Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,462 members, 7,770,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:49 AM

Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know (60792 Views)

We Are Not Leaving Nigeria - Virgin Atlantic / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria / Traveling To Nigeria: Things To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 7:42pm On Jun 16, 2012
23a.2)
em, a little deviation again just in case someone that requires a little bit more rigour on the brain and its comprehension ability comes along.

The brain is justifiably 'lazy' because at every point in time it receives thousands or millions of data which it could process from all your senses, eyes, skin, tongue, ears, etc. Him no wan get hypertension due to data overload that's why it evolved into ignoring and compartmentalizing information. So that una no go use work kill am....ah, my skin is feeling a soft warm tingly breeze, bristling through the strands of my hair at .00008 nautical miles per sec, oh, now its temperature has dropped by 20%. The brains response is "u dey craze?" "who wan dey do that kain work for u?", angry

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by queensmith: 7:42pm On Jun 16, 2012
esere826:

I like ur stance, but em .. like i said in one of my earlier posts my observation is that whereas polish accented gals with not too 'good' english get 'white' collar jobs more easily, same cannot be said for their male counterparts. I think that to some degree its the subconciouse pleasentness of the sound to the hearer that affects reactions. i also suspect that such assimilation might differ in different environments/contexts

I mean, make we tok true. Even for 9ja we dey yab some kine accent no matter how correct the english is.

I don't think so, the first thing people need to learn when living here is that you have to adjust to the diversity. Nobody speaks like the queen (not even her grandsons) prince harry has a heavier 'innit' accent 'theyll be slaggin you off like' than most slang users I know. You will come across directors and CEOs with heavy cockney accents, you'll speak to sales representatives and barely know what theyre saying (be it indians or people from yorkshire). Finance professionals that just landed in the country and can barely string english sentences together.
Lecturers with conc accents yo have to record and play back very slowly to understand, it's only if the person hiring you is classist (i cant really say if that's common since i'm yet to hear accents can stop you from getting a job) that it will hold you back.
Granted if you've spent enough time in a professional environment to become qualified you probably will have let your 'innit' accent go, but if you havent it's not going to stop you much. (i dont think anyway, i don't work in HR so i'm only speaking from what i've observed)
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 8:07pm On Jun 16, 2012
@queensmith

Thanks for throwing more light on the communication topic. It is very helpful to me in further building my repertoire of information/experience

@readers that have been interested in this part of the thread

If you've noticed the exchanges between queensmith, justwise and I, you could reach a conclusion that there is no one perfect way to acheiving your objectives. I stongly believe this. This would invariably mean that I approach my career with a bag of tricks. If one doesn't work, i reach for another.

2 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by queensmith: 8:31pm On Jun 16, 2012
esere826: @queensmith

Thanks for throwing more light on the communication topic. It is very helpful to me in further building my repertoire of information/experience

@readers that have been interested in this part of the thread

If you've noticed the exchanges between queensmith, justwise and I, you could reach a conclusion that there is no one perfect way to acheiving your objectives. I stongly believe this. This would invariably mean that I approach my career with a bag of tricks. If one doesn't work, i reach for another.

you can say that again jare- thankfully there are soo many professionals moving in from nigeria so that offers a spark of encouragement. smiley
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 12:50am On Jun 17, 2012
23b) EXPERIENCE THROUGH FRIENDS AND CREATIVITY

I'll be off to church in the morning, so let me purge myself off some carnal thoughts using this thread grin

Funke was a very sumptous girl that Frank had been eyeing in a very unprofessional manner. They had schooled together in the UK, she doing her masters in a finance related course, and Frank doing his in something else. They were reading buddies while in the university and spent loads of time in the library together. They had both graduated at the same time and had gone on to work in different companies. Frank had this persistent habit of going to a nearby university library between gaps in contract jobs and in the evenings.

On this particular day, she came over to Frank's place just as he was heading off to the library, and she tagged along with him. They went up the stairs avoiding the lifts (to keep fit he always told her), and as was customary he walked behind her. Funke had 2 polar effects on Frank. The first was an extreme deadening of all his senses and the other was a quickening of his brain power in an attempt to impress her.

