Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? (28734 Views)

Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park in Jamaica / Can You Choose To Come To This Life As A Black Man Once Again.? / The Most Populous Black Nation In The World - BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 8:24pm On Jun 08, 2012
?
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 08, 2012
Basically the Spaniards came and introduced some unwanted diseases to the natives who were not used to them.
Disease, persecution/murder and mixing eventually caused the population to decline.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

What does this have to do with you?
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 10:26pm On Jun 08, 2012
MsDarkSkin: Basically the Spaniards came and introduced some unwanted diseases to the natives who were not used to them.
Disease, persecution/murder and mixing eventually caused the population to decline.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

lol, blame it on whitey. but isnt that what i said earlier? that europeans with the help of people from the continent of africa who are obsessed with the color black wiped the indigenous people off the land?

so now the important question is: are there remants of the indigenous people still in jamaica? if they are still there, are they happy that the land of their fathers is now regarded as a "black" nation and do they identify as black?

What does this have to do with you?

curiosity.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by tpia5: 11:13pm On Jun 08, 2012
interesting question.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 12:43am On Jun 09, 2012
#%&@:

so now the important question is: are there remants of the indigenous people still in jamaica? if they are still there, are they happy that the land of their fathers is now regarded as a "black" nation and do they identify as black?

Well you have the "Maroon" people.
A lot of whom are descendants of the Tainos and Africans. My family on my maternal side are descendants of Maroons. Mind you the "mix" between the two groups occured YEARS ago. With more Africans entering the island, the more the "mixed" peoples married into the black population. I doubt the Tainos cared about color seeing as how they were the one who used to raid slave plantations and free slaves. They taught the Africans how to set up traps to fight the British and Spanish as well as how to maneuver and use to their advantage, the Jamaican landscapes. So if anything despite them knowing they were declining in numbers, they still viewed the captive Africans as their brothers. Here is a video about Tainos and Africans in PUERTO RICO but is the same story as in Jamaica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quet918aoMM

Because many other islands still have significant Indian populations, their natives prefer to be called what ever tribe they were simply because they are still present. Spaniards, French and the English wanted us Caribbean folks to believe the Tainos and Caribes are an extinct group. That is not the case. So if you see a Taino descendant "bigging up" their Taino roots (unless we are talking the Dominican Republic where they are ashamed of their blackness) it is to fight that lie that they all died out. The Tainos even to this day are very accepting people just as their ancestors were. The Pan-Indigenous groups are trying to find evidence of Taino presence and influence in Jamaica. They visit various maroon camps and are eager to learn about their "Africanized" brethren.

Here are some Taino women singing smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y-iWkjenHw

They taught us that "Jamaica" came from the Taino word "Xaymaca".

Xaymaca means "land of wood and water". Jerk chicken is also a delicacy introduced by the Tainos who invented "grilling" wink

I hope I have answered your questions. tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 1:01am On Jun 09, 2012
Viewing this topic: Goop and 1 guest(s)

Interesting.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 1:59am On Jun 09, 2012
grin yeah yeah yeah, i dont care about the supposed brotherly love between the natives and people of african descent but historically it was not a black nation. u guys with the help of europeans went there and colonized their asses. you then reduced their population drastically and when the europeans decided to hand over power, they handed over to the people of african descent who gave the nation a new "black" identity while the natives were left out in the cold. you then wiped off their civilization and replaced with afrocentrism that they never gave a sh1t about. it seems the indigenous people got the shorter end of the stick and the people of african descent are the ones who benefitted most from the colonization of the land because today jamaica is a "black" nation that identifies with africa and not europe. so are the natives in any prominent position in jamaica?

1 Like

Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 2:06am On Jun 09, 2012
#%&@:
grin yeah yeah yeah, i dont care about the supposed brotherly love between the natives and people of african descent but historically it was not a black nation. u guys with the help of europeans went there and colonized their asses. you then reduced their population drastically and when the europeans decided to hand over power, they handed over to the people of african descent who gave the nation a new "black" identity while the natives were left out in the cold. you then wiped off their civilization and replaced with afrocentrism that they never gave a sh1t about. it seems the indigenous people got the shorter end of the stick and the people of african descent are the ones who benefitted most from the colonization of the land because today jamaican is a "black" nation that identifies with africa and not europe. so are the natives in any prominent position in jamaica?

You asked me a question and I answered it.
So unless you are Jamaican and know my history from the time the Tainos left Venezuela and populated my island until now. I suggest you keep your assumptions to yourself, "Royal".

