Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! (14607 Views)

Dana Airline Hostess Avert Air-Hijack / Aero Flights Grounded Nationwide / Press Statement Email From Dana Airline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by Slyr0x: 2:42pm On Jun 05, 2012
The Senate has asked the Federal Government to ground all planes belonging to DANA Airline until investigations are completed into Sunday’s deadly crash which killed 153 passengers and crew and unknown number of people on ground.

At plenary Tuesday morning, the upper legislative chamber also ordered the Director General of the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, Harold Demuren, to step aside until the conclusion of investigation into the accident.

Besides, the senators want aviation authorities in the country to conduct an audit of the airlines in the country with a view to determining their airworthiness.

The lawmakers made the resolution following a motion by the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Aviation, Hope Uzondinma (PDP, Imo).

The lower House had said Monday it would hold a legislative inquiry into the crash separate from government’s planned investigations.

The chairman House committee on media, Zakari Mohammed, said an ad hoc committee will be named to investigate the cause of one of the nation’s most horrific air accidents.

Also, the senate had said Monday it would support sweeping probe not only on Dana air, but the entire aviation industry, an indicator the chamber may not launch its own investigation but may be planning to back the government’s probe instead of conducting a separate one.

All 153 passengers and crew members aboard the plane died while an unexpected number, expected to be huge too, were killed in the buildings and the neighborhood the jet smashed into.

Mr. Mohammed (PDP-Kwara), said details of the probe will be announced on Tuesday when the House meets.

“We cannot fold our arms and allow this to be swept under the carpet. We will support all relevant agencies of government to get to the root of the tragedy. We want to know why it happened,” he said. “We want to, for once, unravel what is responsible for that national calamity.

The lawmaker said the probe, which is to establish the age of the aircraft, its airworthiness.

“We are interested in the nature of the aircraft, the age of the aircraft. Is it supposed to fly in our airspace? We will be very strict on this as the blackbox does not lie. It will tell everything that happened,” he said.

The Senate demanded a thorough investigation of all airlines in the country in a statement by Spokesman, Enyinnaya Abaribe (PDP-Abia).

“Senate demands nothing, but a holistic investigation of the remote and immediate causes of the plane crash.

“Senate would also insist that the probe this time should not be limited to Dana Airlines and their fleet, but all the airlines operating in Nigeria.

Mr. Abaribe said, “We had thought that Nigeria had landed in the golden era of safe aviation industry, where all the standard codes that conform with international best practices were being complied with.”

Courtesy Citizen’s Platform

@newsbytesnow

PIN: 288E8105

http://newsbytesnow./2012/06/05/flash-dana-airline-grounded-demuren-to-step-aside/

1 Like

Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by niddamugu(m): 2:48pm On Jun 05, 2012
This is always the case - REACTIVE STEPS rather than Proactive. I wish them well and hope this would not only be sustained but extended to other sectors including OIL subsidy....

3 Likes

Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by 9free(m): 2:51pm On Jun 05, 2012
Medicine after death! Only obtainable in Nigeria!!

2 Likes

Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by Businesstools(m): 2:53pm On Jun 05, 2012
It has to be permanent.
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by MeGaStReEt: 2:58pm On Jun 05, 2012
hmmmmmm another story
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by miteolu(m): 2:58pm On Jun 05, 2012
Act 1 scene 3
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by oddy4real(m): 2:59pm On Jun 05, 2012
People here are still complaining. Had they sat down doing nothing, u would have raised the roof top with your anti-GEJ PDP rants.

3 Likes

Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by lifestyle1(m): 3:00pm On Jun 05, 2012
undecided
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 05, 2012
All Airlines should be audited, Any airplane older than 10yrs have no place in Nigerian Airspace due to our maintenance culture. DANA airline must be grounded until further notice.

1 Like

Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by optimistD(m): 3:01pm On Jun 05, 2012
niddamugu: This is always the case - REACTIVE STEPS rather than Proactive. I wish them well and hope this would not only be sustained but extended to other sectors including OIL subsidy....
bros 1thing at a time naa. If posible, let's concentrate on ths 4now.
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by ndsmartt(m): 3:02pm On Jun 05, 2012
I jst wish 4 one day, u pple wil atleast fulfil 50% of wot u say...

1 Like

Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by optimistD(m): 3:03pm On Jun 05, 2012
LeoMax: All Airlines should be audited, Any airplane older than 10yrs have no place in Nigerian Airspace due to our maintenance culture. DANA airline must be grounded until further notice.
hm! Na motor?
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by Ournaija: 3:04pm On Jun 05, 2012
Hypocrites! shooting (playing) to the gallery.
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by Kx: 3:04pm On Jun 05, 2012
Just as it was with Tony Elumelu Legislators-Power Probe,
Extended to Lawan Legislators backed Fuel subsidy probe
So shall it be with this latest Dana Air crash investigations.

As usual, omoshe will be singled out, big ogas and Minister, whose
job is it to supervise the sector, will be left untouched.

"As it was in the ones b4 this, so shall it be world without end"
Nothing will come out of it.

1 Like

Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by texazzpete(m): 3:13pm On Jun 05, 2012
In another utterly m0r0nic move, the FG has just withdrawn the operating license of Dana Air.

