Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,493 members, 7,801,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:10 PM

New Style Job Scam - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / New Style Job Scam (6331 Views)

This Is A New Style Job Scammers Use In Operating / 8 Warning Signs Of A Job Scam / List Of JOB SCAM TEXT And Phone Numbers Of Job Scamers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Style Job Scam by ponana(m): 8:52am On Jun 05, 2012
I still wonder why people would want to scam jobseekers whom comprises mostly of people who are not financially bouyant. The normal scam(format) am used to hearing is the case where you are told to pay a processing fee to increase ones chances of getting a job, but this is the first time I am coming across this.It happened to a brother of mine but we didn't need to go all the way before knowing its just another scam.

He got a text from a girl who says her name is Roselyn and that they served together.she mentioned the year,batch and LG where he was. She then included that she just got a job with SIPEM(I think its an oil firm or something with relations to Agip) and that there is still need for engineers in the firm and that he should send his CV to her email,which stated in sms. Some of you might have start thinking that he is suppose to recollect if he knows a Roselyn during NYSC but I must tell you ,if you are in the seriously-looking-for--a-job category,you would give yourself excuses such as" she is probably someone I met sometime ago and we exchange contact,afterall I meet people everyday and how many of such associations do I recollect.At least she sha no say make I pay" GBAM .

Next thing he knows, he calls the girl and she gave a warm reception thereby making giving him an extra nudge to continue. She went ahead to tell him he should be fast about sending his CV cos her uncle works in the HR dept of the coy and he could help him just like he assisted her. My broda run send CV,he don dey happy say hin go dey collect Oil money.

For some 2-3days he didn't hear anything so he called the girl who told him she has given her uncle the CV and that he is ontop it.Some few days later,he got a text from a Dr Uzo Joshua who he works in the HR dept of SIPEM and that they received my brother's application but he does not a Safety certificate and a Maritime certificate which is need to work in there coy and that he should produce it within 48hrs of forfeit his chances of getting an interview date.The sms was a customized sms and no contact details was included in the msg.So how was he suppose to send the certificate other than go back to the source (that sounded genuine) and ask for more details. My brother called Roselyn to tell her that what happened and also that he included his Safety certificate in his resume meaning he is only found wanting for the Maritime certificate(which shows that no CV was read otherwise they won't be asking for the two). She went ahead to tell him that when she was being recruited that the certificate were also asked of her but her assisted her to arrange it for the sum of 40k for the two.She then gave him her uncle's number(whose name I can't remember) and told him to contact the guy if there is anything he can do to assist..

On calling the uncle (who was feigning his voice to sound like a top dog), he said he helped Roselyn to get the certificate as well and that he has a friend in NIMA or so(some Maritime agency in Nigeria) and that my brother could get the certificate for 25k.

At this point, you would only deceive yourself if you have not started considering this if this is a scam or not and according to Mickey Bricks(Hustle...its a t.v series)"You cannot scam an honest man." My brother decided to back out and rid himself of the whole theartrics and continue his job search.

Sorry if my story was too long ,but its a story I had to tell. For all you scammers out there, am not in support of what you do but if you must scam face the likes of Tinubu and Obasanjo who's won't even feel a dime leaving there pocket not people still trying to get their footing and still collect money from friends and relatives cos by the time wey God go strike you, you go think say he pass 25 thousand naira. Be a robin hood for a change(collect from the rich and give the poor) ,who knows God might forgive you.
JUST KIDDING OOOO,SCAM NO GOOD OOOO

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Style Job Scam by stepo707: 10:51am On Jun 05, 2012
Those thieving scamming of a B*itch
Re: New Style Job Scam by Yinkagbo(m): 12:09pm On Jun 05, 2012
Thanks for sharing this with nairalanders.......a frnd of mine experienced this some months back....
Re: New Style Job Scam by ralphlanry(m): 12:20pm On Jun 05, 2012
Getting the same msg but the mistake the thief is making is that he is sending the msg to the contact of my next of kin during NYSC instead of me. It shows that the person has access to my NYSC details. When I went for my NYSC, I didn't have a stable phone no. My next of kin is yet to go for NYSC. The person even know my platoon. S/he has sent D msg to d no 3 times since last year claiming to be my copper mate in plateau in 2005 aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ if I will like to work in AGIP.