How did "blacks benefit"? It wasn't until recently we had a full black prime minister. Michael Manley, Edward Seaga and Alexander Bustamante were biracials/creoles and before them were whites. Most of Jamaica's poor is black while the mixed race, white and non-blacks own the most businesses and hold prominent positions. So how are we benefiting from their loss? What are we supposed to forget we came from Africa? To take up the Taino identity? Smell the jerk seasoning and wake up from your dream. To imply we "killed off the indians" as if it were our fault we were brought to island in chains is preposterous and HIGHLY offensive. Then you talk about how Tainos of my island don't care about "black pride", YET as I said before they were the ones who sheltered, mixed with and LIVED LOVING with the Africans. So really your socalled "disinterest" in their living as one really begs one to question, what is the point of this thread?

To continue arguing with me?

This is the face of my island...mostly black and proud...we don't apologize for it.

[img]http://www.jis.gov.jm/ja50/v2/wp-content/gallery/home/slide1_0.png[/img]

kiss kiss

We pay homage to the natives in sooo many ways...hell look up the coat of arms for fogs sakes! tongue
http://1.bp..com/_ZM1NgvuN2XQ/S7_U5TcqzVI/AAAAAAAAAD8/EEygIs7Ww1A/s1600/Jamaican_coat_of_arms.jpg

2 Likes

Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 2:35am On Jun 09, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

You asked me a question and I answered it.
So unless you are Jamaican and know my history from the time the Tainos left Venezuela and populated my island until now. I suggest you keep your assumptions to yourself, Royal.

How did "blacks benefit"? It wasn't until recently we had a full black prime minister. Michael Manley and Bustamante were biracials/creoles and before them were whites. Most of Jamaica's poor is black while the mixed race, white and non-blacks own the most businesses and hold prominent positions. So how are we benefiting from their loss? What are we supposed to forget we came from Africa? To take up the Taino identity? Smell the jerk seasoning and wake up from your dream. To imply we "killed off the indians" as if it were our fault we were brought to island in chains is preposterous and HIGHLY offensive. Then you talk about how Tainos of my island don't care about "black pride", YET as I said before they were the ones who sheltered, mixed with and LIVED LOVING with the Africans. So really your socalled "disinterest" in their living as one really begs one to question, what is the point of this thread?

To continue arguing with me?

keep ur emotions aside. im trying to understand how jamaica became a "black" nation. and from what i have gathered, it was through colonialism which u cant dispute. the indigenous people of the land never gave a sh1t about africa until the people of african descent showed up with europeans. so what are u talking about them having "black pride"? did their ancestors who lived on the land for centuries before u and the europeans showed up give a sh1t about "black pride" or afrocentrism? lol, i dont think so. and i doubt they even knew u existed somewhere in africa but u can always correct me if im wrong.

now, it doesn’t matter when u had a "full black” PM, who cares? when u are not indigenous to the land? even south africa that has indigenous black people got their first black president less than two decades ago. yet u are whining of having a “full black" PM recently. lol, and i dont even want to know ur defination of "full black"

and yeah, u benefitted the most from the colonization of land because today u have a country that you are shaping its identity. and jamaica is a country that identifies with "black" africa and not europe where the first colonizers come from while a country like the US still identifies with europe. anyway, what i trying to get at is that the indigenous people got the shorter end of the stick and were left out in the cold. their population was reduced drastically and civilization destroyed.

so are the indigenous people in any prominent position in jamaica or they are still in the cold?
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 4:32am On Jun 09, 2012
#%&@:

keep ur emotions aside. im trying to understand how jamaica became a "black" nation. and from what i have gathered, it was through colonialism which u cant dispute. the indigenous people of the land never gave a sh1t about africa until the people of african descent showed up with europeans.

How could they have known about Africa much less "not give a sh1t" about it, if they did not come from there nor have they encountered Africans prior to the slave trade? Does that make ANY sense to you?

And who even mentioned continental Africa other than as the source of the "slaves"? How did you get my post was specifically about Africa? Or can you not read basic English?

so what are u talking about them having "black pride"?

When did I say the TAINOS had black pride? I said they had LOVE for the Africans who were united because of their being African, black and slaves. That bond gave birth to black awareness and the fight to be free. READ AND COMPREHEND...then post.

did their ancestors who lived on the land for centuries before u and the europeans showed up give a sh1t about "black pride" or afrocentrism? lol, i dont think so. and i doubt they even knew u existed somewhere in africa but u can always correct me if im wrong.