See just how clueless this GEJ Government really is?

1 Like

Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by Silva79(f): 3:15pm On Jun 05, 2012
Oluwa take control of our senators heart,something meaningful must come out of dis probe!! Over 153 pple died no be beans! 9ja Senators must fear God and 4 1ce do sumtin meaningful...GOD IS WATCHING IN BLACK AND WHITE.
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by Silva79(f): 3:17pm On Jun 05, 2012
texazzpete: In another utterly m0r0nic move, the FG has just withdrawn the operating license of Dana Air.

See just how clueless this GEJ Government really is?
nothing dey satisfy 9jirians! Oya TELL US WHAT U THINK SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE IMMEDIATELY!
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by 30secs(m): 3:19pm On Jun 05, 2012
9free: Medicine after death! Only obtainable in Nigeria!!
And it took 154+ deaths to make the senate ground the airline abi?? I tire for Naija sef.
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by gbogboti: 3:19pm On Jun 05, 2012
THAT WAS WEAK. 1.DANA SHOULD BE BANNED FOREVER WITHIN NIGERIA'S AIRSPACE. POINT BLANK. 2.SACK THE MINISTER OF AVIATION. 3.SACK DAMUREN. 4.STOP PLANES OLDER THAN 10YEARS FROM FLYING IN AND OUT OF NIGERIA.

*HOW DID THE AIRFARE CHARGE DISPARITY BETWEEN NIGERIA AND OTHER AFRICAN FLIERS END? RUBBISH! ALL TALKS, NO ACTIONS.

2 Likes

Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:20pm On Jun 05, 2012
Silva79: Oluwa take control of our senators heart,something meaningful must come out of dis probe!! Over 153 pple died no be beans! 9ja Senators must fear God and 4 1ce do sumtin meaningful...GOD IS WATCHING IN BLACK AND WHITE.

perhaps he needs to watch it in Color
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by Biggyd2: 3:20pm On Jun 05, 2012
How many of them use these aircrafts? Many abi? I am sure they can't all be using the presidential jet. So they have no choice but to fly in these planes WITH THE COMMON MASSES. Even if they decide to stay in 1st class, crash na crash. So my advice to them, "you guys should speak all the grammar now. If you please, do not follow up to make sure that the aviation industry is sanitised. All I can say is that they that live in glass houses do not throw stones".

2 Likes

Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by 30secs(m): 3:21pm On Jun 05, 2012
Silva79: nothing dey satisfy 9jirians! Oya TELL US WHAT U THINK SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE IMMEDIATELY!
For say your family member dey nw, the mata for switt me well.
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by kaiter: 3:22pm On Jun 05, 2012
Oluwa take control of our senators heart,something meaningful must come out of dis probe!![img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by kunmibola(m): 3:22pm On Jun 05, 2012
Dana out!
NCAA DG out!
Minister of Avaition stays! Na wao!
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by Ferenc: 3:22pm On Jun 05, 2012
Right action..better than nothing.
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by pdozie: 3:23pm On Jun 05, 2012
Nice move -(better late than never). But why is the H/A championing it; This is why you find FG saying reports from H/A on some of the enquiries will be subjected to yet another 'investigation'.
As far as I'm concerned, it is not the duty of the H/A(House of Assembly) to conduct such investigation. It is the executive that should set up a body of enquiry preferably a judicial one so that their recommendations can be applied immediately.

1 Like

Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by oliseh3: 3:27pm On Jun 05, 2012
1000 ways to die..... 9ja airways has just been included ..... Hw many of u watch dat tv show is really nice though

Some1 once told me dat 9ja dnt include stunts in our local movies ..... Hw do u do dat wen our every day lyf is stunts on its own or dnt we (me & u) knw dat boarding 9ja airways is putin ur lyf on d line...

May i live to see 9ja change change 4 d better
God bless 9ja
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by zangiff(m): 3:29pm On Jun 05, 2012
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by blank(f): 3:33pm On Jun 05, 2012
Just heard that the Federal govt has withdrawn Dana's operating licence.
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by manny4life(m): 3:33pm On Jun 05, 2012
Good move... like the fuel subsidy, after all the investigation, money will exchange hands and everything becomes history. AG will say, well we don't have enough incriminating evidence against them, so we can't prosecute. When are we gonna change? My own is that if they are gonna probe, just don't probe, for the victims sake, ACT.

Although I do not support withdrawing their operating license, but I would have said, if I were the govt, I'd ask them to post a $20million insurance bond ($15.3million for victims of the crash and other to cover casualties and properties destroyed in crash), meanwhile audit them seriously.
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by ghm: 3:34pm On Jun 05, 2012
Good move anyway; but let us pray also that God will close all their eyes to the compensation that should be paid to the victims either by the insurance or the airline. The way they chop money is like a disease/addiction. Some of us have not recovered from the SEC and Pension Fund probes where they chop and chop any how.
Re: DANA Airline Grounded, Demuren To Step Aside! by yogun(f): 3:39pm On Jun 05, 2012
what's the Minster of Aviation still doing there her a** shld equally be fried

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Qatar Work Visa For 600k.is It Worth It? / Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? / FAAN Headquarters On Fire (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.