Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,792 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria (24797 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / Thinking Of Going For Pharmacy Or Dentistry After B.sc In Botany (advice pls) / Where May I Work With Bsc In Physics In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by delejames(m): 7:42am On May 27, 2012
People have been sayin,No other job opportunity in Nigeria,except for lecturing in that field..
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by 2sexy(m): 7:20am On May 30, 2012
delejames: People have been sayin,No other job opportunity in Nigeria,except for lecturing in that field..
that's the way it is. My advice, take a look at the Nigerian economy before you study any course.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:36pm On May 30, 2012
People should stop it now, with these 'any hope' threads angry

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:53am On Jun 01, 2012
I want to state here that there is hope for you even if you read yoruba language..Companies and multinationals these days are not really after what you studied in school,cos employees are usually trained after recruitment ..The most important thing is to graduate with a good result, maybe a first class or 2.1(or maybe a 2.2 also) and be determined..Send applications to all sector, do not limit applications to ur field alone..And also, equip yourself with professional qualifications and Msc as soon as you can...I studied Mathematics/Economics, and I presently work with one of the best Parastatals in Nigeria, even tho people discouraged me while in school that I will end up as a school teacher...The Sky is the Limit for us all my friends....

11 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 11:50am On Jun 01, 2012
collins_an: I want to state here that there is hope for you even if you read yoruba language..Companies and multinationals these days are not really after what you studied in school,cos employees are usually trained after recruitment ..The most important thing is to graduate with a good result, maybe a first class or 2.1(or maybe a 2.2 also) and be determined..Send applications to all sector, do not limit applications to ur field alone..And also, equip yourself with professional qualifications and Msc as soon as you can...I studied Mathematics/Economics, and I presently work with one of the best Parastatals in Nigeria, even tho people discouraged me while in school that I will end up as a school teacher...The Sky is the Limit for us all my friends....

Hehehe, quite funny, even with the number of 'high caliber' oppurtunities that can be accessed
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by ladivaswt: 7:02pm On Aug 30, 2013
Their is much hope for a B.Sc Botany unless you don't know what you read. As a botanist,you can work anywhere because plant is fundamental. You can work in a pharmaceutical comapny, Tobacco company, Oil company (jatropha plant is use in the production of diesel), banks, agricultural industries etc.
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:44pm On Aug 30, 2013
ladivaswt: Their is much hope for a B.Sc Botany unless you don't know what you read. As a botanist,you can work anywhere because plant is fundamental. You can work in a pharmaceutical comapny, Tobacco company, Oil company (jatropha plant is use in the production of diesel), banks, agricultural industries etc.

You are kidding right?

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Davo93(m): 12:48am On Aug 31, 2013
...a Botany Undergraduate but i refuse to be discouraged by some comments here.

5 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:54am On Aug 31, 2013
ladivaswt: Their is much hope for a B.Sc Botany unless you don't know what you read. As a botanist,you can work anywhere because plant is fundamental. You can work in a pharmaceutical comapny, Tobacco company, Oil company (jatropha plant is use in the production of diesel), banks, agricultural industries etc.
grin grin grin
The lies they field to all undergraduates when in school. Even an undergraduate of arabic studies will be brainwashed that they can work everywhere, even in the oil company. By the time they graduate, they face the reality in the Nigerian labour market. There are very few courses that are that versatile and unfortunately botany is not one of them, at least not in Nigeria.
I am not trying to discourage any graduate of any discipline. It's just good to manage your expectations and plan ahead, knowing your limitations and working hard to overcome them.

6 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by ladivaswt: 5:01pm On Sep 02, 2013
Please any botanist here should not mind this guy that does not know what he is saying. A botanist,like I have said earlier on can work in those companies and many more. Its just that the problem we have here in Nigeria is that you need to be connected,you need to know people. Even if you read yoruba language you can work in most places with connection. Unless you a 1st class holder

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:57pm On Sep 02, 2013
ladivaswt: Please any botanist here should not mind this guy that does not know what he is saying. A botanist,like I have said earlier on can work in those companies and many more. Its just that the problem we have here in Nigeria is that you need to be connected,you need to know people. Even if you read yoruba language you can work in most places with connection. Unless you a 1st class holder
I would not have responded if you had stopped at reinforcing your argument that botanist can work anywhere - it's good to console one's self atimes.
But I decided to respond because you chose the common and lazy excuse of knowing people before getting jobs as the challenge botany graduates are facing.
Like I said, it's better to be realistic with one's expectation and work hard to overcome expected challenges, than live in delusion and make lame excuses thereafter.
To put it in clear times, the reason why you won't see botanists in oil coys, manufacturing firms, hospitals, refineries etc is because they are not needed. How come it is the engineers, doctors, industrial chemists, accountants, pharmacists, etc that always have the ''connection'' to get the jobs?
Like I said, I ain't trying to discourage any botanist. Neither am I trying to say they can't work in any particular organization. I'm just saying it's better to know your limitations (as a graduate of botany or any other course) and develop yourself such that you can overcome those limitations. I rest my case.