Again when did I say that? It really bugs my nerves when people attempt to have something to say but can't do something as simple as READ before they reply. It makes them look bad...I mean REALLY bad.

now, it doesn’t matter when u had a "full black” PM, who cares? when u are not indigenous to the land? even south africa that has indigenous black people got their first black president less than two decades ago. yet u are whining of having a “full black" PM recently. lol, and i dont even want to know ur defination of "full black"

Hmmm...sounds like somebody wants to continue the "somali" conversation on another thread.....You asked about how and why jamaica became a black island, and I am educating you. Don't be a dunce and ask questions, then claim you are not interested in the answers. You look really bad right about now.

and yeah, u benefitted the most from the colonization of land because today u have a country that you are shaping its identity.

Where is the logic in that? We are now the majority, so our being the majority automatically means we benefit? lol. Wow....We were the majority thus shaped the "culture/identity" and were still slaves. We were the majority and STILL dictated by a foreign monarch...what you mean? Come on now. Use some sense.

and jamaica is a country that identifies with "black" africa and not europe where the first colonizers come from while a country like the US still identifies with europe. anyway, what i trying to get at is that the indigenous people got the shorter end of the stick and were left out in the cold. their population was reduced drastically and civilization destroyed.

Go read a history book if my answer wasn't enough...simple.

so are the indigenous people in any prominent position in jamaica or they are still in the cold?

See above advice.

Ok, I've answered your questions...it's a wrap. smiley

Try www.google.com for more answers.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 5:17am On Jun 09, 2012
They visit various maroon camps and are eager to learn about their "Africanized" brethren.

Then you talk about how Tainos of my island don't care about "black pride", YET as I said before they were the ones who sheltered, mixed with and LIVED LOVING with the Africans.

lol, msdarkskin.. i can see na english we wan start to dey explain. if u follow the sequence of our comments, u said they are eager to learn about their "africanized" brethen. and that was when i said they never gave a sh1t about afrocentrism. then u went to blab about them caring about "black pride" that was when i replied that they never cared about such things until u showed up. and i guess i should have used ur word for word in my response and used "caring" instead of "having" so my bad. but bottom line is, they never CARED about such things until u showed up with europeans.

as for the rest of ur comment, well, u are a colonizer just like the europeans. the population of the natives declined, while urs flourished and that is not a benefit? and due to the growth in ur population, u were able to organize urselves and demanded that power be handed over to u in a land that u are not indigenous to, and that is not a benefit? and oh, everything is not in google, that was why i asked. so do u have an answer or not?
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by RoberEdward: 1:32pm On Jun 09, 2012
I think in 1914 he started the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA), in Jamaica. The UNIA, which grew into an international organisation, encouraged self-government for black people worldwide; self-help economic projects and protest against racial discrimination.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 09, 2012
#%&@:

lol, msdarkskin.. i can see na english we wan start to dey explain. if u follow the sequence of our comments, u said they are eager to learn about their "africanized" brethen. and that was when i said they never gave a sh1t about afrocentrism. then u went to blab about them caring about "black pride" that was when i replied that they never cared about such things until u showed up. and i guess i should have used ur word for word in my response and used "caring" instead of "having" so my bad. but bottom line is, they never CARED about such things until u showed up with europeans.

as for the rest of ur comment, well, u are a colonizer just like the europeans. the population of the natives declined, while urs flourished and that is not a benefit? and due to the growth in ur population, u were able to organize urselves and demanded that power be handed over to u in a land that u are not indigenous to, and that is not a benefit? and oh, everything is not in google, that was why i asked. so do u have an answer or not?

You need to look up the definition of "colony", "imperialism" and "colonize/r".

Hell I will do it for you...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/colony

col·o·ny   [kol-uh-nee]
noun, plural col·o·nies.
1. a group of people who leave their native country to form in a new land a settlement subject to, or connected with, the parent nation.

Do you know what that means?

col·o·nize   [kol-uh-nahyz]
col·o·nized, col·o·niz·ing.
verb (used with object)
to establish a colony in; settle: England colonized Australia.

Do you know what that means?

im·pe·ri·al·ism   [im-peer-ee-uh-liz-uhm]
noun
the policy of extending the rule or authority of an empire or nation over foreign countries, or of acquiring and holding colonies and dependencies.

Do you know what that one means?

Any of those sound like the Africans who were enslaved? I don't think so.

BOTTOM LINE: You make absolutely NO sense in your questions or assertions. And clearly know nothing of Caribbean history or the English language. What do you mean theirs declined while ours flourished therefore we benefited? Did you NOT read my posts at all?? And for the LAST time when did I say the Tainos cared about Africa? Go point it out since you are adamant that I did. Ridiculous. I said they cared about Africans and their fight for freedom especially since prior to the African slave trade THEY were the slaves. So by seeing another people in bondage they not only would raid the slave camps/plantations but intermixed with and lived lovingly with the Africans. The Africans belonged to different parts of the continent and tribes but their being African and black is what bonded them together as those were the main factor of why they were enslaved in the first place. I NEVER said Tainos cared about Africa. On my island, they cared for the soon to be Jamaican, Africans.

