Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? (10603 Views)

Which Author's Books Have You Read The Most? / All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by hortongate(m): 8:16pm On Nov 22, 2007
After reading the thread about novels you'll like to see in a movie, i realised that I've read "The lonely Londoners" four times over since secondary school and i can still pick it up again because all the West Indian and Nigerian characters are hilariously crazy. So, What novel(s) can you read over and again?
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by Nobody: 1:39am On Nov 23, 2007
Ivanhoe by Walter Scott or For Whom the Bell Tolls- by Hemingway plus most of the novels written by Ward Just
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by doyin13(m): 4:31am On Nov 23, 2007
wole soyinka's interpreters. I must have read it like twenty times and it reveals something new every single time.

BTW where is that book
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by angelempy(f): 12:42pm On Nov 23, 2007
LINKS OF A CHAIN by a kenyan author.
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by oreshade(m): 2:55pm On Nov 23, 2007
Scoundrels in uniform, i read it every three month
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by realdemi(f): 4:37pm On Nov 23, 2007
doyin13:

wole soyinka's interpreters. I must have read it like twenty times and it reveals something new every single time.

BTW where is that book

LOL , We've got a copy at home. But pity u're oceans away from my side of the world.

@poster
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, Pride and Prejudice (Forgot the author)and Little Women by Amy Scott. Can't get enuff of 'em,,,,,
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by illusion2: 6:36pm On Nov 26, 2007
Never.

I find it difficult reading a book twice,just like films, I can't watch a fim 2 times.
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by cooljoe(m): 5:22pm On Dec 04, 2007
Jagua Nana's Daughter by Cyprian Ekwensi.

1 Like

Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by AKO1(m): 9:44pm On Dec 04, 2007
Definately Black Boy by Richard Wright
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by ibrahiem(m): 1:03pm On Dec 05, 2007
interview with the vimpire by anne rice
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by atwa: 5:34pm On Dec 05, 2007
The Damascus Document by Tubal Rabbi Cain
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by yimiton(f): 3:11pm On Dec 06, 2007
Chinua Achebe's Things fall apart
Sidney Sheldon's If tomorrow comes
James Halperin's Truth Machin
Thomas Hardy's The mayor of Castabridge
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by hayan(m): 3:53pm On Dec 06, 2007
I can never be tired of reading the work of the Chimamanda Adichie Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow sun! Any Femi Osofisan drama also turn me on_ the prof is crazy with his art!
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by Priscila(f): 8:56pm On Dec 17, 2007
There is a book I read called my life with a criminal
a simple novel from a kenyan author. I can read it again
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by ndubest(m): 1:08pm On Dec 18, 2007
, try this
Chinua Achebe's , Things Fall apart
Elechi Amadi, Concubine
Mario Puzo, The Godfather

You will learn something new each time
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by ndubest(m): 1:40pm On Dec 18, 2007
, try this
Chinua Achebe's , Things Fall apart
Elechi Amadi, Concubine
Mario Puzo, The Godfather

The God's are not to blame etc

You will learn something new each time
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by cooljoe(m): 5:13pm On Dec 19, 2007
The Gods Are Not To Blame; what a book. Thats Ola Rotimi at his best. Never agan shall life make mockery of womanhood.
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by janami(f): 11:32pm On Dec 21, 2007
Harrold Robbins: A stone for Danny Fisher
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by MrInfo1(m): 8:23pm On Dec 23, 2007
Chike and the river

Rich dad poor dad
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by ifyalways(f): 6:06pm On Dec 24, 2007
"jaquar nana's daughter" by cyprian ekwensi.
"pretend you don't see her" by mary clark
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by dominique(f): 1:14pm On Dec 26, 2007
toads for supper by chukwuemeka ike, i've read it al leaat five times and i'm definately going to read it again. Also any book by sidney sheldon or dean koontz
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by ifyalways(f): 2:45pm On Dec 26, 2007
please ppl does anybody remember the "potters wheel" ?
who wrote it ?
i read that book when i was much younger and wud really want to do so again but unfortunately i cant remember who wrote it.heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp me.

oga seun pls dont ban me for offtopic pls oooh
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by SMC(f): 4:16pm On Dec 26, 2007
ifyalways:

please people does anybody remember the[b] "potters wheel" [/b] ?
who wrote it ?
i read that book when i was much younger and would really want to do so again but unfortunately i can't remember who wrote it.heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp me.