Walking behind Funke, the first effect was gloriously at play. .. the quickened breadth wasn't due to Frank's ascent up the stairs, it was more the result of an andrenalin gush triggered by strong, creatively visual imaginations (no be because of this i be dey tok of brain and creativity oo). They finally got to their favourite part of the library which wasnt taken yet. They then started an interesting discussion on how to achieve their career goals. As they started the discusion, power migrated from lower regions to the upper region where it rightfully belonged.

Their discussions and its positive effects on their careers did not actually happen in only one day. It was a long process of further library meetings, telephone conversations, individual research, proactive steps and lots more, punctuated with some 'daddy and mummy' events wink. However, I'll try to summarise majority of their accomplishments like it happened in one day or a short period.

Bless you brothers and sisters cheesy
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by raphrinco: 7:00am On Jun 18, 2012
Dubai is oil rich country,but as working and studying based on my experience here in QATAR I dont think can work so easily like other country,but you still have to try,I think you have a chance because they will like to consider you as their own University product.PRAY HARD AND STUDY HARD.
bigcycs: Interesting thread,most helpful!

Ok so i gained admission to study MSC petroleum engineering @ Heriot-watt Dubai.i actually studied Petroleum Engineering @ FUTO nigeria...and i graduated with a 2'1.am actually supposed to leave by september this year .so i wonder if there is any information,tips,advice etc about how 2 adapt 2 the life in abu dhabi.

What are my chances in dubai assuming i complete this program and will wanna get a job there.

I will really appreciate inputs from folks on here.

Thanks

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by raphrinco: 7:18am On Jun 18, 2012
Please any advice on going to abroad to search for a football club,it must not be big teams immediately, I think there are some opportunity in Europe for a footballer even from the open camp trial,local ,regional,semi professional and professional teams is always good to start from somewhere.Even most of the stars today started from the amateur level .So which country will you advice some one to go in search of a start in football career?
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by raphrinco: 8:09am On Jun 18, 2012
JUST THANK YOUR GOD FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION HERE,MY BROTHER AM IN QATAR,AND SOME PEOPLE THAT LEFT QATAR FOR DUBAI EXCEPT ON BUSINESS TRIP,MOST TIMES DO COMPLAIN THE HARDSHIP THERE,
1RESIDENT PERMIT BY AN INDIVIDUAL IS AROUND 800K NAIRA BUT AS FOR COMPANY IS AROUND 600K,BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT YOU ARE NOT GUARANTEED ANY JOB OR SURVIVAL THERE UNLESS YOU ARE FOR BUSINESS TRIP AND FINALLY IF YOUR VISA EXPIRES AND YOU ARE CAUGHT 2-5 YEARS IN THE PRISON AND YOU WILL BE DEPORTED.
Omolewu:
one of my friend travelled to dubai u a e early this year and he told me to send my scanned passport and $1000 to do visa and work permit for me.pls aadvise me for i dont want to go astrsy.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by solomonjesus: 9:43am On Jun 18, 2012
Ok
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 11:54am On Jun 19, 2012
23c) FRIENDS AND EXPERIENCE

Frank and Funke discovered that one of the ways to get into jobs is through your friends, or if you like network. Some companies have referral programmes whereby employees are able to introduce prospects to the company and if they are accepted, the person that introduced them gets paid some amount of money. The theory underpinning this is something that has to do with clusters. That is there is stronge evidence that birds of the same feather dey flock together. So excellent profesionals suppose get professional friends. IT intensive people suppose know better IT people wen no go fall their hand.

Now, outside this formal arrangement this cluster effect can be stretched by your friends (this frienship thing is another topic that i might spread in my postings). So if your friend is appreciated by her recruitment company probably because she has been able to build a strong reputation and likeability with them, she could stake her reputation on you and conveniently introduce you to her recruiters without any referral fees. This would strongly improve your chances of landing that job. How does this work?

Your CV go come dey on top instead of below, and if the recruiter dey talk to client about u, im go dey defend and sell u as if im don know u tey tey.

