Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,561 members, 7,770,456 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:50 AM

Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know (60794 Views)

We Are Not Leaving Nigeria - Virgin Atlantic / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria / Traveling To Nigeria: Things To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by solomonjesus: 11:22pm On Jun 26, 2012
Thanks bro
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by cube63: 12:42am On Jul 05, 2012
pato405: that cube63 or whatever he calls himself is just sooo D-A-F-T!! his brain mass is less than a dice cube indeed.

I and your dad have a lot in common grin shocked cool
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by cube63: 12:46am On Jul 05, 2012
efe22: You just sit here in naija or wherever you are now to talk poo of other countries. Since you were born, what have you contributed to Nigeria or where u reside now. I guess you mean making fast money through drug and other fraudulent ways in the UK. Talk is cheap

My dear friend, I don't do drugs, I'm not in the U.K Never will! What have i contribute to Nigeria? What have you contributed my friend? Shut it! In the next 50 years where will you be? Where will Nigeria be? Mtchew! Hopeless is hopeless there is no other word for it oh jare!

I go pooh all my pikin abroad, maybe they will help do the contribution.

Oni ranu! angry
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by cube63: 12:48am On Jul 05, 2012
jidewin:
Kai that Elanra 2012 enter my eye anytime I see am for midrand.d car sleek no be small.but ol boy sofry sofry o.Haters plenty for SA seeing naija guys dey cruise sleek machine

My brother your head there oh jare! I don return the car sef go carry Brand New Kia Rio 2012 Tear Rubber! That car nearly put me for wahala. Your head dey there jare... Southy guys sef dey beef oh i think say na Only Naija! undecided

I'm proud to be a Nigerian anytime! Dem girls here dig and one question i leave on their mouth is "Are you sure you're a Nigerian?" wink Makes my head bigging! Lol

Let's make a difference anywhere we find ourselves and give naija a better name! Peace!
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by ololo12: 4:17am On Jul 07, 2012
@ Esere.

God bless you for such an Informative post.. More grease to your elbow, you too much!!
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by jowizee(m): 2:32pm On Oct 19, 2012
Ignatio:

Who is an akata?
na wa o,must dey tell u say man body no be fire wood
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 29, 2012
Yeske!:
Still don't understand this craze for abroad, never thought of it and never will. Going on a visit is cool but not staying put, Naija rocks even with all it's shortcomings.
. My brother be honest, I am a nigerian but I'm not going to support my country when we are wrong!! If I may ask what rocks in 9ja? Boko haram? No light? No water? Mtn zap ur credit? Studying computer science but can't boost of a writing a program? Kidnapping? No job? Armed robbery? Ritualist? Exams like waec, jamb even degree exam you get to see the question a week b4 exam? Adults Fighting daily? Face me i face you? Daily generator usage? Should I rock your world more....? CALL A SPADE A SPADE!!! Even though abroad is hard one thing is sure with good grades and Good you get qualified on merits rather than man know man!

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 16, 2012
before leaving nigeria you must know that other countries operate under some law and order. do not for a second think that because nigerians thrive in lawlessness, other people do. get to know the laws of your host country and adapt.

3 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 5:02pm On Nov 16, 2012
ololo12: @ Esere.

God bless you for such an Informative post.. More grease to your elbow, you too much!!

You're welcome dude.
Hope you're finding it extremely useful
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by jaywontojuwonlo(m): 8:39am On Dec 27, 2012
Its only God that can help you in a foriegn land above all preparation seek for Gods guidance before embarking on the journey.Good luck dudes.

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by raphrinco: 4:25pm On Dec 29, 2012
GOD BLESS YOU ,YOU VE SAID IT ALL.
jaywontojuwonlo: Its only God that can help you in a foriegn land above all preparation seek for Gods guidance before embarking on the journey.Good luck dudes.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by staffingx: 5:07pm On Dec 31, 2012
pDude: Nice thread. I am happy someone finally wrote this.

One important thing is that you should have an open mind and be hard working. Be wary of many nigerians here. They will get you into trouble faster than you can say "jack". Many of them have records ranging from misdemeanor to full blown criminal record. Fact! Also don't try to fake yankee accent or any such shizz. Mexicans, Chinese, Jamaicans, over here speak with their own accent and are proud of it so do the same.

