Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,049 members, 7,807,151 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? (16551 Views)

Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? / why anything God Does Or Commanded Morally Good; Can We Be Justified To Do Same / What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 2good(m): 7:11am On Jun 12, 2012
SNCOQ3:

Wrong. You're confusing morality with national legal systems. There is a difference between what is moral and what is legal. what is legal could be immoral, amoral or moral. Haven't heared of the word "immoral law" before?

Morality is OBJECTIVE.

No morality is subjective and based on culture and religious inclination. Who defines the general standard of morality?
When a Nigerian go to western countries, all they complain about are irrelevant things like how the women dress during summer, lack of respect for elders, etc. but in Nigeria, you have the following problems nobody is looking at:
1. Extreme curruption of the highest order which is the reason why poverty and suffering is rife.
2. Level of female prostitution both officially and unofficially is to the extreme because of lack of jobs.
3. The police and military personnel are Lord of the general public.
4. Street urchins popularly called area boys are part of the normal process of living in major cities and they make like unbearable for people.
5. Extortion by government officials when you deal with them e.g Police, Customs, immigration, local government offices etc.
6. Children are abused by parent in the name of training.
7. Extreme tribalism and hatred for people of other tribes.
8. Extreme discrimation in the name of religious bigotry. People refuse to live together and even marry just because Mr/Mrs A is a Christian while Mr/Mrs B is a Muslim, etc.
9. You pay estimated bill to PHCN when you dont get light for the whole month otherwise they will disconnect your wire from the electric source.
10.Pastors taking advantage of gullibility of people.
11.Women refusing to divorce their husband despite being regularly battered by her husbands because of cultural pressure against divorce.
12.Women forced to marry the brother of their late husband because of culture.
13.Girls in the villages and rural areas taken advantage of by old men and nothing is done because it is a normal cultural practice with no one to fight for them .
The list goes on and on

Nigeria is generally a sick country. The problem Nigerians have is using outdated religious and cultural teachings and indoctrination to define what is moral forgetting that every human being want to have some level of freedom in life(without causing harm to others at thesame time)

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by SNCOQ3(m): 7:46am On Jun 12, 2012
^ I commend your response but am actually not interested in the "America vs Nigeria" argument because I believe it died on inception when the poster claimed that morality is subjective. I don't allow my belief to be conditioned by the "Nigerian Factor" or mere indoctrination (doctrine is not always truth)... I'll response to your argument after the days work...cheers.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Brymo: 9:14am On Jun 12, 2012
Yes,over and over again.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 9:17am On Jun 12, 2012
SNCOQ3: ^ I commend your response but am actually not interested in the "America vs Nigeria" argument because I believe it died on inception when the poster claimed that morality is subjective. I don't allow my belief to be conditioned by the "Nigerian Factor" or mere indoctrination (doctrine is not always truth)... I'll response to your argument after the days work...cheers.

So, there is one objective set of morality? Is that not the height of ignorance?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 401kk: 10:34am On Jun 12, 2012
2good:

No morality is subjective and based on culture and religious inclination. Who defines the general standard of morality?

Morality is objective to a certain standard. There are certain moral codes that are acceptable across all human societies regardless of their religion like; killing, stealing, adultery and some sort of sexual behaviour (like bestiality, necrophillia), respect for marriage and family, respect for senior citizens. . .
Subjective morality is determined by a peoples religion and total culture like polygamy, respect for the opposite sex, certain sexual behaviour like homosexualism, nudity and exhibitionism, . . . Etc.

When a Nigerian go to western countries, all they complain about are irrelevant things like how the women dress during summer, lack of respect for elders, etc.
Subjective morality

but in Nigeria, you have the following problems nobody is looking at:
1. Extreme curruption of the highest order which is the reason why poverty and suffering is rife.

All humans are disposed and susceptible to corruption and greed. Alot of nigerians(majority) are not happy with the level of corruption in the country

2. Level of female prostitution both officially and unofficially is to the extreme because of lack of jobs.

The nigerian public frowns on prostitution and it is not extremely high.

This has nothing to do with morality.

