Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,829 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:37 PM

Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation (30654 Views)

Lagos Cleared 2007 Toyota Corolla Sport For Sale.....with VIN Report / 2008 Toyota Highlander (Navigation System, Dvd, 3rd Row, Vin Report) / Bmw 5-series 528i (with Vin Report and pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 10:35pm On May 30, 2012
[b]it is Important to Check a Vehicles History Before Purchase these days, Most times Most of Us Dont Understand the Meaning of the Terms used in these Reports, We Shall Chronicle the Detailed meanings of each term used in VIN Reports So we can Understand them better.

Every VIN Report contains important information that can impact your decision about a used vehicle.

There are many things a seller may not disclose to you, such as a salvage title, junk title or flood damage. Any of these and other issues can affect the safety, performance and even value of a used car.

To make it more difficult for you to learn a vehicle's history, crooked sellers may list the wrong VIN in an online vehicle posting or may not be willing to provide the VIN at all. Scam artists may also alter the vehicle's title documents to hide potential problems.

Use these tips to protect yourself from fraud as you shop for a used car:

1. Get the VIN from the seller or off of the vehicle itself. If the seller refuses to disclose the VIN, that could be a sign that they do not want you to learn the car's history.

2. Get the vehicle's history. Ask the seller for a Vehicle History Report. If the seller does not provide it, Bring the VIN Here on Nairaland

3. Confirm the vehicle's identity. Physically match the VIN provided by the seller to the VINs on the vehicle, the vehicle's title documents, and the CARFAX Report. If any of the VINs do not match, you may want to walk away from the deal.

[/b]

95% OF USED VEHICLES SHIPPED TO NIGERIA ARE TOTAL LOSS, SALVAGED JUNKS. BE INFORMED AND SAVE A LIFE.

4 Likes

Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 10:37pm On May 30, 2012
Locating the VIN

The VIN is located in a number of places on a car, but most commonly on the dashboard (you can see it through the windshield) and the driver's side door jamb sticker. On some vehicles the VIN is also placed on the engine, hood, and other parts.

The VIN may also appear on car titles, insurance policies, service records and police reports for the vehicle.

Vehicle History Information From VINs
Characters within a VIN indicate a vehicle's year, make, model, where it was manufactured, and more.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 10:42pm On May 30, 2012
JUNK TITLE

The Vehicle is Incapable of Safe Operation for use on roads or highways and has no resale value except as a source of parts or scrap, or the vehicle's owner has irreversable designated the Vehicle as a soirce of parts or scrap.

This vehicle shall NEVER be Registered.

Also known as Non-repairable, scrapped, or Destroyed.

BEWARE OF JUNK TITLE VEHICLES.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 10:48pm On May 30, 2012
SALVAGED - DAMAGE OR NOT SPECIFIED

Any Vehicle which has been wrecked, destroyed or damaged, to the extent that the total estimated or actual cost of parts and labor to rebuild or reconstruct the vehicle to its pre-accident condition and for legal operation on roads or highway exceeds a defined percentage of the retail value of the vehicle.

Salvage-Damage or Not Specified also includes any Vehicle to which an insurance company acquires ownership pursuant to a damage settlement, or any vehicle that the vehicle owner may wish to designate as a salvage vehicle by obtaining a salvage title, without regard to extent of the vehicle's damage or repairs, or any vehicle for which the jurisdiction cannot distinguish the reason the Vehicle was designated Salvage
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 10:49pm On May 30, 2012
COLLISION

Vehicle Damaged by Collision
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 10:52pm On May 30, 2012
REBUILT

The Vehicle previously branded "salvage" has passed anti-theft and safety Inspections to ensure the Vehicle was rebuilt to required standards.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 10:54pm On May 30, 2012
FLOOD DAMAGE

Vehicle Damaged by freshwater flood ( or it is unknown whether the damage was caused by freshwater or Salt Water).
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 10:59pm On May 30, 2012
LIEN REPORTED

Vehicle has a reported lien or outstanding loan through a lender or lenders
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 30, 2012
Inspired you are so correct, many people just buy cars without knowing the history of the car, and after few weeks or months of use the car state developing faults, some people will say it is normal for a car but the truth is that it is better you know the sickness you are having and solve it and also protect yourself and loves ones from the sickness than not knowing about it, dying and also leaving your loved ones behind to be attacked. what i am trying to say is that it is better to check the history of the car before buying it, despite the fact that i also check vin, i am not trying to advertise myself here but just to add to few things to what inspired wrote.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by stolenstone: 6:23am On May 31, 2012
Now thats some great stuffs Inspired posted up there! Thanks man!!! Mods this is a great piece of information suitable for wider read; front page wouldnt be a bad idea! Thnks
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 8:23am On May 31, 2012
RECOVERED THEFT

Vehicle is reported to have been previously stolen in eiher the US, Canada or Mexico and later recovered.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 8:24am On May 31, 2012
ACTUAL THEFT

Vehicle is reported to be an active theft in either the US, Canada, or Mexico.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 8:25am On May 31, 2012
TOTAL LOSS

Vehicle has been reported to be a Total Loss vehicle by an Insurance Company.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 8:27am On May 31, 2012
CRUSHED