Friendship in the UK takes a whole new meaning. If you've read thru all the posts on this thread you would have had the feeling that it is not de way that it is practiced in 9ja. Climbing up the ladder, u can be knocked off by a dent on ur reputation, so folks dey guard their rep wel wel.

Im no be like for 9ja wen even after dem don convict u of money laundery and dressing like a drag queen to escape justice, u go still siddon by the side of the president in a public place with plenty photo.

So if ur friend manage to borrow u money (dem no dey borrow for UK) and u com turn to James Bond, no expect say im go take u go meet im recruiters o. Or say ur friend know say u like yahoo yahoo, im fit dey go party with u, but no go let u near im work contacts
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 1:57pm On Jun 19, 2012
23d) FRIENDS Ooo

Now we know that an important aspect of friend networking (if the phrase exists) that can be maximized in your career is trust, it might also interest you to know that 'THANK YOU' might take you a long way. Make I deviate again small (but na still part of the larger topic of weting we suppose know b4 we enter UK).

Dis one pain me small sha. I crack my head small and take some time (my time valuable o0) to answer d question wen @salsera(f) ask me on how to gain experience or get job for UK. She read my reply commot, she no even fit say 'thank you' even if say na rubbish I tell am. U think say if she come here come ask me any direct question, I go stress myself answer am again?.

So u see that your general character could affect your friendship network in the UK. The character is not to be stored in your heart, it is meant to be expressed in your actions. I remember once opening the door for a 9ja guy (I no dress like say I be security), the guy passed, and was actually looking at me as if expecting something. So i told him thank you with all the sarcasm that I could muster. He actually acknowledged it.

Right! such character issues (trust in ur ability, impoliteness, 'yahoo'ness, aggressiveness etc) might be a challenge, preventing your friend wen don dey manicure and pedicure im career from cooperating with you on career. You would also see the importance of this in the strategy detailed in the next post

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 3:52pm On Jun 21, 2012
23e)STRETCH, AND EXPERIENCINCE A FRIEND'S EXPERIENCE

It is said that there is a difference between knowing and comprehending issues. Everyone know that they will someday die, but it probably takes someone who said hello to us a few seconds ago kicking the bucket for us to fleetingly comprehend that death is a looming certainty.

With time, Funke soon grasped the goldmine that her 'friend network' was. She had one of such who was actually a financial analyst, another was an accountant, and yet another was a data analyst.

Her financial analyst friend (Lisa) was pregnant and im dey work from house many times plus say im get remote access. Wetin funke come dey do with the permision of Lisa na to dey siddon with am dey look de kine office work wen she dey do from her computer wen dey house. She go dey there we lisa dey answer de phone dey speak to office people. As Funke dey wit Lisa, she no turn herself no nuisance wen na so so how to receive from people na im dey sweet dem. She dey help lisa do many things for house, even dey helep lisa go or erands especially as lisa bella don dey big pass de rest of her body.

As funke de look and listen to lisa, she come dey do many visualisation excercise, dey psychological dey see herself dey do all de kine work wen lisa dey do. Sometimes sef, she dey role play with Frank so dat she fit internalize de experience. She dey take many notes down, and also wen she go house she dey try build de kine financial models wen Lisa dey build for her spreadsheet. Her data analyst 'friend network' even teach am excel. Dis firend dey provide funke with dummy data samples wen be like de one wen im dey work with for office. Dis na spreadsheets wen get thousands of rolls of data. Him dey teach am wetin dem dey ask am to produce for office wit de data. Things like historical analysis, piecharts, vlookup,...plenty things like dis.

Funke com even go a step further to experience - experience by using youtube. For there, she see plenti plenti video of task wen financial analyst dem dey do for office. She come dep practice dis one join. Na so Funke take maximize creativity and friendship take become star financial analyst ooo.

