Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash (11956 Views)

40 Killed As Cameroonian Troops Chase Boko Haram Into Borno Village / 40 Killed As JTF Takes-over Maiduguri Wards / Over 40 Killed In Renewed Nasarawa Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by nduchucks: 3:39pm On May 29, 2012
Which way, Nigeria? shocked shocked

[img]http://premiumtimesng.com/thumbnail.php?file=banners/protest_pictures_Villagers_in_Jigawa_state[/img]

Lives lost, properties destroyed in the horrific feud between neighbouring communities in Cross River and Akwa Ibom States.

Story - Next page.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by nduchucks: 3:44pm On May 29, 2012
Story Below:

Fourty persons have died in a communal clash between Ntan Obu-Ukpe in Odukpani Local Government Area of Cross River State and Ikpanya Community in Ibiono Ibom Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.

Also, 40 persons, including women, mobile policemen and children have been reported missing as a result of the clash.

The Chairman of Odukpani Council, Stephen Asuquo, confirmed that they clashing communities recorded a number of casualties.

However, Hogan Bassey, spokesman of the Cross River State Command of the Nigeria Police, who also confirmed that casualties were recorded, said he could not give the exact number of the deceased.

“We cannot give the casualty figures for now because we just discovered another person found dead in the area,” Mr. Bassey said.

The Odukpani Council Chairman, Mr. Asuquo said that even properties are being brought down in the feud. “There is no house standing there, the entire village has been destroyed and burnt down,” he said.

Narrating the details of the clash, he said, “I can say it is as a result of the struggle by people from Ikpanya for the land that belongs to the Ntan Obu-Ukpe and Ikpanya is in Ibiono Local Government Council of Akwa Ibom State, while Ntan Obu is in Odukpani Local Government Area of Cross River State”.

“Something akin to this took place a year ago and the deputy governors of the two states met and agreed that everything should return to status quo ante that was the position before the conflict”.

Mr. Asuquo said that “A Supreme Court judgment has ruled that the land belongs to Odukpani and the people of Odukpani are Cross River indigenes and the people from Ikpanya have tried to lease out Ntan Obu land to cattle ‘rearers’ to rear their cattle there”.

He called on the cattle raisers to vacate the land in dispute, “so I am appealing to the cattle rearers, we don’t want cattle rearers being there, but you must recognise the overlords and not that of the neighbouring community,” he said.

Mr. Asuquo, however, said that the attack was not done by the cattle raisers; according to him, the indigenes of Ikpanya were the people who attacked the indigenes from Ntan Obu.

“We are yet to ascertain the number because the people they killed, they beheaded and then threw the corpses into the river, the village (Ntan Obu) head was killed and beheaded,” he said.

“We could recognise his body from the attire he wore the day before the attack. The name of the village head is Etinyin Mfon Asanye”.

“People managed to escape; some jumped through the swamp and jumped into the river. It happened in the wee hours of the morning of Wednesday last week,” Mr. Asuquo said.

He narrated that in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, indigenes from Ikpanya, the Akwa Ibom side, got to the disputed land, set loose all the boats in order to stop people from escaping and started attacking the people.

“There was complete destruction of the place, the only two building that are standing are two churches but the churches were looted, the musical instruments were all carted away”.

“Some of the displaced persons are in Asan Eniong and nearby villages,’’ he said,

Mr. Asuquo appealed to government to send security men to the area.

“We are appealing to government to send soldiers and mobile policemen to the area,” he said.

“We are appealing that they should use the church building and few of the buildings that were not completely destroyed for the displaced people, while we try to see what we can do to appease them,’’ he plead .

According to Mr. Asuquo, “The unit commander or the leader of the troop is on ground there and he is doing his best. But before then, after the first incident we had a few number of policemen who were there, out of the nine who were there, four are still missing up till now”.

He suspected that the missing police men have been killed and beheaded, “we are suspecting that some were dragged to the swamp, we saw some police uniform at the swamp with blood stains,’’ he said.

Mr, Asuquo called on the Federal Government to act on the June 24, 2005, Supreme Court of judgment, the ruling had demarcated the boundary between Cross River and Akwa Ibom States.

