Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? (5930 Views)

Ooni Of Ife's Wives As They Prepare To Bury Their Husband (photos) / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? / 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by MrGlobe(m): 11:46pm On Jun 08, 2012
Please I need an answer. A friend was just in Abeokuta - the second most ancient city in the world after oyo - and each and every house he saw had this white burial site in the balconies! Being an outsider, he thought and still think it nasty (I do too)! He couldn't even enter houses with such according to him.. Why not let the dead RIP? Is it a culture? Whats the symbolism and how does it relate to the 21st century.
*Disclaimer: I didnt intend bashing the tribe with this thread, I just thought there is a need to correct the mistakes of the past generations*
we were just having a chat about how weird the yeroba tribe is and this topic came up.

Explain!
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:52am On Jun 09, 2012
Ibadan is the second most ancient city in the world Where did you get that from I guess you meant second most ancient city in yoruba land...Dude you are very funnnnny!
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Nobody: 2:53am On Jun 09, 2012
If you need to make stories up, adjust it before posting on NL.

None of my dead family/relatives were buried in our backyard.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by moshoodn(m): 5:00am On Jun 09, 2012
YOUR FRIEND DIDN'T SAMPLE RANDOMLY.

GO CHECK OUT ANOTHER AREA IN ABEOKUTA FOR YOURSELF TO SUBSTANTIATE HIS CLAIM.

PS: I'M FROM ABEOKUTA, BASED IN LAGOS.
NO BALCONY BURIALS IN MY AREA.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by MrGlobe(m): 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2012
Ok, am back. Am quite surprised at the response. I called my friend to confirm and even though he was laughing when I told him I brought it online. He did confirm it true. In abeokuta, ogun state. Each and every house has a burial site at the balconies. Why is it so. I may be reaching by generalizing it as Yoruba but my question is: is it in any way obtainable (do some or all abeokuta people engage in this practise) and if yes, why? Like having a visitor and the first thing he sees before entering your house is a burial site right in your building.

We are learning
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:26pm On Jun 12, 2012
NRI PRIEST: Ibadan is the second most ancient city in the world Where did you get that from I guess you meant second most ancient city in yoruba land...Dude you are very funnnnny!
According to mythology Yoruba, Oduduwa (the patriarch Yoruba) founds first Ile Ife.
According to that, Ile Ife would be the oldest city Yoruba.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:55pm On Jun 12, 2012
I'm a foreigner. Just a researcher of African culture, and especially the Yoruba.
I confess I am somewhat surprised by this question, and nobody has had a reply.
Historically, the Yoruba tradition indicated that the ancestors must be buried at home. This tradition was banned by the Europeans. These burials, now, (by Western influence) may seem strange, in fact relate to the profound respect for the ancestors.
In times of slavery, that tradition is intended to continue in some countries in South América with varied luck. When slavery was abolished, some houses remained a symbolic place, sometimes called Igbalé (whose translation is complex, I hope that some Yoruba step in and correct my statements or claims-)
An old Yoruba proverb says "We stand on the shoulders of our ancestors."
It is a sensitive matter on which we disagree or not, but that is part of the tradition and ancient culture of the people.
I hope some Yoruba brother membership extend the comment
My respects to all, especially for my dear friend Odumchi!
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 12, 2012
Ptolomeus: I'm a foreigner. Just a researcher of African culture, and especially the Yoruba.
Historically, the Yoruba tradition indicated that the ancestors must be buried at home. This tradition was banned by the Europeans. These burials, now, (by Western influence) may seem strange, in fact relate to the profound respect for the ancestors.
In times of slavery, that tradition is intended to continue in some countries in South América with varied luck. When slavery was abolished, some houses remained a symbolic place, sometimes called Igbalé (whose translation is complex, I hope that some Yoruba step in and correct my statements or claims-)
It is a sensitive matter on which we disagree or not, but that is part of the tradition and ancient culture of the people.

The poster is a tribalist, and Igbo man who despises Yorubas.

