Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,211 members, 7,807,722 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:05 PM

What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? (13744 Views)

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back / Calling All Diasporans, Hints And Tips Needed To Survive This Recession / Wishing To Relocate Back To Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Sagewood: 7:05am On Jun 09, 2012
I have often wonder the real reasons why some Nigerians in the diaspora make the
decision to relocate back home.
A lot of Nigerians voluntarily return despite the incessant power outage, bad roads,
insecurity, and high unemployment.
I would like your thoughts on this issue.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by TMoni1(m): 7:43pm On Jun 09, 2012
Common your question is not rocket science.

They can break the law and be completely lawless here and get away with it.
Its easy to make money illegally here.
Its easy to be corrupt and you get away with it
They all wanna share of the national loot
It easy to use a liitle money to get a lot of follower dat will shout "rankadede" after you.
Its easy to evade and avoid tax without the law catching up with you.

How ever, there are some dat came to help and develop the country but offen time they get jazzed, maimed, robbed, killed in plane crashes etc.

I rest my case!

8 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by raphrinco: 7:57am On Jun 16, 2012
Nice question!Simply because,there is Time to come and Time to go.
Secondly:They have made enough money for new business proposal,some come back and go into production sector.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Andrew3(m): 10:13am On Jun 16, 2012
THE ABSENSE OF AKPU AND OFE NSALA IN THE DIASPORA angry angry angry angry

6 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by ifihearam: 10:15am On Jun 16, 2012
T moni said it all na

Its easier to do ur rubbish here and go scot free provided u brought bk some dough
Freedom,so much freedom here unlike over there u know.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 16, 2012
Some are actually deported..
Dey don't have a choice.

4 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 16, 2012
After using ur Masters Degree to operate dish-washers and using Ecolab dish washing liquid to wash pots in hot sinks...

Omo, you no need person to tell you say it's time to go home... grin

I'm talking from experience grin and I thank God I took the bold step of coming home...I'm with a multinational south-south of Naija... cool

11 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by jerrywool: 10:22am On Jun 16, 2012
[size=58pt]owu[/size] grin
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by DaMayor1: 10:28am On Jun 16, 2012
People come home because they realise theres more important things in life than enjoying natural a/c while suffering and smiling. Also, even if you have money abroad, you soon realise theres more important things like Family, friends, daily adventures of nija life, etc. These are the things that keep you going. Iv been abroad a while and i will tell you BOREDOM experienced is an understatement. Besides, most europeans will never leave their home country for anything.

6 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 10:30am On Jun 16, 2012
T.Moni:
Common your question is not rocket science.

They can break the law and be completely lawless here and get away with it.
Its easy to make money illegally here.
Its easy to be corrupt and you get away with it
They all wanna share of the national loot
It easy to use a liitle money to get a lot of follower dat will shout "rankadede" after you.
Its easy to evade and avoid tax without the law catching up with you.

How ever, there are some dat came to help and develop the country but offen time they get jazzed, maimed, robbed, killed in plane crashes etc.

I rest my case!
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by deyrock(m): 10:31am On Jun 16, 2012
u can get away with anything here no doubt abt dat.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 16, 2012
Me I can never step out of this our country again oh... lai lai! grin whether for school or holiday... Oyibo yeye!

Oyibo go carry one 17 year old wey no even pass GCSE, make ur boss for their eateries and restaurants... dem no wan even know whether you get or dey study for some degree...

Na so dat wan go dey sharp mouth on you (with impunity)... "Hello mate, Can you PlEaSe go and wipe the tables...ThAnK yOu"

Kai, I go siddon look myself, ask myself whether na me be this? Some times to slap their mandibles and maxillae go hungry me...but I know sey if I try am, na Scotland yard grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by aydj(m): 10:36am On Jun 16, 2012
From experience, in abt 90 percent of cases, pple only leave abroad to come settle down in Nigeria because they do not have stay or d necessary permanent permit to work and save like they would do here in nigeria. To buttress what PortHarcourtBoy has said, its difficult and not encouraging, most especially to Nigerians wt student visas abroad to work, save and plan one's life wt dish washing or security jobs. They are all waste of time and opportunity. I have a similar experience, waited a year after my Masters Petroleum Engineering program in d U.S, hoping to get a job bt none came. I just arrived back to naija abt three months ago and am hopeful that I shld get something soon. Afterall, ds na my papa land!