I remember The Potter's Wheel. It is written by Chukwuemeka Ike. I read it over 20 years ago (maybe even about 25 years). One bit stuck in my mind even till this day - that is where the wicked headmasters wife put a snake in the boys bed because he continually wet his bed. I will love to revisit this book again.
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by ifyalways(f): 5:12pm On Dec 26, 2007
SMC:

I remember The Potter's Wheel. It is written by Chukwuemeka Ike. I read it over 20 years ago (maybe even about 25 years). One bit stuck in my mind even till this day - that is where the wicked headmasters wife but a snake in the boys bed because he continually wet his bed. I will love to revisit this book again.
hehe thanks a million.now atleast i would know how to go about getting it.
talking about th book,the ones that are so vivid to me are "ukwe ndi uka" and "ibes big head".
am grateful
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by SMC(f): 7:49pm On Dec 26, 2007
You are welcome smiley
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by bibiking1(m): 8:49pm On Dec 26, 2007
Two thousand season's by Ayi Kwei Armah is a fantastic book. It takes all africans back to the place their navel was buried.

I also love works by the late Ousmane Sembene. Twas hard dropping God's bits of wood
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by sexytitan(f): 1:38am On Jan 02, 2008
It's not exactly a novel but it's a book i can read over and over again. It's "Why U Act The Way U Do" by Tim Lahaye.
It's a book on psychology kinda
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by grafikdon: 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2008
1. Death Comes as the End - Agatha Christie.

A compelling detective story set in ancient Egypt, in the home of mortuary priest Imhotep. I have read this novel countless times and will never hesitate to read it again.

2. The Great Ponds - Elechi Amadi

Drives home the horrors of the deadly influenza epidemic of 18something (referred to as 'wonjo' in the book)

3. Figure it out for Yourself - James Hadely Chase

Yeah, I know many will thump their nose on this but this was my favourite (okay one of 'em) book by Chase. Read it a billion times and never got tired of it. Well crafted tale of false accusation and avarice.

4. The 7th Scroll - Wilbur Smith

5. The Mayor of Castabridge

6. Beau Geste

7. Chaka the Zulu - T. Mofolo

9. Things Fall Apart

10. Sorrows of Satan - Marie Coreli

11. The Secret of Luca

12. She/Return of She - Rider Haggard

13. The Bride Price - Buchi Emecheta

14. Ukwa Ruo Oge Ya - T Ubesie (Igbo romance novel grin)

15. Juo Obinna - Tony Uchenna Ubesie (Nigeria/Biafra civil war era gut busting comedy)

16. Juju Rock grin grin

17 . No Longer at ease (Sequel to Things fall Apart)

19. Macbeth grin

20. Hamlet grin grin
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by blacklion(m): 3:49am On Jan 05, 2008
[I remember The Potter's Wheel. It is written by Chukwuemeka Ike. I read it over 20 years ago (maybe even about 25 years). One bit stuck in my mind even till this day - that is where the wicked headmasters wife but a snake in the boys bed because he continually wet his bed. I will love to revisit this book again.]

I vaguely recalled that she threatened to put the snake but don't think she actually did. I stand to be corrected though.

My favourites in Ike are 'Sunset in Biafra' and 'The Naked Gods'

1 Like

Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by blacklion(m): 3:51am On Jan 05, 2008
'Sunset at Dawn' - my bad!
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 06, 2008
Elechi Amadi - the concubine
Chukwuemeka Ike - The bottled leopard
Cyprian Ekwensi - Burning Grass
Enid Blyton - Mallory towers and Saint Clares.
Re: Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? by sickyria(m): 6:00pm On Jan 07, 2008
Purple Herbiscus and Half or aYellow Sun Adichie Amanda

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Life's Symphony: A Short Story / Chances / The Necklace ( A short Story) by Akintayo Akinjide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.