Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,342 members, 7,808,205 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria (34398 Views)

Website Designing, Development & Training / Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing / Teach Me Everything About Web Development In 3months And Name Your Price!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by tinkinfela(m): 6:49pm On Jun 09, 2012
Most Nigerian web designers are amateurs lol.. I just laugh when I look at some of these guys portfolios and the wacky websites they claimed to have built.

Besides 90% of them steal web templates and can't build shit from crash. I actually know one guy that'll build a complete website for you for N5000 lolol

If you want to make in the business, take your time to learn the skills, be original, colors really matters. Don't use green all over because it's made in Nigeria (e.g naijapals)

Personally, I would advice anyone that wants to learning web development to learn Ruby on Rails.. both for static and dynamic pages.

2 Likes

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by damola1: 6:52pm On Jun 09, 2012
How many of you have built a web based profitable venture?..

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by brabus(m): 6:55pm On Jun 09, 2012
Great testimonies! Looking forward to a thread where you guys can showcase your works.
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by mrman2(m): 6:57pm On Jun 09, 2012
i might just consider this. Can anybody please furnish me with more info? Is it something i can do the side?
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by tpia5: 6:57pm On Jun 09, 2012
yea, let's see samples.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by yamakuza: 7:00pm On Jun 09, 2012
tpia@:
yea, let's see samples.

yea! I wanna see the N20m website too.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jun 09, 2012
tinkinfela: Most Nigerian web designers are amateurs lol.. I just laugh when I look at some of these guys portfolios and the wacky websites they claimed to have built.

Besides 90% of them steal web templates and can't build shit from crash. I actually know one guy that'll build a complete website for you for N5000 lolol

If you want to make in the business, take your time to learn the skills, be original, colors really matters. Don't use green all over because it's made in Nigeria (e.g naijapals)

Personally, I would advice anyone that wants to learning web development to learn Ruby on Rails.. both for static and dynamic pages.
what makes you think they steal templates? firstly Creative designers steal(norm) embellish it with creativity.. when you get recognized and you've got lots of clients that wants their website done, tell me are you going to build from scratch? ODE ... cuz you learnt few syntax on ruby you de yarn dust.

8 Likes

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by philip0906(m): 7:07pm On Jun 09, 2012
how d'u guyz survive with wordpress making it possible 4 every dyck and harry to design a website? I remember a friend telling me 2 pay him 160k to design a business site but with wordpress? history grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by mbhs139(m): 7:11pm On Jun 09, 2012
Who I Go Ask?:
It's all about how well you package your self/company. (Do the following and you will make at least a million naira (sales) in your first year. (if you are good as you think.) PS: some Tech personnel sucks at marketing. So you can form a partnership with a non tech person

1. You MUST have a website where you showcase your recent works and the services you offer
2. You should register your company and open a company/corporate account with a bank.
3. You should use WE often instead of I, even if it's a one man business. Say stuff like our technical team will..., our sales rep will... , our Legal adviser will...,
4. Predesign some websites eg for churches, schools (SMS), Dating site, e-commerce etc.
Prepare a proposal and try to sell one of your products eg. SMS to a school., Dating site to some school guy, church site to a new generation church, etc
Also when trying to pitch a sale, go with a lady and yourself (or a guy if you are a lady) and dress corporate.
5. After few installations, use words like ' we just complete Example High School's website..., people tend to buy when they see their competition buying.
6. Do some cheap/free jobs at first to promote your brand.
7. ALWAYS deliver quality even if they are paying less
8. Innovate or Die (IT rule- currently killing yahoo, growing google,)
9. Use/Learn SMM social media marketing. You dont need google ads, you need SMM
10. to be contd. typing on phone aint easy.

I like your post. It makes a lot of sense and I'm already working towards that line of action. By the way, how long can one go with a drag and drop web site builder without knowledge in html coding. I'm currently using a drag and drop web builder and it is working fine for me though, but i wont know it shorts comings. Thanks bro. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by tuaregx(m): 7:12pm On Jun 09, 2012
Am a web designer and have made some hundreds if thousands but the problem am facing is some comapnies have spoilt the reputation if web designers due to their lack if honesty and credibilty in the industry...also u submit a proposal to build a professioinal site then some touts come around and offer to build the site for 20k when u quoted 200k and above...it spoils business
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by emyguz(m): 7:13pm On Jun 09, 2012
One thing I need as a greenhorn blogger is the knowledge of writing HTML codes on my blog. I need someone to mentor me.
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jun 09, 2012
Interesting. . . .
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by AFOLS: 7:15pm On Jun 09, 2012
Hey peep, it is very simple.
If God is not leading you to website design, you are just wasting your time.
For me, God has been kind to me.
Came back frm training just one week, one A4 size poster in a plaza, satellite town and one big contract.
Na just baba God.
I know pple who have been struggling too.

3 Likes

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by Timileyin(m): 7:15pm On Jun 09, 2012
*dhtml:

Madre de dios! Ladrone!! Stop thieving my line!!!

@topic: i am at least able to stop going to cyber cafe to browse! That is an achievement too nao!!

lol, we have to be carefully the language we use so as not to steal ur line. caramba!
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by bigx(m): 7:15pm On Jun 09, 2012
tpia@:
i dont know if it should be something you rely on as a sole source of income.