Like i said erlier before plunging into this particular element of gaining experience, your brain might have to work over time to acheive this seemingly easy task. Data na serious issue for jand, infact some of de tin wen i tok fit be legally grey areas. Na swhy i be tok say u need to have a great degree of trustworthiness and likeability to pull dis off.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 4:16pm On Jun 21, 2012
22f) EASY 'FRIEND NETWORK' and the parable of the ten lepers

Remember a story in the bible when Jesus healed ten lepers and told them to go show themselves to the priest. Five came back immediately to say thank you to Jesus, while the other 5 went of to the priests only. Jesus asked "what about the other five?" Jesus then told the 5 that what they had done had made them whole.

This story is very instructive as it reflects what I have observed in many of my compatriots (not everyone behaves this way). From my own observation, de kine work wen i tell u say u fit need to do to actually get the trust and liking of these ur special friends no easy o. If your character has been more of collecting from people and saying na God do am, and probably giving to the church but not giving something back to these ur 'friend networks'. You might soon discover that God is considering using other friends that have not yet fallen for you, maybe in some 10 to 15 years time.

I'm not saying it is wrong to ascribe thanks to God plus fulfill any other religious obligations, all I'm saying is that you should act like the 5 lepers who acknowledged the process of how God take do am, and this should not be in your heart, but in your actions to them.

Well, a 'friend network' that you could utilize that might not be bothered with any of your weaknesses are you partners, brothers and sisters. Dem don dey used to ur behaviour so dem no go mind.

In the next post, I'll speak on some psychologica/emotional challenges I have noticed that some have when trying to use this inner circle of 'familly network'
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 12:49pm On Jun 22, 2012
23f.2) A Brief Recap

In our preceding posts, we introduced a term called 'friend network'. The term is meant to capture a concept that has not been catered for in previously available literature.

I guess that you've read about networks and their usefulness in growing your business and career. You are also very much aware of the concept of friendship which almost begins from your years as a toddler and which provides for your emotional support and wellbeing.

Networks (as it is practiced in the UK) are useful. However, for you -a baptized Nigerian, the benefits might not be as precise as you want them to be. Probably, these networks might be more of a peer to peer relationship with limited information sharing on 'WHAT' to do, and not "HOW' to do it.

You might also find out that 'friendship' as is practiced in Nigeria is not the same as it is practiced in the UK.

'Friend network' is therefore an innovative concept which we define as a person or persons that have a relationship with you. They are committed to investing their professionally-related time and resources on you in order to see your career grow.

This 'friend network' exists mainly through a conversion process, eg friends, networks, relations and spouses can be converted to a 'friend network'. You might however find some that are already sold out to you without your making any effort to convert them. Naira Land forum is full of such people who invest valuable time and resources on us in other to simply hear the good news that fellow Nigerians are making it in their careers and business.

For example, if you look through the thread on SAP in NL you would be amazed how some kind hearted folks have practically pulled fellow Nigerians up the career ladder.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jun 22, 2012
Haah

Esere
See as you finish me oh
But thanks for reminding me about my manners
Been busy with a business course and all its assignments so I just got overwhelmed

Thank you - I'm very very very grateful you shared your suggestions and I'm definitely using them. Best advice I've gotten on this so far.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 3:38pm On Jun 23, 2012
salsera: Haah

Esere
See as you finish me oh
But thanks for reminding me about my manners
Been busy with a business course and all its assignments so I just got overwhelmed

Thank you - I'm very very very grateful you shared your suggestions and I'm definitely using them. Best advice I've gotten on this so far.

Yeah, yeah excuses, .....my teeth bin dey pain me, my umblela was leaking.. lol. You're welcome sha grin

Best wishes on your courses and career
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 6:59pm On Jun 23, 2012
23g)THE BATTLE WITHIN Part 1

We've identifined your inner circle of girlfriend, boyfriend, brothers, sisters and best friends (the 9ja ones wen una friendship start for 9ja, and una 2 come UK together) wen be professionals as a more maleable group to convert to your 'friend network'

(this friend network thing no dey sweet me for mouth, but make I manage am for now. I be try create names like friendork, netfriends, fretwork etc but they didn't convey the potency of what I was trying to postulate. So 'friend network' it is for now)

I have noticed that quite a number of folks whom I have encountered do not seem interested in maximizing this group. Based on discussions and observations, the major reason is because these potential friend-networks are engaged in roles/professions that are not of interest to the job/career seeker. Lets create 2 fictional characters to address such challenges.

