Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,998 members, 7,799,426 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? (35571 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tosank: 3:07pm On Jun 24, 2012
Ngodigha1:
The above idiotic post is totally irrelevant. This thread has nothing to do with the Igbo and as a result, no need to mention Igbo. It shows how insecure you feel in Nigeria. What a shame.
One uninformed poster claimed edos seem themselves as yorubas and Edos came up and said no and supported by well informed nairalanders of diverse ethnic backgrounds. No need to display stupidity at a public forum. Abi them swear for you?. Nonsense.

Watch it there!
We won't tolorate ordinary omo ajeokutamamomi to talk to a bonafide Yoruba just like that! We wil soon send u people packing from Ibadan and Lagos!
Spare part sellers talking to urbanized literates!
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 7:31pm On Jun 24, 2012
Ngodigha1:
The above idiotic post is totally irrelevant. This thread has nothing to do with the Igbo and as a result, no need to mention Igbo. It shows how insecure you feel in Nigeria. What a shame.
One uninformed poster claimed edos seem themselves as yorubas and Edos came up and said no and supported by well informed nairalanders of diverse ethnic backgrounds. No need to display stupidity at a public forum. Abi them swear for you?. Nonsense.

You people are polluting the mind of young ones that hasn't grown enough to study history through nairaland with your hatred and vile mind "We are not claiming Edo but we have link with them historically and culturally ,we are both from one source just like the whole world.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Ngodigha1(m): 7:43pm On Jun 24, 2012
tosank:

Watch it there!
We won't tolorate ordinary omo ajeokutamamomi to talk to a bonafide Yoruba just like that! We wil soon send u people packing from Ibadan and Lagos!
Spare part sellers talking to urbanized literates!
Wonders shall never end, imagine a coward like you chasing people away from Lagos and Ibadan. You have not chased Hausas away who continues to dominate every duel between them and Yorubas, yet you are chasing away people.
If I may ask, are you by chance from Aro mental institute?. Your post is like those shameless retardos from there.

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by member58: 7:47pm On Jun 24, 2012
Obalufon:

we are both from one source just like the whole world.

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 7:02pm On Apr 08, 2013
alj harem: Moreover Ikachi here is dahomey, just to confirm with I was saying about the Oyo, Dahomey and Benin

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh6d6yOqjauTm_cDREI-TbXvq47QvRS3LxsiGy2DQz0TY8b9VGew[/img]

You can clearly see that Phase 2 of the Oyo empire did not even get to Lagos

Ondo and Ekiti were in Benin empire.

Lagos, part dahomey and part "Bini"

Dahomey was part of oyo empire, under Oyo tributary for so long till they gain their independence, even Niki Bariba was oyo vassal state .Oyo empire extends it's boundary to upper volta region
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by xolomonstrides(m): 8:22am On Dec 10, 2013
WHAT I THINK IS THAT PUTTING THE TWO STORIES TOGETHER,THERE IS NO NEED FOR DISPUTE.

YORUBAS KNOW A PART OF THE STORY. The Only Thing Is That They Do Not Know The Origin. They Say That ODUDUWA Came From MECCA Some Say From Heaven.This Two Does Not Make Sense. They All Agree That He Came From The East Of Ife. THE BENIN FILLED THIS GAP WITH A MORE SENSIBLE VERSION OF THE ORIGIN.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by macof(m): 3:55pm On Dec 11, 2013
So much distortion of history.

Edo, Ekiti, Oyo, Ijesha, Ijebu are all members of the Same ethnic group.
That's simple.

In terms of history and events.
it's ignorance that makes people believe humans come from the sky.

Igodo- 1st ogiso of Igodomigodo is from ancient ijaw area and not from they sky.
he built a stable kingdom and name it after himself "Igodomigodo" and established "Uselu" as his capital.

Oduduwa wasn't from Mecca, that's foolish lies.
Oduduwa as claimed by bini was the son of Owodo- last ogiso.
some unexposed research(which I have feeds on) seem to link Iwo as Oduduwa's possible birthplace.

