Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,943 members, 7,803,091 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? (29670 Views)

PDP Raises Rallying Cry - Says PMB Not Equipped To Lead In A Democracy / No Pictures Of Aso Rock / Why Are There No Pictures Of Aso Rock On The Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by ypzilanti: 7:43am On May 31, 2012
Aso Rock is a National Monument. It does not belong to the president or his ministers yet we have continued in the military tradition of not having pictures of this national symbol as a symbol of pride just as the National Assembly building.

The executive is a third arm of the government and separation of powers implys that no arm of government is greater than the other. Why the serecy with the symbol of that arm of government if not as a remenant if the oppressive military regimes that assumed absolute powers. This secrecy does not cover National assembly building or Supreme Court.

I'm not saying that anyone should be allowed access into the building, but it a national Symbol and should be promoted as such.

Nigeria is the only country in the world that its citizens do not know what the presidential residence looks like. If pictures of the presidential bulding would result in security breach, the White House would have been bombed serverally by now. On the contrary, the white house is accessible to United States citizens as a simple house on the street where tourists come and snap pictures with police officers. The same in Ghana next door.

2 Likes

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by werepeLeri: 7:50am On May 31, 2012
Blame it on GEJ.
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by kodewrita(m): 9:21am On May 31, 2012
You are just making me more pissed off at my country.

Was driving in ABJ near Aso Rock and we ended up having to stop and turn back. Why because GEJ wanted to go out and the SSS/Security decided to shutdown the highway for 30-something minutes prior. Same way they shut the airspace because he wants to take off from an airport.

And little regional miscreants called governor's convoys will push you off the road so their capo can pass.

Such an irritating country.

8 Likes

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by ypzilanti: 10:06am On May 31, 2012
kodewrita: You are just making me more pissed off at my country.

Was driving in ABJ near Aso Rock and we ended up having to stop and turn back. Why because GEJ wanted to go out and the SSS/Security decided to shutdown the highway for 30-something minutes prior. Same way they shut the airspace because he wants to take off from an airport.

And little regional miscreants called governor's convoys will push you off the road so their capo can pass.

Such an irritating country.

My fellow citizen, the level of awareness of our rights is very low in this country.

Do you know why the police and politicians are always afriad of dealing with lawyers? lawyers do not have guns to fight the police with, but they know thier rights and have a strong union that will fight for its members.

Nigerian politicians and the police trample on our rights because they know most of us do not know our rights and our fellow citizens will not fight for us when our rights are trampled on.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by inspirenet: 10:32am On May 31, 2012
Thats true
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by dirifred(m): 11:02am On May 31, 2012
This Country you mentioned, are having the same security issues as we have? well until we are able to switch from force to intelligence protection we just have what we have now. if you informed on the rate at which this Boko Boys are making efforts you will understand with them a little
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by ypzilanti: 11:15am On May 31, 2012
dirifred: This Country you mentioned, are having the same security issues as we have? well until we are able to switch from force to intelligence protection we just have what we have now. if you informed on the rate at which this Boko Boys are making efforts you will understand with them a little

Is Boko Haram going to bomb a picture of Aso Rock? Have they succeeded in bombing the national assembly which has people visiting everyday? It's all paranoia and mitary mentality.Even before Boko Haram, former presidents did not see it worthy to demystify the Presidential residence.

2 Likes

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by ijigbamigb(m): 11:18am On May 31, 2012
@op
Thanks for postn this thread...
For around 2 years now, I have being trying to get just a snapshot of the Presidential Villa (ASO ROCK). I have also held conversations with many security personnel (SSS precisely) and all they say is, no one is allowed to take pictures of ASO ROCK for security reasons, this to me is an embarrassment to the learned people of Nigeria. I just wish to see it...Nothing More, JUST TO SEEEE shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked ... Though I've heard different stories about how it looks. Oga OOO...

This is not GEJ fault this time but

2 Likes

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by ijigbamigb(m): 11:18am On May 31, 2012
@op
For around 2 years now, I have being trying to get just a snapshot of the Presidential Villa (ASO ROCK). I have also held conversations with many security personnel (SSS precisely) and all they say is, no one is allowed to take pictures of ASO ROCK for security reasons, this to me is an embarrassment to the learned people of Nigeria. I just wish to see it...Nothing More, JUST TO SEEEE shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked ... Though I've heard different stories about how it looks. Oga OOO...

This is not GEJ fault this time but...

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by ijigbamigb(m): 11:19am On May 31, 2012
@op

This is not GEJ fault this time but that of our private media bodies which i think should be front for such issues...ABI?