Don't come over here and start trying to make good cash to send back home as soon as you arrive. The desperation to get wealth will land you in hot peppersoup and once you have a record (even as little as a DUI) it sticks to you like a plague and narrows your opportunity. Also remember that CCTVs are watching your every move at all times. Your apartment block even has one; so don't commit a crime and start begging say 'oga nor be me do am, na my twin brother'. cheesy

Also have a clear set goal of what you want to be. Don't try to solve financial problems in Nigeria of your family and relatives cos they will drain you the moment you send that first $100. Take care of yourself first and settle yourself first before any other person.

Also don't file for anyone who you don't know too well or any close pal. They might put you in trouble cos once USCIS is able to uncover any fraudlent activity in the person's record, next thing is the US Homeland Security is going to be on the petitioner's (you) case. They will begin to keep you under close scrutiny and even a misdemeanor can get your azz deported back to hellhole naija cheesy

Also obey their laws here. Leave Nigerian gra-gra behavior back in Nigeria. Be civil and pleasant to everyone you meet. Your big break may not come through a Nigerian but through another foriegn national.

Need I say more?

Why must you associate naija with a hell hole? What you call a hellhole is where others are thriving, making their fortune and moving up the social pecking order.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by peteafrik88(m): 6:43pm On Dec 31, 2012
esere826: 9) CHOOSE YOUR UNIVERSITY CAREFULLY: These rules are not straight jacket rules. Think not of the rules, but of its effects. The university you attend in the UK could make a huge difference in your life. Remember that I said earlier that UK is an elitist country. Attend one of the 10 best universities in the UK, and you do not need to change your communication one bit (oyibos might even happily struggle to want to hear you or to speak like you). You might even graduate with a 3rd class, and Recruiters from all over the world will headhunt you while you are still studying. But offcourse we know that this might be competitive and extremely costly to get into such universities. This is were you begin to twig your strategy. As the Universities drop in rating, work hard to make a 2.1 or first class. For example, if you make a first class in a very cheap university, you'll still go as far as someone that made a 2:2 from Oxford all depending on how you play your card

Avoid attending universities that are expensive and yet have no real value. Its actually better to attend cheaper universities and make excellent grades. Look out for universities were good companies such as accenture, shell, Lloyds actively recruit from.

Pls, give an example. It will be appreciated by those that still have travelling to UK in mind.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 2:35am On Jan 01, 2013
peteafrik88:

Pls, give an example. It will be appreciated by those that still have travelling to UK in mind.

Cant remember the relationships, but please do some research yourself. Google and the internet are your friend wink.
For example, searching for the key words "UK, university, career, Microsoft" brought out this http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/scs/ which is in Warwick university.

-You could also do a research by going to the career section of the top 20 UK universities and searching for their relationships with the big employers
-You could go to the FTSE or Fortune 100 companies UK career websites and search for their association with specific universities (I faintly recall that Accenture UK recruits MBA's from LBS)
-The research should take you roughly 1 month to conclude
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by ibhena(m): 2:13am On Jul 21, 2013
Nice write up. Thumbs up for being concerned about the welfare of others, these are important nuggets people will find extremely useful, sooner or later!
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Godson201333(m): 7:01am On Jul 21, 2013
Nice Post,When moving abroad,you must ready to start from the bottom...

2 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by micklplus(m): 12:40pm On Dec 29, 2013
I love this. This thread is filled with great and wonderful information.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by femishow2005(m): 9:49am On Jan 09, 2014
dnative: Don't make promises to peeps you are leaving back in Naija based on future projections. Remember, the deal is not yet done until money exchange hands and you are actually in a job abroad and getting paid.
Be prepared to start from zero and work your way up
Flipping burgers, Security Guard or Care Work is not beneath your dignity. Take each opportunity as it comes on your way up. Almost every successful and native Africans have very humble beginnings abroad.
Be prepared for lifelong learning
Learn a practical skill even if you are well educated (you'll be surprised what difference they could make for starters)
Don't rush to join the 'I dey go invest for Naija' crowd. Business opportunities abound in the West regardless of the tax regime - your investments may be much safer over there on the overall.
Don't be in awe of the American or British accent, it comes naturally to them. Be yourself and act as comes naturally to you. Having said, it is natural to change gradually and over time in adaption to your new environment. Speaking clearly is more important than faking a non-natural accent.
Don't start buying those designer apparels until you've earned your way and have surplus in the bank. Be prudent with your cash, learn from the Asians
MTV is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to go to jobs after all the flossing.
If you CANNOT do the TIME, DON'T do the CRIME. Too many of our brothers are wasting away in the gallows for want of the quick buck. There is no oga abegi for abroad - be wise.