Ancient Iwo people(present day Ondo) were Ife sibling nations before Oduduwa's grandsons led squads to over populate all their surroundings and became kings in their new found nations.
They shared a similar culture and language that An Iwo man could be mistaken for an Ife man unlike Igodomigodo that shared almost nothing with Ife. Ife and Iwo high chiefs wore similar beaded crowns unlike Ogiso
When Oduduwa came he was understood perfectly and welcomed wearing a beaded crown.

There were even other Towns east of Ife eg. Idanre, so the fact that Oduduwa came from the east doesn't mean he came from far away North East(Mecca) or South East(Bini)

I am not debunking the claim of Oduduwa coming from Igodomigodo but I feel that shouldn't be resolved as fact. Iwo seems more legit

To the issue of Oduduwa coming from the sky. Oduduwa here is not Oduduwa(the king).
This is a confusion with mixing spirituality with history.

Oduduwa is a symbolic representation of the Force of creation, the very dark energy that Carries atoms which in turn forms matter as the universe expands and evolves

These are simple facts
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tonychristopher: 4:56pm On Dec 12, 2013
akigbemaru: Just because of bad asses like you, many of our forefathers didn’t want to turn Igbo people that scattered around forest and lived on hills and caves. They knew you can transform monkeys and switch their styles up, but the cave men mentality would never let go in their altitudes. That’s just the same nuisance you are constituting right now. grin grin grin grin

When after forefathers came across igbo people, they taught they were monkeys (no clothes on, couldn't pronoun just one word, but what saved you people was we already had monkeys in Idanre hills and despite your people could only mumble "Amu Amu Amu" like our monkeys in Idanre, we noticed you were humans but long time living in the caves without human connection was the reason you can't talk. Then, we called one of our Yoruba professors to codify Igbo language from our Yoruba language. In analogy with how “Noah Webster” an American LEXIGRAPHER codified USA Standard English from British English. This is just how Igbo Language formed from Yoruba Language.
They could have let your language have stress and pattern marks, which makes Yoruba language unique of all languages of the world. Then, our great forefathers knew you could not grab the sophistication of Yoruba language, just because your people had never spoken before. So, we let our Yoruba professor made your Igbo language simple. In analogy, you want anybody who doesn't have any computer experience before to write certification on Java and C#? You had better let him face C-programming or visual basic.

We have this MYTH in olden days, there were two monkey groups (Igbo people and our monkeys in IDANRE, Ekiti. Both were given a grease in form of elixir water to take to triangular section of the busy road, they must dance and sing and should never let the sun rise on them. But our IDANRE monkeys were so overwhelmed with joy and chants that “we are going to turn to humans in a minute. Before those monkeys could reach the spot, Igbo people had reached there, but the grease had almost dried up, they just robbed the little they found in the calabash on their faces. That’s why you still see many Igbo people so hairy all our their body except their faces. undecided undecided

yorubas and cowardice, why facing tyhe igbos, you have lost ilorin,ofa,kogi west oku and so many places to north aboki, you dont even have a king in illorin, now you talk about igbos, bunch of cowards, ijaws fought you in ajegunle, beat you hands down, hausas fought you in m,ile 12 same beating.... now you want to compare igbos to youruba...face the toipic and claim edos, i served there and i know edo language and yoruba aint same

edo say lare fir come
yoruba say wa for come

edo say laoh for please
yoruba say ejo

DONT MIND THE SPELLINGS COS I AINT FROM THERE..BUT ARE THESE LANGUAGES RELATED

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 1:15pm On Dec 15, 2013
tonychristopher:

yorubas and cowardice, why facing tyhe igbos, you have lost ilorin,ofa,kogi west oku and so many places to north aboki, you dont even have a king in illorin, now you talk about igbos, bunch of cowards, ijaws fought you in ajegunle, beat you hands down, hausas fought you in m,ile 12 same beating.... now you want to compare igbos to youruba...face the toipic and claim edos, i served there and i know edo language and yoruba aint same

edo say lare fir come
yoruba say wa for come

edo say laoh for please

yoruba say ejo

You're a clown Mr you need to study all dialect of Yoruba language to know this ? you can't dispute our cultural and historical connection. "Just say edos are igbo..hmm
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by macof(m): 2:34pm On Dec 15, 2013
tonychristopher:

edo say lare fir come
yoruba say wa for come

edo say laoh for please
yoruba say ejo

Ignorance and stupiditi
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by demmie1: 5:20pm On Dec 16, 2013
macof: So much distortion of history.