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by nateevs(m): 11:24am On May 31, 2012
I tell you what. I have an idea. While we are changing names of everywhere and everything, why don't we just change Aso Rock to Jonathan Rock?
I mean it's just a name-change.
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by Nobody: 11:42am On May 31, 2012
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by ypzilanti: 12:06pm On May 31, 2012
ijigbamigb: @op

This is not GEJ fault this time but that of our private media bodies which i think should be front for such issues...ABI?

Ehyaaa! I feel your pain. It pains me too oh! I wish I had remembered to post this on the so called Democracy day. Celebrating what we dont have.

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 12:25pm On May 31, 2012
State House Marina should be open to the public. I took some pics of State House Dodan Barracks, but deleted them. Will try to take more.

Below: President Olusegun Obasanjo and US first lady Laura Bush @ State House, The Aso Rock Villa.

1 Share

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 12:32pm On May 31, 2012
Council Chambers, State House, The Aso Rock Villa.

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 12:34pm On May 31, 2012
President's office, State House, The Aso Rock Villa, Abuja.

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 12:37pm On May 31, 2012
Here's the 2011 thread https://www.nairaland.com/724445/anyone-here-seen-aso-rock There's an older thread, but I just can't remember/find it.
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 12:44pm On May 31, 2012
Inside the Council Chambers, State House, The Aso Rock Villa.

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 12:50pm On May 31, 2012
Gate

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by Ikengawo: 12:51pm On May 31, 2012
1. there's pictures
2. in such an insecure country, if they allowed anyone in freely you people would complain that they're incompetent and poor on security.

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 12:54pm On May 31, 2012
Justice Akinola Aguda House.

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 1:00pm On May 31, 2012
State House Marina is a mansion in a compound. If you take a walk down Marina Street, heading towards Ikoyi, you would come across State House Marina (across the road from NET Building), then Lagos House Marina (residence of the Lagos State Governor), then Flag Staff House (Lagos residence of the Chief of Army Staff, it used to be the Prime Ministers residence, I.e. Balewa was kidnapped from that house), and then, across the road is the former residence of the finance minister (where Okotie Eboh was kidnapped).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 1:12pm On May 31, 2012
State House Ribadu Road used to be the official residence of the minister of defence (Mallam Ribadu). It is beside the Federal Guards (Dodan) Barracks.

However, General Gowon felt that State House Marina was not safe/did not offer enough security (there were rumours that Major General Ironsi used to cross the Marina and sleep aboard a navy gunboat every night). He therefore mandated Joseph Garba to find a suitable residence for the Head of State/Supreme Commander.

Joe Garba decided that State House Ribadu Road would be a suitable residence. Parts of Ribadu Road were blocked off (Ribadu Road used to link Awolowo Road to Ikoyi Road) and the compound expanded. The name was changed to State House Dodan Barracks (although it is not located in Dodan Barracks).

Unlike State House Marina, which is a mansion, Dodan Barracks is a complex that contains the president's residence, office block, council chambers, press centre, etc.

Dodan is the name of a place in Burma where Nigerian soldiers died while making a last stand.

5 Likes

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by nateevs(m): 1:17pm On May 31, 2012
Naptu2

Have you very well verified that it is legal for you to do this?

2 Likes

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by Mcleo007(m): 2:42pm On May 31, 2012
Another ugly chain of facts about Nigeria. Indeed, this country is nothing short of a cesspit. Its very origins will soon come crashing; only the enlightened ones might saved. Chagrins everywhere! embarassedAnother ugly chain of facts about Nigeria. Indeed, this country is nothing short of a cesspit. Its very origins will soon come crashing; only the enlightened ones might saved. Chagrins everywhere!
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by ijigbamigb(m): 3:14pm On May 31, 2012
BUT WHY DOES OUR FGN HOUSES LOOK LIKE THEY WERE BUILT BY ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALISTS. THEY ALL LOOK LIKE MOSQUES TO ME...(ABI NA MY EYE DEY SEE RUBBISH?)

2 Likes

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by ypzilanti: 3:14pm On May 31, 2012
naptu2: State House Marina is a mansion in a compound. If you take a walk down Marina Street, heading towards Ikoyi, you would come across State House Marina (across the road from NET Building), then Lagos House Marina (residence of the Lagos State Governor), then Flag Staff House (Lagos residence of the Chief of Army Staff, it used to be the Prime Ministers residence, I.e. Balewa was kidnapped from that house), and then, across the road is the former residence of the finance minister (where Okotie Eboh was kidnapped).

So... the original founders of Nigeria thought it appropriate to have a simple well guarded house the appeared accessible to the people, but once the shenenigans of coup plots and corruption started, the leaders had to run away and hide from the people.