Abdul has got a masters in a law related course and has always nutured this dream of becoming a big shot in a prestigious UK legal firm. His girlfriend Ehis is a practicing HR analyst. Ehis is willing to share her skills with Abdul, and strongly believes that she can get him a job as an HR analyst once he masters the skills. Abdul has no interest and motivation for this; He's looking, waiting, praying and fasting for his special cheese -his law job, with all the silk ties, shiny shoes and pretty secretaries that come with it. Ehis's job doesn't appear to link up to his career needs

Now, this is the interesting part. While networking, attending costly seminars, reading career books, sowing, waiting amd praying for his dream job; Abdul is working as a Security personel. This job pays him 9pounds per hour, while Ehis' job pays her 17 pounds per hour......

RIGHT!.....LETS STOP HERE AND THINK REALLY HARD

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 7:02pm On Jun 23, 2012
23h) THE BATTLE WITHIN Part 2

My God, My God, My God... If you're in such a situation. --in fact I no know.

This is a topic that can spiral out of control into a lengthy thesis, critique and counter critique. Im dey pain me, because i dey see people for such situation, and dem no dey gree budge. I might be the one taking a silly, cowardly position.. in fact i no know

But wait a minute, Abdul might have a point abi? He's chasing his dreams abi? Is this not what those heroic grass to grace stories are all about? It seems everywhere, -----in the bible, richard branson, MKO Abiola, those wen be no get shoes.... etc, These are the kind of stories that make motivational books sell.

There is something exciting about such stories that seem to create a spark and frenzy in us. We admire people with such stories. Those of us that take the easy way out, kind of hide our tails inbetween our legs as we trudge along with humans while our cousins the wolves glare at us, their stone cold eyes reflecting the beautiful wild of the new moon

RIGHT!..... AGAIN LETS STOP HERE AND THINK REALLY HARD

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 8:56am On Jun 24, 2012
23i) DECONSTRUCTING AND RECONSTRUCTING YOUR ID

Today is Sunday, so i'll get a little bit scriptural

Because some of Abdul's 'stick to d dream' attitude is partly as a result of church teachings. I'll use 2 biblical stories to thaw at his present construct. The first is with Ishmael's mum after Abraham had sent her out to the desert. Her water got exhausted and she wept fearing that she would die. She'd been a slave girl, with little global experience. The world as she and many in her time probably knew it then was quite limited. It this part of the unchatterd world that she had been sent off to, water did not exist in the desert. If she couldn't get to the greener areas quickly, she and her kid would die. It took an angel to wipe her tears away and show her that water did exist in the desert, and quite close by.

Moses when faced with the red sea with no where to go was asked by God, 'what's in ur hands?' The staff soon seperated the sea.

Abdul's attitude can also be traced to motivational book he read and internalised. A lady who propounded what is called effectuation theory in the field of entrepreneurship commented that successful entrepreneurs are good story tellers after the fact. In order words, if you're not with them during their experience, they naturally tell a kind of incredible story of the events that lead to what made them what they are.

Look through most of the narration of such success stories, u might not find the contextual background of how it happened. 'God did it'. Probably, some might have had rich parents, benefactors that they potential could have fallen back to if the need arises and so they were confident of taking difficult risks even if they didn't seek for assistance from them; bribes under the table; sleeping with the enemy; ..the list goes on and on and on.

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 9:22am On Jun 24, 2012
23j) NOW THAT U KNOW

Having a helicopter view of events, we can make some suggestions to Abdul.

-Presently he's doing a security job that he does not like and does not also tie up with his dream, why not learn his girlfriend's trade, get employed as an HR analyst and earn more. With the extra money, he could pay for some of those seminars that he enjoys attending, and continue whit his dreaming there

-Working in a white collar role would sharpen his office skills that would be useful when he becomes a legal practitioner

-I don't know much about the legal industry in the UK. But from what I've read about it, it is quite elitist, preffering graduates form top rated universities (i've rarely or never seen adverts for legal jobs).