Edo, Ekiti, Oyo, Ijesha, Ijebu are all members of the Same ethnic group.
That's simple.

In terms of history and events.
it's ignorance that makes people believe humans come from the sky.

Igodo- 1st ogiso of Igodomigodo is from ancient ijaw area and not from they sky.
he built a stable kingdom and name it after himself "Igodomigodo" and established "Uselu" as his capital.

Oduduwa wasn't from Mecca, that's foolish lies.
Oduduwa as claimed by bini was the son of Owodo- last ogiso.
some unexposed research(which I have feeds on) seem to link Iwo as Oduduwa's possible birthplace.

Ancient Iwo people(present day Ondo) were Ife sibling nations before Oduduwa's grandsons led squads to over populate all their surroundings and became kings in their new found nations.
They shared a similar culture and language that An Iwo man could be mistaken for an Ife man unlike Igodomigodo that shared almost nothing with Ife. Ife and Iwo high chiefs wore similar beaded crowns unlike Ogiso
When Oduduwa came he was understood perfectly and welcomed wearing a beaded crown.

There were even other Towns east of Ife eg. Idanre, so the fact that Oduduwa came from the east doesn't mean he came from far away North East(Mecca) or South East(Bini)

I am not debunking the claim of Oduduwa coming from Igodomigodo but I feel that shouldn't be resolved as fact. Iwo seems more legit

To the issue of Oduduwa coming from the sky. Oduduwa here is not Oduduwa(the king).
This is a confusion with mixing spirituality with history.

Oduduwa is a symbolic representation of the Force of creation, the very dark energy that Carries atoms which in turn forms matter as the universe expands and evolves

These are simple facts

The most intelligent piece on the Oduduwa's origin so far, and you dont have to be a cert carrying scholar to piece the facts together.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 8:04pm On Dec 19, 2013
demmie1:

The most intelligent piece on the Oduduwa's origin so far, and you dont have to be a cert carrying scholar to piece the facts together.

Where did you get your fact from? trying to use your distorted intellect will only create more confusion.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 3:49pm On Dec 21, 2013
demmie1:

Typical ife man will never tell you oduduwa is from mecca or East. The story of oduduwa coming from middle east was propagated by Islam to infiltrate our religion. likewise Christianity demonizing our religion. Oduduwa "ate woro." .Yoruba as tribe is Unique .
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by macof(m): 9:48pm On Dec 21, 2013
Bros the Bini origin claim seems authentic even though I feel more research is needed I don't think the Omo n'Oba would lie about this, unless it's just a confusion

Is Oduduwa truly from Igodomigodo?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 2:24am On Dec 26, 2013
macof:
Bros the Bini origin claim seems authentic even though I feel more research is needed I don't think the Omo n'Oba would lie about this, unless it's just a confusion

Is Oduduwa truly from Igodomigodo?

What tribe are you?.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by macof(m): 9:44am On Dec 26, 2013
Obalufon:

What tribe are you?.

