Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,647 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:51 AM

UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' (37922 Views)

Anambra University Renamed After Ojukwu / I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe / Moshood Abiola Polytechnic Applicants For 2012/2013 .check In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by histamine(m): 10:14am On May 29, 2012
This is some bullsh*t!!
I didnt go to UNILAG but WTF!!
Jonathan jus took the piss!!
He better not try this sh*t with UI
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by seyibobo(m): 10:15am On May 29, 2012
My concern is why does our President run after less important thingz when there are pressing issues in the nation. What difference does it make? Instead some foolz would embezzle money changing the brand- the money the university community could benefit from.

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by valencia25(m): 10:17am On May 29, 2012
Message From Nairaland to MAU students formerly known as UNILAG

Dear MAU students on Nairaland,

Contrary to reports from the President of Nigeria and trends on all social networks on the changed of your school name from UNILAG to Moshood Abiola University.

We hereby urge you to update your profile to avoid losing your Nairaland account from UNILAG to whichever one you wish MALU, MAU, MAUL, MAULAG etc.

Your sincerely,
Kaydee
signed: Seun Osewa

Please pass it on!
Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/kaydeecr7

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/adegboyega.quadri

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by fesse(f): 10:18am On May 29, 2012
This is arrant nonsense lipsrsealed. As from today the school has no value again.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by pmarine: 10:18am On May 29, 2012
I dont have anything against Abiola but Jonathan is insane, clueless and surrounded by brainless people. soon UI will be Adedibu University and Ilorin Rasheed Yekini University...What should be important is raising the standard of education not changing names or demeaning its reputation. Politicians mess with everything, when will our leaders grow up and become real leaders...smh
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 10:18am On May 29, 2012
ekt_bear: Ife grads also are folks I've noticed who do not like the name Obafemi Awolowo University.

It isn't good to mix up politics and education...let Ife be Ife, and Unilag be Unilag.

Name some other FG building in Lagos after MKO, if you like

yeah true...LOL. I am one.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 10:19am On May 29, 2012
ollyruffy: Thinking critically, this does not affect the standard of education in that school. So, why stress myself. This is just a name change and changing of some paper heads, get used to it.

You just made my day.I wonder what is in a name that people want to kill themselves over.The school is still below average in performance.why not worry about being the best instead of a nomenclature !
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 10:19am On May 29, 2012
Seem to to be a posthuman award, Federal University of Lagos (UNILAG) had jst bn renamed after a busines mogul, a democrat, a man who faught to sustained democracy, a resiliant worior who did all to retains democrat rule in the Land Areona kaka'nfo M.K.O. Abiola. Pls address dz Akoka federal University located in Lagos as M. K. O. Abiola University, Lagos...as ordered by Mr GEJ hmslf...i blv dz wld b welcumd by all! Hapi democracy day

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Ideasroole: 10:19am On May 29, 2012
Jasiel: This is truly the highest definition of dull but I don't think the change will be immediate. So a bit of hope to those of us in final year- our certificate might not read Moshood Abiola University…
Sorry ma'am, bt presidential orders like this one takes effect with every sense of urgency.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Arnold1(m): 10:20am On May 29, 2012
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 10:22am On May 29, 2012
Come on people... Suck it up already...