The ONLY time I used "Africanized" was when I said:

The Tainos even to this day are very accepting people just as their ancestors were. The Pan-Indigenous groups are trying to find evidence of Taino presence and influence in Jamaica. They visit various maroon camps and are eager to learn about their "Africanized" brethren.

("Africanized brethren" = maroons.) That is what i said.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jun 09, 2012
Rober Edward: I think in 1914 he started the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA), in Jamaica. The UNIA, which grew into an international organisation, encouraged self-government for black people worldwide; self-help economic projects and protest against racial discrimination.

LOL you are talking about Marcus Garvey. You are YEARS ahead brother. grin grin grin
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jun 09, 2012
See i used google.com

and came up with a few websites on Jamo history...

http://www.edunetconnect.com/cat/soccult/grnan.html

http://www.ericolsencommunications.com/maroon.html

Present day Arawak/Taino...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHGHzG902ds
Teaching black Caribbeans (Jamaicans in particular) of today their language.

History of "Jerk"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8FwLM55f9c&feature=related

We were not brought there to "steal" or "colonize". We were not viewed as the enemy for that very reason. So don't come on here and try to make it what it was not. The proper definition of "colonize", "colony", and "imperialism" does not support your claims. Our lifestyles and interactions DEFINITELY don't. We are a product of Euro-imperialism. Not part of it. We only dominate in numbers as a result of the profit made from slavery...the more slaves the stronger the empire. We did not benefit from that. ok? done.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 3:37pm On Jun 09, 2012
mzdarkskin, all u have been talking about is me, me, me, and have not said anything about the plight of the indigenous people of land. i asked u as simple question if the indigenous are in any key position in jamaica but u refered me to google and continued talking about urself. u are one hell of a colonist. and u seem to think that because u were enslaved before u took over the land, then that makes everything alright. sorry, it doesnt.

a group of people who leave their native country to form in a new land a settlement subject to, or connected with, the parent nation.

lets dwell on ur definition of colony. granted africa cannot be defined as a "nation", but isnt that what jamaica is today? and like i have repeatedly said, jamaica is a nation that identifies their motherland africa. and it is interesting to note that it is not the continent of africa as a whole it identifies with, but identifies specifically with "black" africa. so how is that not a colony using ur own definition? black-africa is the motherland and jamaica is the colony, wrong?

What do you mean theirs declined while ours flourished therefore we benefited?

so assuming their population did not decline but flourished while urs declined and never experienced growth, would you have been able to mould the culture and character of the nation to the way u want it and eventually take over land? and isnt funny that when u posted the face of jamaica it was a person of african descent u posted and not one of them? actually it is not funny but sad.

You make absolutely NO sense in your questions or assertions. And clearly know nothing of Caribbean history or the English language.

and isnt what i have been trying to learn? where are the indigenous people of jamaica. do they hold key position in the govt? are they even part of the govt? im trying to learn here and u the jamo historian have not said anything about them.. instead u keep telling me about urself and how they bailed u out from slavery because they loved u so much. but after helping u out where are they today?
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 4:00pm On Jun 09, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

LOL you are talking about Marcus Garvey. You are YEARS ahead brother. grin grin grin

lol...how does that change anything? garvey a man of african descent fought for the oppressed in jamaica and just like ghandi a man of indian descent fought for the oppressed in south africa. but the only difference is, the indigenous people of south africa did not witness drastic population decline, so the indians who fought for equality with them could not take over the land and the natives retained the power and land while the indians who were slaves or indentured servants cannot claim ownership of the land unlike in jamaica. and they cannot post an indian face as the face of south africa.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jun 09, 2012
You asked how did Jamaica become a black nation.
I answered your question. Instead you want to chastise me about something we black Jamos could not control.
Before we even got on the land, their population was ALREADY in decline. They mixed with us knowing they were a "dying" race in terms of numbers. So don't come on here and ask to know the history of my island and then accuse us black Jamaicans (who represent the face of Jamaica today - btw you didn't see any "lols" so i obviously dont find it funny) as being "colonizers".