4. Street urchins popularly called area boys are part of the normal process of living in major cities and they make like unbearable for people.
5. Extortion by government officials when you deal with them e.g Police, Customs, immigration, local government offices etc.
8. Extreme discrimation in the name of religious bigotry. People refuse to live together and even marry just because Mr/Mrs A is a Christian while Mr/Mrs B is a Muslim, etc.
9. You pay estimated bill to PHCN when you dont get light for the whole month otherwise they will disconnect your wire from the electric source.
11.Women refusing to divorce their husband despite being regularly battered by her husbands because of cultural pressure against divorce.
13.Girls in the villages and rural areas taken advantage of by old men and nothing is done because it is a normal cultural practice with no one to fight for them .
The list goes on and on

Nigeria is generally a sick country. The problem Nigerians have is using outdated religious and cultural teachings and indoctrination to define what is moral forgetting that every human being want to have some level of freedom in life(without causing harm to others at thesame time)

bla bla bla
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by AnswerKnapp: 10:36am On Jun 12, 2012
[size=40pt]HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA(ROFLMFAO)[/size]
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 12, 2012
phreakabit:

Here you go my friend, educate yourself on what a rave party really is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rave Ensure to read Number 4 in the table of contents.
Dude i went to secondary school rave partie in lagos when i was a student of ISL and boys did do drugs in the club e.g marijuana, ecstacy a few even drank bottles of cough syrup (codine) to get high. girls got s.crewed in clu toilets and gave head to guys in the corners. i witnessed these things first hand and i heard its even worse in the north so stop talking what u dont know please.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 12, 2012
phreakabit:
Do you even know the other meaning of Bestiality? Abeg that shit does not abound here at all!
Bestiality by general definition is depraved behavior, savagely cruel. Then, it also connotes human having sexual intercourse with animal. So, what is wrong with you not having understanding of what bestiality means yet use the word.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Ptolomeus(m): 6:34pm On Jun 12, 2012
logicboy:

I understand you. America is corrupt but Nigerians should not overlook their problems when criticizing America.

Uruguay plays good football!

Thank you dear friend.
For the Uruguayan football is the greatest passion ... We are second in the FIFA ranking!

I agree with you. Debmos not forget our own problems. Look, in Uruguay for about twenty years ago, still sleeping with the front door unlocked ... now we all have bars ...
Do not forget our problems, find solutions ... but if Nigeria or Uruguay are compared with the United States ... No such comparison ... Our people, beyond the needs, still have certain ethical values that the U.S. has already forgotten for many decades.
I send you a big hug!
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by SNCOQ3(m): 6:42pm On Jun 12, 2012
2good:

When a Nigerian go to western countries, all they complain about are irrelevant things like how the women dress during summer, lack of respect for elders, etc. but in Nigeria, you have the following problems nobody is looking at:
The list goes on and on

2good, If people would love their neighbors as themselves, do you think we would be living with all this tragedies in the world?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by SNCOQ3(m): 6:57pm On Jun 12, 2012
@2good, if your above list are vices, why did you make that conclusion? what standard did you use? Is the standard objective or relative? If i say: 'your catalog of vices' are not immoral, they're just your opinion; would you consider me to be sensible or not?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 2good(m): 8:05pm On Jun 12, 2012
SNCOQ3: @2good, if your above list are vices, why did you make that conclusion? what standard did you use? Is the standard objective or relative? If i say: 'your catalog of vices' are not immoral, they're just your opinion; would you consider me to be sensible or not?

ok, I know where you are coming from which I quite agree in part. What I am trying to say, is that there is no universal definition of moral standard but common natural laws makes us to classify habits as moral and immoral but the society have generally influenced what is moral and immoral. I was irritated when I first saw women smoking cigarette in the public in Europe because as a Nigeria, it an immoral act for men to smoke let alone women, but in Europe it is very normal for women to smoke cigarette. There is no way the Nigerian factor will not affect your reasoning, you just have to define what your limits are and you might end up being labelled by Nigerians for not living your life by their rules. I get insulted by Nigerians for example for an being Agnostic to the extent that they tell me that I am trying to be white for refusing to accept their believes.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by SNCOQ3(m): 8:22pm On Jun 12, 2012
^^^Actually, their is a universal moral law called the Golden Rule - credited to Jesus Christ.

"do not do unto others what you don't want others to do unto you"

Please research it. Even non-christians acknowledge it to be true.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by queensmith: 8:51pm On Jun 12, 2012
Both equally moral bankrupt nations.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 9:12pm On Jun 12, 2012
SNCOQ3: ^^^Actually, their is a universal moral law called the Golden Rule - credited to Jesus Christ.

Ignorance is key to christianity.

The golden rule existed in other cultures/religion hundreds of years before christ.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule#Antiquity

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jun 12, 2012
Nigerian society is morally brainwashed!
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Ptolomeus(m): 9:28pm On Jun 12, 2012
SNCOQ3: ^^^Actually, their is a universal moral law called the Golden Rule - credited to Jesus Christ.