The topic has already been answered. Yorubas do not bury their dead where the poster states. You'll learn to decipher real question from tribalist questions on NL.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by MrGlobe(m): 7:11pm On Jun 12, 2012
@ptolomeus please ignore this bigot. She is known all over this website for trash talking.

Am glad you need this for research, for me, I just wanted to increase my knowledge. You can confirm what I said from Abeokuta precisely in ogun state. I told my friend to see if he can get pictures but he said it would be embarrassing to do so. But he promises you will easily see these sites in the heart of the night. Please you can confirm and update me on your findings. It would be appreciated. Meanwhile goodluck with your research on the tribe. I think they are still backwards as regards civilization so you can still easily find real & unadultrated cultural materials and discoveries from them. Please do share with us here.
All the best
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:27pm On Jun 12, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

The poster is a tribalist, and Igbo man who despises Yorubas.

The topic has already been answered. Yorubas do not bury their dead where the poster states. You'll learn to decipher real question from tribalist questions on NL.
I am a foreigner and do not speak English. Just use a translator.
I do not mean to offend anyone. Perhaps I did not understand some sarcasm used. If my comment offended you I beg you to excuse me. I said seriously, and trying to make things I've learned. I could never offend the Yoruba people, so I explained in the previous post.
Get you and all that apply my sincere apologies.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:32pm On Jun 12, 2012
Mr. Globe:
@ptolomeus please ignore this bigot. She is known all over this website for trash talking.

Am glad you need this for research, for me, I just wanted to increase my knowledge. You can confirm what I said from Abeokuta precisely in ogun state. I told my friend to see if he can get pictures but he said it would be embarrassing to do so. But he promises you will easily see these sites in the heart of the night. Please you can confirm and update me on your findings. It would be appreciated. Meanwhile goodluck with your research on the tribe. I think they are still backwards as regards civilization so you can still easily find real & unadultrated cultural materials and discoveries from them. Please do share with us here.
All the best

Dear friend.
I do not know Abeokuta. I do not know Nigeria. I can not say that there is something I have not seen. In my role as researcher, I referred to historical facts, that I personally consider worthy of greater respect and admiration for the Yoruba people.
Please accept my great respect!
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by moshoodn(m): 11:42pm On Jun 12, 2012
Ptolomeus: I'm a foreigner. Just a researcher of African culture, and especially the Yoruba .

Ptolomeus:

Dear friend.
I do not know Abeokuta. I do not know Nigeria. I can not say that there is something I have not seen. In my role as researcher, I referred to historical facts, that I personally consider worthy of greater respect and admiration for the Yoruba people.
Please accept my great respect!

THOSE TWO BOLDED COMMENTS DO NOT CORRELATE MR.

HOW COME YOU STUDYING THE YORUBA CULTURE AND YET YOU DO NOT KNOW NIGERIA ??

HMMMMMMM, ITS LIKE YOU TELLING ME YOU STUDYING THE JEWS AND YOU DON'T KNOW ISRAEL.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2012
moshoodn:

THOSE TWO BOLDED COMMENTS DO NOT CORRELATE MR.

HOW COME YOU STUDYING THE YORUBA CULTURE AND YET YOU DO NOT KNOW NIGERIA ??

HMMMMMMM, ITS LIKE YOU TELLING ME YOU STUDYING THE JEWS AND YOU DON'T KNOW ISRAEL.

grin grin grin grin

If you allow me, I'll write in small letters, as a matter of education.
You say I do not know Nigeria, but ... you rebate something I said? Please do it!
Need not have gone to the moon for to be NASA engineer, not having traveled the world to be a professor of geography, not being born in the nineteenth century to be a history teacher.
If you choose to, we can talk about history, traditions and culture of Yoruba you and me.
I'm agreeable to your orders.
Perhaps we can thus comprehend how it is possible that someone thousands of miles of Nigeria knows more of Nigeria than yourself.
I'm sorry I spoiled the fun.
The difference between you and me, is that I have studied, and possibly you do not have the slightest idea of ​​their own country history.
Receive you my compliments.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by ifyalways(f): 9:16pm On Jun 13, 2012
Yoruba's in my opinion and observation are known for burying the dead in the cemetries.If at all any tribe is guilty(?) of what the OP is saying at all then its the Igbos,IMO.
Nothing wrong/right in burying within or outside a living home/residential quarters,each to his own.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by aljharem(m): 9:24pm On Jun 13, 2012
What is wrong with that ?

