Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo (5645 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / The Culture Lounge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:45pm On Jul 14, 2012
ChinenyeN: He doesn't even know Isu, his own immediate neighbor south of him. Yet, he wants to spew drivel about those even further south of Isu. And some people are still wonder why others sometimes look at Anambra people a certain way.

Ok,you wont achieve much by throwing punches at the general Anambra populace....Anambra is a strong factor in Igbo history and her pride! Like I said earlier,Antivirus will get around..Daalu.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 6:50pm On Jul 14, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Ok,you wont achieve much by throwing punches at the general Anambra populace....Anambra is a strong factor in Igbo history and her pride! Like I said earlier,Antivirus will get around..Daalu.
I'm not throwing punches at anyone. I'm simply saying that it is people like Antivirus who keep on fueling the conception that others have of Anambra people. Nri Priest, you were nearly that same way (though not as bad), or have you forgotten?

And there are many more examples of this behavior from other people.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:06pm On Jul 14, 2012
ChinenyeN:
I'm not throwing punches at anyone. I'm simply saying that it is people like Antivirus who keep on fueling the conception that others have of Anambra people. Nri Priest, you were nearly that same way on this issue before, or have you forgotten?

Lol...nearly doesnt kill a bird dammit! I have always been a crusader for the unity of all Igbo...But we all have our flaws you included,Chinenye. When I joined nairaland I was specificlly attacking you because your adverse views towards the Igbo. I feel like you were doing more of tearing down than building of the Igbo unity. You will agree with me that you were divisive and unapollogetic about it. I have never intentionally talked down on my fellow Igbo.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 7:23pm On Jul 14, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

If you dont know about Aro or Isu you should research about them...There Aro settlers in Imo,Anambra and Ebonyi and so is Isu who also has communities in Anambra,Imo,Abia and Ebonyi. Hell,we even have Aro settlers in my hometown of UMUOJI in Idenmili north which is also an Nri decendants. About the language thing; Remember the adage "Igbo na asu na onu na onu mana akwaa ukwala obulu ofu".
Ekeneem gi.
ide nnaa kedu ije.i am from idemili north too and oraukwu to be precise.i haven't seen such people among us. But i didn't say that they exist not but i was just asking what language/culture/tradition they have prior to the igbo/eri. Igbo customs/tradition/language is credited to eri. Just like u said, maybe these people in umuoji came in a few number cos i don't see them outnumbering umunri in umuoji. Then they were influenced by the majority umunri of umuoji and they got igbonised. If u care to ask questions, u may be told that those people on they arrival refer to other umuoji people as umuigbo or nwa onye igbo cos they know that they aren't igbos . But with time they got igbonised.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 7:27pm On Jul 14, 2012
I can't help but SMH at some characters on Nairaland. We need not make the same mistakes our fathers made. Let us teach our children about us and our language for good.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 8:01pm On Jul 14, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Lol...nearly doesnt kill a bird dammit! I have always been a crusader for the unity of all Igbo...[/b]But we all have our flaws you included,Chinenye. When I joined nairaland I was specificlly attacking you because your adverse views towards the Igbo. I feel like you were doing more of tearing down than building of the Igbo unity. You will agree with me that you were divisive and unapollogetic about it. [b]I have never intentionally talked down on my fellow Igbo.
@Bolded, you're very correct. In fact, I considered that and went back to modify my post, but it seems I didn't modify it in time. As for my views, what you interpreted as adverse and divisive are my loyalties to my culture and my interest in its wellbeing, first.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 9:35pm On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: so those people ERI met when he settled in igboland are cultureless,customless and languageless as their embraced Eri language/custom and tradition? Today the most igbo culture/tradition is being credited to Eri. And again ,if eri is a stranger among the people,why was his son nri's linage being called the linage of priests in the whole of igbo given that his father was a stranger. So many people may fabricate so many things and post it in the internet as history.so just use ur brain,use what u see, hear and read together.if u combine these three together and reshuffle them wisely ,then you will know the truth.

A myth is a myth. Just with simple logic, all Igbo people can't be from one person who lived only 1000 years ago, some of the newest Igbo villages are around 200 years old. If Eri was a civiliser (and it's highly doubtful people didn't have a culture or language before him) then that's what he was, a coloniser not a progenitor.

You don't need a homologous origin to be a unified nation anyway. Most of the Igbo groups themselves (the ones that people identify with first) aren't from one origin.

1 Like

Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 9:45pm On Jul 14, 2012
Abagworo: I can't help but SMH at some characters on Nairaland. We need not make the same mistakes our fathers made. Let us teach our children about us and our language for good.
abagworo look i am a greater philosopher by nature and can not easily fall to something that i see no sense in. I have read that ur post on the origin of different igbo clans. But to me, they make no sense. We africans lacks the sense of conservation.probably becos we have no equipments that aids conservation due to undevelopment. Unlike the whites who are wise from the begining. When computers haven't been invented,the whites use to write on clay and rocks just for the sake of conservation. Advancement brought paper and later computers to them. Let me tell,out of all the clans in that ur post, the most credible one is nri cos he could trace himself back to his root,israel. Others were mere fabrications.some even said that they have existed before 400bc. Funny! And kept those documents? How was it transfered to the writer? How did their illiterate anscestors preserved those stories? By writting? By computerising? By oral stories? I don't believe such cock and bull stories.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 9:52pm On Jul 14, 2012
ezeagu:

A myth is a myth. Just with simple logic, all Igbo people can't be from one person who lived only 1000 years ago, some of the newest Igbo villages are around 200 years old. If Eri was a civiliser (and it's highly doubtful people didn't have a culture or language before him) then that's what he was, a coloniser not a progenitor.