I think NYSC official should be asked about this. It may sound funny. How can someone get my next of kin's no three times if d no I gave during NYSC is no more reachable aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊. The person has my NYSC details
MAD PEOPlE

1 Like

Re: New Style Job Scam by ralphlanry(m): 12:23pm On Jun 05, 2012
Getting the same msg but the mistake the thief is making is that he is sending the msg to the contact of my next of kin during NYSC instead of me. It shows that the person has access to my NYSC details. When I went for my NYSC, I didn't have a stable phone no. My next of kin is yet to go for NYSC. The person even know my platoon. S/he has sent D msg to d no 3 times since last year claiming to be my copper mate in plateau in 2005 aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ if I will like to work in AGIP.

I think NYSC official should be asked about this. It may sound funny. How can someone get my next of kin's no three times if d no I gave during NYSC is no more reachable aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊. The person has my NYSC details
MAD PEOPlE
If U̶̲̥̅̊ know me during youth service, U̶̲̥̅̊ can only know my phone no but not the one I put as my next of kin. It is the work of NYSC official to defraud the less privileged Nigerians.
Re: New Style Job Scam by upengineer: 12:48pm On Jun 05, 2012
That format is an old format, maybe its new to you but it isnt new atall. The only advise i have is that job seekers should be careful of where they send their applications to and nobody should pay anybody for job
ponana: I still wonder why people would want to scam jobseekers whom comprises mostly of people who are not financially bouyant. The normal scam(format) am used to hearing is the case where you are told to pay a processing fee to increase ones chances of getting a job, but this is the first time I am coming across this.It happened to a brother of mine but we didn't need to go all the way before knowing its just another scam.
He got a text from a girl who says her name is Roselyn and that they served together.she mentioned the year,batch and LG where he was. She then included that she just got a job with SIPEM(I think its an oil firm or something with relations to Agip) and that there is still need for engineers in the firm and that he should send his CV to her email,which stated in sms. Some of you might have start thinking that he is suppose to recollect if he knows a Roselyn during NYSC but I must tell you ,if you are in the seriously-looking-for--a-job category,you would give yourself excuses such as" she is probably someone I met sometime ago and we exchange contact,afterall I meet people everyday and how many of such associations do I recollect.At least she sha no say make I pay" GBAM .
Next thing he knows, he calls the girl and she gave a warm reception thereby making giving him an extra nudge to continue. She went ahead to tell him he should be fast about sending his CV cos her uncle works in the HR dept of the coy and he could help him just like he assisted her. My broda run send CV,he don dey happy say hin go dey collect Oil money.
For some 2-3days he didn't hear anything so he called the girl who told him she has given her uncle the CV and that he is ontop it.Some few days later,he got a text from a Dr Uzo Joshua who he works in the HOUR dept of SIPEM and that they received my brother's application but he does not a Safety certificate and a Maritime certificate which is need to work in there coy and that he should produce it within 48hrs of forfeit his chances of getting an interview date.The sms was a customized sms and no contact details was included in the msg.So how was he suppose to send the certificate other than go back to the source (that sounded genuine) and ask for more details. My brother called Roselyn to tell her that what happened and also that he included his Safety certificate in his resume meaning he is only found wanting for the Maritime certificate(which shows that no CV was read otherwise they won't be asking for the two). She went ahead to tell him that when she was being recruited that the certificate were also asked of her but her assisted her to arrange it for the sum of 40k for the two.She then gave him her uncle's number(whose name I can't remember) and told him to contact the guy if there is anything he can do to assist..
On calling the uncle (who was feigning his voice to sound like a top dog), he said he helped Roselyn to get the certificate as well and that he has a friend in NIMA or so(some Maritime agency in Nigeria) and that my brother could get the certificate for 25k.
At this point, you would only deceive yourself if you have not started considering this if this is a scam or not and according to Mickey Bricks(Hustle...its a t.v series)"You cannot scam an honest man." My brother decided to back out and rid himself of the whole theartrics and continue his job search.
Sorry if my story was too long ,but its a story I had to tell. For all you scammers out there, am not in support of what you do but if you must scam face the likes of Tinubu and Obasanjo who's won't even feel a dime leaving there pocket not people still trying to get their footing and still collect money from friends and relatives cos by the time wey God go strike you, you go think say he pass 25 thousand naira. Be a robin hood for a change(collect from the rich and give the poor) ,who knows God might forgive you.
JUST KIDDING OOOO,SCAM NO GOOD OOOO
Re: New Style Job Scam by 1forall: 6:38pm On Jun 05, 2012
All the info she used to convince him from the beginning are stuff he probably has on his CV. It looks like the girl got your brother's info from his CV which he may have been sending out indiscriminately on his job search.
It's why we advise job seekers to exercise good judgement before sending CVs to unknown places. Your personal info is precious to you and should not be sent to places you don't know.
Re: New Style Job Scam by onwudegu(f): 8:57pm On Feb 15, 2013
thks 4 sharing dis info
Re: New Style Job Scam by harrisnimasa(m): 10:52pm On Feb 15, 2013
theyv tried that wit me,bt when they realised i have all the maritime safety cert,they backout..i never heard frm them. again .God pass them.