3 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by adsenseboy: 11:30am On Jul 12, 2014
Please is there anybody studying in heriot watts university Dubai campus? I need some information.

(
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by apolonius(m): 9:07pm On Jul 13, 2014
esere826: 28 ) THE END?

I think I've largely exhausted what we need to know and do to improve our career in the UK, and would be officially rounding off. I need to concentrate on other things. Wow. THANK GOD FOR THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE

The whole experience reminds me of the story of the arabian or persian prince that had the habit of beheading his new brides after the first night. Many chicks tried stuff to keep him interested, pretty facees, dancing skills, rolling hips, bedmatics etc. None worked. This one girl came in and told an interesting story every night that never got finished. Well he was interested in getting to the end of the story, and had to have her for keeps.

In the book, "the richest man in babylon' Algamish confesses that 'an old tongue likes to wag'. (I no old o, jus speaking figuratively). I initially thought of writing a book on this, and maybe organising some seminars. But haven't got enough time presently, and society does change. I wouldn't want to store some information that would be useful now but probably less valuable in the future. This has therefore been a blessed oppurtunity for me.

Thanks to justwise, queensmith, salsera, hustla242, emysandy, eduson33, playboy19, jidewin life_style and osram for making important inputs and indulging me the space to spew it all out. Thanks also to all readers of the posts. And by the way, although I would like all 9jrians in the UK to read this post and use it effectively, the truth remains that this won't be the case. And anyways, if everyone one reads an actually practice what I've written, it would largely become worthless. the reason being that competitive advantage is only gained when there is information asymmetry. This knowledge kept me pushing on, despite my not having a larger audience which I would have preferred.

Hope this helps our friends and loved ones in pushing past the plastic ceilings that exists in UK careers.

Finally, I am also reminded of one of the stories in the '48 laws of power' of how everyone in a village drank from water that made everyone go crazy except a group of friends. The group of friends were now the ones considered as being crazy. One by one, the friends went off to drink the water and also became crazy (normal), untill the last one, He too abandoned is sanity and drank also; he became part of the new normal wink.

The crazy waters of NL beckons. I must drink and abandon this uptight role I placed on myself. ....Enjoy the normalcy of cursing and swearing, laughing and crying, ah ...............chasing and being chased

Where are the chicks? -whether yellow, black or white, theyr'e precious in my sight. Time to go atoasting cool

and by the way, 'u dey craze?' cheesy

This is a masterpiece and it captures the most explicit highlights of the UK and the pathways to its best opportunities and careers.

Any aspiring immigrant from any part of the non-European world that can read and apply 15 percent of all you have shared will go very far and be assured of a place at the top.

I hope you make it all into a book,The Immigrant Manifesto will be a great title I will suggest.

Well done.Well done.Well done!

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by esere826: 9:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
apolonius:

This is a masterpiece and it captures the most explicit highlights of the UK and the pathways to its best opportunities and careers.

Any aspiring immigrant from any part of the non-European world that can read and apply 15 percent of all you have shared will go very far and be assured of a place at the top.

I hope you make it all into a book,The Immigrant Manifesto will be a great title I will suggest.

Well done.Well done.Well done!

wink
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by boofydon: 3:27pm On Jan 13, 2015
esere826:
28 ) THE END?

I think I've largely exhausted what we need to know and do to improve our career in the UK, and would be officially rounding off. I need to concentrate on other things. Wow. THANK GOD FOR THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE

The whole experience reminds me of the story of the arabian or persian prince that had the habit of beheading his new brides after the first night. Many chicks tried stuff to keep him interested, pretty facees, dancing skills, rolling hips, bedmatics etc. None worked. This one girl came in and told an interesting story every night that never got finished. Well he was interested in getting to the end of the story, and had to have her for keeps.

In the book, "the richest man in babylon' Algamish confesses that 'an old tongue likes to wag'. (I no old o, jus speaking figuratively). I initially thought of writing a book on this, and maybe organising some seminars. But haven't got enough time presently, and society does change. I wouldn't want to store some information that would be useful now but probably less valuable in the future. This has therefore been a blessed oppurtunity for me.

