Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,607 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes (37433 Views)

Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima / Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! / Catalyst System Effciency Below Threshold (bank 1) What Does It Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by MadameU: 11:03am On Jul 22, 2015
sorry Nissiparts my email is ragiftsolutions@yahoo.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 8:03am On Jul 23, 2015
MadameU:
hi Nissiparts please could you send me the document so i can try to digest all the info, In the time being i have a RX300 lexus 2000 model and the fuel economy is nothing to write home about, the car gulps petrol like hell, got to know from a mechanic that there isnt a catalyst in the exhuast system. Im so tired of this problem that i need to do something FAST. Whats your advice buy another exhaust? or buy the oxygen thingy you spoke about? please pardon me o.Help a desperate sister out!

Hello Madame and others with this misconception, let me state categorically that the absence of a catalytic converter DOES NOT result in poor fuel economy. The only way a catalytic converter affects fuel economy negatively is if it is present and clogged.

3 Likes

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 8:05am On Jul 23, 2015
arro:
I use hyundia santa fe 2004 3.5 L,v6 engine, i have issues with my manifold catalty converter, it was blocked but a panel bitter cleared it for me,i want to to replace it and i dont want to use the car untill its changed.i need help please.
U can mail me on:arrogroupsltd@gmail.com

Have you replaced it yet?
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 8:07am On Jul 23, 2015
The pics have been forwarded as requested.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by arro: 8:46pm On Jul 23, 2015
I've not changed it yet toooo
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by sako28: 10:32pm On Aug 10, 2015
Sir,I removed 1 bad catalyst from my Xterra 2005 V6 Suv recently. The performance is good but notice high noise when i fire it with power and the noise fade away as the gear transmit. Pls any idea on what i can do to reduce this noise. Or should i replace the bad catalyst.

Thank you for ur time and help.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 10:35am On Aug 11, 2015
Are you saying you only observed the noise after removing the catalytic converter??
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by sako28: 9:37pm On Aug 11, 2015
nissparts:
Are you saying you only observed the noise after removing the catalytic converter??

Yes after removing. Before removing the car was not moving.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 8:57am On Aug 12, 2015
sako28:

Yes after removing. Before removing the car was not moving.

Why was only one removed?
If it had gotten so clogged that the car was not moving before the removal, I hope you also checked the ignition coils.
They are usually affected as well.
Do you have any codes left?
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by eherbal(m): 11:32pm On Aug 12, 2015
debsty:
Hello nissparts,
Kindly send the pictoral procedure to debsty2001@yahoo.co.uk.
Thanks
me too. thanks .dbliss25@gmail.com grin
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by makarios911: 5:03am On Aug 21, 2015
nissparts:
If anyone needs a pictorial description of this process, drop your email and I'll send it to you. It's a word document with pictures and too heavy to upload here.

Gud morn bro.
Pls send the pictorial description to makariosnpeanut@gmail.com
Do u still hv spacers available?
How much is it.

07 camry i4 engine.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 16, 2015
Very informative. Keep up the good work
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 10:50am On Sep 16, 2015
Sent
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by viazi: 12:56am On Oct 23, 2015
Oga, kindly send to viaziconcepts@gmail.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by coolb(m): 9:04am On Oct 23, 2015
Gm could u pls inbox with Honda Accord 96.....tnx. adekunar3@gmail.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Godon1980: 7:10am On Jan 06, 2016
@Nissparts.. my RX 300 has similar issues and I have the changed the entire half of my Exhaust bt not the Catalyst as I was told it's still ok but it's just consuming fuel like a V12 engine. Pls is it the Catalyst foamy/net stuff in both pots that needs to be removed and the Oxygen sensor Spacer installed in both Sensors 1 and 2 or just one. Pls kindly send. the picture process description and how I can get the Spacers in Ikotun, Lagos. godwinonuka@yahoo.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Godon1980: 7:21am On Jan 06, 2016
Send to me o abeg. godwinonuka@yahoo.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by SEUNBOB: 4:37pm On Jan 06, 2016
Hi Nisspart.

