Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

There Is More To Software Development Than Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / There Is More To Software Development Than Programming (2701 Views)

I Want To Start A Career In Software Development / Web Vs Software Development / My Software Development Journey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by harryobas: 1:45pm On May 27, 2012
Programming is fun, but developing quality software is hard. I have come across quite a few programmers who are more interested in learning as many languages as they can to the detriment of learning good design techniques and development practices. While it is good for us as developers to learn as many languages as we can, it is also crucial for us realize that learning languages alone is not enough we must also devote as much time to learning the techniques, tools and practices of the trade.

1 Like

Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by mkwayisi: 5:54pm On May 28, 2012
I TOTALLY agree with you. Point well made! I know a lot of programmers who have a dozen languages under their belts but do not know how to implement a hash table, recursive binary search, or even a linked list. I find that very heart-breaking.

Also, I've seen many rich "software engineers" who's banking software is vulnerable to SQL injection at the login prompt!

So I guess there's more to programming than just software development too.

3 Likes

Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by harryobas: 8:15pm On May 28, 2012
@mkwayisi Programming is one of the activities performed during software development. Which means programming is part of software development.

1 Like

Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by mkwayisi: 9:38pm On May 28, 2012
harryobas: @mkwayisi Programming is one of the activities performed during software development. Which means programming is part of software development.
I believe we all learned that in our "Computer Programming 101" class. Clearly, you are talking from a "software engineer"'s perspective but I'm coming from that of a "programmer"'s. Do you *get it* now?
Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by harryobas: 10:38pm On May 28, 2012
mkwayisi:
I believe we all learned that in our "Computer Programming 101" class. Clearly, you are talking from a "software engineer"'s perspective but I'm coming from that of a "programmer"'s. Do you *get it* now?

I totally understand your point. Programming is the most important, expensive and resource consuming activity of software development and certainly deserve a lot of attention. But it needs to be guided by good design techniques and development best practices because programming is where we can achieve important quality attributes such as testability, maintainability and reusability.
Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by Ajafik(m): 9:33am On May 29, 2012
Coding which is equivalent to programming, testing, maintaining, documentation of artifacts, good User experience and interface, data integrity, are all embedded in the act of good software development. But of course we have many coders and little software developers out there. To most clients the standard is not the issue but for the solution architect to deliver.
Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by Kobojunkie: 12:09pm On May 29, 2012
Of course there is more to Software Development, and there are certainly many groups of people involved in the process.
You have your developers/programmers (those in this group focus more on the language and technologies the solution will be developed with),software Engineers(these are involved in, and make decisions on all aspects of software production, from requirements gathering, through to maintaining the solution post development). You have your Software Architects, and then Analysts, Testers, Integration Engineers, and don't forget the Computer Scientists(these are the guys usually involved in investigating many ways to solve the many problems out there in the computing world).

1 Like

Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by harryobas: 12:20pm On May 29, 2012
Ajafik: Coding which is equivalent to programming, testing, maintaining, documentation of artifacts, good User experience and interface, data integrity, are all embedded in the act of good software development. But of course we have many coders and little software developers out there. To most clients the standard is not the issue but for the solution architect to deliver.

Standard may not be the issue depending on the domain of the solution. For some domains, quality attributes such as reliability, performance or modifiability could be more important than functionality.
Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by Ymodulus: 3:41pm On May 29, 2012
This is absolutely true. You see people saying i program using
Java, PHP, Python, C++ , C# etc. but when you look deep you find out the cannot do something meaninfull with the language the learn. this is rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by Zhedoga: 12:41pm On Sep 07, 2012
please i need a customise software for my mobile phone business.
pls reach me on 08068156673if you can do that me or just send me a text and i wll call u.
Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by naijaswag1: 1:06pm On Sep 07, 2012
This topic is not going to be popular here.That is typical Nigeria programmers for you.They will prefer to bamboozle you with an array of languages they know.Ask them their rating on topcoder or other programming challenge sites,that is irrelevant.What they know is to put together one or two GUI's and that is all.How many Nigerian software engineers do you see at the big silicon valley companies.Even though they hire from select universities,if you know your algorithms,they will hire you.There are Egyptians in google,facebook,microsoft and all the big silicon valley companies and most of them got there via being able to participate in programming challenge competition.I still find it absurd that I don't find Nigerians on topcoder!!!