Is it something bad or out of the extraordinary ?
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by 2CatWoman: 9:28pm On Jun 13, 2012
Mr. Globe Please I need an answer. A friend was just in Abeokuta - the second most ancient city in the world after oyo - and each and every house he saw had this white burial site in the balconies! Being an outsider, he thought and still think it nasty (I do too)! He couldn't even enter houses with such according to him.. Why not let the dead RIP? Is it a culture? Whats the symbolism and how does it relate to the 21st century.
*Disclaimer: I didnt intend bashing the tribe with this thread, I just thought there is a need to correct the mistakes of the past generations*
we were just having a chat about how weird the yeroba tribe is and this topic came up.

Mr. Globe Ok, am back. Am quite surprised at the response. I called my friend to confirm and even though he was laughing when I told him I brought it online. He did confirm it true. In abeokuta, ogun state. Each and every house has a burial site at the balconies. Why is it so. I may be reaching by generalizing it as Yoruba but my question is: is it in any way obtainable (do some or all abeokuta people engage in this practise) and if yes, why? Like having a visitor and the first thing he sees before entering your house is a burial site right in your building.

Mr Globe please if you mean no malice please take your keyboard back to the shop for a refund.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by MrGlobe(m): 10:00pm On Jun 13, 2012
ifyalways: Yoruba's in my opinion and observation are known for burying the dead in the cemetries.If at all any tribe is guilty(?) of what the OP is saying at all then its the Igbos,IMO.
Nothing wrong/right in burying within or outside a living home/residential quarters,each to his own.
taaaaaaaah. Its better to keep quiet than open your mouth and be seen as a fool. Can you back up the rubbish you typed above.
Yes I know, ve heard ikwerre people bury people in their living rooms but if you classify or generalize ikwerre as igbo you must be out of your mind. Just take you bullshyte elsewhere. Am talking balconies here not compound or backyard. Or you dont know what a balcony is..

Well am not saying this practise is bad or not, I want to just no if its obtainable (which has been already confirmed by my friend) and then why? Whats the reason for this.. I mean burying the dead/having a tomb site at balconies/veranders if not in Yoruba, then abeokuta we are sure of.

Just learning..
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by MrGlobe(m): 10:05pm On Jun 13, 2012
alj harem: What is wrong with that ?

Nothing may be wrong with it. Why is it done? There must be a reason behind it
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:47pm On Jun 13, 2012
alj harem: What is wrong with that ?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. They are traditions, and also have a reason, no doubt a Yoruba can explain. Who will judge something like that is ignorant, and unaware that each nation has its traditions, its culture and history.
My respects.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by aljharem(m): 1:29am On Jun 14, 2012
Mr. Globe:

Nothing may be wrong with it. Why is it done? There must be a reason behind it

Ok I would try and answer your question. I hope it helps since I am not an expert in yoruba tradition.

I am not aware of people being buried in balconies but I know of the burial in backyard. In my great grandmother's house ( died last year at age 125 years but no birth certificate to prove), I notice the same occurrence at the back garden. Most likely that the burial spot of Great grandfather. From this knowing full well she was born in the late 1800's I would suspect there was no cemetery dedicated for the dead unlike this days thus in other to honour the dead they did that back then. I am not sure if they still do it now (I mean it was only one person that was buried there as far as I am aware and she was not buried there).

I hope I have answered your question, again knowing full well that I am not a yoruba expert but using real life circumstances to say what I know and how I arrived to the conclusion.

Lastly, That is not Yoruba tradition !!!!
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by aljharem(m): 1:29am On Jun 14, 2012
Ptolomeus:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. They are traditions, and also have a reason, no doubt a Yoruba can explain. Who will judge something like that is ignorant, and unaware that each nation has its traditions, its culture and history.
My respects.