I have a toyota corolla ce 2004 model that consumes alot of fuel. I buy full tank on monaday morning and it doesn't last till thursday evening and i work at VI and live at Ajah. I have colleagues with the same car who even reside after Ajah roundabout and their full tank last them for about 10 days. My mechanic has changed my catalyst but with all your detailed explanation on this thread, i just assumed that the catalyst was replaced with another bad tokunbo catalyst. Anyways, kindly give me your contact so that I can book an appointment. i know Iwaya very well so locating your garage shouldnt be difficult for me.

Best regards,
SEUNBOB.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by honmusa(m): 5:22pm On Jan 06, 2016
SEUNBOB:
Hi Nisspart.

I have a toyota corolla ce 2004 model that consumes alot of fuel. I buy full tank on monaday morning and it doesn't last till thursday evening and i work at VI and live at Ajah. I have colleagues with the same car who even reside after Ajah roundabout and their full tank last them for about 10 days. My mechanic has changed my catalyst but with all your detailed explanation on this thread, i just assumed that the catalyst was replaced with another bad tokunbo catalyst. Anyways, kindly give me your contact so that I can book an appointment. i know Iwaya very well so locating your garage shouldnt be difficult for me.

Best regards,
SEUNBOB.
why don't u take the effort of scanning your car first before concluding that u have faulty catalyst cos there alot of factors that can be responsible for poor fuel mileage.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by honmusa(m): 5:28pm On Jan 06, 2016
Godon1980:
@Nissparts.. my RX 300 has similar issues and I have the changed the entire half of my Exhaust bt not the Catalyst as I was told it's still ok but it's just consuming fuel like a V12 engine. Pls is it the Catalyst foamy/net stuff in both pots that needs to be removed and the Oxygen sensor Spacer installed in both Sensors 1 and 2 or just one. Pls kindly send. the picture process description and how I can get the Spacers in Ikotun, Lagos. godwinonuka@yahoo.com
Run a diagnotics on your car with the in a reputable workshop will pinpoint the particular issue responsible for poor fuel mileage .know the cause before throwing part to resolve issue.

1 Like

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by FullDepth1: 11:55pm On Jan 07, 2016
nissparts:
Continued:

When your vehicle has a catalyst issue, there are 2 alternative fixes

1. Replace the catalyst with a brand new unit(Note I said brand new unit. If you attempt a tokunbo replacement, you'll either get one which has been filled with the "ladipo" element in the exhaust pot or you'll get one fresh off a used vehicle which may have also failed as well)

2. Hollow out the exhaust pots and rid them completely of the foamy/netty substance inside them. Now because your car's computer has been programmed to accept a certain level of exhaust fumes to be detected by the monitoring o2 sensor, the consequent rush of exhaust fumes which it will detect in the absence of the foamy/netty substance will signal a red flag and you will get catalyst codes. Therefore to complete the fix, you must install an oxygen sensor spacer to limit the fumes seen by the monitoring o2 sensor. See attached. The spacer is screwed into the oxygen sensor before finally being screwed into the exhaust.

Whichever route you take out of the 2 options, a "self-learn reset" (google it) must be carried out to get maximum benefits from the repair.

Cheers

Good Fix.

But will this Help in Eliminating:-
1) The excessive Fuel Usage
2) The Excessive Oil Loss and
3) The Drab movement or Loss of Power
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by siempere(m): 10:43am On May 18, 2016
nissparts:
If anyone needs a pictorial description of this process, drop your email and I'll send it to you. It's a word document with pictures and too heavy to upload here.
pls send to siempere4u@yahoo.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by princemillla(m): 3:51am On May 19, 2016
Last message from nisspart was Sept 2015. Guess he is currently not around sad embarassed
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by honmusa(m): 6:27am On May 19, 2016
nissparts:
Continued:

When your vehicle has a catalyst issue, there are 2 alternative fixe

2. Hollow out the exhaust pots and rid them completely of the foamy/netty substance inside them. Now because your car's computer has been programmed to accept a certain level of exhaust fumes to be detected by the monitoring o2 sensor, the consequent rush of exhaust fumes which it will detect in the absence of the foamy/netty substance will signal a red flag and you will get catalyst codes. Therefore to complete the fix, you must install an oxygen sensor spacer to limit the fumes seen by the monitoring o2 sensor. See attached. The spacer is screwed into the oxygen sensor before finally being screwed into the exhaust.

