Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,038 members, 7,799,524 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? (19368 Views)

Poll: Has your generator ever damaged your mobile phone?

Yes: 42% (3 votes)
No: 57% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It / How To Charge Your Blackberry Without A Charger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by naijacutee(f): 8:11pm On Nov 20, 2007
Hello everyone,

I was in Nigeria earlier this year, and I used a generator to power my laptop, and it damaged my laptop. I was wondering if the same happened to mobile phones -- Has anyone here ever had their phones damaged by charging it with the generator?
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by Seun(m): 8:16pm On Nov 20, 2007
Question: What part of your laptop did your generator damage?
Hint: Anything but "power pack"("charger) is a wrong answer.

The same logic should applies to phones. Good luck charging wink
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 8:54pm On Nov 20, 2007
Same wit f0nez 'c0s d frequency aint stable
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by naijacutee(f): 11:17pm On Nov 20, 2007
Seun:

Question: What part of your laptop did your generator damage?
Hint: Anything but "power pack"("charger) is a wrong answer.

The same logic should applies to phones. Good luck charging wink

The generator damaged my visual display but since phones are different devices altogether, some parts might be more susceptible to damage than others - no?
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 11:40pm On Nov 20, 2007
I must state dt it dpends 0n d "type" of d generator , talkn abt f0nez , d type of circuit in d f0ne matterz a lot e.g if there'z a fuse s0mwhere between d voltage input (d supply 4rm d charger) & d chargn ic or pwr ic .d w0rst dt wuld happen(witnessd b4) is d fuse gettn blown & sumtyms d induct0r to0 gets afectd & dis disc0ntinues d circuit thereby pr0tectn ur f0ne (ab0ve statd m0stly 4 Nokia)
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 11:57pm On Nov 20, 2007
As 4 other brands, m0st of them sh0w n0 negativ rxnz to generat0rz. . .and 4 s0me it afects d bat3s 0nly & 4 th0se unlucky f0nez dt hav m0st of their c0mp0nents stufd in 0ne chip & g0t n0 fuse,they get fried ! bt u culd gt lucky if d chrgr dies 1st Pers0naly n0ne of m f0nez has, c0s I'd rather leav m f0ne dead than chrg wt a genertr & if I must,I'd use a dskt0p chrgr also @ risk of bat3 damage
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by EKENEA(m): 7:35am On Nov 21, 2007
It depends on type of gen set, there is what we call AVR (automatic voltage regulator),not all gen set come with this, and it regulates the voltage output from the gen set, gen products like tiger,some honda of 2 kva down ways, some yamaha also a lot of china gen set, do not have AVR.
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by naijacutee(f): 11:28am On Nov 21, 2007
So if I can't afford a generator with AVR, is it better to leave my phone dead than to risk it? undecided
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by coopedro(m): 11:38am On Nov 21, 2007
When ur fone has gotten to it's wit end, it does not matter what, where and how it is been charged.

No harn charging ur fone wit a gen set. Provided it produces normal voltage.

I have charged my phone wit Power holding voltage yet it's memory was blank the next morning.

So charge ur fone wit watsoever available power. No harm.
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by coopedro(m): 11:40am On Nov 21, 2007
When ur fone has gotten to it's wit end, it does not matter what, where and how it is been charged.

No harm charging ur fone wit a gen set. Provided it produces normal voltage.

I have charged my phone wit Power holding voltage yet it's memory went blank the next morning.

So charge ur fone wit watsoever available power. No harm.
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 12:14pm On Nov 21, 2007
naijacutee, . . .safety 1st ==> Safer dead !
Reminds me of James Hadley Chase cool I'm nt sayn u cant risk it .bt n0t to0 often
coo_pedro, itz ur ch0ice grin
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by EKENEA(m): 12:29pm On Nov 21, 2007
Its very very possible that NEPA light damage you phone, it might be that you have low voltage and high amperage,due to maybe problem with transformer or power lines, or fluctuation of voltage due welder nearby constantly using their welding machine etc, its all your choice.
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by nazzyon(m): 12:37pm On Nov 21, 2007
combination of these 2 solves the problem. get a step down transformer and a stabilizer. it works with any device. u can use the step down alone but stab is just addititional protection to regulate the in-flow coming.
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by anusule(m): 9:04pm On Nov 21, 2007
wats a generator?

