Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,269 members, 7,807,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

So They Never Really Loved MKO - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So They Never Really Loved MKO (17624 Views)

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / MKO Abiola: How He Died - Dr Ore Falomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

So They Never Really Loved MKO by PapaBrowne(m): 7:59pm On May 29, 2012
Most South Westerners, young and old likewise are criticizing the renaming of UNILAG. I personally don't like the change in name. First because MAU just doesn't sound right. Secondly, I really don't know why but it just isn't cool.
However, I'm surprised at the reaction of South Westerners especially because they made everyone believe MKO was a hero.

Imagine if University of Nigeria Nnsukka were renamed after OJUKWU, I don't think it would generate all the negativity.

7 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by werepeLeri: 8:18pm On May 29, 2012
why doesnt it sound right? Please explain.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 8:32pm On May 29, 2012
PapaBrowne: Most South Westerners, young and old likewise are criticizing the renaming of UNILAG. I personally don't like the change in name. First because MAU just doesn't sound right. Secondly, I really don't know why but it just isn't cool.
However, I'm surprised at the reaction of South Westerners especially because they made everyone believe MKO was their hero.

Imagine if University of Nigeria Nnsukka were renamed after OJUKWU, I don't think it would generate all the negativity.

Whether you love him unconditionally as some do or feel exercised by the various roles he played during his life, it can only be for reasons of expediency that you tag Abiola, the one-time chairman of NPN (forerunner of PDP) and acclaimed winner of the freest elections held in Nigeria to date, as some kind of regional leader.
I say this because little else could possibly account for your feigned indignation...

University of Nigeria Alumni Association (UNAA) has warned the Federal Government over its plan to rename their Alma mater after the late Biafra warlord, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegu Ojukwu. The association suggested the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) as a more befitting institution to be named after Ojukwu. Ojukwu is a graduate of NDA.

Late Nigerian Nationalist Dr Nnamdi Azikwe rejected calls for UNN to be named after him when he was alive, insisting UNN should retain its name. University of Jos Alumni association Lagos Plateau State branch also called sent an open letter to President Jonathan, stating the association does not approve of proposals in the Presidency to rename UNIJOS after former Nigerian President General Yakubu Gowon.
Source
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by tpia5: 8:34pm On May 29, 2012
PapaBrowne:

Why dont you use the search function before blabbing endlessly here?

2 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Jeel: 8:37pm On May 29, 2012
Lol
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by wesley80(m): 8:37pm On May 29, 2012
If I tell you don't tell anoda person o you hear? Just heard this is all OBJ's handwork, you know he never really liked MKO and has been waiting to prove he's a greater hero than MKO mehnn see opportunity. But come to think of it, could it have been any worse if they'd renamed UNILAG after OBJ? This is just as bad as BAD can get, I mean embarrasingly bad! This is no way to treat a supposed hero I tell u.

2 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Gbawe: 8:44pm On May 29, 2012
eGuerrilla:

Whether you love him unconditionally as some do or feel exercised by the various roles he played during his life, it can only be for reasons of expediency that you tag Abiola, the one-time chairman of NPN (forerunner of PDP) and acclaimed winner of the freest elections held in Nigeria to date, as some kind of regional leader.
I say this because little else could possibly account for your feigned indignation...

Source

Clever dude. You discern the "feigned indignation" of this silly "spin and speller" too well. A thoroughly decietful chap.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by wesley80(m): 8:50pm On May 29, 2012
eGuerrilla:

Source

Renaming UNN would always be a debateable issue in the SE esp when one considers the fact that the great Zik of Africa requested that the institution not be renamed after him in other to retain its uniqueness and foster unity and his appeal was heeded even after death. That said, its difficult to imagine students protesting against renaming UNN after Ojukwu in the scale we've seen in Lagos and the widespread condemnation that has trailed the decision coming from Igbo leaders, this is just embarrassing. All of a sudden it seems all that matters is prestige and nothing else! SMH
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by CyberG: 9:57pm On May 29, 2012
I hope this useless move which is only purely political is turned down and litigated in court. I think MKO deserves a real big time immortalization for his sacrifice but not UNILAG. Lagos is such a brand name that people who have never even been to Africa or Lagos have heard good thing about it. They will always ask if you are from Lagos soon as they know you are Nigerian. UNILAG is one of the icons and brands recognized in foreign countries and what is the need to destroy the 50 year reputation by wiping out the brand?? I hope Jonseathan is thoroughly embarrassed in court and this name change is resisted now And in the future. If the fool wants to do anything for Nigeria, let him build something first and then rename it rather than reap where he did not sow!

