Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,644 members, 7,801,873 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:03 AM

Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day (5572 Views)

Peace Restored At Mile 12 As Security Personnel Take Over Trouble Region. Photos / Gov. Ambode Declares June 12 Public Holiday / MASSOB Declares June 8 Sit-at-home, Demands Rev. King’s Release (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Nobody: 4:57am On Jun 09, 2012
Osun Govt Declares June 12 As Public Holiday, Says Its Our Own Democracy Day.

The Osun government has declared June 12 as public holiday to mark the annulled presidential election presumably won by the late business mogul, Chief Moshood Abiola.
Abiola was acclaimed to have won the June 12, 1993 presidential election described as the freest and fairest election.
Mr Sunday Akere, the Commissioner forInformation and Strategy said this in a statement in Osogbo on Friday.
He said that the state had decided to recognised June 12 as its Democracy Day.
Akere said that the state would continue to recognise June 12 as its Democracy Day and Abiola as the winner of that election.

He said that a lecture entitled: “Regionalisms and True Federalism as Panacea for Solving Nigeria’s Problem of Underdevelopment” would be delivered by Chief Ayo Opadokun on that day.
The commissioner noted that the day represented so many things to the present administration in the state.
The Committee for Democracy and Rights of the People (CDRP) would also organise another lecture to be delivered by the Edo Commissioner for Justice and Attorney General, Dr Osagie Obayuwana. (NAN) http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/osun-declares-june-12-as-public-holiday/
Last year's June 12 was also observed as democracy day but there wasn't holiday (it was a sunday). There was a mini celebration this year May 29, but no local radio or TV stations even talk about it or broadcast it.
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Havilah93(m): 12:49pm On Jun 09, 2012
i knew most southwest states would adopt june 12
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by PeterKbaba: 12:52pm On Jun 09, 2012
JUNE 12 is what democracy should be about in Nigeria and not may 29 that the hausa PDP rigged election for Obj to enter
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by MrGlobe(m): 1:01pm On Jun 09, 2012
PeterKbaba: JUNE 12 is what democracy should be about in Nigeria and not may 29 that the hausa PDP rigged election for Obj to enter
I dey laugh you. The SE will not be involved in any plans to make June 12 a national democracy day. MAU should do for the immortalization. May 29 remains the only legal and national democracy day in Nigeria!
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Funkymallam(m): 1:05pm On Jun 09, 2012
Set of Jokers!
If it were d FG that declared that, they wud v been out protesting like they did with d MAU issue. Hypocrits!

1 Like

Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Bontee: 1:08pm On Jun 09, 2012
May 29 is aready regarded as democracy day so whats the point of this, they can make it a remembrance or memorial day for abiola though.

1 Like

Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by wandeay: 1:10pm On Jun 09, 2012
so if GEJ dd nt rename UNILAG, they wont celebrate it, mtcheeeew
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by greenhope(m): 1:14pm On Jun 09, 2012
I think the mistake GEJ did is that he did consult properly and most of the student agitating today were just 3 or 5 years old when MKO fought and won the very democracy they are enjoying today. It is high time our government puts the round peg in the round hole, get professionals to handle statecraft professionally.
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 09, 2012
Mr. Globe:

I dey laugh you. The SE will not be involved in any plans to make June 12 a national democracy day. MAU should do for the immortalization. May 29 remains the only legal and national democracy day in Nigeria!

And who begged okoro to adopt the day before ? You have a lot of days already that are not nationally recognized so deal with it.I only wish the other southwestern states can adopt same asap.Amosu,I dey wait for you o.

