Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,836 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July (15160 Views)

Windows 10 To Be Released In July (Pictures) / Glo-1 Cable Cut Disrupts Internet Access In Nigeria / April 2011 Report On Prices Of Internet Access In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Slyr0x: 10:35am On Jun 06, 2012
For some computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections this summer.

Unknown to most of them, their problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world. In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

This is what happened:

Hackers infected a network of probably more than 570,000 computers worldwide. They took advantage of vulnerabilities in the Microsoft Windows operating system to install malicious software on the victim computers. This turned off antivirus updates and changed the way the computers look up website addresses behind the scenes on the Internet's domain name system.

The domain name system is a network of servers that translates a Web address — such as www.statesman.com — into the numerical addresses that computers use. Victim computers were reprogrammed to use rogue domain name system servers owned by the attackers. This allowed the attackers to redirect computers to fraudulent versions of any website.

The hackers earned profits from advertisements that appeared on websites that victims were tricked into visiting. The scam netted the hackers at least $14 million, according to the FBI. It also made thousands of computers reliant on the rogue servers for their Internet browsing.

Installing and running the two substitute servers for eight months is costing the federal government about $87,000.

Here's how the FBI says you can check your computer and avoid potentially losing your ability to connect to the Internet on July 9:

Go to www.dcwg.org.

Click on "Detect" in the upper left corner, or on the Green Button next to it.

You will be directed to a new page. Pick your language from the list and click on the link next to it.

If your computer is not infected, you will see a green logo with the message: "DNS Resolution = Green. Your computer appears to be looking up IP addresses correctly!"

If you see that message, you don't need to do anything more.

If you see a message with a red logo saying your computer appears to be infected, you will be directed to a new page with websites that will provide antivirus tools that cybersecurity experts have identified as being effective in removing the malware.

The website also provides information on the case and the malware

http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/hundreds-of-thousands-may-lose-internet-in-july-2317399.html?fb_ref=homepage
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by teemy(m): 10:50am On Jun 06, 2012
Thanks Sly, a client of mine was once complaining of not being able to view his site while it was perfectly clear on my end. I just need to point all my clients to this page chikena.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Peterson1993(m): 10:59am On Jun 06, 2012
Thanks for the info siar. Hacking is very sweet but programming and coding are more delicious. I have gone very far and learnt alot about hacking but dont even know how to prevent being hacked... Hacking would be a waste of time if you fail to place you name as a global recongnised hacker where you will be paid to hack if you knew how to do the job properly. And all you do with it is commit unecessary attrocities with it if you are not a recongnised hacker.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by mrperfect(m): 11:23am On Jun 06, 2012
Thank you for the information.

1 Like

Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Slyr0x: 11:50am On Jun 06, 2012
Just checked mine. .seems I'm clean smiley

1 Like

Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by justwise(m): 12:27pm On Jun 06, 2012
Thanks for the info, checked and my lappy is looking up IP correctly.

1 Like

Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by lastpage: 12:31pm On Jun 06, 2012
...And yet all you will hear "internationally" is that Nigerians are responsible for internet Scams [/b]when in actual fact, [b]Nigerians represent a very small fraction that is actually unsophisticated, compared to what other nations do, especially the East Europeans!

(shakes head in obvious annoyance!)

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by konami001: 12:48pm On Jun 06, 2012
I was just thinking this could be a ploy by the FBI/CIA or whatever to spread their malware and get people infected... I mean seriously, come to think of it.. if you loose internet on your pc, are you not going to ever get it back? If you scanned on this website now, and you get a red alert that your system is infected, what are you going to do about it now? Can we not remove this infection after July after we find that we have lost internet... without having to additionally jeopardise our lives by dealing with the people who wrote stuxnet and flame malware cyberwar tools that has ravaged the middle eastern countries?

Is the FBI so good all of s sudden that they are putting up a website for you to scan your computers? Haha.. i sorry for the gullible...

My dears, I believe this is a classic scam by the FBI to get your systems infected with their spyware. They are following the confirmed formular of predicting a world ending scenario and then scaring you to take action whereby you will fall directly into their trap.

This is just my opinion on this....

9 Likes

Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by slimming: 12:50pm On Jun 06, 2012
Great info. thanks
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by ariyebaba(m): 1:00pm On Jun 06, 2012
Thanks for dat info..........................
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Tyche(m): 1:04pm On Jun 06, 2012
Thanks fo the info but I won't do it.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Maleeq(m): 1:05pm On Jun 06, 2012
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jun 06, 2012
Thanks for the information
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Pakavy(m): 1:16pm On Jun 06, 2012
checkd mine,i am gud 2 go.tnx 4 d vital in4
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Slyr0x: 1:19pm On Jun 06, 2012
Peterson1993: Thanks for the info sir. Hacking is very sweet but programming and coding are more delicious. I have gone very far and learnt alot about hacking but dont even know how to prevent being hacked... Hacking would be a waste of time if you fail to place you name as a global recognized hacker where you will be paid to hack if you knew how to do the job properly. And all you do with it is commit unnecessary atrocities with it if you are not a recognized hacker.

You made some good points. .Getting paid to hack is called Penetration Testing especially when it's ethical i.e with the system/network/web app owner's authorized permission.