Thanks to justwise, queensmith, salsera, hustla242, emysandy, eduson33, playboy19, jidewin life_style and osram for making important inputs and indulging me the space to spew it all out. Thanks also to all readers of the posts. And by the way, although I would like all 9jrians in the UK to read this post and use it effectively, the truth remains that this won't be the case. And anyways, if everyone one reads an actually practice what I've written, it would largely become worthless. the reason being that competitive advantage is only gained when there is information asymmetry. This knowledge kept me pushing on, despite my not having a larger audience which I would have preferred.

Hope this helps our friends and loved ones in pushing past the plastic ceilings that exists in UK careers.

Finally, I am also reminded of one of the stories in the '48 laws of power' of how everyone in a village drank from water that made everyone go crazy except a group of friends. The group of friends were now the ones considered as being crazy. One by one, the friends went off to drink the water and also became crazy (normal), untill the last one, He too abandoned is sanity and drank also; he became part of the new normal wink.

The crazy waters of NL beckons. I must drink and abandon this uptight role I placed on myself. ....Enjoy the normalcy of cursing and swearing, laughing and crying, ah ...............chasing and being chased

Where are the chicks? -whether yellow, black or white, theyr'e precious in my sight. Time to go atoasting cool

and by the way, 'u dey craze?' cheesy
An author once said "Life is short, and your time for learning and creativity is limited. Without any guidance, you can waste valuable years trying to gain knowledge and practice from various sources". I have no doubt in my heart of hearts your sage advice will be of great help(though na yankee I dey go cheesy ) when I leave the shores of naija next month. Thank you so much for the "28 success principles for intending immigrants" written by esere826.
Since you made emphasis on the great importance of making "growth" friends, I want us to be friends cheesy ; at least, I'll get some wonderful mentoring sessions(I know sey I be oliver twist cheesy ) . I already sent you a pm, please kindly reply. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Mmkgroup5(f): 4:35pm On Jan 14, 2018
jmoore:

We have wheel barrow pushers in Aba that have bought their own cars.
lies
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Mmkgroup5(f): 4:39pm On Jan 14, 2018
Who no like better thing. Naija is messy
cube63:

My dear friend, I don't do drugs, I'm not in the U.K Never will! What have i contribute to Nigeria? What have you contributed my friend? Shut it! In the next 50 years where will you be? Where will Nigeria be? Mtchew! Hopeless is hopeless there is no other word for it oh jare!

I go pooh all my pikin abroad, maybe they will help do the contribution.

Oni ranu! angry
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Mmkgroup5(f): 4:42pm On Jan 14, 2018
@yeske go seat down for shit naija is useless country. There is cool cash oversea
Ezechinwa:
. My brother be honest, I am a nigerian but I'm not going to support my country when we are wrong!! If I may ask what rocks in 9ja? Boko haram? No light? No water? Mtn zap ur credit? Studying computer science but can't boost of a writing a program? Kidnapping? No job? Armed robbery? Ritualist? Exams like waec, jamb even degree exam you get to see the question a week b4 exam? Adults Fighting daily? Face me i face you? Daily generator usage? Should I rock your world more....? CALL A SPADE A SPADE!!! Even though abroad is hard one thing is sure with good grades and Good you get qualified on merits rather than man know man!
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by dav704(m): 10:03am On Feb 03, 2020
https://roundtripholidays.com.ng/5-best-things-to-consider-before-traveling-in-2020/

One of the ways to apply these 5 essential tips before traveling in 2020. We have to ensure that you have taken vaccines prescribed by the doctor to ensure your safety while on travel. For example, yellow fever card, to ensure you don’t fall sick while on the journey. You may also want to check if your insurance policy is a comprehensive one that can cover your while on vacation. Also, make sure your credit card work’s abroad in other to avoid been stranded.

2. Ensure get vaccinations and fill prescriptions…

3. Stock your wallet.

4. Buy travel insurance.

5. Always ensure your passport and vis are up to date

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Journey To The UK / Ozuma Bridge In Okene Collapses A Week After Yahaya Bello Constructed It (photo) / Lagos At Night..captivating pictures of a city on the rise.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.