Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody (7470 Views)

Former Governor Nyako Of Adamawa In EFCC Custody / EFCC Fails To Re-arraign Ex-Governor Sylva / CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by omosexy1: 2:59pm On Jun 05, 2012
Court Remands Former Bayelsa State Governor In EFCC Custody

A Federal High court sitting in Abuja on Tuesday remanded former Bayelsa State governor, Timiprie Sylva in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) until Thursday 7 June when the court will decide on his bail application.

Mr Sylva who voluntarily appeared in court even with speculations that he is outside the country is standing trial for alleged corruption and conversion of N6.5 billion belonging to Bayelsa State for personal use.

The former governor took a not guilty plead to the six count corruption charges read to him by the Clark of the court.

He there after asked for bail through his counsel Lateef Fagbemi who told the court that the charges against Mr Sylva are offences that will allow the defendant bail until his guilt or otherwise is proven.

He asked the court to take notice that the accused appeared in the court voluntarily and will continue to do so.

Mr Fagbemi added that the court should also be lenient with the conditions of bail.

Opposing the bail application, counsel to EFCC, Festus Keyamo argued that the accused had evaded service for several months and that such a person cannot be trusted to be available through out the trial.

Mr Keyamo told the court that though the offences for which the former governor is standing trial are bail-able, it is not enough to secure bail as bail still lies at the discretion of the court.

Haven listened to the two lawyers the trial judge, Justice Adamu Bello fixed ruling for Thursday 7 June while remanding the former governor in prison custody.

However, based on the agreement between the prosecuting and defence counsels, the presiding judge change his earlier pronouncement and remanded the former governor in the EFCC custody.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/06/05/court-remands-former-bayelsa-state-governor-in-efcc-custody/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

This is exactly what we have been shouting against. Arrangement for him not be in prison but EFCC custody. Rather than the Judge to stick by his decision, he prefer to change his decision.
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by RoyalRoy(m): 4:09pm On Jun 05, 2012
Welcome to the club Sylva. Thats what you get for daring a sitting president. Lets watch how this soap opera ends.

2 Likes

Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Ournaija: 4:09pm On Jun 05, 2012
I pity Mr. Sylva
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by malc619(m): 4:09pm On Jun 05, 2012
Another drama series has begun.....
Let me arm myself with my bottle ogogogoro and a plate of tapioca while i watch this interesting drama....

Meanwhile:
The former governor took a not guilty plead to the six count corruption charges read to him by the [b][size=24pt]Clark[/size][/b]of the court.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
grin grin grin grin
E.K. Clark don dey work for Court...

5 Likes

Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by inspirenet: 4:10pm On Jun 05, 2012
hmmm.
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by 9ijaprince(m): 4:21pm On Jun 05, 2012
serves him right
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by rasputinn(m): 4:24pm On Jun 05, 2012
9ijaprince:
olodo

[quote author=omosexy1]

The former governor took a not guilty plead to the six count corruption charges read to him by the Clark of the court.

quote]

Guilty plea

Clerk of the court
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by miteolu(m): 4:25pm On Jun 05, 2012
na today
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by nasty45(m): 4:29pm On Jun 05, 2012
Is it just me or do d presido of naija use EFCC to hit dia enemies.because sylva said if e doesnt win e'l kil jona and nw e's sufferin d consequences.u nid to c d way e was picked and taken to d airport.more lyk one dt committed treason.mtchew for naija
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Pukkah: 4:30pm On Jun 05, 2012
Did he commit the crime alone? Where are the others?
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by poj(m): 4:32pm On Jun 05, 2012
I feel d guy is being witch hunted for daring the highest authority, his hands may not be clean though.
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Baawaa(m): 4:41pm On Jun 05, 2012
GEJ self dey exhibit power,na sylva he fit handle grin grin ;Dlike play like play dem fit jail dis man ooo
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Pukkah: 4:43pm On Jun 05, 2012
poj: I feel d guy is being witch hunted for daring the highest authority, his hands may not be clean though.

What did he achieve as the Governor of the state in spite of hundreds of billions that accrued to the state under his watch?
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by rasputinn(m): 4:44pm On Jun 05, 2012
So many of you would NEVER stomach half of what Sylva said,planned to do and did against GEJ.

I say its about time
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by ebamma(m): 4:47pm On Jun 05, 2012
e be like say him neva call oga jonathan o
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by subzero2(m): 4:50pm On Jun 05, 2012
A man dat promised us 100 percent increase in our State allowy only on paper durin my NYSC days in Bayelsa. U dont bite d finger dat feeds u, Mr. Sylva. #oga abeg giv me 1 bottle of Palmboost#... #yawn#
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by JANK23H(m): 4:50pm On Jun 05, 2012
If you don@t know anything about Bayelsa i suggest you don't make silly comments.This is not a case of witch hunting anybody.Timipre Silva is the worst governor we've had in Bayelsa State.

