Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? (3890 Views)

Watch Out! Three Events That Must Occur Before The Antichrist Appears On Earth. / Have You Taken Note Of The Co-incidence Of Life / Co-incidence Of Life I Just Discovered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by sophy09: 12:28am On May 26, 2012
Has this incident ever occur to anyone whereby at midnight (mostly around 2,3 or 4) while sleeping you feel something or someone either choking the life out of you or pressing you down. You struggle most times to breathe and when you wake up, you don't see anything/anyone.

1 Like

Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by buzugee(m): 12:41am On May 26, 2012
sophy09: Has this incident ever occur to anyone whereby at midnight (mostly around 2,3 or 4) while sleeping you feel something or someone either choking the life out of you or pressing you down. You struggle most times to breathe and when you wake up, you don't see anything/anyone.
sounds like you need an exorcism

lol seriously though it could be hypovolemia. are you anemic ?
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Purist(m): 12:51am On May 26, 2012
sophy09: Has this incident ever occur to anyone whereby at midnight (mostly around 2,3 or 4) while sleeping you feel something or someone either choking the life out of you or pressing you down. You struggle most times to breathe and when you wake up, you don't see anything/anyone.

What you described is known as Sleep Paralysis. Yes, it happens and is a medical condition which occurs even in perfectly healthy persons and could be triggered by a couple of factors, including sleeping positions and certain adopted habits.

A quick search[1] revealed that, "you may be able to minimize the [sleep paralysis] episodes by following good sleep hygiene:

* getting enough sleep
* reduce stress
* exercise regularly (but not too close to bedtime)
* keep a regular sleep schedule"

You may want want to request that this thread be filed appropriately under the section to which it truly belongs, namely, the Health section. You will probably get more valuable responses and tips from there.

Cheers!

[1] http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html

2 Likes

Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by sophy09: 1:05am On May 26, 2012
^ How come it does not happen in the afternoon but only at night?
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by DHead(m): 1:19am On May 26, 2012
Sincerely, it is common but I tel u, most of d time it's a kind of demonic attak n all u nid do is to PRAY n cova ursef wit d BLOOD OF JESUS n it wil stop. Jst try it.
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Purist(m): 2:28am On May 26, 2012
sophy09: ^ How come it does not happen in the afternoon but only at night?

It could happen at any time. As a matter of fact, there are lots of people that have reported experiencing this paralysis while taking an afternoon nap. You experience it only at night probably because that is the only period you get to have some real sleep. As advised earlier, you could do well to adjust your sleeping habits in order to curtail this problem.

P.S. Don't listen to the guy above me. He's a D***Head as his handle aptly suggests.

2 Likes

Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Image123(m): 4:27am On May 26, 2012
i like the originality the OP uses in the description, someone pressing you down. That's the picture until theorists begin to paint vain theories with no solutions but rigmaroles.
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Nobody: 5:36am On May 26, 2012
Purist:

It could happen at any time. As a matter of fact, there are lots of people that have reported experiencing this paralysis while taking an afternoon nap. You experience it only at night probably because that is the only period you get to have some real sleep. As advised earlier, you could do well to adjust your sleeping habits in order to curtail this problem.

P.S. Don't listen to the guy above me. He's a D***Head as his handle aptly suggests.

Yeah, I've experienced such in the afternoon. Not that frequent anyway...
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Image123(m): 10:35pm On May 26, 2012
musKeeto:

Yeah, I've experienced such in the afternoon. Not that frequent anyway...
i can never experience it, and I'm sure you know why.
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by achmed1(m): 3:49pm On May 28, 2012
Ok
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Nobody: 4:37pm On May 28, 2012
Image123:
i can never experience it, and I'm sure you know why.
Of course, every human has unique experiences. For me, it's sleep paralysis, for you it's brain paralysis...

1 Like

Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Image123(m): 12:17am On May 30, 2012
musKeeto:
Of course, every human has unique experiences. For me, it's sleep paralysis, for you it's brain paralysis...
you do yourself a disservice. i have no such useless unique experiences, Jesus took care of them for moi, jealous.
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by logicboy: 12:48am On May 30, 2012
Image123:
you do yourself a disservice. i have no such useless unique experiences, Jesus took care of them for moi, jealous.