3 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Classicalman(m): 10:39am On Jun 16, 2012
Na mostly those wey dem papers don expire or about to expire. ;DNa mostly those wey dem papers don expire or about to expire.

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by ogaemma: 10:51am On Jun 16, 2012
Global economic melt down palyed a major role in it. Since the end of the Bush administration countless numbers of Nigerians have relocated back home. My very close friend told me, the untold hardship in London is on a daily increase. No more jobs, no more opportunities.

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by honeyguy(m): 10:51am On Jun 16, 2012
my brothers...aside from a system that works, no place like 9ja..98% of Nigerians in diaspora want to come back but 85% cannot either because they don't have enough money, they cannot match their colleagues they left behind, no papers, 9ja wahala (aka no security, electricity, good roads, good health system).. and trust me majority of those that say they cannot come home due to one reason or the other, are just in denial because most of them cannot afford it (forget coming to pretend like a rich guy with credit card money for 2weeks in 9ja)..growing up in Toronto, i've seen them all..no place like Africa!

3 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by kiyosaki1(m): 10:53am On Jun 16, 2012
probably the only country where you wake up a pauper and by evening very rich and nobody will question your source of wealthy

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by DaMayor1: 10:55am On Jun 16, 2012
Classicalman: Na mostly those wey dem papers don expire or about to expire. ;DNa mostly those wey dem papers don expire or about to expire.

Thats not true. Isnt Nigeria our country again? so person no fit just say "I want to go home"? You make it sound like they had no other choice. Theres plenty of good reasons to go HOME.

3 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by mallorca(m): 10:55am On Jun 16, 2012
Da Mayor: People come home because they realise theres more important things in life than enjoying natural a/c while suffering and smiling. Also, even if you have money abroad, you soon realise theres more important things like Family, friends, daily adventures of nija life, etc. These are the things that keep you going. Iv been abroad a while and i will tell you BOREDOM experienced is an understatement. Besides, most europeans will never leave their home country for anything.
na d ansa b dis...boredom is an undastatment like u said..my best friend here is 27yrs old,she liv neva dis city 4 one day...if nobi 4 exchange rate i prefer to liv 4 my autonomous community than to liv abroad

3 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 16, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy: Me I can never step out of this our country again oh... lai lai! grin whether for school or holiday... Oyibo yeye!

Oyibo go carry one 17 year old wey no even pass GCSE, make ur boss for their eateries and restaurants... dem no wan even know whether you get or dey study for some degree...

Na so dat wan go dey sharp mouth on you (with impunity)... "Hello mate, Can you PlEaSe go and wipe the tables...ThAnK yOu"

Kai, I go siddon look myself, ask myself whether na me be this? Some times to slap their mandibles and maxillae go hungry me...but I know sey if I try am, na Scotland yard grin
this got ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ rollin on †ЂΞ floor like ROTFLMAO
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:06am On Jun 16, 2012
honeyguy: my brothers...aside from a system that works, no place like 9ja..98% of Nigerians in diaspora want to come back but 85% cannot either because they don't have enough money, they cannot match their colleagues they left behind, no papers, 9ja wahala (aka no security, electricity, good roads, good health system).. and trust me majority of those that say they cannot come home due to one reason or the other, are just in denial because most of them cannot afford it (forget coming to pretend like a rich guy with credit card money for 2weeks in 9ja)..growing up in Toronto, i've seen them all..no place like Africa!
wow! Interestin! So all dose my cousins for europe are broke enn? God! But seriously, wetin man pikin dey take pride do even inside suffer? ƇϑmƏ home bois ƇϑmƏ home lets rugged dis town like we used τ̅o. Damn. ¶ ǰUsτ cnt stop laffin!

