Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,490 members, 7,808,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

"We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana (38315 Views)

Lilo Ewe Ati Egbo Fun Iwosan, Itusile Ati Aseyori / Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire / He refused to Prostrate as Yoruba culture demands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

"We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 12:20am On May 30, 2012
Yewe2011

I am Ewe and my father hails from the Volta Region (predominantly Ewe) in Ghana.

Hopefully I can provide a little clarity for you all.

It needs to be understood that all those people that inhabit the area from Southwestern Nigeria all the way to Southeastern Ghana ARE ALL ONE PEOPLE. Those of us in Nigeria, Benin, Togo and Ghana are all related peoples. This is why you don't see much conflict in this coastal area of West Africa. If we were selfish we could create a super country spanning that coastal region and we would be prosperous and our population will number 40-50 million. But that's for another discussion.

Ewes were apart of the Oyo Empire until we fled due to many factors (collapse of oyo, fulani invasion, in-fighting, etc.)

read the book "Ewe" by E Ofori Akyea 1998

http://www.amazon.com/Heritage-Library-African-Peoples-Africa/dp/0823919803/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338331780&sr=8-1

In it he talks about our culture, symbolisms, and history. The book also details how we borrowed/adopted certain aspectsof Yoruba governmental systems. We have two types of leadership amongst us fia (awoamefia) which means emperor in our language and togbe which means chief.

https://www.nairaland.com/890572/makoko-not-repeat-not%2Ca-yoruba/9#10956810

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 12:21am On May 30, 2012
^^I didn't create this thread to cause an e-fight.. I'm just trying to learn new things, and gain knowledge..

I love African history. cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Goldieluks: 12:22am On May 30, 2012
Elaborate please.... cheesy

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Afam4eva(m): 12:24am On May 30, 2012
This thread will reach 20 pages.

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 12:25am On May 30, 2012
Goldieluks: Elaborate please.... cheesy

That was why I created the thread for the guy to elaborate on his claims.. I know about the Ga people - but the ewe claim is a new thing to me.

2 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Goldieluks: 12:30am On May 30, 2012
shymmex:

That was why I created the thread for the guy to elaborate on his claims.. I know about the Ga people - but the ewe claim is a new thing to me.

oh... ok.

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 12:31am On May 30, 2012
Goldieluks:
oh... ok.

I need a massage from you, queen. wink cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Goldieluks: 12:32am On May 30, 2012
shymmex:

I need a massage from you, queen. wink cheesy cheesy cheesy

focus on topic... tongue

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 12:33am On May 30, 2012
Goldieluks:
focus on topic... tongue

Hmmmmmm

Meet me here ------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>> grin grin grin
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 12:33am On May 30, 2012
Back to the topic at hand. cool

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 12:34am On May 30, 2012
Fabulous thread.

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by PhysicsQED(m): 12:36am On May 30, 2012
Elaborate nau. . .

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by jason123: 12:37am On May 30, 2012
Interesting!

I once read somewhere that during the Berlin convention in late 1800's. The Yorubas or the Anago people as known back then, were divided into three equal halves. A third in Nigeria, a Third in Benin rep and the last third in Togo.

Can someone verify this?

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by jason123: 12:42am On May 30, 2012
I saw this in this book called "The village woman in Ghana"

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7Z1egGnT3u0C&pg=PA15&dq=ewe+people&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WF7FT_63Iq6Z0QWX4vnlBQ&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=ewe%20people&f=false

Take a look at page 15.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 12:43am On May 30, 2012
jason123: I saw this in this book called "The village woman in Ghana"

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7Z1egGnT3u0C&pg=PA15&dq=ewe+people&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WF7FT_63Iq6Z0QWX4vnlBQ&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=ewe%20people&f=false

Take a look at page 15.

Can you post excerpts from the book?

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by OneNaira6: 12:48am On May 30, 2012
Wasn't the yewe dude that was already busted as a Nigerian pretending to be Ghanaian during the argument between him and dede1? Anyway, in NL Brixtonye was a white man from Britian. In NL anybody can be anybody
SMH. The f2king website embarrass me all the time to other Africans. There's a Ghanaian on this site, a f2king ashante/ewe man, that insult Nigerians and una just gave him a gun and ammo to do so. mschewww.

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 12:51am On May 30, 2012
Ewe
Ewe, peoples living in southeastern Ghana, southern Benin, and the southern half of Togo who speak various dialects of Ewe, a language of the Kwa branch of the Niger-Congo family. Ewe unity is based on language and common traditions of origin: their original homeland is traced to Oyo, in western Nigeria, which was a major Yoruba kingdom.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/197552/Ewe

According to Professor D.E.K. Amenumey, the Ewe people originally came from Ketu, a Yoruba area in Benin, but were eventually forced to migrate eastward as a result of Yoruba expansion. However, another source claims that the original Ewe homeland is Oyo in western Nigeria and yet another source suggests that the Ewe originally migrated from Kotu or Amedzowe east of the Niger. It is believed that the Ewe migrated into Ghana in the fifteenth century.

http://blackethics.com/716/the-ewe-people/

^^The guy is not lying.

