Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,798 members, 7,806,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Where Do Nigerian Culture(s) Fit Into The 'modern' World? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Do Nigerian Culture(s) Fit Into The 'modern' World? (1179 Views)

***nigerian Culture To Answer A Question With Another Question?*** / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria / Questions About Nigerian Culture And Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Do Nigerian Culture(s) Fit Into The 'modern' World? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 08, 2012
I'm aware that Nigeria is a country rich in many culture(s), and I've been privileged to read about some of them on the internet. African American scholars like : Prof. Leonard Jeffries, Dr. Ivan Van Sertima (R.I.P), Dr. John Henrik Clarke, Dr. Chancellor Williams (destruction of black civilization) etc. have written books, and have proved with academic scholarships that the African fits in perfectly into the 'modern' world. Because it was the same culture(s) that laid the foundation for everything we've today..

All Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) are an off-shoot of African spirituality. And science and technology, language, speech, modern medicine, architecture, banking etc. have their roots on the African continent..

If all these assertions are true, why do we as Nigerians (Africans in general) find it difficult to embrace our culture (root) whilst still maintaining our relationship with the 'modern' world?
Re: Where Do Nigerian Culture(s) Fit Into The 'modern' World? by LongOne1(m): 3:34pm On Jun 08, 2012
I guess it’s because we haven’t moved on with time, but rather choose to remain backward in some areas. We seem to dwell more on the past, whereas we should be looking towards the future, as we live in a fast-paced world.
We say ‘this is how it has always been done, so it is correct’ whereas we should be thinking how we can make things better.

This, of course has its advantages as well as disadvantages. Still, I think the negatives should be eliminated.
Re: Where Do Nigerian Culture(s) Fit Into The 'modern' World? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:50pm On Jun 08, 2012
hypeman:

All Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) are an off-shoot of African spirituality. And science and technology, language, speech, modern medicine, architecture, banking etc. have their roots on the African continent..

you are senseless fool. i never knew Africa is in the middle-East. angry tongue
Re: Where Do Nigerian Culture(s) Fit Into The 'modern' World? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

you are senseless fool. i never knew Africa is in the middle-East. angry tongue

Please, stop the name calling. All the three religions are allegories from ancient African folk-lore. Almost everything in bible, quran, and torah are in hieroglyphics on the pyramids in Egypt. I'm not here to debate that today. Get the Egyptian book of the death to educate your African mind.

And middle-east is a british creation (there is no middle-east), it used to be part of Africa, just saying.
Re: Where Do Nigerian Culture(s) Fit Into The 'modern' World? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:14pm On Jun 09, 2012
hypeman:

Please, stop the name calling. All the three religions are allegories from ancient African folk-lore. Almost everything in bible, quran, and torah are in hieroglyphics on the pyramids in Egypt. I'm not here to debate that today. Get the Egyptian book of the death to educate your African mind.

And middle-east is a british creation (there is no middle-east), it used to be part of Africa, just saying.

ARE YOU MAD angry angry angry THOSE HEIRLOGLYPHS TALK ABOUT EGYPTIAN TRADITIONAL RELIGION, NOT YOUR SENSELESS TRIAD RELIGIONS WHICH NEVER EVEN EXISTED BACK THEN. angry angry angry angry angry angry

[img]http://www.civilisations.ca/cmc/exhibitions/civil/egypt/images/reli01b.jpg[/img]

Re: Where Do Nigerian Culture(s) Fit Into The 'modern' World? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jun 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

ARE YOU MAD angry angry angry THOSE HEIRLOGLYPHS TALK ABOUT EGYPTIAN TRADITIONAL RELIGION, NOT YOUR SENSELESS TRIAD RELIGIONS WHICH NEVER EVEN EXISTED BACK THEN. angry angry angry angry angry angry

[img]http://www.civilisations.ca/cmc/exhibitions/civil/egypt/images/reli01b.jpg[/img]

Na wa o. Dude, you seriously need to calm down. Instead of all these name calling why not ask him to explain/substantiate his claims/assertions.
You know, we could always learn something new. Keeping an open mind is good. Trust me.
Re: Where Do Nigerian Culture(s) Fit Into The 'modern' World? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:04pm On Jun 12, 2012
hypeman:
1. I'm aware that Nigeria is a country rich in many culture(s), and I've been privileged to read about some of them on the internet. African American scholars like : Prof. Leonard Jeffries, Dr. Ivan Van Sertima (R.I.P), Dr. John Henrik Clarke, Dr. Chancellor Williams (destruction of black civilization) etc. have written books, and have proved with academic scholarships that the African fits in perfectly into the 'modern' world. Because it was the same culture(s) that laid the foundation for everything we've today..

2. All Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) are an off-shoot of African spirituality. And science and technology, language, speech, modern medicine, architecture, banking etc. have their roots on the African continent..

3. If all these assertions are true, why do we as Nigerians (Africans in general) find it difficult to embrace our culture (root) whilst still maintaining our relationship with the 'modern' world?

Dear friend.
I hope my bad English let you get me ...
1. I am a researcher of African culture. I thank the names of these researchers, they are a good reference.
Nigeria is a country rich in culture. I regret the great lack of information that Nigerians have about it. Possibly this is the work of the work of the settlers (Europeans and Arabs).
I do not forwarded to Egypt, where I prefer to talk about African culture and traditions. No one can deny to Egypt as a reference, but Nigeria has its ancient traditions. I never understood why Nigerians in general, feel contempt for their traditions, their culture, their roots, and ultimately by their ancestors.

2.I totally agree with you. Possibly I have a slight nuance of difference, and I do not refer to Egypt alone.
I repeat, no one can deny the historical importance of Egypt, but there are elements of the rest of Africa are of great importance in the history of the world. Unfortunately, the least known of these elements are the Africans themselves.

3. No one can depart from the global context. You can not go back in time and live the past. However, you may become aware of that past that cultural richness. I understand that, possibly because of the constant invasions, Africa suffers from a profound identity crisis, and that only can be overcome by realizing that there is a common past. How is it that an African ethnic group is divided into three different countries? The African map was "squared" with the Treaty of Berlin divided the booty Europe and Africa still pays the price.
When I read in this forum, some Africans argue heatedly about the Bible; on polygamy of Islam or the virginity of Mary ... and they know their mother tongue ... read the Bible in English, and called Oloorún at the god Jew. ..
I understand that your post is a call to the conscience of Africans, which is very commendable and positive. I would like to support his proposal, and every friend of the forum meditate on what has been written here.

@ PAGAN 9JA. You know I'm a high regard for you.
Regardless of the date of Hypeman about Egypt, I believe you, he and I are saying the same thing. I, personally, would rather like you to be valued more Nigerian traditions to Egyptian, but a good starting point, have at least one critical overturning Africa to western traditions and foreign religions.
Mó jubá ö!

(1) (Reply)

Any Igbo People Know About Igbo Names? / Photos: Ogiame Ikenwoli I Is Crowned 20th Olu Of Warri / White People So Racist!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.