You don't need a homologous origin to be a unified nation anyway. Most of the Igbo groups themselves (the ones that people identify with first) aren't from one origin.
so eri is now a colonialist? Accept defeat my dear. All those things u people are talking and posting are just fallacy. By the way i haven't heard that eri colonised any group of people yet so many different people as you people chooses to call it are practising his culture/custom with his language
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 9:58pm On Jul 14, 2012
ezeagu:

so eri is now a colonialist? Accept defeat my dear. All those things u people are talking and posting are just fallacy. By the way i haven't heard that eri colonised any group of people yet so many different people as you people chooses to call it are practising his culture/custom with his language
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 10:36pm On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: so eri is now a colonialist? Accept defeat my dear. All those things u people are talking and posting are just fallacy. By the way i haven't heard that eri colonised any group of people yet so many different people as you people chooses to call it are practising his culture/custom with his language

Have you looked at anything from Nri people themselves? They don't claim anything you've said, and neither do other groups. Yes, with the myth (which you take as absolute truth) Eri is a coloniser.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 10:38pm On Jul 14, 2012
Antivirus92: abagworo look i am a greater philosopher by nature and can not easily fall to something that i see no sense in. I have read that ur post on the origin of different igbo clans. But to me, they make no sense. We africans lacks the sense of conservation.probably becos we have no equipments that aids conservation due to undevelopment. Unlike the whites who are wise from the begining. When computers haven't been invented,the whites use to write on clay and rocks just for the sake of conservation. Advancement brought paper and later computers to them. Let me tell,out of all the clans in that ur post, the most credible one is nri cos he could trace himself back to his root,israel. Others were mere fabrications.some even said that they have existed before 400bc. Funny! And kept those documents? How was it transfered to the writer? How did their illiterate anscestors preserved those stories? By writting? By computerising? By oral stories? I don't believe such cock and bull stories.

Where do we start from on this...
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 10:58pm On Jul 14, 2012
ezeagu:

Where do we start from on this...

He only believes in his own and nobody else. You cannot be a good philosopher without being a good listener.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 11:54pm On Jul 14, 2012
@Antivirus92
Ngenidi ka i kwuga? Ndaa aga i za abia ebe ekwu ihe aga o wula?

Just to give you an example of why your theory is faulty, have you heard of the Edda people in Ebonyi State? They (and a few other Cross-River Igbo) claim to have originated from east of the Cross River.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 4:46am On Jul 15, 2012
Abagworo:

He only believes in his own and nobody else. You cannot be a good philosopher without being a good listener.
my anger is this;why have a group of igbonised people like you guys always write rubbbish in the name of igbo history. Where as u people can trace ur history to the bini,igala,eda,cross river? Then automatically you are not cos we people trace our own to eri the igbo founder
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 4:54am On Jul 15, 2012
There are alot of arabised people in egypt,syria etc today. They answer arabs but are not genetically arabs. The same thing is applicable to you people. You were igbonised and not genetically igbo.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Malawian(m): 5:36am On Jul 15, 2012
All these "igbos" claiming bini ancestry, my question is, how old are the binis and how old are your "clans"? I think i have read somewhere stating the bini kingdom started something in the 14th - 15th century; which means they arent even up to a thousand yrs old yet, but while they claim to originate from wherever that suits them, they will still claim to be more than a thousand years old! Pikin dey first papa born?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Pennywise(m): 5:50am On Jul 15, 2012
Malawian: All these "igbos" claiming bini ancestry, my question is, how old are the binis and how old are your "clans"? I think i have read somewhere stating the bini kingdom started something in the 14th - 15th century; which means they arent even up to a thousand yrs old yet, but while they claim to originate from wherever that suits them, they will still claim to be more than a thousand years old! Pikin dey first papa born?

The present Oba dynasty dates back to well b4 that. I vaguely rem the names of Benin obas that ruled in the 11th century. 15 century is relatively recent history. It was when the portuguese made their first economic contact with d binis long b4 d british.

Meanwhile the Ogiso dynasty of Benin kingdom originated over 1000 yrs b4 d present oba dynasty. So go figure.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 6:45am On Jul 15, 2012
Malawian: All these "igbos" claiming bini ancestry, my question is, how old are the binis and how old are your "clans"? I think i have read somewhere stating the bini kingdom started something in the 14th - 15th century; which means they arent even up to a thousand yrs old yet, but while they claim to originate from wherever that suits them, they will still claim to be more than a thousand years old! Pikin dey first papa born?