Im not putting words in your mouth...just reflecting on you informative post. Thanks for the information I knew about the state house marina, but thought it was for the premier of the south western region.

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by DisGuy: 3:33pm On May 31, 2012
some years ago i must have asked my uncle, how much it was to visit and how long the vetting period was thinking people were actually allowed in
abi as a student

na so so laugh e laugh me

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 4:21pm On May 31, 2012
Akinola Aguda House was the Abuja residence of the president between circa 1981-1991 (Justice Akinola Aguda was the chairman of the committee that selected Abuja as the new federal capital). President Shehu Shagari was at Aguda Lodge when Muhammadu Buhari staged his coup (Shagari said he went to Abuja for some peace and quiet/get away from politicians so that he could work on his budget speech).

In 1991, President Babangida moved the seat of government to Abuja and moved in to house 5 at the newly built Presidential Complex, Abuja (Aso Rock Villa).

Aguda House is sometimes used as the President's guest house (Queen Elizabeth stayed there when she visited Nigeria) and sometimes as the vice president's residence.

State House Marina is also sometimes used as the president's guest house. Jimmy Carter stayed there when he paid a state visit to Nigeria.
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 4:27pm On May 31, 2012
ypzilanti:

So... the original founders of Nigeria thought it appropriate to have a simple well guarded house the appeared accessible to the people, but once the shenenigans of coup plots and corruption started, the leaders had to run away and hide from the people.

Im not putting words in your mouth...just reflecting on you informative post. Thanks for the information I knew about the state house marina, but thought it was for the premier of the south western region.

Yes, this was at the beginning of the civil war and they felt that State House Marina was not safe. (By the way, the Western Region state house was in Ibadan).

My memory of the events I describe in this next paragraph is foggy, so forgive me for any mistakes. In 1979 journalists asked Nnamdi Azikiwe where he would live if he became president; State House Marina (where he lived between 1960-1966) or State House Dodan Barracks. Zik replied that it would be crazy to argue with a man holding a gun (interpreted to mean he'd rather live at Marina).
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 31, 2012
@ naptu2,
Thanks for the infos but are you an SSS officer or top level govt official?

Just wondering cos this is the first time am seeing online pictures of naijas supposedly "top secret" and invisible Aso Rock externally.
I thought its a crime hence the reason we don't see pictures on tv/dailies.

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 8:08pm On May 31, 2012
The state houses have been shown in the media many times, but people are usually too engrossed in the story to notice. Some examples.

1) President Babangida and other top government functionaries were usually interviewed in front of council chambers at Dodan Barracks. There was a famous/infamous moment when journalist almost prevented Babangida from getting into his car after a council meeting (I'm not going to write about the controversy, but those who watched it would remember).

2) When Halima was born, President Babangida was joking with journalists on the state house lawn (he was searching for the cartoonist that drew a picture of him holding a feeding bottle). You could see the houses in the background.

3) The bird flu crisis, when all the birds (including the peacocks and ostriches) at Aso Rock zoo were killed (they showed the zoo, etc).

4) Ministers are often interviewed in front of the council chambers at Aso Rock.

5) They often showed Obasanjo, Atiku, etc walking down the walkway above, when going from their offices to the council chambers.

6) The car park is often shown when visiting dignitaries (eg Tony Blair, ambassadors) inspect the guard of honour.

7) My favourite state house is state house marina and the exterior was shown on tv on each occasion when Margaret Thatcher, King Juan Carlos, Robert Mugabe visited Babangida. It was shown when David Cameron visited Jonathan and when Jonathan hosted the Nigeria @ 50 dinner.

8 ) There was an NTA news programme (forgotten what it's called) that had the presenter signing off while standing in front of the council chambers at Aso Rock.

9) On independence day a few years ago, Thisday newspapers published a huge picture of the council chambers at Aso Rock on its front page.

10) Newsline once showed Babangida working out at the gym at Dodan Barracks.

11) I believe everybody has seen footage of the council chambers, the president's office, the president's conference room and the vice president's conference room.

12) Chris Anyanwu had a short lived tv show. On an eppisode of the show she followed President Obasanjo around for two days. They showed the sitting room (where he has his morning fellowship) and even showed inside Nigeria 001 (also known as the presidential jet).

And there are many other examples.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FFK: El-Rufai Didn't Oppose Muslim-Muslim APC Ticket, Wanted Fashola Not Tinubu / Ben Bruce Slams Chude Jideonwo And Tolu Ogunlesi / Femi Fani-Kayode: Buhari Came To Steal, Kill & Destroy - FFK Replies Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.