3 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 12:52am On May 30, 2012
One_Naira: Wasn't the yewe dude that was already busted as a Nigerian pretending to be Ghanaian during the argument between him and dede1? Anyway, in NL Brixtonye was a white man from Britian. In NL anybody can be anybody
SMH. The f2king website embarrass me all the time to other Africans. There's a Ghanaian on this site, a f2king ashante/ewe man, that insult Nigerians and una just gave him a gun and ammo to do so. mschewww.

STFU and take your jealousy somewhere else..

Don't derail the damn thread, your ignorant opinions don't count, inbred jealous goat.

5 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by dasparrow: 1:19am On May 30, 2012
@Post

Interesting! Quite a number of African ethnic groups are closely or distantly inter related one way or another but the tribalism and ethnocentrism that continues to plague us as a people will not allow us to put aside our petite differences and learn more about each other. Oh well!

4 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Yewe2011(m): 1:46am On May 30, 2012
One_Naira: Wasn't the yewe dude that was already busted as a Nigerian pretending to be Ghanaian during the argument between him and dede1? Anyway, in NL Brixtonye was a white man from Britian. In NL anybody can be anybody

nah

they accused of being Nigerian because I knew a lot about the different ethnic rivalries and regions.

I'm Ghanaian.

I grew up with and have a lot of Nigerian friends though.

2 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Yewe2011(m): 1:49am On May 30, 2012
Let me make it clear, TODAY we are own tribe/ethnic group but hundreds of years ago we did migrate from Yorubaland (Oyo) and we have borrowed some cultural elements.

2 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Yewe2011(m): 1:50am On May 30, 2012
The thread title might be misleading to some people

In my original post I said we are related but I see us all as one people

2 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by OneNaira6: 1:55am On May 30, 2012
Yewe2011:

nah

they accused of being Nigerian because I knew a lot about the different ethnic rivalries and regions.

I'm Ghanaian.

I grew up with and have a lot of Nigerian friends though.

Aha. Like I've mentioned so many times majority of my friends are Ghanaians from Ewe to Ashante to Akan to Fante, to Lolobi, to Ada to Bono etc and it is easy for me to tell a Nigerian from a Ghanaian.

On NL: I don't care anymore, I tried to make sense of it, couldn't understand reason it so I stopped caring. As long as it's not pretension of my ethnic group nor related ethnic groups, I do not give f2k.
Do you shikena!!!

2 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by OneNaira6: 1:56am On May 30, 2012
shymmex:

STFU and take your jealousy somewhere else..

Don't derail the damn thread, your ignorant opinions don't count, inbred jealous goat.

STFU 1diot. The slowpoke that calls himself shymmex that everyone have schooled is talking.

Move aside!!!

2 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by ekubear1: 1:57am On May 30, 2012
Not the first time I've heard this. Friend of mine is Ewe...claims that his people have some of connection/ancestry from Ile-Ife.

3 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Yewe2011(m): 1:57am On May 30, 2012
shymmex:

Yea I don't want to speak for Ga's but according to my mother it's taught in schools that Ga originate in Ile-Ife.

Ga people are predominant in Greater Accra Region which is their homeland. But I'm not sure they are the majority anymore as there are other Ghanaian groups who overtime have relocated in Accra (the capital and main commercial city)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by ekubear1: 1:59am On May 30, 2012
I wish that we had written records from that time. Really sucks that so much history from 1000AD onwards is basically forgotten, or reduced to myth/rumor/tales undecided

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 2:02am On May 30, 2012
One_Naira:

STFU 1diot. The slowpoke that calls himself shymmex that everyone have schooled is talking.

Move aside!!!

I don't want to derail my own thread - but you need to take your "whom" arse off my thread... You guys are inbred with jealousy, chest-beating and stalking... Can't you do your own shyte without stalking people??

About schooling me... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin... I don't have time for you uneducated, and jealous gorillas... If that's schooling in your igbotic mind - good luck to you. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Yewe2011(m): 2:02am On May 30, 2012
Lastly, it needs to be understand that most West Africans are closely related to each other than people outside of WA

We are all paternally or Y-DNA E1B1A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E1b1a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E1b1a#Distribution
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 2:03am On May 30, 2012
Yewe2011:
Yea I don't want to speak for Ga's but according to my mother it's taught in schools that Ga originate in Ile-Ife.

Ga people are predominant in Greater Accra Region which is their homeland. But I'm not sure they are the majority anymore as there are other Ghanaian groups who overtime have relocated in Accra (the capital and main commercial city)

How about the fante people?? I have a couple of fante, and ashanti friends.

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by aljharem(m): 2:11am On May 30, 2012
eku_bear: I wish that we had written records from that time. Really sucks that so much history from 1000AD onwards is basically forgotten, or reduced to myth/rumor/tales undecided
There are records but maybe not in written words but in songs and folk-tales.

I must commend the Ewe/Ga people to keeping the culture and the heritage real and passing it down to there children. It is really commendable by them.

With that said, it is quite unfortunate that the ones closer to home (Binis) are in denial. Maybe it has to do with the way Nigeria is who knows. Anyway goodluck to them.

4 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 2:12am On May 30, 2012
@Alhaji_harem

Post something, bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Brief History Of Nnewi / Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.