If you take a look at Ijaw for example, a vast number of them also claim Benin ancestry which they call "Obiama" and earlier statistics claimed that about one in four of Igbos claim either origin or affiliate to ancient Benin. I do not think that early movements of people before ethnic formation disqualified them from being their ethnic group. If we go by what "Antivirus" has been insinuating, then most Igbos are not Igbos. Only those that trace their lineage to Nri are Igbos. Nri in itself can be traced to Igala leaving Igbo origin void or we should all bow to the "Nfunala" belief of the Ezilihitte people. One interesting thing is the belief in origin of mankind from "Ihu Chileke" in "Oboama na Umunama".
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 15, 2012
Before you start,you started the name calling and insults, how can you be talking rubish, orumba people are not from your Nri and we are Igbo. You can go hug transformer. We have our oruland
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 8:58am On Jul 15, 2012
Abagworo:

If you take a look at Ijaw for example, a vast number of them also claim Benin ancestry which they call "Obiama" and earlier statistics claimed that about one in four of Igbos claim either origin or affiliate to ancient Benin. I do not think that early movements of people before ethnic formation disqualified them from being their ethnic group. If we go by what "Antivirus" has been insinuating, then most Igbos are not Igbos. Only those that trace their lineage to Nri are Igbos. Nri in itself can be traced to Igala leaving Igbo origin void or we should all bow to the "Nfunala" belief of the Ezilihitte people. One interesting thing is the belief in origin of mankind from "Ihu Chileke" in "Oboama na Umunama".

Apart from Ikwere, Omoku and Onicha, who else claims Benin ancestry?

1 Like

Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 9:09am On Jul 15, 2012
Abagworo:

one of eri's sons founded the igala kingdom and not that eri can be traced to the igalas. State the fact.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 9:19am On Jul 15, 2012
KaimaTee: Before you start,you started the name calling and insults, how can you be talking rubish, orumba people are not from your Nri and we are Igbo. You can go hug transformer. We have our oruland
first oru means slave in igbolanguage,so practically u and ur people are igbo slaves. Again oru is different from orlu,so you don't even know ur self
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 9:36am On Jul 15, 2012
KaimaTee: Before you start,you started the name calling and insults, how can you be talking rubish, orumba people are not from your Nri and we are Igbo. You can go hug transformer. We have our oruland
i am already on my way to the transformer stand! But mind you, if i hug transformer it won't change u from igbonised being to a genetic igbo man. We all know that jews are descendants of jacob genetically but today there are arab jews,american jews,european jews, pakistani jews etc. All these groups are not jews genetically but today they are jews.eri never fall from heaven but traces his origin to israel. So you can bark from now till england becomes africa,it makes no difference.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 15, 2012
Moderator, why did you hide my post naa,you didn't hide antivirus post when he was calling people mad men,na my own you come dey hide. Abeg post my comment.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 3:14pm On Jul 15, 2012
ezeagu: Apart from Ikwere, Omoku and Onicha, who else claims Benin ancestry?
Elements of Echie, Asa, Ndoki, and even Ngwa. Of course, these aren't as popularly purpoted as Ikwere's for example.

odumchi: @Antivirus92
Ngenidi ka i kwuga? Ndaa aga i za abia ebe ekwu ihe aga o wula?

Just to give you an example of why your theory is faulty, have you heard of the Edda people in Ebonyi State? They (and a few other Cross-River Igbo) claim to have originated from east of the Cross River.
I lufuwala ya onu? This is what we call in Ngwa, true ilughulu, for which there is no redemption.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Malawian(m): 3:15pm On Jul 15, 2012
Igbo ancestry shouldn't be traced exactly to eri but rather to GAD! Eri came with his brothers ARODI, ARELI and EZBON. Even they too already had their clans by then. Eri was the leader and they settled first at NRI, but the rest would latter move away to expand. AROs and by extension IMOs are said to be of ARODI and not ERI!
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:19pm On Jul 15, 2012
Abagworo:

Dont you ever write anything about Nri because you are gravelly Ignorant of origin,religion and cultural hegemony... The mother of Igalla is an Nri daughter "Onoja". Igala worship "Ogwugwu" a famous Nri deity that was usually taken to anywhere the Nris establish a settlement. They have the four days of the week an Nri invention.... We dont speak an Igala dialect or anything related,so how dare you say we originated from there? Keep researching about your Isu and leave the sacred Nris out of your revisions.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:30pm On Jul 15, 2012

Orumba factly are not Nri and your dialect is also different from ours; Orumba was an area known to be a slave hub...The Isus and Aros invaded the area on many occasions during the slave and captured alot of slaves hence we Nri call them " umu oru"(slave children) and it stuck with them which they later renamed to " oru mba" (slave land). If you research more on Orumba you will find out that "Nze na Ozo" is very rare in that area which tells you that they werent Nri but maybe Isu or mixtiure of Isu and some other group.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Difference Between A Spiritualist, Herbalist, Native Doctor And Root Worker / Widow Banished From Ekiti For Refusing Traditional Oath / Music Video Of Fulani Nigerian/cameroonian Marriage Ceremonies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.