Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,401 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo (5648 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / The Culture Lounge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 3:39pm On Jul 15, 2012
Ihe inyi na evo na threadi a a kala mu aku. Inyi mewa aga inyi choro kama inyi hapu Aro aka.

This thread has evolved into something totally different. Go on as you like, but just exclude Aro.

ChinenyeN:
I lufuwala ya onu? This is what we call in Ngwa, true ilughulu, for which there is no redemption.

This one is beyond control. O lavuola.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 3:42pm On Jul 15, 2012
KaimaTee: Moderator, why did you hide my post naa,you didn't hide antivirus post when he was calling people mad men,na my own you come dey hide. Abeg post my comment.

Please, point it out to me.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:42pm On Jul 15, 2012
Malawian: Igbo ancestry shouldn't be traced exactly to eri but rather to GAD! Eri came with his brothers ARODI, ARELI and EZBON. Even they too already had their clans by then. Eri was the leader and they settled first at NRI, but the rest would latter move away to expand. AROs and by extension IMOs are said to be of ARODI and not ERI!

This is highly debateable; The decendant of Eri/Nri has one thing in common. Their deities,chieftaincy(nze na ozo),ofala(igu aro),ufie ji oku which is quite defferent from the way others celebrates theirs new yam. Others call it ili ji but the Nri calls it Ufiejioku.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:46pm On Jul 15, 2012
odumchi: Ihe inyi na evo na threadi a a kala mu aku. Inyi mewa aga inyi choro kama inyi hapu Aro aka.

This thread has evolved into something totally different. Go on as you like, but just exclude Aro.

Do you have any problem with me mentioning Aro in my post?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 3:54pm On Jul 15, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Do you have any problem with me mentioning Aro in my post?

No, nothing. It's just that there've been so many misconceptions/false assertions regarding the Igbo.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 3:58pm On Jul 15, 2012
Malawian: Igbo ancestry shouldn't be traced exactly to eri but rather to GAD! Eri came with his brothers ARODI, ARELI and EZBON. Even they too already had their clans by then. Eri was the leader and they settled first at NRI, but the rest would latter move away to expand. AROs and by extension IMOs are said to be of ARODI and not ERI!
this is even more credible than those trash they have been writting since. I have taken to study that and i found out that igbo people have many things in common pointing to blood relationship. I wonder where these people got their fallacy from.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 4:11pm On Jul 15, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

This is highly debateable; The decendant of Eri/Nri has one thing in common. Their deities,chieftaincy(nze na ozo),ofala(igu aro),ufie ji oku which is quite defferent from the way others celebrates theirs new yam. Others call it ili ji but the Nri calls it Ufiejioku.
my town is of eri descent but we call it iri ji ofuru. So don't you think that as people are moving far away from their home ,they language seems to corrupt alittle bit. Check the igbos in nigeria and those outside nigeria how they speak the igbo language.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 4:19pm On Jul 15, 2012
nwannem onye oraukwu biko can you post that link so that i can read it.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ifyalways(f): 4:20pm On Jul 15, 2012
Oru (town) is not pronounced nor has same meaning as oru (slave). Stop being silly.

Antivirus92: first oru means slave in igbolanguage,so practically u and ur people are igbo slaves. Again oru is different from orlu,so you don't even know ur self
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 4:22pm On Jul 15, 2012
odumchi: Ihe inyi na evo na threadi a a kala mu aku. Inyi mewa aga inyi choro kama inyi hapu Aro aka.

O bu ezigbota mmechi ivu. Wo emebiala threadi anyi oma a.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:14pm On Jul 15, 2012
odumchi:

No, nothing. It's just that there've been so many misconceptions/false assertions regarding the Igbo.