9 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by wesley80(m): 10:03pm On May 29, 2012
^^ Haba Mallam, why do you always sound like someone with a Phd in lunacy?

6 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by PapaBrowne(m): 11:14pm On May 29, 2012
eGuerrilla:

Source

No. He wasn't a regional leader in the same way Lagos is not a regional University. He was a national leader and I recognize that squarely in the same way I recognize the fact that Lagos is a Federal University. Now, it is mainly people of South Western Extraction that have taken it upon themselves to criticize the act without the slightest form of regard for MKO. This is outright rejection of someone who we are all supposed to uphold as a hero of democracy.
Seriously, MKO died in vain and has now been rejected by those that are supposed to have held him dearly.

2 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by emiye(m): 11:21pm On May 29, 2012
@OP, can you please STFU embarassed

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by PapaBrowne(m): 11:27pm On May 29, 2012
CyberG: I hope this useless move which is only purely political is turned down and litigated in court. I think MKO deserves a real big time immortalization for his sacrifice but not UNILAG. Lagos is such a brand name that people who have never even been to Africa or Lagos have heard good thing about it. They will always ask if you are from Lagos soon as they know you are Nigerian. UNILAG is one of the icons and brands recognized in foreign countries and what is the need to destroy the 50 year reputation by wiping out the brand?? I hope Jonseathan is thoroughly embarrassed in court and this name change is resisted now And in the future. If the fool wants to do anything for Nigeria, let him build something first and then rename it rather than reap where he did not sow! 

What U've written is called double speak. You said Lagos is such a great brand name. Fine. You said MKO deserves a big time honour. Fine. Now, isn't it cool to associate such a hero as MKO with such a great brand like Lagos. You didn't make any noise when that polytechnic in Ogun was named after MKO. In your opinion that was OK. But here you think UNILAG is too big for him.
It's really sad how a man who spent years in jail and was eventually killed for our democracy would be disdained in such a manner over the naming of a University.

If Murtala Mohammed who barely did anything for Nigeria was named after our Major International Airport, why would any one reject MKO for just a University. Its sad and I'm amazed at the fact that the rejection is coming from the state in which he lived almost all his life. Very sad rejection.

4 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 11:47pm On May 29, 2012
PapaBrowne:

No. He wasn't a regional leader in the same way Lagos is not a regional University. He was a national leader and I recognize that squarely in the same way I recognize the fact that Lagos is a Federal University. Now, it is mainly people of South Western Extraction that have taken it upon themselves to criticize the act without the slightest form of regard for MKO. This is outright rejection of someone who we are all supposed to uphold as a hero of democracy.
Seriously, MKO died in vain and has now been rejected by those that are supposed to have held him dearly.

You are being too smart by half, arguing he was a National leader on the one hand while picking a bone of contention with the voices of opposition (reason) from a particular region on the other. Since your line of reasoning suggests it is only people of South Western Extraction who take umbrage at the immortalization of a National icon, why loose sleep over such inconsequential distractions? . I mean, your personal love for this National leader transcends such fickle concerns. No?

Has it even occurred to you that those who have railed against this ill-conceived decision are drawn from all sections of society, and across much touted ethnic/religious fault-lines?

3 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 11:59pm On May 29, 2012
I am enjoying this thread, love the way Papabrown has exposed himself just like Beaf to be a bigot. grin grin grin

Oya continue na !!! smiley
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by PapaBrowne(m): 12:06am On May 30, 2012
eGuerrilla:

You are being too smart by half, arguing he was a National leader on the one hand while picking a bone of contention with the voices of opposition (reason) from a particular region on the other. Since your line of reasoning suggests it is only people of South Western Extraction who take umbrage at the immortalization of a National icon, why loose sleep over such inconsequential distractions? . I mean, your personal love for this National leader transcends such fickle concerns. No?