“This is to ensure that people from the other side keep to their side and if they are coming here they will come as tenants and they will be welcome and not as invaders,” he said.

Asakara Ekanem Umo, the Paramount ruler of Odukpani Local Government Area also confirmed the incident.

According to him, “The last incursion was so large in destruction. The fight had left the community completely destroyed.

“Children and women were not spared and in the process they killed four mobile police men who were stationed for security assistance to the people over there”.

Mr. Umo called for provision of relief materials to the affected victims, urging the government to take measures to prevent further occurrence of the mayhem.

Source
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by ektbear: 5:14pm On May 29, 2012
lmao.

Your interest in communal violence in Nigeria is commendable, ndu_chucks.

However, why are you nowhere to be found around when such threads are made about events in the north?

1 Like

Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by signified: 5:15pm On May 29, 2012
What is going on, Nigeria what is going on!! should we just ignore these killings until is our turn?? This is out of hand.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by nduchucks: 5:20pm On May 29, 2012
ekt_bear: lmao.

Your interest in communal violence in Nigeria is commendable, ndu_chucks.

However, why are you nowhere to be found around when such threads are made about events in the north?

This is not a laughing matter or that of bigotry. This is a sad event that should not be mixed with the celebration of bigotry or tribalism.

May the souls of the dead RIP. May God have mercy on ekt_bear. Amu.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Nchara: 5:24pm On May 29, 2012
Fourty persons have died in a communal clash between Ntan Obu-Ukpe in Odukpani Local Government Area of Cross River State and Ikpanya Community in Ibiono Ibom Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.

Also, 40 persons, including women, mobile policemen and children have been reported missing as a result of the clash.

The Chairman of Odukpani Council, Stephen Asuquo, confirmed that they clashing communities recorded a number of casualties.

However, Hogan Bassey, spokesman of the Cross River State Command of the Nigeria Police, who also confirmed that casualties were recorded, said he could not give the exact number of the deceased.

“We cannot give the casualty figures for now because we just discovered another person found dead in the area,” Mr. Bassey said.

The Odukpani Council Chairman, Mr. Asuquo said that even properties are being brought down in the feud. “There is no house standing there, the entire village has been destroyed and burnt down,” he said.

Narrating the details of the clash, he said, “I can say it is as a result of the struggle by people from Ikpanya for the land that belongs to the Ntan Obu-Ukpe and Ikpanya is in Ibiono Local Government Council of Akwa Ibom State, while Ntan Obu is in Odukpani Local Government Area of Cross River State”.

“Something akin to this took place a year ago and the deputy governors of the two states met and agreed that everything should return to status quo ante that was the position before the conflict”.

Mr. Asuquo said that “A Supreme Court judgment has ruled that the land belongs to Odukpani and the people of Odukpani are Cross River indigenes and the people from Ikpanya have tried to lease out Ntan Obu land to[b] cattle ‘rearers’ to rear their cattle there”.[/b]

He called on the cattle raisers to vacate the land in dispute, “so I am appealing to the cattle rearers, we don’t want cattle rearers being there, but you must recognise the overlords and not that of the neighbouring community,” he said.

Mr. Asuquo, however, said that the attack was not done by the cattle raisers; according to him, the indigenes of Ikpanya were the people who attacked the indigenes from Ntan Obu.

“We are yet to ascertain the number because the people they killed, they beheaded and then threw the corpses into the river, the village (Ntan Obu) head was killed and beheaded,” he said.

“We could recognise his body from the attire he wore the day before the attack. The name of the village head is Etinyin Mfon Asanye”.

“People managed to escape; some jumped through the swamp and jumped into the river. It happened in the wee hours of the morning of Wednesday last week,” Mr. Asuquo said.

He narrated that in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, indigenes from Ikpanya, the Akwa Ibom side, got to the disputed land, set loose all the boats in order to stop people from escaping and started attacking the people.

“There was complete destruction of the place, the only two building that are standing are two churches but the churches were looted, the musical instruments were all carted away”.