You have a motive for your questions. You need to take up their grievances with the Spanish and British. Black Jamos are not to blame for the Taino decline. And the "fight" that Marcus Garvey put up was to identify the fact that although some of us have Taino ancestry we are still more African than anything and he was fighting for equal rights and justice of ALL people especially the black man which he felt needed to be in touch with who they really are. If the Taino on my island had a fair shot of survival, they, i am sure, would have had their own organizations. But because the Europeans introduced disease and literally killed some of them "for fun", they declined in numbers.

What ever personal feeling you have towards Jamos is on you. We left were kicked out of/sold from Africa over 400 years ago, were accepted by the natives thus making Jamaica our new home kiss. You asked about my people and I answered your questions. End of.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 4:46pm On Jun 09, 2012
MsDarkSkin: You asked how did Jamaica become a black nation.
I answered your question. Instead you want to chastise me about something we black Jamos could not control.
Before we even got on the land, their population was ALREADY in decline. They mixed with us knowing they were a "dying" race in terms of numbers. So don't come on here and ask to know the history of my island and then accuse us black Jamaicans (who represent the face of Jamaica today - btw you didn't see any "lols" so i obviously dont find it funny) as being "colonizers".

You have a motive for your questions. You need to take up their grievances with the Spanish and British. Black Jamos are not to blame for the Taino decline. And the "fight" that Marcus Garvey put up was to identify the fact that although some of us have Taino ancestry we are still more African than anything and he was fighting for equal rights and just of ALL people especially the black man which he felt needed to be in touch with who they really are. If the Taino on my island had a fair shot of survival, they, i am sure, would have had their own organizations. But because the Europeans introduced disease and literally killed some of them "for fun", they declined in numbers.

What ever personal feeling you have towards Jamos is on you. You asked about my people and I answered your questions. End of.

lol, i have nothing against jamaicans. sizzla is one of me favorite artiste and he can sing his azz off.grin and i dont have any motives coz i know civilizations come and go. nothing lasts forever and jamaica became a black nation through colonialism. but i will never lay the blame on "whitey" alone for the decline of the indigenous people and their civilization. whitey may have started it because they were trying to expand their territories but today jamaica is no longer a "white" territory like the US, but a "black" one. and now that u blacks have taken over the land, where are the indigenous people? they may have declined in numbers but where are the remnants? are they happy that jamaica is now a black nation? are they part of the govt? simple questions need simple answers not emotional responses. but if u cannot answer, then let it go.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 4:55pm On Jun 09, 2012
lol..funny video i found. it seems some whities are also whining about the current jamaica and its character. shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTAbGqyAHlo&feature=plcp

oh, and asians.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 09, 2012
#%&@:
lol..funny video i found. it seems some whities are also whining about the current jamaica and its character. shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTAbGqyAHlo&feature=plcp

oh, and asians.

Funny indeed.
If you watch the end of the FULL documentary you will realize the video is basically admitting to what I am saying. wink
As for the Irish "being slaves", the Irish slaves also OWNED African slaves, hence many Jamaicans having Irish last names. And in the documentary the Asian man admitted that the Asians moved to Jamaica and segregated themselves from the black Jamaicans. Refusing to hire them and often would not publicly interact with them. Unfortunately for them, Jamaican people are rebels so they learned the hard way that we are not "in America". Segregation won't work. wink
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 09, 2012
#%&@:

lol, i have nothing against jamaicans. sizzla is one of me favorite artiste and he can sing his azz off.grin and i dont have any motives coz i know civilizations come and go. nothing lasts forever and jamaica became a black nation through colonialism. but i will never lay the blame on "whitey" alone for the decline of the indigenous people and their civilization. whitey may have started it because they were trying to expand their territories but today jamaica is no longer a "white" territory like the US, but a "black" one. and now that u blacks have taken over the land, where are the indigenous people? they may have declined in numbers but where are the remnants? are they happy that jamaica is now a black nation? are they part of the govt? simple questions need simple answers not emotional responses. but if u cannot answer, then let it go.

it's not that I cannot answer the question...I ALREADY DID.
You fail to comprehend that. You want me to say blacks are responsible for their decline and that is false.

I don't even know why you asked me this question to begin with if you already have your personal opinion LODGED in your mind. Makes no sense.

Anyway I answered your question..you can go on about your life now.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 5:38pm On Jun 09, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

it's not that I cannot answer the question...I ALREADY DID.
You fail to comprehend that. You want me to say blacks are responsible for their decline and that is false.

I don't even know why you asked me this question to begin with if you already have your personal opinion LODGED in your mind. Makes no sense.

Anyway I answered your question..you can go on about your life now.

and why would i expect u to say that? u cannot take responsibilty for anything, no matter how small. u are the type who blames everyone else but urself. and u have not answered my question, but beating around the bush. and the video i posted are ur fellow colonists whining about you.grin

but where are the natives? u cannot answer.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:02pm On Jun 09, 2012
my friends there is still one pure Carib Tribe left.