So Jesus heals your medical problems? Then you should avoid those doctors
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Image123(m): 2:00am On May 30, 2012
logicboy:

So Jesus heals your medical problems? Then you should avoid those doctors
you're no different from some of the 'christian' preachers that zealously preach against receiving medical treatment or using drugs. you're one frustrated soul. Jesus, nor the Bible never asked anyone to avoid doctors. Christians study medicine and become world renowed doctors. Jesus also gave them the wisdom and right. cool
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by logicboy: 2:13am On May 30, 2012
Image123:
you're no different from some of the 'christian' preachers that zealously preach against receiving medical treatment or using drugs. you're one frustrated soul. Jesus, nor the Bible never asked anyone to avoid doctors. Christians study medicine and become world renowed doctors. Jesus also gave them the wisdom and right. cool

No, Jesus did not give any knowledge, he brought misinformation until some wise scientists brought about germ theory.
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Image123(m): 2:35am On May 30, 2012
i don't like to argue with blind people about colours. Jesus made the whole world and all that is in it. Nobody gets anything except Jesus gives it to him.
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by sophy09: 2:37am On May 30, 2012
achmed1: I do xperience dis a lot ,though it has reduces significantly of recent. I even told my parents about it and have been xperiencing it sinc i was a kid.

As you said it happens at night, in d middle of my sleep i feel some level of consciousness and desire to get up, but i just cant .....its like am struggling to stand up but i cant ,like am paralysed.
When dis happens i begin to call unto the name of God continuesly and then suddenly am released from its grip, i wake up looking like a just got up from a bad dream.

Used to think it was spiritual attack, it is always scary.

Yeah something like that. Whereby it looks like you are sleeping and awake at the same time. So is it still the sleep paralysis or what?
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Nobody: 5:45am On May 30, 2012
Image123:
Lol, of course... Jesus took care of them but still gives Christians ability to treat that which he has taken care of..
Amazing... makes a lot of sense...
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by fubbyy(m): 7:06am On May 30, 2012
buzugee: sounds like you need an exorcism

lol seriously though it could be hypovolemia. are you anemic ?

You should be the one to check your self because this happens to every1 except you,its part of human nature, you must have a problem
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Image123(m): 10:34am On May 30, 2012
musKeeto:
Lol, of course... Jesus took care of them but still gives Christians ability to treat that which he has taken care of..
Amazing... makes a lot of sense...
He gives everyone, not just Christians ability and wisdom and sanity. He's smart enough, unlike you to know and consider that not everybody has FAITH in Him to be healed of each sickness,not even all His disciples have faith the size of a mustard seed. He thereby made alternative provisions in natural foods, therapies, pharmaceutical development and so on.
you're just a confused fellow. If God gave alternatives, you'll complain on how amazed you are. where He gave no alternatives(matter of salvation from sin for instance), you still remain foolishly amazed. He is the Amazing God with amazing grace.
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Image123(m): 10:39am On May 30, 2012
BTW, when last did they 'suck your blood', muskeeto? I'm not aware of any discovered cure yet for 'sleep paralysis', but i know Jesus makes that 'paralysis' flee since forever. Your gods are late.
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by LogicMind: 10:41am On May 30, 2012

Next time it happens, shout the following and the person pressing you down will disappear.

"blood of Jesus".

It has always worked for me anyway even as an atheist. go figure.
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by jayriginal: 11:59am On May 30, 2012
@Op, its called sleep paralysis as Purist has told you. There is nothing spiritual about it. Ignore those who say otherwise.

What is Sleep Paralysis
Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking. Sleep paralysis may accompany other sleep disorders such as narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is an overpowering need to sleep caused by a problem with the brain's ability to regulate sleep.

Who Develops Sleep Paralysis?