Whichever route you take out of the 2 options, a "self-learn reset" (google it) must be carried out to get maximum benefits from the repair.

Cheers
Rubbish!!!!! iam sure you have never heard of back pressure effect before .No matter of well you deceive the computer,absence of catalyst will will not give the required back pressure and you car will still be consuming fuel .
if your catalyst is missing you replace with another catalyst.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by femi9naija(m): 3:10pm On Jul 02, 2016
Can i get the doc on legendak472000@yahoo.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 9:57pm On Jul 03, 2016
honmusa:

Rubbish!!!!! iam sure you have never heard of back pressure effect before .No matter of well you deceive the computer,absence of catalyst will will not give the required back pressure and you car will still be consuming fuel .
if your catalyst is missing you replace with another catalyst.

Loll!!!!
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Phunshe: 7:12am On Sep 12, 2016
Please I need oxygen sensor spacer. My email is olufunsoolaojo@yahoo.com.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by cecegorz(m): 2:39pm On Sep 13, 2016
nissparts:
Continued:

When your vehicle has a catalyst issue, there are 2 alternative fixes

1. Replace the catalyst with a brand new unit(Note I said brand new unit. If you attempt a tokunbo replacement, you'll either get one which has been filled with the "ladipo" element in the exhaust pot or you'll get one fresh off a used vehicle which may have also failed as well)

Cheers

Dude!
As we type now, I have a bill of over 100k waiting for me at the mechanic.
It happened that last Tuesday, the car all of a sudden started stalling with no prior incident, I managed it to the mechanic, with intermittent stop and starts on the way.
Mech swung into action after scanning, happened that the blocked cat has already created heated/broken valve, spark plugs, gaskets, distribution coil and all kinds of issues.
It took him about a week to dismantle all these and listed items for purchase and bill. I gave him 80k to commence work, on my way there now to get updates as he promised the car will be roaring back to life this evening.

I'm especially happy with the idea of using an O2 sensor spacer after hollowing out the cat and welding back as revealed in this thread. I'll discuss it with the Mech when I get there, as I can't imagine increasing fuel consumption at this critical time.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Durbaubal682: 10:35pm On Sep 14, 2016
Hello every one, how are you? smiley
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 11:03pm On Sep 14, 2016
cecegorz:

Dude!
As we type now, I have a bill of over 100k waiting for me at the mechanic.
It happened that last Tuesday, the car all of a sudden started stalling with no prior incident, I managed it to the mechanic, with intermittent stop and starts on the way.
Mech swung into action after scanning, happened that the blocked cat has already created heated/broken valve, spark plugs, gaskets, distribution coil and all kinds of issues.
It took him about a week to dismantle all these and listed items for purchase and bill. I gave him 80k to commence work, on my way there now to get updates as he promised the car will be roaring back to life this evening.

I'm especially happy with the idea of using an O2 sensor spacer after hollowing out the cat and welding back as revealed in this thread. I'll ldiscuss it with the Mech when I get there, as I can't imagine increasing fuel consumption at this critical time.

How far? Is it fixed?
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by muyannie: 11:52pm On Sep 16, 2016
Hello Nissparts, I have a Nissan Pathfinder 2005 SUV. No major issues, guzzles a lot of fuel (V6 wahala i guess), works just fine. 'Service Engine Soon' light came on recently and upon scanning it gave the following fault codes; P0420, P0430. My internet searches led me here. It doesn't jerk, no issues with hill climbing, accelerates easily, and guzzles fuel. What do you advise?
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by cecegorz(m): 3:04pm On Sep 17, 2016
nissparts:

How far? Is it fixed?

Sure bro. I gave a detailed account in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3350344/consequences-failed-catalytic-converters#49441966

You an take a look at the other components the damage affected as listed in the invoice.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Billionaire Dubai Man Demands For A Car More Expensive Than Most Expensive Car / ₦572m Volkner Mobil Motorhome That Comes With Hydraulic Supercar Garage / 30 Buses Waste At The International Cancer Centre (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.