1 Like

Re: New Style Job Scam by pechiko: 12:13pm On Feb 16, 2013
The truth is that the scammers are getting your info from NYSC year album. They get the year book and check for your course(mostly Engineering related courses),your phone number and NYSC Number. So they send a convincing text msg to u using the info u provided in the year book.

2 Likes

Re: New Style Job Scam by brighter: 7:53am On Feb 17, 2013
I got this similar call in December telling me he served with me, now works with Shell but when I noticed its a scam I just told d guy I got no money to process his so-called 'help' he backed off. I think they do get the details from sent CV becos he so described me as someone who have seen my CV though he claimed to have served with me.
Wherever the idiot is I pray thunder to strike him so he won't live to dupe someone else.
Re: New Style Job Scam by umohlee(m): 11:38am On Dec 16, 2013
some of our people need to wake up from this long sleep and stop letting this people(scammers) take advantage of their problem to rob them of their remain
Re: New Style Job Scam by Funjosh(m): 8:16pm On Jul 06, 2014
IT IS WELL
Re: New Style Job Scam by akfolab(m): 11:58am On May 11, 2016
Please who knows wether Shell petroleum is currently recruiting? And what should my preparation towards the screening?
Re: New Style Job Scam by BLACKPANTHER(m): 5:14pm On May 11, 2016
ralphlanry:

MAD PEOPlE
If U̶̲̥̅̊ know me during youth service, U̶̲̥̅̊ can only know my phone no but not the one I put as my next of kin. It is the work of NYSC official to defraud the less privileged Nigerians.

What Roselyn and co simply did was access your details from your NYSC YEAR BOOK where your photos and background profiles are bulked as a means to remember and contact your former corps colleagues.
Re: New Style Job Scam by ghostwritter(m): 5:31pm On May 11, 2016
any person that can scam me successfully deserves an 'Oscar Award' (Coz na me be d real YBNL kiss)......I can smell a scammer one million miles away.
man must eat man for survival.....i just pray it doesn't get barbaric.
Re: New Style Job Scam by igbokwu(m): 9:21am On Oct 18, 2016
upengineer:
That format is an old format, maybe its new to you but it isnt new atall. The only advise i have is that job seekers should be careful of where they send their applications to and nobody should pay anybody for job
nawaoo
Re: New Style Job Scam by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 18, 2016
This format was sent to me way back 2010....i laugh tell am say make he send me his own that I just got an offer in NNPC! The carton did not reply again. The get your number from NYSC brochures

(1) (Reply)

What Is INEC Salary Structure Like? / Please Is NEOGROUP Genuine / Entrepreneurship Trust Fund Representative Invite...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.