Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? (10346 Views)

Our People Are So Bush And Uncultured...... Picture included / Why Do Nigerians Think White People Are Ugly? / Why Do Nigerians Like To Yab(insult) people? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by FSU: 2:17am On Jun 07, 2012
Why do Nigerians eat bush rat and not house rat? It is called Ewi or Eyi in Igbo language
I am aware that this rat is eaten in all places it is found in Nigeria which includes SE, SS, SW and NC, as well as in Cameroon and the Congos. I am not aware it is eaten in the core North of Nigeria perhaps because it is not found there.

So why do we eat the bush rat and not the house rat?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by FSU: 10:37pm On Jun 07, 2012
So you guys don't know why you eat bush, and not house rat? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:20pm On Jun 07, 2012
because house rat carries human disease like dengue.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by anonymous6(f): 10:43am On Jun 18, 2012
I guess because rat carry a negative stigma with them, and one of it is disease and etc but bush meat has no stigma attached to it
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by ifyalways(f): 5:02pm On Jun 18, 2012
How big is the house rat?who would waste his or her time hunting for a game that can't even feed a kid?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by Afam4eva(m): 5:28pm On Jun 18, 2012
ifyalways: How big is the house rat?who would waste his or her time hunting for a game that can't even feed a kid?
But that's not the reason why Nigerians don't eat house rats. I think it has to do with the psyche of Nigerians. They feel house rats are dirty and irritating whereas that title is supposed to belong to the bush rat.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by ifyalways(f): 5:38pm On Jun 18, 2012
You may be right but I think size matters, to me especially.
Why do we ignore lizards but devour alligator?

If I must eat a frog, I would most definitely have my eyes on the biggest one.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by Afam4eva(m): 5:40pm On Jun 18, 2012
ifyalways: You may be right but I think size matters, to me especially.
Why do we ignore lizards but devour alligator?

If I must eat a frog, I would most definitely have my eyes on the biggest one.
You and who dey devour lizard and aligator and even frog...Tufiakwa. I think i'll stick with Chicken.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by ifyalways(f): 6:00pm On Jun 18, 2012
Lmao.
Afam you've not tasted an alligator?you are missing oh.
I meant that I've not heard or seen anyone consume lizard but a lot of us eat alligator. They're are almost same except for size.
The frog part is an idiom. But wait oh, I've eaten either frog or toad somewhere @ isikwuato. It was very well prepared, spicy and delish. Ha na akpo ya "jumping chicken" .
Enjoy your chicken Afam and make it okuko igbo.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by jeminetemi: 4:43pm On Mar 16, 2013
I know that I'm almost a year too late for this, but I could not help but reply.

House rats are much quicker than bush rats--thus difficult to catch. In addition, most house rats are caught by poison or traps, which destroy them utterly--who wants to eat that? Assuming one can catch a house rat, intact and without poison, it would take about 30 house rats to equal one bush rat. Why even bother preparing a meal of one house rat?

NOTE: bush rats often carry the same diseases as house rats. Cooking meat well usually kills any microorganisms.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by IGBOSON1: 9:03pm On Mar 16, 2013
ifyalways: How big is the house rat?who would waste his or her time hunting for a game that can't even feed a kid?

^^^I guess you've not met the giant gutter rats of Agege then? shocked; those creatures are huge, disgusting and are getting bolder by the day! Quite frankly, with these monsters, i find it really hard to tell where rats end and nchi (bush rat) begins!

It's b'cos of the uncanny resemblance nchi has with nasty rats that i've NEVER eaten anu-nchi in my life!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by jeminetemi: 6:47pm On Mar 17, 2013
Meat na meat, bo. LOL. If you're hungry enough, you won't discriminate. wink
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by pirate1: 9:34pm On Mar 19, 2013
so the question is not whether u eat rat or not....but what kind of rat you eat? shocked
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 19, 2013
Eating Rat Sounds Disgusting.

Again...

Any Humanoid who eats any Four Legged Organism is a Basic Savage.

That includes Bovine....Swine...and any other Four Legged Organism
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by wesley80(m): 10:22pm On Mar 20, 2013
^I'm sure you've never heard of Tiwa Savage have you? Dude, we are proud to be Savages!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by pirate1: 12:46pm On May 09, 2013
nigerians eat rats? and the question is what type of rat? my god thank god am somali.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by allwestafrican: 5:03pm On May 09, 2013
lol,
serious food for thot grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by pirate1: 6:05pm On May 09, 2013
allwestafrican: lol,
serious food for thot grin

you meat serious thought for rat cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by dasparrow: 1:30pm On May 11, 2013
pirate1: nigerians eat rats? and the question is what type of rat? my god thank god am somali.

.....Yet you sleep on Nairaland and spend all your time - morning, noon and night - on a Nigerian forum and keep opening new accounts each time you are banned and create all sorts of useless threads about being Somali like we give a damn about somalia. You indeed have low self esteem issues and a mental problem. Go and seek professional help because you have become a nut case and a nuisance on this forum. Please just go!

@Post

I am a Nigerian but I don't eat rats, be they house rats or bush rats. I stick to goat meat, some chicken and some fish.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by pirate1: 2:07pm On May 11, 2013
dasparrow:

.....Yet you sleep on Nairaland and spend all your time - morning, noon and night - on a Nigerian forum and keep opening new accounts each time you are banned and create all sorts of useless threads about being Somali like we give a damn about somalia. You indeed have low self esteem issues and a mental problem. Go and seek professional help because you have become a nut case and a nuisance on this forum. Please just go!

@Post

I am a Nigerian but I don't eat rats, be they house rats or bush rats. I stick to goat meat, some chicken and some fish.

How do you like your rate, toasted or fried? lol
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by PAPAAFRICA: 4:09am On May 12, 2013
these are some big rats if i EVER seen that in my house im moving out. looks like a f.ucking cat!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? by Sinistami(m): 10:49pm On Jul 13, 2018
Same reason why men leave City girls to go marry in the village.

(1) (Reply)

Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing / The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. / Horn Africans Are NOT BLACK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.