

By your own admission, you only do good because of a belief that you have been redeemed vicariously. Otherwise you have no reason to do good....
Yes I do good because I have been redeemed by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ who took my punishment on my behalf and hence justifies me.

Why do you do good? What is your reason?

.....for then you would feel guilty for failing to return the 'love' of this supposed redeemer.
Here you introduce your strawman. Where I spoke of gratitude, you speak of guilt.

...And why should you feel any guilt in the first place, except for the fact that the penalty for being unable to 'love the one who first loved you' is an eternal vacation in hell.
Continuing with your strawman, you add to it a demonstration of your ignorance of the fact that hell is the deserved punishment for those who do evil.
It is only natural to be grateful to the one who sacrificed Himself as propitiation for my sin - so that I don't go to hell which I deserve for the evil I've done - and to do good in honour of Him.

"He loved me first so I must love him back, or else I'm doomed" ...sounds like a very unhealthy relationship if you ask me.
Wrong. The correct order is: "I was doomed but He loved me and saved me from damnation. Therefore I can't help but to love Him back"
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by jayriginal: 11:02am On Sep 08, 2014
MrAnony1:
Why do you do good? What is your reason?

As humans, we share a common struggle. We experience pain and pleasure, we bond. We can think and overide natural instincts. We know we can live together, old and young, strong and feeble. We can help ourselves and do not need to be forced into doing so. We are fully capable of deriving pleasure from making life better for others.

That trumps being compelled to do good any day!

1 Like

Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 11:11am On Sep 08, 2014
Kay17: Anony1 confuses atheism with antipathy for the incomprehensible Christian God. There is a layer of deceit at pretending that atheism is solely against Christianity, it is a denial of a whole category of existence -- supernatural.

Also, atheism treats all Gods to be of an equal disposition and to have a common cause.
Now all you have to do is provide evidence that would suggest that what you've said is true because I am quite sure that I do not think that atheism is necessarily the same as anti-Jehovah. . . .or perhaps you are telling one of your lies again.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 11:37am On Sep 08, 2014
The question was: Why do you do good? What is your reason?

jayriginal:

As humans, we share a common struggle. We experience pain and pleasure, we bond. We can think and overide natural instincts. We know we can live together, old and young, strong and feeble. We can help ourselves and do not need to be forced into doing so. We are fully capable of deriving pleasure from making life better for others.
That's not quite true

As humans, we share a common struggle. We experience pain and pleasure, we bond but we also divide. We can think and override natural instincts but we can also give in to them.
We know we can live together, old and young, strong and feeble and we also know that we can also live apart and separate the weak from the strong.
Sometimes we can help ourselves and do not need to be forced into doing so but we also recognize the necessity of laws, governments and a police force to compel us to help one another for those other times when we don't want to be helpful.
We are fully capable of deriving pleasure from making life better for others and we are also fully capable of deriving pleasure in making life miserable for others.

The question you haven't answered is why make life better for others and not worse for them since we are fully capable of doing both? In other words, Why do you do good? (we will assume for the sake of argument that making life better for others is doing good)

That trumps being compelled to do good any day!
I never said that I was compelled to do good.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by jayriginal: 2:32pm On Sep 08, 2014
MrAnony1: The question was: Why do you do good? What is your reason?

That's not quite true

As humans, we share a common struggle. We experience pain and pleasure, we bond but we also divide. We can think and override natural instincts but we can also give in to them.
We know we can live together, old and young, strong and feeble and we also know that we can also live apart and separate the weak from the strong.
Sometimes we can help ourselves and do not need to be forced into doing so but we also recognize the necessity of laws, governments and a police force to compel us to help one another for those other times when we don't want to be helpful.
We are fully capable of deriving pleasure from making life better for others and we are also fully capable of deriving pleasure in making life miserable for others.

The question you haven't answered is why make life better for others and not worse for them since we are fully capable of doing both? In other words, Why do you do good? (we will assume for the sake of argument that making life better for others is doing good)

I never said that I was compelled to do good.

Here is a list of things I never said.

I never said;

We dont divide
We dont give in to natural instincts
We cant separate the weak from the young
We dont need government/police/instruments of the law
People dont derive pleasure from the misery of others

Please if you can make an argument without importing baseless assertions, do so and lets hear it. I have told you why I do good. If I say I have empathy or I share in the great struggle of humanity, that ought to be clear enough. On no account have I stated as you are wont to say that there arent people who hold their fellow humans in contempt.

Try again.
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by Kay17: 1:18am On Sep 09, 2014
MrAnony1: 1. Atheism is supposed to be the lack of a belief in deity (God) rather it is the convenient denial of God so as to go against conscience commit as many crimes one can get away with.

MrAnony1:
Now all you have to do is provide evidence that would suggest that what you've said is true because I am quite sure that I do not think that atheism is necessarily the same as anti-Jehovah. . . .or perhaps you are telling one of your lies again.

Where did you hide the remainder of the Gods atheists deny?!
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by TheBigUrban2: 4:54am On Sep 09, 2014
smh.....Anony the twister
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 9:08pm On Sep 10, 2014
jayriginal:

Here is a list of things I never said.

I never said;

We dont divide

Here is a list of things I never said that you said.

I never said that you said that;

We dont divide

I simply pointed out to you that arguing that you are kind because you are capable of being kind is just as good as saying that you are cruel because you are capable of being cruel. It still doesn't tell us anything about why you should choose to be kind as opposed to being cruel since you are obviously capable of both.

I have told you why [b]I do good. If I say I have empathy or I share in the great struggle of humanity, that ought to be clear enough.[/b]
I am afraid but citing empathy and sharing in the "great struggle of humanity" are not valid reasons for why you do good especially since other people who do evil also share the same properties of empathy and the "great struggle of humanity".

Your reason is as bad as a person saying that the reason he tells lies and insults people is because he has a tongue. It will be perfectly in order to point out to the person that other people who also possess tongues don't lie and insult people and hence his reason is unacceptable.

If you have a valid reason for why you ought to do good then please let us hear it. So far you have only succeeded in blowing air
Re: What They Don't Tell You About Atheism by MrAnony1(m): 9:10pm On Sep 10, 2014
Kay17:
Where did you hide the remainder of the Gods atheists deny?!
Lol....you are really a funny lady. Go and look up what it means to argue from silence

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Samuel Uche Accuses Buhari Of Plans To Islamise Nigeria / Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It / What You Must Know Before You Die

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.