No problems smiley smiley smiley Much appreciated.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by MrGlobe(m): 6:27am On Jun 14, 2012
Very well harem.. Thanks for that matured response. Are you from abeokuta/ogun state?
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by MrGlobe(m): 6:28am On Jun 14, 2012
Ptolomeus:
My respects.
I just think it has to do with insecurity to those who dont understand we are all learning one or two here
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by moshoodn(m): 10:23am On Jun 14, 2012
Ptolomeus:

If you allow me, I'll write in small letters, as a matter of education.
You say I do not know Nigeria, but ... you rebate something I said? Please do it!
Need not have gone to the moon for to be NASA engineer, not having traveled the world to be a professor of geography, not being born in the nineteenth century to be a history teacher.
If you choose to, we can talk about history, traditions and culture of Yoruba you and me.
I'm agreeable to your orders.
Perhaps we can thus comprehend how it is possible that someone thousands of miles of Nigeria knows more of Nigeria than yourself.
I'm sorry I spoiled the fun.
The difference between you and me, is that I have studied, and possibly you do not have the slightest idea of ​​their own country history.
Receive you my compliments.
I'VE NEVER HEARD AN IDEA SO DISTORTED AND PHONEY.
YOU CLAIM TO KNOW ABOUT YORUBAS AND YET YOU DO NOT KNOW NIGERIA.

GO GET A LIFE DUDE, AND BURY YOUR LIES.

CASE CLOSED, MR!
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by moshoodn(m): 10:30am On Jun 14, 2012
Mr. Globe:

I just think it has to do with insecurity to those who dont understand we are all learning one or two here

I told you in my previous post that you should take it upon yourself to do your own survey.

Your friend sampling might not be random or a true representation of a whole.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:38pm On Jun 14, 2012
moshoodn: I'VE NEVER HEARD AN IDEA SO DISTORTED AND PHONEY.
YOU CLAIM TO KNOW ABOUT YORUBAS AND YET YOU DO NOT KNOW NIGERIA.

GO GET A LIFE DUDE, AND BURY YOUR LIES.

CASE CLOSED, MR!
You have not agreed to discuss with me ...
I regret that although I do not know Nigeria, I have more knowledge of Nigeria that you, as you live there.
That should embarrass you. Learn to write in lowercase, not rude.
Case closed? Ok. Do not forget to take your things when you leave, get a history book and study of Nigeria.

(not trip when you exit.)
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:43pm On Jun 14, 2012
Mr. Globe:

Excuse me my previous attitude. I was really upset about the unfair criticism of that other member. My only intention is to exchange information. I do not pretend to know more than anyone else ... how I could know more than you that lives in Nigeria? I just try to explain what I have learned, in the success or failure. But my intention is not to attack anyone.
Warm regards!
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:52pm On Jun 14, 2012
alj harem:

Ok I would try and answer your question. I hope it helps since I am not an expert in yoruba tradition.

I am not aware of people being buried in balconies but I know of the burial in backyard. In my great grandmother's house ( died last year at age 125 years but no birth certificate to prove), I notice the same occurrence at the back garden. Most likely that the burial spot of Great grandfather. From this knowing full well she was born in the late 1800's I would suspect there was no cemetery dedicated for the dead unlike this days thus in other to honour the dead they did that back then. I am not sure if they still do it now (I mean it was only one person that was buried there as far as I am aware and she was not buried there).

I hope I have answered your question, again knowing full well that I am not a yoruba expert but using real life circumstances to say what I know and how I arrived to the conclusion.

Lastly, That is not Yoruba tradition !!!!