Ekiti
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 10:09am On Dec 28, 2013
macof:

Ekiti

EKITI ? "YOU CAN NEVER BE EKITI "THE PUREST ARE THE EKITIS" .YOU'RE IBO BOY .
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 10:10am On Dec 28, 2013
Obalufon:

EKITI ? "YOU CAN NEVER BE EKITI "THE PUREST YORUBA ARE THE EKITIS" .YOU'RE IBO BOY .
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 10:47am On Dec 28, 2013
If you need answer about oduduwa you need to study ifa. Oduduwa "ate woro ni otu ife" Ile-ife ilu run. ife Gateway to heaven.. Don't limit Yoruba as a people .Oyo at its peak was known throughout Africa, Hausa and Yoruba traders were trading far as Sudan mali Mauritanian even Mediterranean region all the metal used in our artifacts can't be mined locally here .African greatest scholar of the sixteen century Ahmed Baba of Songhai mentioned Yoruba also the great ibn battuta world known explorer of the fourteen century .So saying oduduwa is from Benin or igodomigodo is rubbish.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by macof(m): 10:48am On Dec 28, 2013
Obalufon:

EKITI ? "YOU CAN NEVER BE EKITI "THE PUREST ARE THE EKITIS" .YOU'RE IBO BOY .

grin grin abeg o...am ekiti and nothing else
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by macof(m): 10:59am On Dec 28, 2013
Still we shouldn't mix spirituality with history...Oduduwa in Ifa is creator of earth but you can't possibly proclaim Oduduwa(king of Ife) as one and the same entity that was in creation.

Men don't just jump out from the sky, Oduduwa must have been born and Ife oral history claims he came from the east. Personally I think he came from Iwo but we shouldn't just assume he came from Orun as a man without being born, instead we should investigate and research on his issue

Am just trying to be logical and not overly religious, there are could be certain things that Ife didn't know about Oduduwa and never bothered to inquire
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 12:47pm On Dec 28, 2013
macof: Still we shouldn't mix spirituality with history...Oduduwa in Ifa is creator of earth but you can't possibly proclaim Oduduwa(king of Ife) as one and the same entity that was in creation.

Men don't just jump out from the sky, Oduduwa must have been born and Ife oral history claims he came from the east. Personally I think he came from Iwo but we shouldn't just assume he came from Orun as a man without being born, instead we should investigate and research on his issue

Am just trying to be logical and not overly religious, there are could be certain things that Ife didn't know about Oduduwa and never bothered to inquire

The king that was bestowed the title of Oduduwa was Olofin Adimula.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by macof(m): 2:46pm On Dec 28, 2013
Obalufon:

The king that was bestowed the title of Oduduwa was Olofin Adimula.

Olofin is also a title. So where did Olofin Adimula come from?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 4:07pm On Dec 29, 2013
macof:

Olofin is also a title. So where did Olofin Adimula come from?

Haha do you want me to tell another you a story?? i guess not so believe what you want to believe but if you're truly Yoruba never down grade Yorubas with your logic saying oduduwa came from region that far behind us in civilization .
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 4:07pm On Dec 29, 2013
Obalufon:

Haha do you want me to you tell another story?? i guess not so believe what you want to believe but if you're truly a Yoruba as you claimed never down grade Yorubas with your logic saying oduduwa came from region that far behind us in civilization .
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 4:08pm On Dec 29, 2013
[quote author=Obalufon][/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TizhK-X7KGI
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by macof(m): 8:57pm On Dec 29, 2013
Obalufon:

Haha do you want me to tell another you a story?? i guess not so believe what you want to believe but if you're truly Yoruba never down grade Yorubas with your logic saying oduduwa came from region that far behind us in of civilization .

Pls go on with the story. It's not about wat I believe but finding the truth
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by victoradun11: 12:28pm On Jan 24, 2016
Mr. Kérékou was born Sept. 2, 1933, in Kouarfa, in the northwest of what was then Dahomey, a French colony. He was an aide to the Dahomeyan president after the colony became independendent in 1960. He took power in 1972, in the fifth coup since the colony had become independent. Mr. Kérékou adopted a Marxist-Leninist platform two years after the coup, and renamed the nation the People’s Republic of Benin (after a kingdom that flourished in the 17th century).
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Raydos: 2:00pm On Jan 24, 2016
PapaBrowne:
How on earth can we see ourselves as Yorubas?? Where do you live?? Why are Yorubas so love struck with the Binis?? Its a good thing though! We love you back.