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Kingharzyz(m): 10:22am On May 29, 2012
Why are dey protesting the change of name? Sha na dere papa get school nii? Our leaders lack vision and unilag students dont even have vision.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by nanoken: 10:22am On May 29, 2012
if i attend moshood abiola university....and graduate wit good grades...and get a job....how the name go affect my career.....ok wait o....most employers of labour force usually look at the name of the school attended even before the grades.....
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by shadows4(m): 10:23am On May 29, 2012
@histamine wetin go happen if GEJ try am wit UI. Na 4 NL ur noise go end, nothing go happen.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by ballabriggs: 10:23am On May 29, 2012
Firstly, the University of Lagos an institution is a part of the society. UNILAG is an icon in the society -no less than M.K.O Abiola- given the fact that it has impacted directly or indirectly on a lot of people in Lagos and Nigeria. Unfortunately, UNILAG has no say in decisions which has an impact on it. How do you make a decision for UNILAG? UNILAG's stakeholders must come together and have a say on decisions affecting UNILAG. The workers, students, the ALUMNI, residents of Lagos and corporate bodies to mention a few. You don't just wake up one morning and say you have changed its name without having to reach its stakeholders. I can imagine David Cameron sitting in his office and declaring University of London has been changed to Winston Churchill University without the University widely deliberating on it. And that is why we call for University autonomy. Let the stakeholders of these Universities run the Universities. This arrangement where one Professor Rufai and Jona sit in Abuja and politicise decisions affecting our Universities is unacceptable. Pay the fees of your citizens attending the University and let it end there. It is hypocritical to call for true federalism on one hand while Mr Jonathan has a say on something as little as renaming a University. Are we still being governed by Soldiers?

This is not what M.K.O Abiola died for. He fought for freedom! He fought so an iconic institution like the University of Lagos would have a say in decisions affecting it through its stakeholders. With the way democracy is practiced today in Nigeria, people should be raining curses on Abiola. Is this what he fought for? Did he fight so we can be further oppressed? Certainly not! Abiola fought so we may be free. He wanted progress in the lives of the people and not further oppression of the people. Abiola did not die in jail so that millions of our people continue to die from minor ailments. To immortalise M.K.O Abiola is to achieve what he hoped to achieve for the people. He died so that their lives may be better. No amount of name change of institutions would achieve this and so I say, reverse the name of this institution back to the University of Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by kingPINN(m): 10:24am On May 29, 2012
This Jona na complete Jew man, hw can he de-rep the name of tis great institution..MAUL sounds like cow name.. Boy-wich skul u dey nah, girl-MAUL, Boy-wat? Girl-MAUL, Boy-wat na? Girl-MAU MAU, Boy-now u r soundn like a cow.. LMAO

3 Likes

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by yusufcarez: 10:24am On May 29, 2012
slimyem: watch out for Alhaji Lamidi Adedibu for UI....
Hehehe...cheesycheesy
i'm rolling on the ground now.Tachycardia ooooo
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by femo86(m): 10:25am On May 29, 2012
@@bluetooth or wat's ur stinky name.u re d dumbest on this forum.I was waiting for ur reply. Don't think u can get at everyone on NL,olodo, oloshi, I...dddiiioooootttt, slowpoke,BAAS
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Delafruita(m): 10:25am On May 29, 2012
Desola:

The name 'UNILAG' was fine just as it was, it was synonymous with class and panache but renaming it MAU just takes away the prestige in my opinion. I hate this jonasatan even more now. Gosh!
some people are just ignorant.anyone who understands the MKO struggle knows that no place is too "prestigious" to name after the man.i wonder what is so special about the school sef.some little kids witout knowledge of history just spew trash
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by dahcomm(m): 10:25am On May 29, 2012
UNILAG renamed MOSHOOD ABIOLA UNIVERSITY, very funny. As I am making this comment serious protest is building up in and around the University. Jonathan is definitely a dumb-head, good for nothing leader that those not understand the nitty-gritty involved in renaming a University. UNILAG is too prestigious to be defamed by a purposeless president. We students will fight to make sure this malicious act did not stand.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Super1759: 10:25am On May 29, 2012
BUT SERIOUSLY, isn't it sad that we don't remember ANYTHING significant about GEJ's speech than UniLag's change of name? #onlyinNigeria
Come 1st Oct 2012 GEJ Propose Changing Covenant Uni to Rashidi Yekini University And Redeemers To Olu Obansanjo Uni. =D=))=))Crazy Craze
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by denzel2009: 10:26am On May 29, 2012
He just devalued nyansh for aristos.

