Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,777 members, 7,802,386 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App (2624 Views)

RIP Nokia! Nokia CEO Cries Uncontrollably As Microsoft Acquires Nokia / MTN Finally Acquires Visafone / DONE DEAL : Facebook Officially Acquires Whatsapp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by JideTheBlogger(m): 9:51pm On Jun 06, 2012
Recently, Google acquired Meebo. Today, Google has just made a very important acquisition. Google has acquired Quickoffice, which is known as one of the very best, if not the best mobile office applications on any mobile platform. It makes QuickOffice Pro HD, one of the leading iPad office suites. Along with the technology, Google also acquired the team behind it, a very experienced group of people that have been working on QuickOffice probably for more than a decade.

In a blog post announcing the acquisition, Google Engineering Director Alan Warren said, “Quickoffice has an established track record of enabling seamless interoperability with popular file formats, and we’ll be working on bringing their powerful technology to our Apps product suite.”

That’s interesting because, while Google Docs already works with “popular file formats”—i.e. Microsoft’s Word, Excel, and PowerPoint—the process isn’t pretty: When you upload Office files to Google Docs in their native format, Google Docs converts them to its own formats before you can edit them; you may lose some document formatting in the process. And if you want to edit those Office documents on an iPad, you’ll have to make do with the mobile version of Google Documents, which is clumsy at best.

QuickOffice, on the other hand, works with Office docs without disruption. It preserves almost all formatting and other document characteristics in the round trip from Office on a Mac to the iPad and back. The suite has always worked nicely with Google Docs as well as Dropbox.

Buying QuickOffice will also help with pushing Android into the enterprise market. Google can now offer a more fully featured office app on Android phones and tablets, which will most likely appeal to the more sophisticated customers.

Finally, given that Google Docs is giving way to Google Drive, it’ll be interesting to see how QuickOffice’s technology will be incorporated into Google’s online editing tools, as well.

How important is mobile going to be in the next chapter of the office suite wars? Does this move give Google a leg up on Microsoft?

Source: http://googleblog..com/2012/06/google-quickoffice-get-more-done.html
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jun 06, 2012
I am d first person 2 comment here today.. Thats fun
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Omzie(m): 11:07pm On Jun 06, 2012
[/color][color=#990000]Since mobile devices are †ђξ future I think google is getting †ђξ upper hand here and would probably kick microsoft out unless they(microsoft) do something.
And let's see how windows 8 turns out on mobile devices. Would be fun to see windows competing with android in †ђξ mobile market.
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jun 06, 2012
second! grin...dammit OMZIE! third!
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jun 06, 2012
Those Google brothers are smart.
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jun 06, 2012
Breaking news. Google has taken over the world.
On a more serious note google has succeeded in changing the game entirely. Too bad microsoft has lost out on this one.
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by damola1: 11:14pm On Jun 06, 2012
Can't beat them, join them. Money can't buy everything. So, buy it before it overtakes you!
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by kafero(m): 11:20pm On Jun 06, 2012
Google is fighting a three prong war - against Facebook, Apple( Google will soon launch an Ipad- like device) and now Microsoft. I think Google will get too big such that it will have no focus, wearing itself thin in the process and that will be Google's undoing!

1 Like

Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by damola1: 11:22pm On Jun 06, 2012
kafero: Google is trying to start a two prong war - one against Facebook and the other against Apple( Google will soon lauch an Ipad- like device). I think Google will get too big such that it will have no focus and that will be Google's undoing!

You think wrongly. Google's grip over it's $190B search box is undoubtedly the focus.

Every other thing is just to keep it in line. From Gmail, to Google docs. to GNBO... to Youtube, to Android.. it's simply important to stay relevant at this time. Why would amazon own a kindle if not for amazon.com, besides they've got the resources!
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by kafero(m): 11:27pm On Jun 06, 2012
damola1:

You think wrongly. Google's grip over it's $190B search box is undoubtedly the focus.

Every other thing is just to keep it in line. From Gmail, to Google docs. to GNBO... to Youtube, to Android.. it's simply important to stay relevant at this time. Why would amazon own a kindle if not for amazon.com, besides they've got the resources!

My Brother do you honestly think Google can fight three monster ( Facebook, Microsoft and Apple ) at the same time even with $190B war chest and survive?
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jun 06, 2012
Damola is totally correct.
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by AZeD1(m): 11:58pm On Jun 06, 2012
kafero:

My Brother do you honestly think Google can fight three monster ( Facebook, Microsoft and Apple ) at the same time even with $190B war chest and survive?

Google is converging everything search, social, office which you can do with mobile phones hence android.
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by damola1: 12:39am On Jun 07, 2012
kafero:

There's no monster anywhere. Microsoft is dead meat... And Google as successfully avoided what killed Microsoft and yahoo. Apple is king of product marketing, and improved consumer experience not neccessarily innovation converging both hardware, software, blah blah blah...but make no mistake, the war is on mobiles... mobiles rule the world... that's why Google bought Motorola, not for its hardware...no no...maybe secondary reason, but for patents, for search.. oh yes!.. for Android... ios vs Android... android is to mobiles what Microsoft is to computers... Apple will try, they'll continue to try, but you just can't beat free stuff, and there's where google.com comes into play again!.. so my brother, it looks like fight of the titans, but really, Google is light years ahead! and they are all in a different playing field so far...

Facebook is on its own tuff.. they won Google hands down with Google+... but with this acquisition strategy that google is wearing on, rather than the build it from scratch idea...never say never... there some really really good buys out there.. and cash is king!