First, Edos have a well documented history and culture that dates back to the 9th century. Well documented I said.
Secondly, Edo is a forbear of various ethnic groups both in the country and outside. These groups have their history and ancestory tied to the EDO heritage. From Uhrobos to Itsekiris to Isokos in the south all the way to Lagos in the west. Interestingly, the whole of Lagos traditional rulership was set up by the Binis. The word Eko is a Bini word. Ever wonder why it is called the Oba of Lagos?
While I wouldn't want to argue history here I would just tell you to judge between these two accounts

Yorubas say Oduduwa fell from heaven.
Edos say Oduduwa was the son of of an Ogiso whose name is Izoduwa(bini word) who was banished from the kingdom. The Benin account is very detailed and laced with real and practical stories and names. The Yoruba account is mere Folklore. Judge for yourself which is right.

The question should be whether the Yorubas see themselves as Edos and not the other way round. And I believe the answer is yes, which is why Yorubas have this love affinity with everything Bini.

Why Did You Guys Usually Call "Eko" A Bini Word? - There's A Wide Difference Between The Way Yoruba Pronounce "Eko" When Compared To Bini's Own - Eko Means Camp In Bini While It Means Grass In Yoruba. (Eko Or Oko)

Don't Forget That Eko Is Just A Short Form, The Full Name Is "Eko Akete" - So I Wanna Ask You, Is There Any Anything Like "Eko Akete" In Bini's Language? -

You Could Call Lagos "Eko Ile" Or "Eko Akete" - So Is There Anything Like That In Bini's Language?

STOP CLAIMING WHAT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by bokohalal(m): 8:32pm On Jan 24, 2016
Raydos:

Why Did You Guys Usually Call "Eko" A Bini Word? - There's A Wide Difference Between The Way Yoruba Pronounce "Eko" When Compared To Bini's Own - Eko Means Camp In Bini While It Means Grass In Yoruba. (Eko Or Oko)

Don't Forget That Eko Is Just A Short Form, The Full Name Is "Eko Akete" - So I Wanna Ask You, Is There Any Anything Like "Eko Akete" In Bini's Language? -

You Could Call Lagos "Eko Ile" Or "Eko Akete" - So Is There Anything Like That In Bini's Language?

Reading any short history of Lagos should answer your questions.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Spazolas: 3:22am On Feb 05, 2019
It's funny how threads like this about Yoruba are created by igbo posters (obiagu1) - and most of the clowns who troll, and post dumb comments on the same thread are igbos... You guys are inbred with tribalism, and hatred for Yoruba people..

When has Yoruba people ever claimed any minority group?? We don't even claim Yoruboid groups like Ilajes, and itsekiris in Delta - yet, an Igbo poster deem it right to open an idiotic thread to ask a silly question..We don't even claim Yoruba subgroups in both Kwara, and Kogi states - the OP, and Obiagu1 need to get a life.. Worry about igboid groups denying their ancestry, and leave Yoruba people alone..

Keep writing letters to Ikwerre people begging to claim igbo ancestry, clowns - and keep Yoruba out of your mouth.. What do Edo people have that's beneficial to Yoruba anyways.. We may share the same ancestry, but we're different people..

Thank you my brother, Igbos have hate and bigotry for Yoruba bitten deep into their fabrics, they are so petty and would stoop to the lowest to smear the image of Yoruba. These are a bunch of people who acts like they are custodians of Yoruba history and culture when in fact they are supposed to worry about themselves and stop acting as idiots all over the place

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by xolomonstrides(m): 10:00pm On Feb 05, 2019
Raydos:

So what's the meaning of Eko akete. History and sentiment are worlds apart. The Lagos man would tell you that their royalty is affiliated with the Bini people. Those that are not from Lagos would be defending what they do not know.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi's Wife, Saadatu Lamido, New Photos / Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! / 5 Uniforms Every Responsible Lady Must Wear And The Correct Sequence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.