- There are many adverts for analysts in the legal industry. As an HR analyst, with a law degree, he would actually ba a hot candidate for such roles even in the top 2 legal firms.

-Once he's in (that's as an analystin a legal firm), he could think of how to work himself into the legal profession using some of the tips I have offered in earlier posts.

- Just in case 'God says that it is not yet his time', is it not better for him to be stuck as an HR analyst with better pay and greater confidence while waiting, than as a security guard?

I think Ehis would agree with me. No be wen time don reach for marriage abdul go start to dey complain say im neva settle, how can he marry as a security man etc.

9ja Uk ladies in the professional career track, u'd better drag ur 9ja mechanic, security and cleaning men by their ears kicking and screaming into some form of job where they have some security, confidence and extra cash. De yeye boys like to dey do security so dat dem go dey toast and get toasted.

For the guys, man I would advice that u do same with ur ladies. Quite an number would instinctively like 2 be kept wives. U go fit even use am blakmail dem -lovingly sha grin

I don tell una
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 4:26pm On Jun 24, 2012
24) GET SOME EXPERIENCE IN 9JA OR SOME OTHER COUNTRY

Another way you can gain that much needed experience is in Nigeria. Once you've identified an opening in the UK that you think you can fit in if you've got the skills, you could take a 6 months to 1 year trip to 9ja and work in a company were u can experience that skill. For example, a number of jobs in the Uk advertise jobs that require you to be able to use SAP. You could go back home and work in an organisation that uses such tools. I hear thatsome organisations in India train people for a fee, and then put them on to some SAP projects. You could also try this
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 4:36pm On Jun 24, 2012
25) Information Technology MIGHT BE THE KEY for now

IT skills are in high demand in the UK at present, so I would suggest that you try gaining experience in the tools that are relevant or useful to your career aspirations. Tools like MS access, Excel, SAP, GIS, MS projects, Sage, VBA, fast typing skills etc. Some like Excel are quite generic, so it might make more sense to start with those first. Such relevant tools/skills would definitely enable you get you foot in the door in many organisation.

Please, don't take my word for it. I encourage u make u try wetin i tok by puuting them for ur kpali (even if u neva get am yet) and sending it to recruiters. U go bow for the toasting wen u go get. Also, u go fit try am by using ojoro name plus another ojoro phone number and email wen u get.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 4:59pm On Jun 24, 2012
26) GAPS IN CV

Like i tok b4, if u no go better school for UK, no use ajebo strategy for ur application o. Ajebo cv go fit tok say im be go Warwick university for 1+ years and during that time e no dey work. Dem go like am like dat. For kpakos, wetin the recruiters dey programmed to c na gap in employment. Dem no go like take ur kpali forward. So while u dey scho0l, try hook urself with 'any' job for better company, even if dem no de pay u, or say u dey go only once a week. Wen u don finish and im don reach time to submit ur kpali, put the company for there, and no mention say na voluntary or 2 hrs per week o.

See Ajebo CV as at today 24/06/2012
(A)
EDUCATION
2011 -2012 Masters Warwick University
2003 -2007 BSc Covenant University
WORK EXPERIENCE
2011 -2012 * I took a break from my career to gain further learning experience in management. My Warwick course involved me visiting Queen Elizabeth and Barack Obama for my project
2009 -2011 Business Analyst -Shell, Nigeria
2007-2009 Team leader - Chevron, Nigeria

As a Kpako wen dey do voluntary work for Red Cross once in a month or something like that:
(B)
EDUCATION
2011 -2012 Masters Pekham College
2003 -2007 BSc Ambrose Ali University
SKILLS
SAP, Excel (advanced), Visio, Sage
WORK EXPERIENCE
2011 -2012 Financial Analyst -Red Cross (UK) using Sage
2009 -2011 Business Analyst - Owawa petrochemicals (Nig) using UML's, SAP and Viso
2007-2009 Analyst Team leader - Forte Oil (Nig) using excel
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 5:04pm On Jun 24, 2012
Thank GOD! I'm finally getting to the end. grin

Kai, i no go ever try this kain self inflicted punishment again o
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 5:38pm On Jun 24, 2012
27) DATA FOOTPRINTS

Lest i forget, u need to watch out for this one.