My compliments, dear friend.
What you say is more accurate. According to my information, there were burials in the rear (the back) of the houses. I had never heard it do that on the balconies.
I said that this was part of the Yoruba tradition, but you may (as you say) it is a necessity, given the lack of cemeteries.
I can be wrong, but I've played that beyond that there were reasons to do that, I suppose, given the great respect that the Yoruba professed their ancestors, that also could be related. What is your opinion of that?
My question is this:
If there were no cemeteries, burials could be in a forest, right?. I sense that there might be some question on that affective and respectful. I do not say this, but I'm asking your opinions.
I hope nobody is offended, it is just an opinion.
Please accept my best regards!
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by aljharem(m): 6:16pm On Jun 14, 2012
Mr. Globe:
Very well harem.. Thanks for that matured response. Are you from abeokuta/ogun state?

No, I am from Lagos.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by aljharem(m): 6:29pm On Jun 14, 2012
Ptolomeus:

My compliments, dear friend.
What you say is more accurate. According to my information, there were burials in the rear (the back) of the houses. I had never heard it do that on the balconies.
I said that this was part of the Yoruba tradition, but you may (as you say) it is a necessity, given the lack of cemeteries.
I can be wrong, but I've played that beyond that there were reasons to do that, I suppose, given the great respect that the Yoruba professed their ancestors, that also could be related. What is your opinion of that?
My question is this:
If there were no cemeteries, burials could be in a forest, right?. I sense that there might be some question on that affective and respectful. I do not say this, but I'm asking your opinions.
I hope nobody is offended, it is just an opinion.
Please accept my best regards!

No one is offended. You have every right to ask questions if you are unsure of something because no one knows it all. I still learn a lot on Nairaland every single day that is why I am a bit addicted to this site. grin grin grin

For your question,

My opinion is that you are very correct. Although due to the fact that I don't want to give too much info about myself I would give some details though. Again I am not sure how correct this assumption is.

I was brought up in a royal household in Lagos. I am from the Awori-Egun clan in Lagos state and originally Lagos was a mangrove swampy land with different tiny Islands but 3 main ones. This according to my assumption would have made burial quite difficult give that fact it is water logged. I assumed we most likely took the dead to the inland areas like Ikeja (another awori settlement) etc.

Just to show you what I am talking about, here is one of the many villages Aworis can be found called SAGBOKOJI Island. Notice that there is no land, people are just living on the Ocean

Awori-eguns(Ogus) can be found in Ogun state and benin republic thus those Awori-egun there would probablly have buried their dead in their backyard or something. A visit to those area suggest so, also along side other yorubas would have done the very same thing of respecting the dead by having a proper burial site.

My sister, I am not Awori-Ogu expert but from my theories and assumption I made those up. I hope Tpia can shred more light to it
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by moshoodn(m): 8:48pm On Jun 14, 2012
Ptolomeus:
I regret that although I do not know Nigeria, I have more knowledge of Nigeria that you, as you live there.
Case closed? Ok. Do not forget to take your things when you leave, get a history book and study of Nigeria.

grin grin

GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN ABOUT CAPTIONS AND EMPHASIS. (UPPER CASE THINGS).

WELL, I GOT NO TIME DISCUSSING INTELLECTUAL MATTERS WITH YOU. . . I'VE GOT SO MANY PROFESSIONAL MAILS TO ANSWER.

AT LEAST, I'VE TOLD THE POSTER THE REAL DEAL; TO CONDUCT HIS OWN SURVEY.

THANK YOU, MR.
Re: Why Do Yoruba People Bury Dead People In Their Balconies? by moshoodn(m): 8:49pm On Jun 14, 2012
Ptolomeus:

grin grin

GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN ABOUT CAPTIONS AND EMPHASIS. (UPPER CASE THINGS).

WELL, I GOT NO TIME DISCUSSING INTELLECTUAL MATTERS WITH YOU SINCE YOU REFUSED TO ACKOWLEDGE YOUR EARLIER FLAWS. . .

RIGHT NOW, I'VE GOT SO MANY PROFESSIONAL MAILS TO ANSWER.

AT LEAST, I'VE TOLD THE POSTER THE REAL DEAL; TO CONDUCT HIS OWN SURVEY.

THANK YOU, MR.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Words And Expressions With No Synonyms In The English Language / There's Something About Us Nigerians. . . . Gotta Love Us / Did Voodoo Originate From West Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.