Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

King Making In Igbo Lands - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / King Making In Igbo Lands (36457 Views)

Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. / The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land / 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by kengis: 4:18pm On May 30, 2012
igbos and most nigerian tribes have a powerful culture
we need to embrace our own traditional values
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 7:13pm On May 30, 2012
Christianity and Igbo culture are fused into one. Most ceremonies done in Igboland today involves the church. Christianity has erased the bad aspects of Igbo culture.
In this photograph is a priest performing his priestly role.
We are Igbo people and we are christians.

Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 7:17pm On May 30, 2012
odumchi: In Arochukwu, we have three types of Eze.

The first and most prominent of all is the Eze Aro: who is the Eze of all Aro people worldwide. The Eze Aro position is not elected, rather it is hereditary. For one to become the Eze Aro, he must be from a particular village in Arochukwu called Oror.

The second type of Eze is the Eze-ezi meaning lineage/compound head. There are three Eze-ezi in Arochukwu and each Eze presides over a specific lineage within the Aro people. The three lineages are the Ibom Isii (six villages led by Eze Ibom Isii), tbe Ezennachi (the villages led by Eze Ezennachi [the current Eze Aro is the Eze Nnachi]), and the Ezeagwu (led by Eze Ezeagwu).

The last type of Eze is the Eze-ogo [/i]meaning [i]village head. There are nineteen Eze-ogo in Arochukwu and their duty is to manage the affairs of their individual villages. The Eze-ogo position is elected by the members of the particular village.
It shall be well with you. This is interesting.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 7:29pm On May 30, 2012
ezotik: ahhh ndigbo is celebrating their monarchs today from nri to aro but tomorrow they will say they never had monarchs and perfected democracy long before the british set foot in nigeria, and day after that they will reverse to monarchy. whatever suits the discussion na dem they claim... ask dede1 grin grin

btw, i see the edo royal sword representing. no wonder some anambra igbos claim edo ancestry. nice.

<insert long live the king> in igbo!
Prior to the coming of the Europeans, 90% of Igboland had no kings. However, some parts of Igboland either under the aristocracy of the Benin empire or the influence of the Benin empire had kings for example Onitsha and Agbor. Like Nri priest had said earlier, Nri and the Aros had Kings but priestly kings.
With the absence of kings in Igboland, the Europeans created warrant chiefs and this creation turned out to be kings today. This kings only got recognition in the 70's. Now they work hand in hand with the government.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 7:33pm On May 30, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

It will be adviceable to know that you must have an "Ozo" title before you wears it in Igboland! So,restrict it to Bini.
Only titled men wear those hats and heirs to the throne could also wear it mostly in Okigwe south of Imo state.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 7:38pm On May 30, 2012
Ichi Eze in Igboland.

Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 7:39pm On May 30, 2012
Ich Eze

Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 7:41pm On May 30, 2012
Igbo bu Igbo, gaa n'ihu.

Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 12:12am On May 31, 2012
Igbo bu Igbo.

Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jun 01, 2012
I see Igbo people like red, is there a reason why?
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 7:38pm On Jun 01, 2012
stillwater: I see Igbo people like red, is there a reason why?
I do not really know what you mean here, nevertherless, you hardly see Igbo people paint their houses red, their cars red and wear red shoes. Titled men in Igboland wears red hats which signifies fathers' struggle to establish a family. Apart from this, the Igbo see red as other Africans see it too.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 7:58pm On Jun 01, 2012
Igbo amaka nuooo!.

Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 2:09pm On Jun 04, 2012
@ The palace of the Igwe.

Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by OneNaira6: 7:57pm On Jun 04, 2012
nice pictures. A past present in the future is always an enlighten thing to watch.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:04pm On Jun 04, 2012
Andre Uweh:
I do not really know what you mean here, nevertherless, you hardly see Igbo people paint their houses red, their cars red and wear red shoes. Titled men in Igboland wears red hats which signifies fathers' struggle to establish a family. Apart from this, the Igbo see red as other Africans see it too.

Andre,the part of "red hats" debateable; Remember that its only title men that wears the "red hat". Mostly " Nze na Ozo" titled men and there are rituals one has to be performed before one wears it. The "okpu nmee"(red hat) means a lot of things. Daalu.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 10:22pm On Jun 04, 2012
@Nri Priest, there is nothing here to debate. You and I agree on the same principle. Red hats for titled men. Jisie Ike Nnukwu nmanwu.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by Abagworo(m): 1:14am On Jun 05, 2012
Anyone who observes Igbo folklore well will know there were three phases of Igbo evolution. The 1st one is the "gboo" age. Then was regarded as ancient time when people were hunting and gathering. Then the Alaeze time when they had kings. Many folk tales tell of kings and princes and even till this day the Ibuzor people in Delta State tell the story of their ancestor being a Prince from Isu which is not Nri, Onitsha or Aro clan. The last phase was the democratic era which coincided with European contact, slave trade, rise of the Edo and insecurity.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:59am On Jun 05, 2012
Abagworo: Anyone who observes Igbo folklore well will know there were three phases of Igbo evolution. The 1st one is the "gboo" age. Then was regarded as ancient time when people were hunting and gathering. Then the Alaeze time when they had kings. Many folk tales tell of kings and princes and even till this day the Ibuzor people in Delta State tell the story of their ancestor being a Prince from Isu which is not Nri, Onitsha or Aro clan. The last phase was the democratic era which coincided with European contact, slave trade, rise of the Edo and insecurity.