Up to as many as four out of every 10 people may have sleep paralysis. This common condition is often first noticed in the teen years. But men and women of any age can have it. Sleep paralysis may run in families. Other factors that may be linked to sleep paralysis include:

a lack of sleep
a sleep schedule that changes
mental conditions such as stress or bipolar disorder
sleeping on the back
other sleep problems such as narcolepsy or nighttime leg cramps
use of certain medications
substance abuse

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis

Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by logicboy: 12:47pm On May 30, 2012
Image123: BTW, when last did they 'suck your blood', muskeeto? I'm not aware of any discovered cure yet for 'sleep paralysis', but i know Jesus makes that 'paralysis' flee since forever. Your gods are late.

So explain why I dont need jesus even though I have sleep paralysis once in a while?

It clearly depends on sleeping patterns.

Be there claiming Jesus for everything. You only look foolish
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Image123(m): 5:45pm On May 30, 2012
logicboy:

So explain why I dont need jesus even though I have sleep paralysis once in a while?

It clearly depends on sleeping patterns.

Be there claiming Jesus for everything. You only look foolish

i should explain why you don't need Jesus ke? You may be in a sillier position to explain such. You need Jesus.
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Image123(m): 5:50pm On May 30, 2012
Who Develops Sleep Paralysis?

Up to as many as four out of every 10 people may have sleep paralysis. This common condition is often first noticed in the teen years. But men and women of any age can have it. Sleep paralysis may run in families. Other factors that may be linked to sleep paralysis include:

a lack of sleep
a sleep schedule that changes
mental conditions such as stress
or bipolar disorder
sleeping on the back
other sleep problems such as narcolepsy or nighttime leg cramps
use of certain medications
substance abuse
well, you are doing a good job troubleshooting, but i want to assure you that i have gone through the bolded, many times and did not for once have sleep paralysis. Not even by chance or mistake. Try harder, this is jetage?
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 30, 2012
Image123:
well, you are doing a good job troubleshooting, but i want to assure you that i have gone through the bolded, many times and did not for once have sleep paralysis. Not even by chance or mistake. Try harder, this is jetage?
Seems like you got a new mentor, davidlyan I guess?
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by logicboy: 6:13pm On May 30, 2012
musKeeto:
Seems like you got a new mentor, davidlyan I guess?

Yes, I noticed a change in Image123 too! It seems he is now confident of his ignorance!
Can you imagine someone claiming sleep paralysis is spiritual? That Jesus is the cure? What next Jesus is the cure for AIDS....oh wait!
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 30, 2012
logicboy:

Yes, I noticed a change in Image123 too! It seems he is now confident of his ignorance!
Can you imagine someone claiming sleep paralysis is spiritual? That Jesus is the cure? What next Jesus is the cure for AIDS....oh wait!
Lmao... indeed...
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Image123(m): 7:01pm On May 30, 2012
i never knew i used to sound timid? i'm learning new things, what do you know.
muskeet, you miss davidylan?
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by Image123(m): 7:09pm On May 30, 2012
logicboy:

You need exposure you know, i know many places where multitudes will also be imagining that someone claims sleep paralysis is physical. BTW, there is no 'known' cure yet, no? Jesus Christ is not the cure for any sickness as it were. Jesus Christ cures sicknesses, all. You don't know Him, neither have you ever tried Him, yet you claim like you know Him than we all do.
Re: Has This Incidence Occur To Anyone? by jayriginal: 8:00pm On May 30, 2012
Image123:

Jet age ?

The more reason you should free yourself of superstition. Sleep paralysis does not affect everybody. If you have never had it, its no evidence of Jesus. A lot of non believers have never had it either.

Also, you went through the "bolded". I noticed you listed "certain medications" as one of those you've been through. Without the author being specific, how would you know which medications he was talking about ?

Oh and just so you know, sleep paralysis cuts across cultures. Its not a Nigerian or African thing. Go figure!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Roman Catholicism And Cultism / Yahweh Vs Allah: Who Is God? / Why Did The Vatican Remove 14 Books From The Bible In 1684?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.