The junky didn't do anything meaningful but to destroy all the good works other people did.Bayelsa state with all the wealth look like a poor state.As a Bayelsan,i can say with all confidence that GEJ administration was the best,in terms of Education,job creation and workers welfare.
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by deandavid(m): 4:54pm On Jun 05, 2012
malc619: Another drama series has begun.....
Let me arm myself with my bottle ogogogoro and a plate of tapioca while i watch this interesting drama....

Meanwhile:

grin grin grin grin
real nigerdelta man. Bro make i join u o. Dis our evil leaders.

1 Like

Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Beaf: 4:58pm On Jun 05, 2012
nasty45: Is it just me or do d presido of naija use EFCC to hit dia enemies.because sylva said if e doesnt win e'l kil jona and nw e's sufferin d consequences.u nid to c d way e was picked and taken to d airport.more lyk one dt committed treason.mtchew for naija

He will probably face treason charges, cos one one of his coccaine trips, he threatened the life of Nigeria's Sovereign.
I pity Sylva.

One thing is certain, though. He won't be sniffing coccaine anytime soon; SSS don't even need to work him over, the withdrawal symptoms would do that free.
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Baawaa(m): 5:00pm On Jun 05, 2012
JANK23H: If you don@t know anything about Bayelsa i suggest you don't make silly comments.This is not a case of witch hunting anybody.st governoTimipre Silva is the worr we've had in Bayelsa State.

The junky didn't do anything meaningful but to destroy all the good works other people did.Bayelsa state with all the wealth look like a poor state.As a Bayelsan,i can say with all confidence that GEJ administration was the best,in terms of Education,job creation and workers welfare.
If you say his the worst Governor,what will you say about Alayemelsia shocked
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by malc619(m): 5:05pm On Jun 05, 2012
deandavid: real nigerdelta man. Bro make i join u o. Dis our evil leaders.

Bros abeg show nothing do us.......

Bros Joe go use Sylva shine small. Them say who nor know who pass am na big fool.......
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by ibide(m): 5:18pm On Jun 05, 2012
Sylva pass his boundry that 4 sure if you have ever been to bayelsa state u will know that the guy did nothing in that state any way sylva could have ask ibori some question before making noise
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jun 05, 2012
malc619: Another drama series has begun.....

Meanwhile:

grin grin grin grin

grin
Guy you harsh o. You no fit be lecturer o.

1 Like

Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by udeasman(m): 5:26pm On Jun 05, 2012
God's WORD MUST PREVAIL IN 9JA
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Otamio: 5:32pm On Jun 05, 2012
rasputinn:

rasputinn: This man no d
ey gree o, he is a fighter.
rasputinn:

Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Ibangap(m): 5:38pm On Jun 05, 2012
*singing nd dancing* Dis 1 na season 2 eh,finish timaya.. Sorry timipre silva season 2 eh.
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Emilo(m): 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2012
Baawaa:
If you say his the worst Governor,what will you say about Alayemelsia shocked

Don't go there, Alayemelsia did a few good in Bayelsa, don't mind all the propaganda and past events. The man is still loved by his people
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Pukkah: 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2012
rasputinn: So many of you would NEVER stomach half of what Sylva said,planned to do and did against GEJ.

I say its about time

Is it about tolerance for insults or a genuine fight against corruption? I don't care about what he said but he should be tried for corruption if he has been found wanting. You also came across as endorsing some sort of victimization of the man because of what he did/said to Jonathan. Is this fair?
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by NaijaNaWaa: 5:46pm On Jun 05, 2012
He didn't want to repeat Ibori's mistake. Better to be "tried" in Naija than abroad. Wise man, if you ask me.
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by ehiabj(f): 5:53pm On Jun 05, 2012
Is he the only Corrupt Governor or ex Governor??
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by dayokanu(m): 6:39pm On Jun 05, 2012
Alams, Retardeen and now Sylva

Its like corruption is in the genes of those drunk fishermen
Re: Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody by Hitmequincy(m): 6:42pm On Jun 05, 2012
No Be Today nau..

(1) (2) (Reply)

LG Poll: 15 Political Parties To Contest In Lagos Local Government Election / Benue Assembly Member, Jacob Orban Defects From APC To PDP / Ugwuanyi Receives FG Award For Reforming Enugu Judiciary (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.