The best feeling in the world is getting paid to do what you love to do. . cheesy wink
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by merije1010(m): 1:22pm On Jun 06, 2012
Thank u 4d info sir
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by erniok(m): 1:23pm On Jun 06, 2012
This info is all over the net except on FBI site. So how trustworthy is it?
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jun 06, 2012
@op

How safe is iPad against this virus ?
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by mxxpunkxx: 1:31pm On Jun 06, 2012
erniok: This info is all over the net except on FBI site. So how trustworthy is it?

Seconded. A potential java drive-by !!!
Thanks, i'll reset my DNS manually.

1 Like

Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by xtremeidea(m): 1:41pm On Jun 06, 2012
erniok: This info is all over the net except on FBI site. So how trustworthy is it?

Are u thinking what am thinking? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by ebamma(m): 1:43pm On Jun 06, 2012
14 million dollars,i love this hackers,atleast the are making good money from their trade,not like our naija hackers were the only sabi to hack person twitter account

1 Like

Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by SisiKill1: 1:59pm On Jun 06, 2012
What better and easier way to get people's PC infected with a virus than to create an infectious site under the guise of alerting people about a potential infection and telling them to visit the site to check if they are infected?

In Hacker's speak, the GREEN means GOTCHA!!! Hahahahaha

Ingenious I tells ya!! cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Slyr0x: 2:42pm On Jun 06, 2012

xtremeidea:

Are u thinking what am thinking? grin grin grin

mxxpunkxx:

Seconded. A potential java drive-by !!!
Thanks, i'll reset my DNS manually.

Doubting Thomases

Yahoo's Source: http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-thousands-may-lose-internet-july-181324701--finance.html
FBI's Source: www.fbi.gov/DNS-changer-malware.pdf
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 06, 2012
konami001: I was just thinking this could be a ploy by the FBI/CIA or whatever to spread their malware and get people infected... I mean seriously, come to think of it.. if you loose internet on your pc, are you not going to ever get it back? If you scanned on this website now, and you get a red alert that your system is infected, what are you going to do about it now? Can we not remove this infection after July after we find that we have lost internet... without having to additionally jeopardise our lives by dealing with the people who wrote stuxnet and flame malware cyberwar tools that has ravaged the middle eastern countries?

Is the FBI so good all of s sudden that they are putting up a website for you to scan your computers? Haha.. i sorry for the gullible...

My dears, I believe this is a classic scam by the FBI to get your systems infected with their spyware. They are following the confirmed formular of predicting a world ending scenario and then scaring you to take action whereby you will fall directly into their trap.

Thanks bro, Nigerians are some of the most gullible people in the world. I'm sure by now most of them saying 'Thanks' to the OP have already scanned their sysyem on that site.
@ ALL,THE INTERNET IS NOT SHUTTING DOWN IN JULY OR ANYTIME AFTER.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by kay9(m): 2:58pm On Jun 06, 2012
Thanks for the info, but i think i'll just wait and see what happens on July 9. Worst case scenario, i reset the friggin' ish manually. If the bas.tar.ds have been eating me mugu for months now, then 3 more days wont make much difference.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by onyxo76(m): 3:16pm On Jun 06, 2012
just checked out the stuff, my pc is doing good.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Slyr0x: 3:18pm On Jun 06, 2012
careytommy:
Thanks bro, Nigerians are some of the most gullible people in the world. I'm sure by now most of them saying 'Thanks' to the OP have already scanned their sysyem on that site.
@ ALL,THE INTERNET IS NOT SHUTTING DOWN IN JULY OR ANYTIME AFTER.

Did you read my posts at all? Why the bleep do people open their shitty mouths without verifying?

To those that didn't see the links, I'm re-posting here again. .

Nonsense!

Yahoo's Source: http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-thousands-may-lose-internet-july-181324701--finance.html
FBI's Source: www.fbi.gov/DNS-changer-malware.pdf
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by shorxynla(m): 3:19pm On Jun 06, 2012
Just check mine and I was safe
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by KokoBeware: 4:12pm On Jun 06, 2012
I was just thinking this could be a ploy by the FBI/CIA or whatever to spread their malware and get people infected... I mean seriously, come to think of it.. if you loose internet on your pc, are you not going to ever get it back? If you scanned on this website now, and you get a red alert that your system is infected, what are you going to do about it now? Can we not remove this infection after July after we find that we have lost internet... without having to additionally jeopardise our lives by dealing with the people who wrote stuxnet and flame malware cyberwar tools that has ravaged the middle eastern countries?

You said it all bro.. though i dont think its the FBI the whole thing is the scam itself, anyone that followed the link has unknowingly made his/her system vulnurable.. but its crazy how this made the front page
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Piyke: 4:16pm On Jun 06, 2012
Just checked mine and was given the all green. thanks men!!
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jun 06, 2012
just like www.pmnewsnigeria.com has been seriously hacked.many sites that i used to visit are affected also. Thats why you need to be careful of what u download or run on your computer especially in the name of freebies.nothing comes very free, they come with poison. Never knew my computer had over 40 malware despite of stong antivirus only to buy malbtye software and voila, 48 dangerous malware was detected in dangerous location. Be warned. Know what to download and what not to. Very soon now, the will start targeting phones

(1) (2) (3)

Windows 10 Will Log You In Using Your Biometric Data / Step By Step Info On How To browse With Dstv Decoder And Cable Modem / Ipad Versus Samsung Galaxy Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.