For many top paying roles, recruiters wen just be like me and u wen dey hustle go fit do a quick internet search for ur name even if d company no send dem dat kine message. The reason be say dem no one make d wrong hiring decision as im go fit affect their performance rating

If u dey write for internet wit ur real name say oyibo and gay people dey craze and mad. u are on your own o. Also, if for ur cv and profiles u dey like to put all the names wen ur grandpapa and papa give u,-oluwatoyin ejike suleiman emmanuel, im go dey very easy to find u using google search. If una dey lucky say una name dey very common like -john peter. This kine name, recruiters go tire to search because many people dey wen get this kine name, so dem go av to take u at face value.

If u get facebook profile, secure am well. Ur linkedin account, manage am well, well. Im fact remove am if im dey do more harm than good. If u go dey write for ur linkedin profile 'looking for a job' im go raise red flag. Im big like wen woman for 9ja they announce publicly without style say im dey find husband. U know as im dey be. U go fit also dey adjust ur linked in profile to belly the kine cv wen u dey submit or reduce d information wen u put der

Wen u submit CV, and u get unique name, make u dey very careful. The Cv's no they commot from database for at least 2 to 5 years. So wen u comeback to d recruiter to look for job, even the system fit alert am say somebody like dat dey for database already. Im fit compare ur old Cv to d new one, and if one tok say u be security for airport and de other one say na u be Complaint handler for airport im go fit put caution sign against ur data (i guess now u know why some companies never grant u audience no matter what).

Try to dey get many email address even if na d same password because email na also unique identifier for ur data. Im be like NL were u no go fit register twice with one email. Also make u dey kiaful wit phone numbers. No grow emotionally attached to the once wen u dey use for ur applications.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 5:44pm On Jun 24, 2012
28 ) THE END?

I think I've largely exhausted what we need to know and do to improve our career in the UK, and would be officially rounding off. I need to concentrate on other things. Wow. THANK GOD FOR THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE

The whole experience reminds me of the story of the arabian or persian prince that had the habit of beheading his new brides after the first night. Many chicks tried stuff to keep him interested, pretty facees, dancing skills, rolling hips, bedmatics etc. None worked. This one girl came in and told an interesting story every night that never got finished. Well he was interested in getting to the end of the story, and had to have her for keeps.

In the book, "the richest man in babylon' Algamish confesses that 'an old tongue likes to wag'. (I no old o, jus speaking figuratively). I initially thought of writing a book on this, and maybe organising some seminars. But haven't got enough time presently, and society does change. I wouldn't want to store some information that would be useful now but probably less valuable in the future. This has therefore been a blessed oppurtunity for me.

Thanks to justwise, queensmith, salsera, hustla242, emysandy, eduson33, playboy19, jidewin life_style and osram for making important inputs and indulging me the space to spew it all out. Thanks also to all readers of the posts. And by the way, although I would like all 9jrians in the UK to read this post and use it effectively, the truth remains that this won't be the case. And anyways, if everyone one reads an actually practice what I've written, it would largely become worthless. the reason being that competitive advantage is only gained when there is information asymmetry. This knowledge kept me pushing on, despite my not having a larger audience which I would have preferred.

Hope this helps our friends and loved ones in pushing past the plastic ceilings that exists in UK careers.

Finally, I am also reminded of one of the stories in the '48 laws of power' of how everyone in a village drank from water that made everyone go crazy except a group of friends. The group of friends were now the ones considered as being crazy. One by one, the friends went off to drink the water and also became crazy (normal), untill the last one, He too abandoned is sanity and drank also; he became part of the new normal wink.

The crazy waters of NL beckons. I must drink and abandon this uptight role I placed on myself. ....Enjoy the normalcy of cursing and swearing, laughing and crying, ah ...............chasing and being chased

Where are the chicks? -whether yellow, black or white, theyr'e precious in my sight. Time to go atoasting cool

and by the way, 'u dey craze?' cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by kristofa09(m): 6:54pm On Jun 24, 2012
@esere:u 2 much jare.u tot me a lot here.i WILL put al u av tot in2 practice when i succeed in jandin of naija.God bles u.pray 4 me sha.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by hustla242: 1:14pm On Jun 25, 2012
esere826: 28 ) THE END?