Because of Dominica's rugged area, Caribs were able to hide from European forces. The island's east coast includes a 3,700-acre (15 km2) territory known as the Carib Territory that was granted to the people by the British Crown in 1903. There are only 3000 Caribs remaining. They elect their own chief. In July 2003, Caribs observed 100 Years of Territory. In July 2004, Charles Williams was elected as Carib Chief, who was succeeded by Chief Garnette Joseph.

MAY THE GODS BLESS THEM.

and yes the[b] blacks are responsible for their decline[/b]. angry

they stole Carib women and r.aped them. . angry angry angry angry

Carib Chief Charles Williams
[img]http://repeatingislands.files./2009/04/charleswiliams_907172170.jpg?w=500[/img]

Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 09, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
my friends there is still one pure Carib Tribe left.

Because of Dominica's rugged area, Caribs were able to hide from European forces. The island's east coast includes a 3,700-acre (15 km2) territory known as the Carib Territory that was granted to the people by the British Crown in 1903. There are only 3000 Caribs remaining. They elect their own chief. In July 2003, Caribs observed 100 Years of Territory. In July 2004, Charles Williams was elected as Carib Chief, who was succeeded by Chief Garnette Joseph.

MAY THE GODS BLESS THEM.

and yes the[b] blacks are responsible for their decline[/b]. angry

Who is talking about the Caribs?
And when were they r@ped by blacks? Seriously post some proof of that ridiculous LIE.

Guy, leave your idi0cy in the politics section.

Their (Caribs) "tribal" lifetyles have changed but their descendants are STILL very much alive. Mostly in the lesser antilles and in Cuba. So, please talk what you know.

and FYI: Carib Indians and Tainos were BITTER rivals. Two completely different people:

Population decline

The virgin soil epidemic caused by the arrival of smallpox and other diseases from Europe, combined with Spain's harsh policies of enslavement, resettlement, and the separation of families, the encomienda system, resulted in Taino society's drastic decline within a few decades after contact.[12] Attacks by Carib tribes and unrelenting harsh treatment by the Europeans accelerated the process. Although Taino society was destroyed by European expansion, some of their bloodlines persist among the new settlers, primarily Western and African peoples.
Frederick Albion Ober, after his trip in July 1898 of the West Indies, notes:

"... a barbarous fact. When the ancient Caribs came here from the south, they came as conquerors, and killed every adult male Arawak who fell into their hands. But they preserved the women and children,..."[13]

The Carib Indians were known to be cannibalistic and would sacrifice Taino men during rituals.

The population of African and Eurasian peoples in the Americas grew steadily, while the number of the indigenous people plummeted. Eurasian diseases such as smallpox, influenza, bubonic plague and pneumonic plagues devastated the Native Americans who did not have immunity. Conflict and outright warfare with European newcomers and other American tribes reduced populations and disrupted traditional society. The extent and causes of the decline have long been a subject of academic debate, along with its characterization as a genocide.[2]

There is some disagreement among scholars about how widespread warfare was in pre-Columbian America,[34] but there is general agreement that war became deadlier after the arrival of the Europeans and their firearms. Europeans had gunpowder and swords, which made killing easier and war more deadly. Europeans proved consistently successful in achieving domination in warfare with Native Americans for a variety of reasons. One reason was the staying power of the Europeans, who could call on a far ranging supply network, and could sustain a conflict over several years including the winters if necessary. Almost no Indian tribes had the stored resources to conduct a war for more than a few months. The massive death toll from disease played a major role in the European conquest, but equally decisive was the European approach to war, which was less ritualistic and more focused on achieving decisive victory.

Massacres
Main article: Indian Massacres
Las Casas and other dissenting Spaniards from the colonial period gave vivid descriptions of the atrocities inflicted upon the natives. This has helped to create an image of the Spanish conquistadores as cruel in the extreme. Even as late 1520, there were tentative parleys between the still explorative Spaniards who were continuously disadvantaged by the natives' superior knowledge of the terrain.[38][39] Great revenues were drawn from Hispaniola so the advent of losing manpower didn't benefit the Spanish crown. At best, the reinforcement of vanguards sent by the Council of the Indies to explore the Caribana country and gather information on alliances or hostilities was the main goal of the local viceroys and their adelantados.[40] Although mass killings and atrocities were not a significant factor in native depopulation, no mainstream scholar dismisses the sometimes humiliating circumstances now believed to be precipitated by civil disorder as well as Spanish cruelty.[41][42]
However, in many areas settlers and even governments did engage in what have been called "democides", usually against nomadic Indian tribes who were seen solely as hindrances to land use by European settlers.[citation needed] Whether or not these people were non-combatants (intruding on the term "massacre"wink is a subject to debate. Notable democides include:

The Taínos in the Antilles (Some believe 80% of the population disappeared in thirty years).[4] The smallpox outbreak in 1518–1519 wiped out much of the region's indigenous population.[43]

The Pequot War in early New England.