Igbuzor also has Nri settlers There is the Ogboli and Umejei factions.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by odumchi: 2:17am On Jun 05, 2012
Abagworo: Anyone who observes Igbo folklore well will know there were three phases of Igbo evolution. The 1st one is the "gboo" age. Then was regarded as ancient time when people were hunting and gathering. Then the Alaeze time when they had kings. Many folk tales tell of kings and princes and even till this day the Ibuzor people in Delta State tell the story of their ancestor being a Prince from Isu which is not Nri, Onitsha or Aro clan. The last phase was the democratic era which coincided with European contact, slave trade, rise of the Edo and insecurity.

Where did you hear this? I am genuinely interested in this because I've never heard it before. Please elaborate for us if possible.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by odumchi: 2:26am On Jun 05, 2012
Andre Uweh: @Nri Priest, there is nothing here to debate. You and I agree on the same principle. Red hats for titled men. Jisie Ike Nnukwu nmanwu.

Not to derail this wonderful thread, but I think there's a distinction between the types of hats (although I may be wrong).

The one worn by the man in the extreme right is the type which I think is for general use (meaning it's worn by politicians, elders, and etc.). My grandfather owned this type of hat although he never took a title.

[img]http://2.bp..com/_KtgRCLnSYMk/TPSuBDXT-fI/AAAAAAAABQ8/wl6OIWfporc/s1600/Nze%2BSunny%2BOgbu%252C%2BBrigadier%2Bgeneral%2BSani%2B%2526%2BObi%2BOkpaloka.JPG[/img]
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by odumchi: 2:34am On Jun 05, 2012
While the ones in this photo are reserved for titled men and traditional rulers.

Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 11:33am On Jun 05, 2012
@ODUMCHI, red hat is a red hat in any format and in Igbo tradition is meant for titled men. However, people now and days wear red hats as fashion just as people wear the military comourflage as fashion.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by odumchi: 10:34pm On Jun 05, 2012
Andre Uweh: @ODUMCHI, red hat is a red hat in any format and in Igbo tradition is meant for titled men. However, people now and days wear red hats as fashion just as people wear the military comourflage as fashion.

Oh ok. Thanks.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by Abagworo(m): 10:56pm On Jun 05, 2012
odumchi:

Where did you hear this? I am genuinely interested in this because I've never heard it before. Please elaborate for us if possible.

I didn't hear it from anyone, I experienced it. When I was a kid there's something called "Ifo" which my Grandparents used to tell their kids in evening gatherings. They are folktales but sometimes tell history of events that happened in the distant past. They told stories of how a village sacked their King and decided that everyone should have a stake in governance as a result of high handedness of the King and his family. Stories of banishments and a whole lot. They told stories of people they called "nde gboo" which literally translates to ancient people. There are a lot of stories and my Grandparents are still alive to tell them till this day.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:04pm On Jun 05, 2012
Andre Uweh: @ODUMCHI, red hat is a red hat in any format and in Igbo tradition is meant for titled men. However, people now and days wear red hats as fashion just as people wear the military comourflage as fashion.

On point!
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by odumchi: 12:23am On Jun 06, 2012
Abagworo:

I didn't hear it from anyone, I experienced it. When I was a kid there's something called "Ifo" which my Grandparents used to tell their kids in evening gatherings. They are folktales but sometimes tell history of events that happened in the distant past. They told stories of how a village sacked their King and decided that everyone should have a stake in governance as a result of high handedness of the King and his family. Stories of banishments and a whole lot. They told stories of people they called "nde gboo" which literally translates to ancient people. There are a lot of stories and my Grandparents are still alive to tell them till this day.

You are lucky to have been opportuned to hear such old wisdom-filled fables from your grandparents. I highly suggest implore you to write down these stories and even post them (if you have the time) here on Nairaland so that you will not forget and so we too can enjoy them.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by Abagworo(m): 3:02am On Jun 06, 2012
I think their should be a thread on Igbo folktales or "Ifo".
Ifo shapii! Woah! Ifo shapii! Woah!

Owere otu mgbe and the response is Otu mgbe eruo!.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by odumchi: 3:44am On Jun 06, 2012
Abagworo: I think their should be a thread on Igbo folktales or "Ifo".
Ifo shapii! Woah! Ifo shapii! Woah!

Owere otu mgbe and the response is Otu mgbe eruo!.

Make it. cool
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 8:09pm On Jun 07, 2012
King making

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Brief History Of NDOKWA / A Nigerian Masquerade Entertaining People With A Priest in Europe / Oruko, Oriki And Orile, The Genius Of The Yoruba In Human Nomenclature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.