I think I've largely exhausted what we need to know and do to improve our career in the UK, and would be officially rounding off. I need to concentrate on other things. Wow. THANK GOD FOR THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE

The whole experience reminds me of the story of the arabian or persian prince that had the habit of beheading his new brides after the first night. Many chicks tried stuff to keep him interested, pretty facees, dancing skills, rolling hips, bedmatics etc. None worked. This one girl came in and told an interesting story every night that never got finished. Well he was interested in getting to the end of the story, and had to have her for keeps.

In the book, "the richest man in babylon' Algamish confesses that 'an old tongue likes to wag'. (I no old o, jus speaking figuratively). I initially thought of writing a book on this, and maybe organising some seminars. But haven't got enough time presently, and society does change. I wouldn't want to store some information that would be useful now but probably less valuable in the future. This has therefore been a blessed oppurtunity for me.

Thanks to justwise, queensmith, salsera, hustla242, emysandy, eduson33, playboy19, jidewin life_style and osram for making important inputs and indulging me the space to spew it all out. Thanks also to all readers of the posts. And by the way, although I would like all 9jrians in the UK to read this post and use it effectively, the truth remains that this won't be the case. And anyways, if everyone one reads an actually practice what I've written, it would largely become worthless. the reason being that competitive advantage is only gained when there is information asymmetry. This knowledge kept me pushing on, despite my not having a larger audience which I would have preferred.

Hope this helps our friends and loved ones in pushing past the plastic ceilings that exists in UK careers.

Finally, I am also reminded of one of the stories in the '48 laws of power' of how everyone in a village drank from water that made everyone go crazy except a group of friends. The group of friends were now the ones considered as being crazy. One by one, the friends went off to drink the water and also became crazy (normal), untill the last one, He too abandoned is sanity and drank also; he became part of the new normal wink.

The crazy waters of NL beckons. I must drink and abandon this uptight role I placed on myself. ....Enjoy the normalcy of cursing and swearing, laughing and crying, ah ...............chasing and being chased

Where are the chicks? -whether yellow, black or white, theyr'e precious in my sight. Time to go atoasting cool

and by the way, 'u dey craze?' cheesy

Excellent information for Nigerians that are serious about being professionals, you've done well- it's always good to invest in people which most of us don't tap into.

One last thing, to expand you network- joining Linkedin in a must for any serious professional. The amount of job offers I've received via linkedin in the last year alone would be over 10. I can offer advice to anyone looking to break into the scientific/pharmaceutical arena.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by davida222(m): 4:06pm On Jun 25, 2012
Callimo: One thing I wanna tell any guy-man wey still de Naija is to put head down and find a space in the country where you can solve a problem. Look around you , u must find smthing u will do to better the lots of humanity; like that u make ur cool cash.

Discover a problem, solve that problem and money starts pumping into ur acc. Just dont think of travle, the economy of the western world is in total downward swing.My guys its not easy outside here at all. The whole world now depends on Africa for survival. So ,if u r still in Africa, pls stay put nd find ground where u can match. There r more destitutes in NYC than our dear Lagos if u don know.

Naija is the destination (162m people)good mkt for anything u can think of
Sharap u ar killin people spirit.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by nedostic: 9:55pm On Jun 25, 2012
My take on this topic is rather a simple advice. You need to be purposeful and keep at it despite initial challenges.Please do not have high hopes that abroad is an Eldorado!
Most importantly,before leaving Naija,ensure you save enough or have enough cash to settle bills for at least six(6) months of your stay.
Finally, if you are moving over for study or career prospects, try as much as you can to pursue a genuine cause and try to live within your means.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ozuma Bridge In Okene Collapses A Week After Yahaya Bello Constructed It (photo) / Lagos At Night..captivating pictures of a city on the rise. / Man Cries Out As He Spots Anthony Truck With The Container On It About To Fall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.