1 Like

Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by dmainboss: 2:38am On Jun 07, 2012
kafero:

Please help me here. Which monsters? Can't see any around.

Facebook will die a natural death like yahoo except they perform some kind of magic and reinvent themselves. They are standing on a faulty leg. What they are selling aint got long term value and is too dependent on the web page mobel which isn't the future. On mobile, facebook is just another app. Their real threat is twitter, linkedin, foursquare and even chat clients like whatsapp.

Microsoft? Dead on arrival, me thinks. With their bloated ware, they've got little chance of toppling anyone. Their main strong point was the office productivity suite and Google just pulled the rug from under their feet there. Quick office with over 300million users is a masterstroke. And without the office leverage, Microsoft has no chance. Not even Nokia can save them. They need a serious miracle here.

Apple is the only thing close to a monster here but I still can't give them a monster status because they are still way behind is terms of the services and connectivity platform. They are rock solid on the mobile platform though and thats the future. But they need to do a little bit more. Android has several advantages over them including price and free apps. But most importantly, people often forget the real strength of Google: the fact they have little or no competition in search and web data control. This is still the key. Even when I use Apple, Microsoft and facebook, I search with Google and run my website analytics with Google. My email is also Gmail. Now am going to be doing my work with Google Quickoffice and saving my work on Google Docs (Google drive) then when am done, I go watch Google youtube which is virtually embedded on every website. Then there is adsence and add words. Pwew!

2 Likes

Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Nobody: 5:17am On Jun 07, 2012
It is a strategy to keep Google users within Google territory.That means more profits!
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Nobody: 7:24am On Jun 07, 2012
Have you guys heard of the google glass project, driverless automobiles, google internet t.v. These so called monsters mentioned above just can`t match them.
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Onyenna(m): 7:36am On Jun 07, 2012
Wow!!!!.....the google guys are really smart!!!!..... Amazing move!!! Everything is gradually moving towards google......
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Henley96: 8:57am On Jun 07, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]Great idea!
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by mrperfect(m): 9:29am On Jun 07, 2012
Good for them.
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by denzel2009: 9:51am On Jun 07, 2012
dmainboss:

Please help me here. Which monsters? Can't see any around.

Facebook will die a natural death like yahoo except they perform some kind of magic and reinvent themselves. They are standing on a faulty leg. What they are selling aint got long term value and is too dependent on the web page mobel which isn't the future. On mobile, facebook is just another app. Their real threat is twitter, linkedin, foursquare and even chat clients like whatsapp.

Microsoft? Dead on arrival, me thinks. With their bloated ware, they've got little chance of toppling anyone. Their main strong point was the office productivity suite and Google just pulled the rug from under their feet there. Quick office with over 300million users is a masterstroke. And without the office leverage, Microsoft has no chance. Not even Nokia can save them. They need a serious miracle here.

Apple is the only thing close to a monster here but I still can't give them a monster status because they are still way behind is terms of the services and connectivity platform. They are rock solid on the mobile platform though and thats the future. But they need to do a little bit more. Android has several advantages over them including price and free apps. But most importantly, people often forget the real strength of Google: the fact they have little or no competition in search and web data control. This is still the key. Even when I use Apple, Microsoft and facebook, I search with Google and run my website analytics with Google. My email is also Gmail. Now am going to be doing my work with Google Quickoffice and saving my work on Google Docs (Google drive) then when am done, I go watch Google youtube which is virtually embedded on every website. Then there is adsence and add words. Pwew!

That could also affect them negatively cos they wield too much power and people don't like to be controlled.

How can microsoft be dead on arrival when they have products and technologies that businesses/consumers all around the world depend on. MSoffice is just a tiny part of the conglomerate!
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by ITbomb(m): 9:56am On Jun 07, 2012
The Big G
When are we seeing the Google Laptop?
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by DAvIt0(m): 12:59pm On Jun 07, 2012
#google #moveon
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by spendogram: 2:52pm On Jun 07, 2012
Easy to see the handwriting on the wall. Go mobile or perish.
Also,it is noteworthy that unlike about three decades ago, large companies now understand that small fast growing companies must be bought. If not, that small fast growing company will become the market leader and your major competitor.It may even send you out of the market.
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Ajibel(m): 8:35pm On Jun 07, 2012
soon them go buy Nigeria grin grin grin grin
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Zaccshegzy(m): 9:26pm On Jun 07, 2012
Google all the way.
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by Man51ut(m): 1:50am On Jun 08, 2012
Possibly Dumb question, but couldn't quickoffice's popularity have something to do with the fact that it works really well with the ubiquitous MS Office? I'm thinking that quickoffice is the little sparrow on the back of microsofts hippo.m
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by johnie: 9:43am On Jun 08, 2012
ITbomb: The Big G
When are we seeing the Google Laptop?

Laptop?

Do you mean tablet?
Re: Google Acquires Quickoffice Mobile App by dejiswaggs(m): 10:22pm On Jun 10, 2012
Choi! I'm loving this tread die and I must say tumbs up to jidetheblogger! You are doing a great job. The truth is , the internet business is a big game. Google is going to the market , facebook have Aids , twittter is 'jogging' i.e they are going steady! Apple is performing magic for thier cultlike comsumersand others are getting the 'small' millions they could online.
WAIT!
How many prominent Nigerian Internet Entreprenur do we have.
Foget ohh Naija is a big market , God help me , I want to start up an online biz Group that could conpete with the big boys.
You guys need to search this ; 'if you want to be the next internet billionaire move to Africa'

(1) (Reply)

BLU Phone / How Do I Move My Application From Phone To Sd Card / Whats Your Opinion On These Phones?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.