Well,your input is always appreciated and it wont hurt if you make any addition or clarify the gray areas....Daalu,nwanne.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Malawian(m): 5:17pm On Jul 15, 2012
Antivirus92: nwannem onye oraukwu biko can you post that link so that i can read it.
i dont exactly know how to post links but go online and google "AD international finding the children of gad" this was even written by an israeli rabbi and the website is even an israeli website. You will see more sense There than all these "bini desendants" are making. Btw, i am from ibenabo villa. Oraukwu kwenu - Homeland of the great!
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:18pm On Jul 15, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Dude,dont act like you are new here; There is never a thread opened here that has maintained a strict adherance to its topic. There has been diversions on many occasion but that isnt to say its right to derail....What was the topic again?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 5:21pm On Jul 15, 2012
Malawian: i dont exactly know how to post links but go online and google "AD international finding the children of gad" this was even written by an israeli rabbi and the website is even an israeli website. You will see more sense There than all these "bini desendants" are making. Btw, i am from ibenabo villa. Oraukwu kwenu - Homeland of the great!
i am from dim-ubana village oraukwu. You are archbishop kinsmen. Obodo araukwu bu obodo mara mma.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 5:35pm On Jul 15, 2012
ifyalways: Oru (town) is not pronounced nor has same meaning as oru (slave). Stop being silly.

ify who is silly? The orumba people in anambra,the oru in their name is pronounced oru meaning slave. They are land of slaves mgbe gboo
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 5:37pm On Jul 15, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Dude,dont act like you are new here; There is never a thread opened here that has maintained a strict adherance to its topic. There has been diversions on many occasion but that isnt to say its right to derail....What was the topic again?
Lol my comment is not about the derailment, but rather how and why it came to be derailed.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Malawian(m): 6:09pm On Jul 15, 2012
Bini desendants are very lax or lazy in thought! If they came from bini, they should tell us which bini quatters they came from. In know for fact biniland in divided into quatters like uselu or ekaidollo or okada and so on. They should also tell us how they could have lost their original language with their "parent tribe" just a stone throw away. Its not like they are "african-americans" now or are they? In fact logic will suggest that the opposite should be the case judging by bini kindom's military might and how igbo settlements were all about small autonomous communities.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 6:24pm On Jul 15, 2012
Malawian: Bini desendants are very lax or lazy in thought! If they came from bini, they should tell us which bini quatters they came from. In know for fact biniland in divided into quatters like uselu or ekaidollo or okada and so on. They should also tell us how they could have lost their original language with their "parent tribe" just a stone throw away. Its not like they are "african-americans" now or are they? In fact logic will suggest that the opposite should be the case judging by bini kindom's military might and how igbo settlements were all about small autonomous communities.
bros tell them. They are bini yet speak igbo,have four market days, have igwe or eze, have ndi nze,ozo na ndi ichie,answer igbo names even as surname. Rubbish! When and how did they lost their language/custom/tradition? Who taught them those things?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 6:41pm On Jul 15, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Well,your input is always appreciated and it wont hurt if you make any addition or clarify the gray areas....Daalu,nwanne.

Thanks a lot bro. I appreciate it but this one has gone out of hand, lol.

ChinenyeN:

Nwanna, aga i za kwuo ya wu aga o za diri.

I'm surprised. Did you intentionally mean to write in Aro? Where did you learn it? cheesy
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 8:46pm On Jul 15, 2012
grin Yep. I intentionally meant to write Aro; learned it from reading your writing. I figured it would get your attention.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Obiagu1(m): 8:49pm On Jul 15, 2012
odumchi:

No. I'm only saying that unlike many other northern groups, they are comprised of several autonomous communities that share the same identity. Although it's possible to assert the existence of an 'Nriland', the circumstances behind it and those behind the lands of southern groups like the Ngwa and Ikwere differ.

I once said that there was nothing like Nri clan and some people doubted me. Clan is strange in Anambra and some people are trying to create clans in Anambra when none existed. We are towns independent of each other but have cultural tie to Nri like most Igbo towns and clans. There's nothing like Nriland, never existed and never will.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 8:54pm On Jul 15, 2012
If/since the above is the case, then it would mean that the concept of -land is essentially non-existent in the northern axis.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Obiagu1(m): 9:02pm On Jul 15, 2012
ezeagu: It may also have to do with migration and age. Northern Igbo land which I will include areas around Owere for now is much older than Souther Igboland in terms of people currently populating these areas. Look at the difference between areas Owere and those over the Imo which are only a few hundred years old.