“Some of the displaced persons are in Asan Eniong and nearby villages,’’ he said,

Mr. Asuquo appealed to government to send security men to the area.

“We are appealing to government to send soldiers and mobile policemen to the area,” he said.

“We are appealing that they should use the church building and few of the buildings that were not completely destroyed for the displaced people, while we try to see what we can do to appease them,’’ he plead .

According to Mr. Asuquo, “The unit commander or the leader of the troop is on ground there and he is doing his best. But before then, after the first incident we had a few number of policemen who were there, out of the nine who were there, four are still missing up till now”.

He suspected that the missing police men have been killed and beheaded, “we are suspecting that some were dragged to the swamp, we saw some police uniform at the swamp with blood stains,’’ he said.

Mr, Asuquo called on the Federal Government to act on the June 24, 2005, Supreme Court of judgment, the ruling had demarcated the boundary between Cross River and Akwa Ibom States.

“This is to ensure that people from the other side keep to their side and if they are coming here they will come as tenants and they will be welcome and not as invaders,” he said.

Asakara Ekanem Umo, the Paramount ruler of Odukpani Local Government Area also confirmed the incident.

According to him, “The last incursion was so large in destruction. The fight had left the community completely destroyed.

“Children and women were not spared and in the process they killed four mobile police men who were stationed for security assistance to the people over there”.

Mr. Umo called for provision of relief materials to the affected victims, urging the government to take measures to prevent further occurrence of the mayhem.

Nduchuks

Any kind of killing is condemnable by all means; so I condemn this killing news you have ''GRACIOUSLY'' broken. But let me ask you: this people are fighting over land and killing themselves, thus neither of them is innocent. Why are your northern Boko Haram people killing innocent non-northerners who are not taking their land? Care to explain to us?

Note that this killing has to do with Fulani, cattle rearers. Your brothers are trying hard to divide the south.

3 Likes

Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by signified: 5:28pm On May 29, 2012
ndu_chucks:

This is not a laughing matter or that of bigotry. This is a sad event that should not be mixed with the celebration of bigotry or tribalism.

May the souls of the dead RIP. May God have mercy on ekt_bear. Amu.

Thank you my brother, you have a heart.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 29, 2012
this blood thirsty camel ridin almajiri at it again grin grin grin grin
ooooooh!!!! na for south shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
things like this de hapun there too? embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry cry

we better realize that useless governments should be help responsible for killings and not any ethnic group cos we are all guilty.

may their souls rest in perfect peace and may it never hapun again!!
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by nduchucks: 5:44pm On May 29, 2012
Nchara:

Nduchuks

Any kind of killing is condemnable by all means; so I condemn this killing news you have ''GRACIOUSLY'' broken. But let me ask you: this people are fighting over land and killing themselves, thus neither of them is innocent. Why are your northern Boko Haram people killing innocent non-northerners who are not taking their land? Care to explain to us?

Note that this killing has to do with Fulani, cattle rearers. Your brothers are trying hard to divide the south.

I cannot speak for Boko Haram, some say they are fighting for Justice, Bill clinton said that BH activities are fueled by inequality caused by extreme poverty in the North. I say that any activity, whether by government operatives or terrorists which results to the killing of innocent Nigerians should be condemned by all Nigerians, period.

I don't know enough about the tragedy mentioned in this thread to associate it with cattle rearers. Once again, RIP to the dead.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by SamIkenna: 5:45pm On May 29, 2012
So sad. The price you pay for growing up in Nigeria is - tearless eye. When I was much younger I usually found myself tearing for things less horrific things than the story above, but these days the only I do is to shake my head no matter how bad the story is.

People, what happened to us?
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 29, 2012
Nigerians and communal clashes smh..

Nigeria is another Somalia waiting to happen..

Can we all get along, please??

Is dialogue, and communal meetings foreign to Nigerian tribes?? sad

1 Like

Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 29, 2012
Where were all these violent tribes when the white men were colonizing our arses??

We just love to behead people who look like us - but run tail between the legs when we see foreign people, huh??