Has it even occurred to you that those who have railed against this ill-conceived decision are drawn from all sections of society, and across much touted ethnic/religious fault-lines?
No sleep lost. If you read, I personally don't like the name change. However, the outrage is a slap on the face of an Icon. Imagine South African blacks protesting the naming of a University after Mandela. There are not many people that sacrificed for democracy the way MKO did.
The sad part is nobody has yet given a concrete reason why the university should NOT be named after MKO. Is there any other Iconic piece in Lagos that should have been named after him. Somebody said National Stadium. My thoughts? What an Insult. That should be given to someone like Yekini or Kanu or the like. Someone said National Theather. Leave that for Soyinka. For all I care,for someone in the calibre of Abiola, the name Lagos should be changed to MKO. cool cool

It has been recorded in the annals of History that on the day 29 May 2012, a man whose freedom and life was taken from him because he stood to protect the dignity of his people has been rejected not by his neighbours, but the very household in which he gave his all for.

3 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by PapaBrowne(m): 12:09am On May 30, 2012
alj harem: I am enjoying this thread, love the way Papabrown has exposed himself just like Beaf to be a bigot. grin grin grin

alj harem: I am enjoying this thread, love the way Papabrown has exposed himself just like Beaf to be a bigot. grin grin grin

How am I a Bigot na?? Alhaji? Mai haka?
Are you not embarrassed at the rejection? If MKO was your friend or relative won't you cringe??
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 12:16am On May 30, 2012
PapaBrowne:

How am I a Bigot na?? Alhaji? Mai haka?
Are you not embarrassed at the rejection? If MKO was your friend or relative won't you cringe??

Embarrassed ? I am super proud of them.

I guess you do not know the reason for the reject of the name changing.

1. Lagos according to Nairaland is NOT I repeat NOT yorubaland, then if so is it yorubas rejecting it or Lagosian ?

Some of you don't know want you want but we yorubas would keep hoping and praying that you wake up that tribalism is for primitive minds

2. You cannot just change the university name without TALKING TO THE SCHOOL AUTHORITIES, That is veto power right there and it is wrong in a democratic ruling.

Abi why is Nigeria style of democracy always different ? Is it the people or the government hmmm well the answer is here
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 12:22am On May 30, 2012
@PapaBrowne, in that case, quit crying more than those mired in regionalism, it does not sit well with your Nationalist outlook tongue
You are unquestionably driven by a higher cause and should therefore take the unchecked criticism which moved you to starting this thread on the chin grin.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by PapaBrowne(m): 12:40am On May 30, 2012
alj harem:

Embarrassed ? I am super proud of them.

I guess you do not know the reason for the reject of the name changing.

1. Lagos according to Nairaland is NOT I repeat NOT yorubaland, then if so is it yorubas rejecting it or Lagosian ?

Some of you don't know want you want but we yorubas would keep hoping and praying that you wake up that tribalism is for primitive minds

2. You(FG) cannot just change the university name without TALKING TO THE SCHOOL AUTHORITIES, That is veto power right there and it is wrong in a democratic ruling.

Abi why is Nigeria style of democracy always different ? Is it the people or the government hmmm well the answer is here

He who pays the piper dictates the tune. Since when did UNILAG authorities start having such powers? The University is funded by the FG remember?

eGuerrilla: @PapaBrowne, in that case, quit crying more than those mired in regionalism, it does not sit well with your Nationalist outlook tongue
You are unquestionably driven by a higher cause and should therefore take the unchecked criticism which moved you to starting this thread on the chin grin.

I hear.It's not my fault. I just only feel bad for the man(MKO) joor!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by jason123: 12:48am On May 30, 2012
Ndigbo, I apologise for using you as an example.

Papabrowne, rather I think you exposed your hypocrisy.

A few months ago, the University of Nigeria, Nnsuka was about to be renamed after Ojukwu or Nnamdi (not sure which it was). The Igbo kicked against it, no one said the Igbo hates them. Now the Yorubas are doing the same and you brand them hypocrites??

Mister, search your heart well and find out what is biting you.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 12:59am On May 30, 2012
PapaBrowne:

He who pays the piper dictates the tune. Since when did UNILAG authorities start having such powers? The University is funded by the FG remember?

So because the FG funds unilag, the executive can just change it as he/she likes ? eh grin grin grin

Na wa o grin grin
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Musiwa49: 1:01am On May 30, 2012
i think it is against Jonathan Goodluck. It is just because they hate Jonathan Goodluck..