This is the most likely explanation. Age could be the reason. For instance, a man gave birth to ten kids and each established independent towns like we have in Anambra. Those independent towns then grew and have villages in them. Some years later, certain group of people migrated from these villages to a vastly uninhabited land. They left with one identity but are many enough to create towns that identified themselves as one people because they migrated from a common area and see each other as related hence forming clans like we have in the Southern part of Igboland.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 9:14pm On Jul 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

I once said that there was nothing like Nri clan and some people doubted me. Clan is strange in Anambra and some people are trying to create clans in Anambra when none existed. We are town independent of each other but have cultural tie to Nri like most Igbo towns and clans. There's nothing like Nriland, never existed and never will.

What would Umunri and Onicha (Umuezechima) see themselves as?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Obiagu1(m): 9:21pm On Jul 15, 2012
ChinenyeN: If/since the above is the case, then it would mean that the concept of -land is essentially non-existent in the northern axis.
That's right but not in all northern Igboland.

ezeagu:

What would Umunri and Onicha (Umuezechima) see themselves as?

Umunri, Umuezechima and Umuanedo are independent towns/villages from a common ancestor hence the "umu" prefix; they are not clans. It's quite different from Ngwa, Aro etc that were established by related group of people who are not from a single parent.

Your post I quoted in my previous post gave an answer to the puzzle.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 9:32pm On Jul 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

This is the most likely explanation. Age could be the reason. For instance, a man gave birth to ten kids and each established independent towns like we have in Anambra. Those independent towns then grew and have villages in them. Some years later, certain group of people migrated from these villages to a vastly uninhabited land. They left with one identity but are many enough to create towns that identified themselves as one people because they migrated from a common area and see each other as related hence forming clans like we have in the Southern part of Igboland.
anambra have no clans.we are of eri descent. Eri and his brothers formed igboland,culture,tradition,language. As they are moving they spread to abia ,enugu,imo,ebonyi and even across the bridge. That is why the language/custom/tradition is the same
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 9:51pm On Jul 15, 2012
Even among the ngwas and aros there is trace of nri people hence igbo language,tradition and custom wouldn't have existed there.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 9:53pm On Jul 15, 2012
Antivirus92: Even among the ngwas and aros there is trace of nri people hence igbo language,tradition and custom wouldn't have existed there.
You will do well to leave Ngwa and Aro out your nonsense.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Antivirus92(m): 9:58pm On Jul 15, 2012
ChinenyeN: If/since the above is the case, then it would mean that the concept of -land is essentially non-existent in the northern axis.
yes land doesn't exist here. The only people that have alittle bit difference are the slaves whom on liberation were given some portion of land. But they are very few and highly negligible
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 10:41pm On Jul 15, 2012
ezeagu: It may also have to do with migration and age. Northern Igbo land which I will include areas around Owere for now is much older than Souther Igboland in terms of people currently populating these areas. Look at the difference between areas Owere and those over the Imo which are only a few hundred years old.
Obiagu1: This is the most likely explanation. Age could be the reason.

I'm doubtful that there's that much of a displacement in age between northern and southern axes that one would consider it a factor.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 10:58pm On Jul 15, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Elements of Echie, Asa, Ndoki, and even Ngwa. Of course, these aren't as popularly purpoted as Ikwere's for example.

I lufuwala ya onu? This is what we call in Ngwa, true ilughulu, for which there is no redemption.

The riverine Igbo is where Benin influence stops and it is around Onitsha, Ogbaru, Oguta, Egbema, Ndoni and Ogba but a further existence of trace Benin influence is found in Okija, Uli, Mgbidi, Orlu, Oru , Oroatta/Ikwerre/Etche all the way to Ohafia in Northeast Abia State. Ohafia people believe they are from Benin.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 11:10pm On Jul 15, 2012
Antivirus92: Even among the ngwas and aros there is trace of nri people hence igbo language,tradition and custom wouldn't have existed there.

This is what you should have written and not dispute people's origin. I have mentioned it times without number that Nri is the ingredient that completes Igbo if it was a soup. Without the Nri elements like "Ofo na Ogu" Omenala, Echichi, Igbu nshi,Ubochi(eke, afor,orie,nkwo) Nze na Ozo, Igu afo/New yam etc then Igbo becomes something else. Many Igbo groups have some of these while others have all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See The Origin Of All Nigerian Languages / Difference Between A Spiritualist, Herbalist, Native Doctor And Root Worker / Widow Banished From Ekiti For Refusing Traditional Oath

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.