In mid-19th century Argentina, post-independence leaders Juan Manuel de Rosas and Julio Argentino Roca engaged in what they presenteded as a "Conquest of the Desert" against the natives of the Argentinian interior, leaving over 1,300 indigenous dead.[44][45]

While some California tribes were settled on reservations, others were hunted down and massacred by 19th century American settlers. It is estimated that some 4,500 people of the Population of Native California suffered violent deaths between 1849 and 1870.[46][47]

[edit]Displacement and disruption
Even more consequential than warfare or mistreatment on indigenous populations was the geographic displacement of native Indian tribes. The increased European population due to immigration and high birth rates of Native European settlers put pressure on native tribes to relocate and alter their traditional ways of life. The introduction of new forms of intensive agriculture by Europeans let them grow enough food in a given area to support many more people than the native hunting and gathering societies could. Displacement of native peoples living their traditional lifestyles often resulted in decreased birth rates and often higher death rates which steadily lowered their populations for some time. In the United States, for example, the relocations of Native Americans resulting from the policies of Indian removal and the reservation system created a disruption which resulted in fewer births and a short term population decline.

The populations of many Native American peoples were reduced by the common practice of intermarrying with Europeans.[48] Although many Indian cultures that once thrived are extinct today, their descendants exist today in some of the bloodlines of the current inhabitants of the Americas.
[edit]
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jun 09, 2012
^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c49-Aw6NBZc

that and those things I posted occurred LONG before the slave trade. Which means as I said before, they were ALREADY in decline prior to our being brought to the new world.

#%&@:

and why would i expect u to say that? u cannot take responsibilty for anything, no matter how small. u are the type who blames everyone else but urself. and u have not answered my question, but beating around the bush. and the video i posted are ur fellow colonists whining about you.grin

but where are the natives? u cannot answer.

I answered your question THREE times already.

You didn't even watch the "hidden faces" documentary in it's entirety and trying to mix up Jamaican history. BIG mistake. And you don't know "my type" - what ever that means - as you don't know me. I not only answered you question (they were already in decline and mixed with the blacks) and explained to you that though there are hardly any "pure" Tainos on my island, their culture is still preserved and admired. Blacks don't even hold too many prominent positions as much as a few "rich ones", whites, biracials and other non blacks (Asians and Indians) therefore despite our being the majority, we have not benefited from that.

>>In stead of trying to chastise me for something that happened long ago, you need to ask questions with no ulterior motives and then have the nerve to claim to like Jamaican music, when you clearly don't like the people. Focus on the issues of Nigeria and how to make the nation right instead of passing false judgment on black Jamaicans when you don't know a thing about Jamaican history.

Don't expect me to reply on this nonsensical thread again.
You summoned me from the "Somali" thread and here I am thinking I am going to have a normal conversation about my island. It's apparent to me now what this is all about. Keep your thread and thank you for wasting my time. Word of advice, NEVER you ask me a question about Jamaica again. You don't want answers you want an argument. Grow up.

1 Like

Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 4:44am On Jun 10, 2012
lol @ the self-righteousness. grin i dont know you and i dont care to know you. but on this thread, u have shown urself to be a person who blames everyone else apart from urself. and now u are saying i didnt watch the video i posted? the people in that video were complaining about u from begining to end. so i dont know what u are talking about.

what i asked u is if there are remnants of indigenous people in jamaica and what is their condition, i didnt ask for "pure" natives. and from what u are now sayin is that you blacks bred whatever was left of their declining numbers out of existence and u say u are not responsible for their decline? how are u not responsible when u are the one who bred them entirely out of existence that there is not a single one left on the island coz u are yet to show me a picture of any from jamaica! and i guess u are now the new natives? haha

In stead of trying to chastise me for something that happened long ago, you need to ask questions with no ulterior motives and then have the nerve to claim to like Jamaican music, when you clearly don't like the people.

so because it happened long ago means questions should not be asked? and because i have nothing against jamaicans and like sizzla as an artiste mean i must like u? are u even a "pure" jamaican begin with since u always lay emphasis on how pure people are?