1 Like

Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by mkwayisi: 5:10pm On Sep 07, 2012
@naija_swag: I'm tempted to ask "What the heck is 'topcoder'?", but I'm gonna google it!
Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by FMK(m): 11:08am On Sep 08, 2012
i read your comment you are all right.

i am best in Ms Access, Sql server,oracle for software development
Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by lordZOUGA(m): 3:24pm On Sep 08, 2012
naija_swag: This topic is not going to be popular here.That is typical Nigeria programmers for you.They will prefer to bamboozle you with an array of languages they know.Ask them their rating on topcoder or other programming challenge sites,that is irrelevant.What they know is to put together one or two GUI's and that is all.How many Nigerian software engineers do you see at the big silicon valley companies.Even though they hire from select universities,if you know your algorithms,they will hire you.There are Egyptians in google,facebook,microsoft and all the big silicon valley companies and most of them got there via being able to participate in programming challenge competition.I still find it absurd that I don't find Nigerians on topcoder!!!
Dude, am on topcoder

1 Like

Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by MortiOnsen: 11:22pm On Nov 16, 2021
Hello everyone, when you decide to launch startup, sooner or later you face a choice: how to create a product. Is it worth it to rigidly plan all the stages and do everything step by step? All this is determined by the models and methodologies of product development, of which there are dozens, and each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages. In this case, the company that hire a dedicated software developers is an excellent assistant for making the right decisions in the field of software development for startups.
Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by NikolaValenti: 9:33am On Jul 27, 2022
A website for your business, affects success. After all, much of what we are used to has been on the Internet for a long time. If you are interested in developing your own website or application, the best option for you is to contact a company that does this. I know a very good company that can not only help you, but also give you some tips and knowledge. I suggest you read their articles on their website https://alfee.org/laravel-development/ and you will understand what I am talking about.
Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by IceColdVeins(m): 9:58am On Jul 27, 2022
mkwayisi:
I TOTALLY agree with you. Point well made! I know a lot of programmers who have a dozen languages under their belts but do not know how to implement a hash table, recursive binary search, or even a linked list. I find that very heart-breaking.

Also, I've seen many rich "software engineers" who's banking software is vulnerable to SQL injection at the login prompt!

So I guess there's more to programming than just software development too.
The bolded is just so common.
Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by Sheriman(m): 9:07pm On Jul 27, 2022
harryobas:
Programming is fun, but developing quality software is hard. I have come across quite a few programmers who are more interested in learning as many languages as they can to the detriment of learning good design techniques and development practices. While it is good for us as developers to learn as many languages as we can, it is also crucial for us realize that learning languages alone is not enough we must also devote as much time to learning the techniques, tools and practices of the trade.
For me, I can't learn more than one language which is Kotlin for Android development. I don't like learning and writing multiple languages I will rather stick with one then develops so many things with it.
Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by emetisuccess(m): 5:44pm On Oct 26, 2022
That's why I love myself. Learning one programming language for years. I want to be better at it. Yeah. I want to know the ins and outs of php, which I will. Nothing going to stop me bru. Let's those saying php is old should keep up saying that. For me, I will learn php to the last point that I'm satisfied. I don't rush learning, I learn slowly to get what I want. Don't rush learning.

1 Like

Re: There Is More To Software Development Than Programming by FranckLuison: 11:07pm On Jun 22, 2023
This product coordinates an endeavor's all's center business cycles and information into a brought together framework. This incorporates bookkeeping, stock administration, HR, and client relationship the board. Models: SAP ERP, Prophet ERP Cloud, Microsoft Elements 365, NetSuite ERP, Infor CloudSuite ERP This product assists associations with dealing with their client collaborations and connections. It tracks client data, deals, and advertising efforts, and gives bits of knowledge into client conduct and inclinations. Models: Salesforce CRM, HubSpot CRM, Microsoft Elements 365 CRM, Zoho CRM, Pipedrive CRM>> enterprise software development

(1) (Reply)

Where To Learn Practical Coding Skills In Lagos / Does He Need Programming In Elect/elect.. / Can Vb 6.0,visual Studio 2008 And Visual Studio 2010 Run On Windows 7 Os.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.