Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,654 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? (5174 Views)

Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) / Operation Prove Your Programming Skills / Where To Go If You Need Programmers Or Advertise Your Programming Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jun 01, 2012
I need your advice...

I started learning programming three months ago. I have learnt python, but still struggle to solve some problems using codes angry. People say u need to be a good hacker as a programmer, I have never done this and badly want to venture into it too...How do I start? + what steps did you people actually follow to become very good programmers? what were the challenges you faced at first? Did you learn the languages yourselves? Please answer as many of my questions as possible. I love this thing and really want to improve. Thanks.
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by okeyxyz(m): 11:54pm On Jun 01, 2012
3 months only & u r already thinking of solving the world's problems? Ma guy abeg cool down, whoever's giving you advice definitely knows nothing about programming. Learning to program is a very slow process & there's no short cut about it. Don't stress urself, u r just starting, you still have many more months & years of hard labour ahead to build your skills, & in my opinion, just one language is not gonna cut it. U need to learn more languages so you can see the different perspectives of programming b4 u can gain enough confidence to "think in codes" & tackle irregular problems.
So, just have a drink & chill!!

PS: as @fayimora pointed out, stick to one for now, & get comfortable with it before venturing out to another language.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by Chimanet(m): 1:08am On Jun 02, 2012
very gud advise
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by bakenda(m): 7:14am On Jun 02, 2012
It seems you've made the important discovery that
programming is not all about knowing programming languages
but solving problems, rather than choke yourself with more
programming languages, i'll advise you develop your problem
solving skills (with the language you know already, later you
can learn more languages if you want to). The 'secret' is :
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Remember "Practice makes perfect";
look for projects to work on, if you get stuck, ask questions or
use google, you'll make mistakes but then that is part of the
learning process.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by Fayimora(m): 10:34am On Jun 02, 2012
okeyxyz: 3 months only & u r already thinking of solving the world's problems? Ma guy abeg cool down, whoever's giving you advice definitely knows nothing about programming. Learning to program is a very slow process & there's no short cut about it. Don't stress urself, u r just starting, you still have many more months & years of hard labour ahead to build your skills
[size=13pt]+100[/size]

okeyxyz: & in my opinion, just one language is not gonna cut it. U need to learn more languages so you can see the different perspectives of programming b4 u can gain enough confidence to "think in codes" & tackle irregular problems.
So, just have a drink & chill!!
Errr stick to one for now else you are bound to loose focus. You would know when you need to learn a new language.
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by Seun(m): 1:22pm On Jun 02, 2012
The best way to learn to code is to code. Build a very simple website with Python. Maybe a blog or a guestbook.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by okeyxyz(m): 1:52pm On Jun 02, 2012
Fayimora:
Errr stick to one for now else you are bound to loose focus. You would know when you need to learn a new language.

thanks, i forgot to say stick to one now, didn't mean learn everything now. cheesy
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by Seun(m): 2:30pm On Jun 02, 2012
It's not about how many languages you learn, but what you've built with the languages you know. Build something.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by okeyxyz(m): 2:46pm On Jun 02, 2012
Seun: It's not about how many languages you learn, but what you've built with the languages you know. Build something.

true, but doesn't mean you stick to one language alone. the reason there are so many languages is because each creator has a different philosophy & approach to programming, therefore going on to to create what he thinks is more effective or more efficient or both. So it helps if you understood some of these approaches, then you can compare them to your method & determine what works best in what environment\scenario, you can incorporate efficient methods from another paradigm which you have not discovered in your preferred language.
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 02, 2012
Thanks all for your advice. smiley
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by kodewrita(m): 8:14am On Jun 04, 2012
Dont subscribe to the hype.

master languages one at a time.

Master one by building something with it ( as Seun said) then you can start ranging all over the place.
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by ektbear: 11:05pm On Jun 04, 2012
1. Stick with one language, learn it well.
2. Read the source code of good programmers/well-written projects on Github.
3. Learn to document and test your code.
4. Solve programming puzzles.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by ektbear: 11:07pm On Jun 04, 2012
You made a great choice by picking Python btw.