If I was the president , and I named the university of lagos after MKO abiola. Nobody will complain. But Jonathan Goodluck. They dont like him. So even if he cough. They will oppose him. Even if he touch anything, they will oppose it. if I said the other time, Jonathan Goodluck is not electable in 2/3 of the state in Nigeria.

They just dont like Jonathan Goodluck... period. It as nothing to do with M K O Abiola. It is just that I think they hate Jonathan Goodluck....

I think is because Jonathan Goodluck is not sincere and he as become a maradona in Nigeria . And nigerian dont like that. They hate been played.

And the honest truth is. Abiola was a national figure , and not a regional figure than Jonathan Goodluck have reduce him too.

We have an issue of a satellite pictures and because of hate they refuse to solve it. How do you expect Yoruba people to be happy with Jonathan Goodluck.

His party is a bias party. Which is making Yoruba people suffer for nothing. how do you expect them to support a person who bring them injustice.

Alot of people are looking at the satellite pictures. And what do they see, they see a president who is not sincere with them.

I dont think I know any southerner who does not hate Jonathan Goodluck at this point. Basically they see him siding up with the north. Who will love sure a man.

It is hard , be human.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 1:09am On May 30, 2012
I am really waiting for Papabrown to give his excuse this time around.

Again being a federal institute, does the Executive have the right to spontanouly make a change in the institute without the parliamentary support or the institutional authority support.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by jason123: 1:11am On May 30, 2012
alj harem: I am really waiting for Papabrown to give his excuse this time around.

Again being a federal institute, does the Executive have the right to spontanouly make a change in the institute without the parliamentary support or the institutional authority support.

I also dey wait for am! Why can't we ever be objective in Nigeria?! undecided
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 1:12am On May 30, 2012
jason123:

I also dey wait for am! Why can't we ever be objective in Nigeria?! undecided

My brother, that is Nigeria for you. Tribalism has indeed blinded people. cry cry cry cry
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by papatosibe: 1:15am On May 30, 2012
alj harem: I am really waiting for Papabrown to give his excuse this time around.

How much do the school authority contribute to the running of the school?

Will you consult me when you decide to name your child?
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by papatosibe: 1:18am On May 30, 2012
alj harem:

So because the FG funds unilag, the executive can just change it as he/she likes ? eh grin grin grin

Na wa o grin grin

Absolutely. Just as how they changed University of Lagos medical School to College of Medicine of the University of Lagos in 1967

On the 10th of March 1967, the Federal Military Government of Nigeria issued a Decree (No. 3 1967) reconstituting the University of Lagos and establishing within it a corporate body by the College of Medicine of the University of Lagos. The decree came into force on the 1st of April 1967 and the University of Lagos Medical School was re-designated "College of Medicine of the University of Lagos"
http://www.cmul.edu.ng/pages.php?page_id=3
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 1:41am On May 30, 2012
papatosibe:

Absolutely. Just as how they changed University of Lagos medical School to College of Medicine of the University of Lagos in 1967

This is not 1967, and we are no longer under military rule. This is 2012, and it is expected that we have matured since 1967. Renaming of schools that belong to the Nation need to be a National decision, not decisions based on the whims of a few.

The so-called National funding these schools get comes from the pockets of Nigerians, not the pockets of those in power.

3 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by ektbear: 1:46am On May 30, 2012

It is only today that you knew this?

You should have realized this months ago.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 2:03am On May 30, 2012
papatosibe:

How much do the school authority contribute to the running of the school?

Will you consult me when you decide to name your child?

My brother that is a wrong analogy there, the FG does not have a right to make "knee jerk reactions" on federal units like that.

We have governing bodies that have worked and served such institute and need to be considered before changing it just like that.

A better analogy would be

if you are the owner of a company and you have board of directors (senate and co), would you change the company name just like that or would you either talk to the board of directors or at least reach a consensus with the workers (VC and co) ?

Lets be here, it is wrong.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 2:04am On May 30, 2012
papatosibe:

That is a totally different case, the changing of schools within the university is totally different from changing the trademark of the university which in this case it is the name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

ACN Lawmakers Punish Bamidele For Nursing Governorship Ambition / Arase Decorates Newly Promoted Police Officers / Water Scarcity Hits Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.