The Frame or Chassis of the Vehicle has been crushed or otherwise destroyed so that it is physically Impossible to USE it in Constructing a vehicle.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 8:40am On May 31, 2012
TOTALED

A Vehicle that is declared a total loss by a jurisdiction or an insurer that is obligated to cover the loss or that the Insurer takes possession of or title to.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by BizBooks(m): 11:59am On May 31, 2012
In addition to the terms defined by Inspired, a VIN report may also include the term
"Repossessed". This indicates that the 'owner' is no longer able to make the agreed
installmental payment on the car causing the bank or lender to repossess it.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by fizzybaba(m): 12:23pm On May 31, 2012
Good
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by bebechuks: 1:54pm On May 31, 2012
That's nice. At least one will know the righr thing to do.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by busyowo(m): 3:42pm On May 31, 2012
Do an instant vehicle history check on our website and get the best out of your vehicle investment.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by Novice1(m): 4:03pm On May 31, 2012
Great work Inspired.

Fact is, to buy a blue title vehicle in the the US, import it into Nigeria and clear it paying all the legal dues, you cant sell that vehicle at prevaiing market prices and make a profit.

Additionally, some damaged/collision vehicles can be rebuilt to near-pristine situations.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 4:43pm On May 31, 2012
Novice1: Great work Inspired.

Fact is, to buy a blue title vehicle in the the US, import it into Nigeria and clear it paying all the legal dues, you cant sell that vehicle at prevaiing market prices and make a profit.

Additionally, some damaged/collision vehicles can be rebuilt to near-pristine situations.

Youre Right, But 95% Percent of the Time, These vehicles are Not Repaired to Standard before passed on to Unsuspecting Buyers, It happens Everyday.

The Cost of Parts and Labor to Repair these vehicles to SAFE Standards wont be worth the whole stress and Investment for an Average Nigerian Dealer, It wouldn't Be Worth it for the Insurance Company too and thats why they chose to Title it as Salvage.

An Honest Dealer/Seller Can Import a Clean title vehicle and Still make a Decent Profit, and thats why we are taking our Time to Inform BUYERS that Good and Safe cars dont come Cheap

1 Like

Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by Emperoh(m): 4:50pm On May 31, 2012
inspired_m:

Youre Right, But 99% Percent of the Time, These vehicles are Not Repaired to Standard before passed on to Unsuspecting Buyers, It happens Everyday.

The Cost of Parts and Labor to Repair these vehicles to SAFE Standards wont be worth the whole stress and Investment for an Average Nigerian Dealer.

An Honest Dealer/Seller Can Import a Clean title vehicle and Still make a Decent Profit, and thats why we are taking our Time to Inform BUYERS that Good and Safe cars dont come Cheap

I bet you, the most annoying of your last sentence is when people compare apples and oranges.
Statements like, 'is it not the same car someone is offering me for 2m, it should even be cheaper pre-ordering'.
I feel like smacking clients who make statements above. . . . it reeks of ignorance. But we will keep advising.
Big up man!!

2 Likes

Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by Emperoh(m): 4:51pm On May 31, 2012
Novice1: Great work Inspired.

Some examples coming up shortly grin
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by inspiredm(m): 4:59pm On May 31, 2012
Emperoh:

I bet you, the most annoying of your last sentence is when people compare apples and oranges.
Statements like, 'is it not the same car someone is offering me for 2m, it should even be cheaper pre-ordering'.
I feel like smacking clients who make statements above. . . . it reeks of ignorance. But we will keep advising.
Big up man!!

You're Right Bro, Buyers are Part of the Problems sometimes, Everyone wants a Cheap Deal.

Some Salvage Vehicles can also still Be a Good Buy, if it's a Rear Impact and doesn't affect the Drive Train of the Vehicle in anyway and theres no Frame Damage.

When BUYERS want to Compare Prices, they should compare Clean title Cars alike and same for Salvaged Accident vehicles, Dont expect to Buy Both for Same Price.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by Nancy42(m): 7:22pm On May 31, 2012
hello inspired hw u doin. I want 2 commend u 4 d gud wrks u hve being doin hia on nairaland could u pls help me get d car details of dis vehicle with VIN no 4S2CK58W424313730. And if its possible can u send d report 2 dis emai add temeka42 @gmail.com. Luking foward 2 hia 4rm u
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by Sprumbaba: 8:45pm On May 31, 2012
Hello Inspired,

please I need your email. I have something important to share with you. I can call you as well.
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by bizybrain(m): 9:08am On Jun 01, 2012
One of the reasons I love Nairaland very enlightening
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by johnwell(m): 11:34am On Jun 01, 2012
VIN check is mandatory
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by velo10: 4:11pm On Jun 01, 2012
I would follow this precaution on my next choice
Re: Understanding A VIN Report: A Detailed Explanation by Atiyori: 5:54pm On Jun 01, 2012
Inspired m,

Pls could you send you email contact to atiyori@yahoo.com

Thanks.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mercedes-Benz CLS Models Of Your Choice**Fhemmmy Has Come Again - COME $ GET 1** / AUTO KEYS AND REMOTE / List Of Nice And Cool Cars At The Best Rate U Can Think Off: Checkout Dis List:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.