Believe me, done properly, it can feed a family well.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 09, 2012
tuaregx: Am a web designer and have made some hundreds if thousands but the problem am facing is some comapnies have spoilt the reputation if web designers due to their lack if honesty and credibilty in the industry...also u submit a proposal to build a professioinal site then some touts come around and offer to build the site for 20k when u quoted 200k and above...it spoils business

lolz
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by damilola15: 7:16pm On Jun 09, 2012
People hear Mr. A made millions by using motor cycle for commercial purpose, so others go get one. Some hear you can make money by owning or building websites, so others start without knowing much of the rudiments.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by Timileyin(m): 7:23pm On Jun 09, 2012
tinkinfela: Most Nigerian web designers are amateurs lol.. I just laugh when I look at some of these guys portfolios and the wacky websites they claimed to have built.

Web design are is not a product, You negotiate for value. Dont ever say Niger developers are not good. When they are well paid they do cool jobs
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by leffects(m): 7:25pm On Jun 09, 2012
Those who kill the business the most are those who design at a very low cost.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jun 09, 2012
Timileyin:
Web design are is not a product, You negotiate for value. Dont ever say Niger developers are not good. When they are well paid they do cool jobs
no mind the guy, e no get head..
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by bigx(m): 7:31pm On Jun 09, 2012
damola1: How many of you have built a web based profitable venture?..

Believe me, some of the hosting and Bulk sms websites you see around make millions on a monthly basis. I can vouch for that as I've seen it firsthand.
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by tinkinfela(m): 7:31pm On Jun 09, 2012
sheyie2007: what makes you think they steal templates? firstly Creative designers steal(norm) embellish it with creativity.. when you get recognized and you've got lots of clients that wants their website done, tell me are you going to build from scratch? ODE ... cuz you learnt few syntax on ruby you de yarn dust.

I don touch person nerve.. see this mumu... how can u be recognized when u lack originality.. its this kind of mentality thats probably hindering ur success in the business.

Thought I would share this for those who need inspiration

http://webdesignledger.com/inspiration/50-green-web-designs-to-inspire-you

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by Timileyin(m): 7:34pm On Jun 09, 2012
nikky5: I am just the luckiest and I give all the glory to God.I learnt this skill all alone at home barely 2 years ago.Last December I bought a house in Lagos with the proceed from a site.I do it as a part time biz but am an aggressive marketer.Prayer and hardwork is just the magic wand.

Lets see the job abeg if its true.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by Timileyin(m): 7:36pm On Jun 09, 2012
Well Web Development bought me my first car as a student at 23

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by bigx(m): 7:37pm On Jun 09, 2012
tuaregx: Am a web designer and have made some hundreds if thousands but the problem am facing is some comapnies have spoilt the reputation if web designers due to their lack if honesty and credibilty in the industry...also u submit a proposal to build a professioinal site then some touts come around and offer to build the site for 20k when u quoted 200k and above...it spoils business

Simply your braanding, and show them how what your building for them can make them extra money
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by quadrillio(m): 7:37pm On Jun 09, 2012
People now call me MR. Quadrillion. #AllNahAr'chief'ment.

But serious, this question is funny. EVERY OCCUPATION is good n you can be successfull. 1) study 2) understand 3)focus 4) determine 5)Pray. The rest is history. Btw, I dont have a success story cos, I'm d story myself

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 09, 2012
tinkinfela:

I don touch person nerve.. see this mumu... how can u be recognized when u lack originality.. its this kind of mentality thats probably hindering ur success in the business.

nwanne, you don't know me..pls come to cape town and let me coach you. i only need to see your best work.. i'll provide mine on demand.
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by chiefkpokp(m): 7:41pm On Jun 09, 2012
sheyie2007 You too dey make noise, people like you naim go dey criticise drag and drop, but them non no say na u do ham pass!! wat a labbish... tell me all this knowledge of webdesign, God bring ham come from heaven land ham for ur brain? NOn be learn u learn ham too? definitely if not video tutorial,atlease u go read ebook, all this things when u know, non be person do ham before u? So if you self don dey do wetin the person do, non be steal you dey steal him creativity so? U come here come talk rubbish about steal steal....
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 09, 2012
tinkinfela:

it's quite obvious that you're just learning..
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 09, 2012
chiefkpokp: sheyie2007 You too dey make noise, people like you naim go dey criticise drag and drop, but them non no say na u do ham pass!! wat a labbish... tell me all this knowledge of webdesign, God bring ham come from heaven land ham for ur brain? NOn be learn u learn ham too? definitely if not video tutorial,atlease u go read ebook, all this things when u know, non be person do ham before u? So if you self don dey do wetin the person do, non be steal you dey steal him creativity so? U come here come talk rubbish about steal steal....
I try not to comment on posts on NL because of people that hold mentality like yours. you know nadah!
Re: The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria by brabus(m): 7:48pm On Jun 09, 2012
Webmasters, showcase your projects here

Let's see what you've got!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

As Sex Takes Over Nollywood: A Night With A Star Exposes / 30 Most Visited Websites In Nigeria / 13 Most Influential Websites In Nigeria And Their Founders - Factsbyjosh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.