2 Likes

Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Donmeca(m): 1:16pm On Jun 09, 2012
Nigeria may never move 4wrd with lawlessness everywhere. Aragbesola now a full blown rebel.
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by nerodenero: 1:20pm On Jun 09, 2012
I dont think Osun State Government have done too much recognising June 12 as their own democracy day.
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Abeyjide: 1:20pm On Jun 09, 2012
kheart: Yoruba people re d most stupid hypocrate on d face of d earth, wen gej change unilag to maula(beggers) na dem com dey open dat there oversize kpomo mout yet dey re declaring june 12 as democracy day. Mtchewwwww

see how senseless u are.u just open dat ur big mouth witout tinking twice.ur statement shows how dey brought u up.ewure lasan lasan

3 Likes

Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by lanetrips: 1:24pm On Jun 09, 2012
If truly jonathan wants to honour mko,he shd declare june 12 as democracy day and nt renaming unilag

1 Like

Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Bontee: 1:33pm On Jun 09, 2012
lanetrips: If truly jonathan wants to honour mko,he shd declare june 12 as democracy day and nt renaming unilag

How is June 12 more significant than may 29 as democracy day for all Nigerians?.
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 09, 2012
Bontee:

How is June 12 more significant than may 29 as democracy day for all Nigerians?.

and what is so special about may 29 ?

2 Likes

Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 09, 2012
Some silly Governor trying to score cheap political points, instead of using the handout from Abuja to tar roads, build schools and hospitals and provide local power plants, he declare another day for lazying around. June 12 is in the dustbin of history. Abiola is dead, deal with it.
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Dejohnbull: 1:42pm On Jun 09, 2012
Ogbeni Rauf, u shld declare Odudua republic n stop wasting ur time on june 12 wake up
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Dejohnbull: 1:44pm On Jun 09, 2012
undecidedOgbeni Rauf, u shld declare Odudua republic n stop wasting ur time on june 12 wake up ;DOgbeni Rauf, u shld declare Odudua republic n stop wasting ur time on june 12 wake up
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Bontee: 2:18pm On Jun 09, 2012
~Bluetooth:

and what is so special about may 29 ?

After you tell us the reason we should have june 12 as democracy day when we already have may 29, then i can let you know my own opinion.
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by malc619(m): 2:49pm On Jun 09, 2012
Nice one by the Governor, hope those with twisted minds who accused ACN of sponsoring the Unilag protests now know better....

Carry on Mr Governor, no honor can ßξ 2 great for one who paid the supreme price for our democracy..
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by malc619(m): 2:51pm On Jun 09, 2012
Billyonaire: Some silly Governor trying to score cheap political points, instead of using the handout from Abuja to tar roads, build schools and hospitals and provide local power plants, he declare another day for lazying around. June 12 is in the dustbin of history. Abiola is dead, deal with it.

You are a lost soul....

1 Like

Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by lanetrips: 2:53pm On Jun 09, 2012
Bontee:

My point is,jonathan shd accept dat mko won d'93 elections,recognise june 12,and not just renaming Unilag

1 Like

Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by kutchs: 2:53pm On Jun 09, 2012
I ve been saying it, the FG should watch that boy Rawufu, he doesnt look good.
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by aljharem(m): 3:05pm On Jun 09, 2012
lanetrips:

My point is,jonathan shd accept dat mko won d'93 elections,recognise june 12,and not just remaining Unilag

that is the fact, there is no point in arguing with these tribalistic people. The point has been stated right from the beginning of the protest.
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by canuck(m): 3:09pm On Jun 09, 2012
This falls into the same category as GEJ's feeble attempt at renaming UNILAG - Fa-Fa-Faaaaa-Foul!
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by MrGlobe(m): 3:12pm On Jun 09, 2012
lanetrips:

My point is,jonathan shd accept dat mko won d'93 elections,recognise june 12,and not just remaining Unilag
There was no official result so on what basis should he accept? You people can decalare every day in the year as democracy day for Abiola, so far we are not part of it, we dont have any problem with it. The problem is when you want it become national. That my friend is impossible
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by Chyz2: 3:15pm On Jun 09, 2012
Wow! Talk about hypocrisy,lol! Na wa for yoruba people o! Lmao!
Re: Osun Declares June 12 As Democracy Day by MrGlobe(m): 3:15pm On Jun 09, 2012
The ACN governors are cheep attention seeking non performers (fyi: Fashola and Oshiomole are not considered ACN governors, just like Ngige cool cool). agberoshola remains a corporate tout

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Interactive Oil & Gas Map Of Nigeria - Lgtnigeria.com / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, An Epic FAILURE! End Of Story - kalokalo / Yoruba Is The Weak Link In The South

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.