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by chrishenzo: 11:08am On Jun 16, 2012
[b]Some response here shows how low minded some people here are or how they think that everyone engage in unlawful things in Nigeria.

Saying that they are deported is out of the poster's question because they didn't make the decision by themselves. They were forced to leave. So getting back to the poster's question, some made the decision because of family matters. Some made it because of business matters while some made it because they still have some affection for the country and still want to add something positive to the country. Some might took the decision because they feel that they are more hated or being discriminated in a country they are living. I am not denying that there are some people that can home because they believe that they can easily rise to power or that they families have more power than senses.

Anyway, everyone knows the saying "There is no place like home". It doesn't mean that there is no problem at home or whatever, it means a place where you feel welcome,feel you are part of them( your community),understand them more, share their feelings, no that you all are facing the same problem or are enjoying the same happiness, etc. In a foreign country, when they riot, celebrate a happy thing, etc the truth is that you won't feel it the way you will feel it if it happened in your own country. Sometimes you see yourself as second-class citizen even if you have the whole money.

Someone that studied outside the country, or travels a lot, etc sees more opportunity in making money in Nigeria than a person in Nigeria that has been living in Nigeria since his/her life. It doesn't mean that later person doesn't think but it simply means that the initial person has a broader view of where/what to do in Nigeria.

For people that believe Nigeria is all about National Cake, my brothers/sisters please do understand that there more important things in life than National Cake. Nigeria or Life is not all about National Cake.
[/b]

8 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by musty1987(m): 11:09am On Jun 16, 2012
some are tired of washing toilet
oyibo na yeye people abeg grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Jbgurl: 11:12am On Jun 16, 2012
most peeps come back home 2use d money they av saved up 4 profitable busines,purchase of land,house which is stresful abroad

2 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by lacasa: 11:13am On Jun 16, 2012
;DMake dem stay.. No come back abeg

We don dey too much 4 naijja

Space no dey abeg!!

Diaspporans abi wateva una call unaselves

Abeg remain dier ☺º°˚˚°ºoo grin

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jun 16, 2012
What will make someone go and live in another man's country. Highest I do is travel for 2 weeks. No place like home, no matter how unhomely. Na electricity frustrate us. There is no reason why Nigerians should "live" abroad.

3 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 16, 2012
lacasa: ;DMake dem stay.. No come back abeg

We don dey too much 4 naijja

Space no dey abeg!!

Diaspporans abi wateva una call unaselves

Abeg remain dier ☺º°˚˚°ºoo grin
Lacasa, please permit them to come back...abeggg

1 Like

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by inspirenet: 11:18am On Jun 16, 2012
jerrywool: [size=58pt]owu[/size] grin
lol
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 16, 2012
Billyonaire: What will make someone go and live in another man's country. Highest I do is travel for 2 weeks. No place like home, no matter how unhomely. Na electricity frustrate us. There is no reason why Nigerians should "live" abroad.

If 1 dollar or 1 pound = 1 naira,I'm sure many nigerians abroad will be in Nigeria now.People migrate mainly for economic reason,it's always about the money !

3 Likes

Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jun 16, 2012
~Bluetooth:

If 1 dollar or 1 pound = 1 naira,I'm sure many nigerians abroad will be in Nigeria now.People migrate mainly for economic reason,it's always about the money !
There are a lot of things you can do in this country to bring in foreign exchange. So many of them. You can do those, right from this country and funds gets down here, you dont have to be there to do business.
Re: What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 16, 2012
Billyonaire: There are a lot of things you can do in this country to bring in foreign exchange. So many of them. You can do those, right from this country and funds gets down here, you dont have to be there to do business.

If they have the capital to do such businesses from Nigeria,I doubt if most of them will travel out to do menial and denigrating jobs.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peace Mass Transit Boss, Onyishi Honoured With NANS' Highest Medal. / Nigeria Gets US Visa Priority Attention With Brazil & China / Anambra Airport Upgraded To Operate Boeing 700-737 And Equivalent Planes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.