It will accelerate your development as a programmer. Less time wasted on tedious details that don't matter that much.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by Nobody: 3:07am On Jun 05, 2012
ekt_bear: 1. Stick with one language, learn it well.
2. Read the source code of good programmers/well-written projects on Github.
3. Learn to document and test your code.
4. Solve programming puzzles.

Can you help me with any info about Github please?
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by ektbear: 4:02am On Jun 05, 2012
www.github.com.

Just browse for code there in your favorite language. Many major projects are hosted there.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by bawozo(m): 12:13am On Jun 12, 2012
chairman i really don't do much of advice but if i must say u really need to take it all about programming one step at a time cos it is as wide as the world u live in. the more u know the more u get confuse.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by Kobojunkie: 1:04pm On Jun 13, 2012
ekwah: I need your advice...

I started learning programming three months ago. I have learnt python, but still struggle to solve some problems using codes angry. People say u need to be a good hacker as a programmer, I have never done this and badly want to venture into it too...How do I start? + what steps did you people actually follow to become very good programmers? what were the challenges you faced at first? Did you learn the languages yourselves? Please answer as many of my questions as possible. I love this thing and really want to improve. Thanks.

https://www.nairaland.com/930302/2012-summer-code-time-code
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by samuelsam(m): 7:40am On Jun 15, 2012
Am a computer sci student of unizik, we have learn some programming lang like qbasic, fortran and c++ all is theory, and i dont know any, plz i need a person around onitsha, awka, enugu or asaba that can teach me programming well. Just tell me hw much it will cost me. Am a graphics designer and u can check out my facebook page www.facebook.com/advancegraphictech
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by xcitedjay(m): 1:33pm On Sep 12, 2012
bakenda: It seems you've made the important discovery that
programming is not all about knowing programming languages
but solving problems, rather than choke yourself with more
programming languages, i'll advise you develop your problem
solving skills (with the language you know already, later you
can learn more languages if you want to). The 'secret' is :
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Remember "Practice makes perfect";
look for projects to work on, if you get stuck, ask questions or
use google, you'll make mistakes but then that is part of the
learning process.

I agree with the above quoted. Also you can practise lots of programming puzzles from sites like codingbats, think of real life problems that you can solve by writing a program or rewriting programs written in other languages.
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by Dolapo93(m): 12:08am On Dec 08, 2012
No waste your time as you grow older by d day...join sites like codeacademy nd practise everyday nd you learn accordingly and read your fav programming lang books and most especially,join forums and participate....you will surely learn alot in less time

1 Like

Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by annahussy(f): 10:20am On Dec 10, 2012
I think you have to do practice more and more, also you have to stick with one language to learn it well. You have to learn programming language in detail with different sources and also get guideline from the expert.
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by oluwasodiq(m): 12:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
Am a novince programmer pls advice on wich programmin language 2 strt wit
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by Seun(m): 2:24pm On Dec 14, 2012
oluwasodiq: Am a novince programmer pls advice on wich programmin language 2 strt wit
Python 3.3: http://www.python.org/getit/releases/3.3.0/
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by ektbear: 11:20pm On Dec 15, 2012
http://www.spoj.com/

Lots of small programming challenges that you can solve in any language. A good way to improve your skills.
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by stryda(m): 8:09pm On Dec 19, 2012
first of all, there are things you need to be a programmer. you dont believe me? read this first. http://quadclover./2012/11/28/programmers-the-unsung-heroes/
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2012
Seun:
Python 3.3: http://www.python.org/getit/releases/3.3.0/
Uncle Seun why you like python well well please check this out www.guruswise.wapka.mobi
Re: How Do I Improve My Programming Skills? by madelinekim(m): 7:21am On Dec 22, 2012
First of all you have to do more and more practice to improve your programming skills. I also want to say that you have to join good classes for learn programming language.

(1) (Reply)

Free Csharp, Mvc, Jquery And More Tutorials Online / How Is The Code For A Calculator (hardware), Written Into It. / Pascal Program For Matrix Multiplication

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.