These people are COWARDS!
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Nchara: 5:50pm On May 29, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I cannot speak for Boko Haram, some say they are fighting for Justice, Bill clinton said that BH activities are fueled by inequality caused by extreme poverty in the North. I say that any activity, whether by government operatives or terrorists which results to the killing of innocent Nigerians should be condemned by all Nigerians, period.

I don't know enough about the tragedy mentioned in this thread to associate it with cattle rearers
. Once again, RIP to the dead.

Extreme poverty caused by innocent, ordinary non-northerners living in the North, right?

Nigerian cattle rearers are Fulani, no? Did you not read the post you GLEEFULLY posted?
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by SamIkenna: 5:53pm On May 29, 2012
shymmex: Where were all these violent tribes when the white men were colonizing our arses??

We just love to behead people who look like us - but run tail between the legs when we see foreign people, huh??

These people are COWARDS!

You can say that again bro. I'm sick of black man having a field day and riding shotgun on his fellow black man. No matter what the issue is, why would anyone sneak up on a sleeping man? Why would they behead defenceless people? Gosh! I need to throw up.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 29, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:
You can say that again bro. I'm sick of black man having a field day and riding shotgun on his fellow black man. No matter what the issue is, why would anyone sneak up on a sleeping man? Why would they behead defenceless people? Gosh! I need to throw up.

We act like a race of cowards...

I just read somewhere now that 25 black people were killed in Chicago in one night..

I guess it's a universal thing with black people - we like to kill people who look like us..
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by SamIkenna: 6:00pm On May 29, 2012
Nchara:

Extreme poverty caused by innocent, ordinary non-northerners living in the North, right?

Nigerian cattle rearers are Fulani, no? Did you not read the post you GLEEFULLY posted?

Nwanne, It doesnt matter if _chuks' intention was political, the point is we killed our own and that is despicable. Fulani did not kill anybody here, brothers killed brothers and I'm outraged. Crossriver and AK people are the best neighbors anyone can have - very peaceful, industrious, and most importantly, very dedicated to justice. How come this happened? what went wrong?

1 Like

Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by nduchucks: 6:00pm On May 29, 2012
Nchara:

Nchara, nwanne, please do not try to turn this tragic event into a tribal internet war. The article states clearly that "Mr. Asuquo, however, said that the attack was not done by the cattle raisers; according to him, the indigenes of Ikpanya were the people who attacked the indigenes from Ntan Obu. "

Feel free to open another thread if you feel like engaging me in a debate and I'll be glad to belittle you there. Do not try to derail this one.

@Sam_Ikenna, nwanne m, may God bless you richly.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Solarinnergy: 6:04pm On May 29, 2012
God hlp us
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by SamIkenna: 6:07pm On May 29, 2012
shymmex:

We act like a race of cowards...

I just read somewhere now that 25 black people were killed in Chicago in one night..

I guess it's a universal thing with black people - we like to kill people who look like us..

Chicago, especially south side, is the murder capital of black people. You dont want to be there, I tell ya. I drove to south side one day and almost broke down after seeing so many strong black men aimlessly hanging on the streets. In fact one needs not a brain to decode that those men were preying on both old and little girls that have shunned any kind of parental up-bringing. It was a rude cultural shock for me.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Nchara: 6:08pm On May 29, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Nchara, nwanne, please do not try to turn this tragic event into a tribal internet war. The article states clearly that "Mr. Asuquo, however, said that the attack was not done by the cattle raisers; according to him, the indigenes of Ikpanya were the people who attacked the indigenes from Ntan Obu. "

Feel free to open another thread if you feel like engaging me in a debate and I'll be glad to belittle you there. Do not try to derail this one.

@Sam_Ikenna, nwanne m, may God bless you richly.