oh sorry, i forgot about it.
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 9:32pm On Nov 21, 2007
.nazzyon . .tnx 4 info n enlightenment. . . .bt is there a way 2 kn0w if a gen set has AVS 4 SURE ??
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by Emeka72(m): 10:17am On Nov 22, 2007
I think generator damages only the charger ie if it is all this fake chargers that was not provided by the phone but original chargers accompanying phones can stand the generator.
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 10:23am On Nov 22, 2007
Emeka, 0nly chargerz?? 100% Wr0nG !! .u can say u havnt xperiencd it. .bt 2 say 0nly chargerz. Nah !
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by Emeka72(m): 11:30am On Nov 23, 2007
Ok I think I will accepy the fact that I havn't experinced it
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by naijacutee(f): 4:13pm On Nov 23, 2007
But the original chargers that came with the phone were spoilt in the first place, hence forcing people to buy fakes. . . which would still get spoilt. Which boils back down to the generator.
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 4:33pm On Nov 23, 2007
I tink nazyy0n's ab0ve statd c0mbinatn is d best!
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by noel76(m): 2:48pm On Nov 25, 2007
@emeka7 i think i quite agree wit u. u will agree wit me dat most of the phones accessory we hav in naija are 99% from china which makes them fake so if ur charger cannot wit stand the current from ur gen set it could blow up and possible transfer same current to ur phone bt wen u use and original nfactory tested charger, this cannot happen and even if it does it will only afect the charger and cut out the flow of current and even the so called stabilizers we have in our market are they not all assembled here in nigeria so how well do they protect our house hold appliances.
Anyway, i have been using gen both lister and 5.0 kva honda petrol engine to charge my phone bt hav not experience any of such problems apart from the power pack to my printer that got blew up sum 3 mts ago suspected a power fluctuation from the gen set then. But then i hav been charging my phone wit the use a gen set for the past 6yrs or so hav not experience any prob.
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by topeteadr(m): 5:04pm On Nov 25, 2007
Generator is my primary source of charging any of my components.
Phcn fcu!<s up like sh*t.
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 5:50pm On Nov 25, 2007
I didnt rule out generat0rz. . . . . . .bt we all knw dt generat0rz get levelz cool
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 5:52pm On Nov 25, 2007
"I beta pass my neighb0ur"generat0rz different 4rm "I str0ng pass N.E.P.A" generat0rz. . . . . grin
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by sect(m): 10:02pm On Nov 25, 2007
I charge my phone with anything that produces current, nepa_phcn_gen_solar_car battery_dry cell_ups_kainji dam_ anything shaaa
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by ilolyda(m): 10:46pm On Nov 25, 2007
Gen converts ac 2 dc,but not all ac.Uncoverted ac forms 'ripples' on d terminals of d battery;destroyin d bat steadily and affectin d fone's terminal!I charge my fone wit any available power,even biogas lol
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 7:22am On Nov 26, 2007
sect. . .w0w ! even kainji ! .hahaha .then ur bat3 neva runs d0wn
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by hayprof(m): 8:01am On Nov 26, 2007
I have Learnt that Chanrging Mobile Phones with a Generating Set Depriciates the Life 0f the BatterY wink
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 8:26am On Nov 26, 2007
quite true
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by naijacutee(f): 9:59am On Nov 27, 2007
Hmmm. . . Maybe I was using a i-better-pass-my-neighbour generator! How much do i-strong-pass-nepa generators cost,a nd if they damage my phone, can I sue you?
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by dragnet: 11:43am On Nov 27, 2007
naijacutee, "sue you" huh? . .why wuld u wnt 2 do dt? I cnt remembr sayn "I'm selln"
.bt if u say "sue them" .well I'd say u g0t d right to do such. .bt u must also be prepard 2 "waStE" s0me time in d pr0ceSs
Re: Is It Safe To Charge Your Phone Using Your Generator? by EKENEA(m): 2:02pm On Nov 27, 2007
NAIJACUTEE========== are you a Nigerian, I want to tell you that you will waste a lot of money and time in the process and bro don't think of it, because it will never work unless you are ( a trouble maker) ready to waste your time.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Check MTN Share Data / What Is Hotknot And How To Share Files Via Hotknot? / FG/NCC Directive: Has Your Phone Number Been Barred??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.