5 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by marvelling(m): 4:33am On Sep 03, 2013
x-fire:

I would not have responded if you had stopped at reinforcing your argument that botanist can work anywhere - it's good to console one's self atimes.
But I decided to respond because you chose the common and lazy excuse of knowing people before getting jobs as the challenge botany graduates are facing.
Like I said, it's better to be realistic with one's expectation and work hard to overcome expected challenges, than live in delusion and make lame excuses thereafter.
To put it in clear times, the reason why you won't see botanists in oil coys, manufacturing firms, hospitals, refineries etc is because they are not needed. How come it is the engineers, doctors, industrial chemists, accountants, pharmacists, etc that always have the ''connection'' to get the jobs?
Like I said, I ain't trying to discourage any botanist. Neither am I trying to say they can't work in any particular organization. I'm just saying it's better to know your limitations (as a graduate of botany or any other course) and develop yourself such that you can overcome those limitations. I rest my case.

May God bless you my brother!

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by LEGGY7: 10:46pm On Sep 12, 2013
do you urgently need a job send your c.v to kingzodo@gmail.com
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by brayan(m): 12:13am On Sep 13, 2013
Am no botanist but one thing I know is that you shouldn't be discouraged...learn to be innovative and think outside the box you could as well go into farming,horticulture or landscaping as an enterprenural venture and trust me if you have access to hybrid plants you will be raking money because am sure you know how expensive they can be...

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by davide470(m): 9:11pm On Sep 13, 2013
Very simple!
Come out with a 2.1 or First Class, then you can apply for any entry level jobs anywhere, be it audit, FCMG, et al (but try leave oil firms alone, engineers still queue up for back)

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Blizeny: 5:04pm On Apr 10, 2015
I'm a Botanist but I'm an SBO in a bank. Funny right? All you need to succeed in any field is the right skills. Any opportunity you have try to acquire great skills in it. E.g skills in Sales, community development skills etc. 3 of my classmates in university then work with NGOS. But if you want to lecture, you need to futher your education. Get your M.sc as soon as possible and later your PhD. Do you knw while botanists don't lack jobs at that higher educational level? Because we are few in Number so every university needs you. You become a hot cake because they need you to teach the Plant aspect of Biology. You also make a lot of money from research work. Botanical association of America depend on African countries for some researches. Don't be discouraged move on Botany is a great course...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by adetomdx(m): 5:47pm On Jan 22, 2016
Davo93:
which school bro?
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Davo93(m): 7:42pm On Jan 22, 2016
adetomdx:

which school bro?
University of Ife (OAU)
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by myrrtle(m): 8:45pm On Jan 22, 2016
there are so many places you can work as a botanist. check out this article. http://careersome.com/biological-and-physical-sciences/botanist.html
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by superfelix: 12:21pm On Nov 30, 2016
Davo93:
University of Ife (OAU)
Hello bro.. ave been offered admission to study botany in oau.. pls i ave little or no knowledge abt d course... I will be happy if yuu cn put me through... job prospects.... Wat's all about and the course am to take in skul.... Thanks
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Oluwabukola2nji: 7:00pm On Sep 05, 2018
Thanks all for the love and concern... Am a graduate of botany and am yet to be convinced that it is lucrative as some of us claim. Those that are claiming to work in bank with a botany certificate can not prove to us that they are doing any job related to botany there. So are they trying to prove?
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Oluwabukola2nji: 7:13pm On Sep 05, 2018
superfelix:

Hello bro.. ave been offered admission to study botany in oau.. pls i ave little or no knowledge abt d course... I will be happy if yuu cn put me through... job prospects.... Wat's all about and the course am to take in skul.... Thanks
My sincere advice to you is that try to change it to what you know about or be patient till you get a more lucrative course... This is an advice I was not lucky to get some 8 years ago.
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Oluwabukola2nji: 7:23pm On Sep 05, 2018
Blizeny:
I'm a Botanist but I'm an SBO in a bank. Funny right? All you need to succeed in any field is the right skills. Any opportunity you have try to acquire great skills in it. E.g skills in Sales, community development skills etc. 3 of my classmates in university then work with NGOS. But if you want to lecture, you need to futher your education. Get your M.sc as soon as possible and later your PhD. Do you knw while botanists don't lack jobs at that higher educational level? Because we are few in Number so every university needs you. You become a hot cake because they need you to teach the Plant aspect of Biology. You also make a lot of money from research work. Botanical association of America depend on African countries for some researches. Don't be discouraged move on Botany is a great course...
How does Sales relate to Botany certificate, would you expect a graduate of medicine or other lucrative courses to be satisfied with this kind of advise?
Anyway, we that studied it still keep relying on hope and not reality.
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Omnivalent(m): 7:15pm On Feb 29, 2020
Oluwabukola2nji:
Thanks all for the love and concern... Am a graduate of botany and am yet to be convinced that it is lucrative as some of us claim. Those that are claiming to work in bank with a botany certificate can not prove to us that they are doing any job related to botany there. So are they trying to prove?

If you school to become rich, don't even think of of botany.
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by Olufemisamuel: 2:20am On Aug 21, 2020
Is botany a good course to study in Nigeria? Just how much salary would you earn as a botanist in Nigeria?
Check these out by clicking the below link
https://www.nigeriaboom.com/2020/08/how-lucrative-is-botany-in-Nigeria.html
https://www.nigeriaboom.com/2020/07/botanist-salary-in-nigeria.html
I hope you find this very useful for enlightment
Re: Any Hope For Fresh Graduates With Bsc Botany In Nigeria by yungchop: 9:01pm On Jun 02, 2021
Davo93:

How far bro?? You don see work? Omor Na gardening I dey do now o

(1) (Reply)

Man's Resignation Letter Written On A Cake / Edukoya Sacks Most Of Its Employees / Can I Sue My Employer For This??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.