3 Likes

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 10:26am On May 29, 2012
King harzyz: Why are dey protesting the change of name? Sha na dere papa get school nii? Our leaders lack vision and unilag students dont even have vision.shocked shocked shocked

This is totally uncool.You know these students are not smiling grin grin.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Ilaje44(m): 10:26am On May 29, 2012
euphoria: This is utter rubbish. He is not a millitary head of state like IBB to change the name of a University without consulting with the school authorities. There is a Professor on STV right now that is very mad at the President's decision to make such a change without consulting the school's senate. They are mourning the past VC at the moment with the burial scheduled for Thursday. GEJ needs to consult with stakeholders before making decisions that affect them. This is DEMOCRACY!!!

If he did not consult them, I would advice the school to take the matter to the court (proper court of law where there is no volontary AMEN, but a mandatory MY LORD) with immediate alacriciousity. Goodluck, o rindin sha. A DemonCraze!

Nevertheless, I recognize the Govt immortalizing MKO. It would have been sweet if done democratically. I have never called Goodluck names before, but I mean how can somebody be so daft?

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by crownx(m): 10:27am On May 29, 2012
University of Lagos has had fifty years to build its name. Re-branding to MKO University is a disastrous setback. Goodluck had better options: Stadium in Abuja, New Federal Universities, etc. This action will neither help Unilag nor this PDP government!

3 Likes

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by abubaka101: 10:27am On May 29, 2012
Students at the school will no longer use the name to form or feel proud.
I dey UNILAG, no na UNIPORT! All the same the new names are going to affect the schools popularity and maybe their reputation.
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by lammyjoe006(m): 10:28am On May 29, 2012
Dont mind him jaweeeeeeeeee
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Debroslink: 10:28am On May 29, 2012
I'M UTTERLY DISAPPOINTED!!!
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by abY2: 10:28am On May 29, 2012
Shout out to all unilag students.Great moshoodites. grin

3 Likes

Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by Nobody: 10:29am On May 29, 2012
femo86: @@bluetooth or wat's ur stinky name.u re d dumbest on this forum.I was waiting for ur reply. Don't think u can get at everyone on NL,olodo, oloshi, I...dddiiioooootttt, slowpoke,BAAS

Assfag. . .why not cope and paste your useless comment to your retarrded president facebook page ? Why you are stalkin me like you are one asspumpin nigga ?
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by nanoken: 10:30am On May 29, 2012
UNILAG in 2012:
- a whole dept almost got burnt
- they lost their VC
- they lost a H.O.D
- its now MAU
what's the worst that could happen
Re: UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' by NawaO1(m): 10:31am On May 29, 2012
~Bluetooth:

That should be University of Ibadan right ? cheesy

No Ooº°˚ Ooº°˚ . University of ibadan is gonna be named after baba iyabo Obasanjo University (OBJU) ibadan and unilorin after olushola saraki (OLOYE UNI) J̲̣̣̣U̶̲̥̅̊§τ̲̅ wait and see. Our politicians are bunch of retards who leave pressing issues like security,health, education and economy to pursue there selfish interest. GEJ is only trying to win over the yoruba folks to his side but he seems to have forgotten that he his dealing with the most advance, highly educated and progressive section of Nigeria. They know bullshits when they see one.
He tried by immortalizing MKO (when OBJ refused to D̶̲̥̅̊o so for 8yrs)but the motive behind it is J̲̣̣̣U̶̲̥̅̊§τ̲̅ too glaring.
And to the proud Unilag guys and babes u J̲̣̣̣U̶̲̥̅̊§τ̲̅ have to get used to the name(abiola babes!!!L̳̿Ö̤̣̇☺ː̗̀(=)))ː̖́☺Ö̤̣̇L̳̿ )

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

UNN Twerking Saga: Obi Mirabel's Family Takes Action, Deletes Instagram Account / The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates / Reno Compares Nigerian Universities' Tuition Cost With That Of Other Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.