Bull. Okay. I agree they kill themselves over land just like Umuleri and Aguleri, Ife and Modakeke, Tiv and Jukun, Fulani and Hausa etc have killed themselves over land in the past
But why are Boko Haram (northern muslims) killing others and not themselves?
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by nduchucks: 6:09pm On May 29, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:

Nwanne, It doesnt matter if _chuks' . .....

err, nwanne m, why can't you get a modern laptop or PC that will not arbitrarily truncate text preceded by an underscore, must you remain in the dark ages? who da heck is _chuks? abi there is a latent message in your write-up ni? smiley

1 Like

Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Nchara: 6:12pm On May 29, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:

Nwanne, It doesnt matter if _chuks' intention was political, the point is we killed our own and that is despicable. Fulani did not kill anybody here, brothers killed brothers and I'm outraged. Crossriver and AK people are the best neighbors anyone can have - very peaceful, industrious, and most importantly, very dedicated to justice. How come this happened? what went wrong?

The bolded part made me laff. Means you do not really know AK people. Those guys fight over land with virtually all their neighbours. They have fought with Ngwas (Abia), Umuahians (Abia), Ogonis (Rivers) and Akpabuyos (Cross River). What is just and peaceful about fighting your neighbors all over the damn place?
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 29, 2012
The only safe haven in Nigeria still remains the South west.See how calabar people dey slaughter themselves like rats.Pathetic I tell ya. angry
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by SamIkenna: 6:22pm On May 29, 2012
ndu_chucks:

err, nwanne m, why can't you get a modern laptop or PC that will not arbitrarily truncate text preceded by an underscore, must you remain in the dark ages? who da heck is _chuks? abi there is a latent message in your write-up ni? smiley

Lol! I think you have so much interest in pulling my legs a lot. Anyways, if you knew what I do for a living you would delete your post sharp-sharp.

But on the bright side, how're doing? its been a longtime bro.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Nchara: 6:25pm On May 29, 2012
~Bluetooth:

The only safe haven in Nigeria still remains the South west.See how calabar people dey slaughter themselves like rats.Pathetic I tell ya. angry

Just shut up, you little i.d.i.ot. Those motor park touts that kill themselves everyday nko? What about awon gbomogbomo and human rituals that strut the SW?
What about the dreaded armed robbers that have taken over the entire SW? Shey Ife and Modakeke don do their own finish?

2 Likes

Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by SamIkenna: 6:26pm On May 29, 2012
Nchara:

The bolded part made me laff. Means you do not really know AK people. Those guys fight over land with virtually all their neighbours. They have fought with Ngwas (Abia), Umuahians (Abia), Ogonis (Rivers) and Akpabuyos (Cross River). What is just and peaceful about fighting your neighbors all over the damn place?

Very well then, lets settle their borders for them. Thats where the problem lies and we cant keep shying away from it.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by 1025: 6:30pm On May 29, 2012
i don't see anything wrong in beheading a village head. my problem is the villagers. i wish these killers will extend their charitable hands of hope to the pdp chieftains all over the country.
i want pdp who are the architects of these problems to be rewarded with painful deaths as they wish us.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by Nchara: 6:31pm On May 29, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:

Very well then, lets settle their borders for them. Thats where the problem lies and we cant keep shying away from it.

AK people are unappeasable. I understand my own maternal community fought them to a stand still in the 80s. To them, land is everything.
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by dedeman: 6:33pm On May 29, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I don't know enough about the tragedy mentioned in this thread to associate it with cattle rearers. Once again, RIP to the dead.
u cannot speak 4 BKH bt u care to quote bill clinton. Wat do u tink d are fightin 4 nd hw are we sure u're nt a memba; fool
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by dedeman: 6:39pm On May 29, 2012
1025: i don't see anything wrong in beheading a village head. my problem is the villagers. i wish these killers will extend their charitable hands of hope to the pdp chieftains all over the country.
i want pdp who are the architects of these problems to be rewarded with painful deaths as they wish us.
may b de wil start from u first, cos am sure dere are pple u might hv caused pain, consiously or unconsiously unknown
Re: 40 Killed, Village Head Beheaded In Cross River Communal Clash by member479760: 6:41pm On May 29, 2012
no bi same people dem bi? weting den dey fight for?

Mushin Olosha and Bolade Oshodi go soon start their own fight. path to development #1!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Katsina Has Highest Rate Of Teenage Pregnancy — NPC / Dangote To Construct Refinery And Petrochemical Complex In Ogun And Ondo / How Illicit Weapons Fuel Nigeria’s Insecurity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.