Focus on the issues of Nigeria and how to make the nation right instead of passing false judgment on black Jamaicans when you don't know a thing about Jamaican history.

yawn...

Don't expect me to reply on this nonsensical thread again.
You summoned me from the "Somali" thread and here I am thinking I am going to have a normal conversation about my island. It's apparent to me now what this is all about. Keep your thread and thank you for wasting my time. Word of advice, NEVER you ask me a question about Jamaica again. You don't want answers you want an argument. Grow up.

lol, summoned u? i posted a comment on a thread. i didnt even direct or address it to u. u felt the need to answer and demanded a new thread for it not once but twice and u said i summoned u? u really do think u are someone important, aint u? and oh, stop coming back already. but for some odd reason u cant seem to stay out.
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by member58: 4:56am On Jun 10, 2012
MsDarkSkin: The Carib Indians were known to be cannibalistic and would sacrifice Taino men during rituals.

grin now it is not only whitey u are blaming but also blaming fellow natives? but unlike u, the caribs are indigenous so it doesnt matter just like there are cannibalistic tribes all over black-africa.

PAGAN 9JA:

grin grin grin that was funny. i guess they wanted the so-called "good hair" badly.

1 Like

Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:16pm On Jun 10, 2012
#%&@:

grin now it is not only whitey u are blaming but also blaming fellow natives? but unlike u, the caribs are indigenous so it doesnt matter just like there are cannibalistic tribes all over black-africa.

Yes I agree! it was none of your the black jamaicans business to go and teach them manners. even our Igbo brothers in Nigeria were cannibals in the past. does that mean we go and teach them manners ofcourse NOT! angry

1 Like

Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jun 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Yes I agree! it was none of your the black jamaicans business to go and teach them manners. even our Igbo brothers in Nigeria were cannibals in the past. does that mean we go and teach them manners ofcourse NOT! angry

LOL you are just a confused oloshi. WTF are you talking about? grin
I said they were bitter enemies and described their relationship since you THOUGHT we were talking about the same tribe. grin Fo0l. You made yourself look MAD dumb trying to cosign with a butthurt idi0t who is mad because he lost ANOTHER debate with me and created another username using symbols tongue and you don't even understand the topic of the discussion. grin

Abeg go stick your "we should continue to worship rocks and idols" threads and tend to your crack pipe. grin

as for you @#$%% or whatever...I know who you are.
You're pathetic my love. I will let you rant because you love me that much you SUMMONED ME to this thread and want to continue arguing when like always your arguments are BASELESS. It's not that I can't stay away from this thread it's just mind boggling how you can blatantly LIE on my people and make up shyt to "get even with Ms.Dark".

LOGIC: people are already in decline...intermix with another group...COMMON SENSE they will "breed out". Their descendants will live among the new population though they won't be pure. NUH-DUH. If you said, blacks mixed with the natives hence, they contributed to the decline in that way...well yeah though it was not by force as the populations allied. But you said BLACK JAMAICANS ARE FELLOW COLONISTS. That is HIGHLY offensive and out right wrong as we didn't set out to steal land, kill and maim the people. We were brought long after that was established. SO if by speaking the truth I am "evading the blame" then so be it.

I sure hope YOU don't live in North America, especially as a black person (our population outnumbers the natives here as well wink ) because if you do I suppose that makes you a PILGRIM, MISSIONARY AND EXECUTIONER grin grin Hediot. And Sizzl[b]A[/b]<< is not the only reggae DJ out there so mentioning a random name won't change your obvious bias.

Viewing this topic: MsDarkSkin(f) and 1 guest(s)

kiss kiss as always..I am sure when you THINK of something or I leave...ONE
you will post a response. grin
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jun 10, 2012
MsDarkSkin: You asked me a question and I answered it.
So unless you are Jamaican and know my history from the time the Tainos left Venezuela and populated my island until now. I suggest you keep your assumptions to yourself, "Royal".

...How did my name get in here? LmL
Re: How Did Jamaica Become A "Black" Nation? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 10, 2012
inresting thread though....Similar situation has taken place in mexico...but reverse

Mexico use to have a Large Black Population 100-200 years ago...

They have all mysteriously disappeared....

Most Logical people suspect Mass Killings of Blacks...

Where did all the Black People in Mexico go?...Have they vanished?..

...Hmm..Is my Lovely Beautiful Future Baby Mother Ms Dark implying that this educated Nigerian Brotha you are debating is Me?....

..Check his post history...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Colourful Pictures From The Anambra State New Yam Festival / New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday / 21 Ibadan Obas Drop Crowns, Reconcile With Olubadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.