That rule was moral to which Jesus appealed when he took a whip and drove the merchants from the temple?
That golden rule is the rule that the biblical God was demanding sacrifices of virgins and children for him?
That golden rule is taught by Christians in Africa and South America?
Christian and Arab set up their immorality, the taught, the imposed.
Today the world has the moral and ethical foundations that have marked both Islamic and Christian.
Those who preach love of neighbor are the first to celebrate a war.
All in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, amen.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by SNCOQ3(m): 9:53pm On Jun 12, 2012
^^^ Chief, I am not interested in the dust you just raised. I'd rather stick with the context of the subject matter while having a meaningful discussion with whoever i am interested in.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:03pm On Jun 12, 2012
SNCOQ3: ^^^ Chief, I am not interested in the dust you just raised. I'd rather stick with the context of the subject matter while having a meaningful discussion with whoever i am interested in.
Having respect, there is no problem.

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by SNCOQ3(m): 10:09pm On Jun 12, 2012
^Thanks.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by ogbonoeba: 11:17pm On Jun 12, 2012
logicboy: How stupid can people get when they claim that Nigeria is more morally upright than the USA. I noticed this opinion when reading comments from the Creflo Dollar assault case. They were saying that American society is not good for bringing up children. The scientists/Bill Gates/Steve Jobs/religious leaders that are from America, were they not children before becoming adults?

https://www.nairaland.com/959135/creflo-dollar-arrested-choking-daughter

Morality is subjective. The simple answer is that both countries are morally corrupt and we all are too by various standards. Nigeria is number 1 in corruption while America is number 1 in xenophobic imperialism.

Let it be clear that if you think one country is more morally upright than the other for children, you are a biased fool judging on your own parenting style when there are other parenting styles that work as well, if not better than yours.

The real questions are...
What is morality?

what standard are we using to define morality?

Does morality apply to atheists and agnostics?

How would you as an individual define immorality?

Does stereotype influence our view of morality?

Example: In USA some beaches allow nudity and some hotels in Las Vegas allow women to go topless at the swimming pool. If the local laws say it is okay, do you still think it is immoral?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 11:20pm On Jun 12, 2012
ogbonoeba:

The real questions are...
What is morality?

what standard are we using to define morality?

Does morality apply to atheists and agnostics?

How would you as an individual define immorality?

Does stereotype influence our view of morality?

Example: In USA some beaches allow nudity and some hotels in Las Vegas allow women to go topless at the swimming pool. If the local laws say it is okay, do you still think it is immoral?

Morality is subjective. That was my point. Both countries are immoral based on many subjective standards
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Zodiac61(m): 12:33am On Jun 13, 2012
logicboy:

Morality is subjective. That was my point. Both countries are immoral based on many subjective standards
If, as you say, morality is subjective, how can you say that both countries are immoral?
Either there are objective values, in which case we can determine morality or immorality, or there are subjective values, in which case we cannot.
(Playing devil's advocate here).
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 12:44am On Jun 13, 2012
Zodiac61:
If, as you say, morality is subjective, how can you say that both countries are immoral?
Either there are objective values, in which case we can determine morality or immorality, or there are subjective values, in which case we cannot.
(Playing devil's advocate here).

No, you are playing the fool.

Reread my quote again

logicboy:

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by coolzeal(m): 3:19am On Jun 13, 2012
Okay, this should be my first post. Nah i don't think we Nigerians are morally better than any group, its just that our culturally values differs and there's crime in every ethnicity in the world..
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:17am On Jun 13, 2012

[size=16pt]YOU LIEING, THIEVING CHRISTIANS PLAGARIZED THAT FROM US PAGANS! [/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 2good(m): 9:38am On Jun 13, 2012

Is Atheism/ Agnosticism immoral?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 401kk: 9:43am On Jun 13, 2012
2good:

Is Atheism/ Agnosticism immoral?

In some cultures/societies. Yes
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 401kk: 9:45am On Jun 13, 2012
@2good

Is murder, rape, robbery and theft immoral?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 2good(m): 9:45am On Jun 13, 2012
401kk:

In some cultures/societies. Yes

Can you give me an example of such culture?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 401kk: 9:53am On Jun 13, 2012
In some (if not most) traditional african societies, it is immoral to not have a belief in supreme beings.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 10:13am On Jun 13, 2012
401kk: In some (if not most) traditional african societies, it is immoral to not have a belief in supreme beings.

And you wonder why these societies are backwards.

Morality is subjective

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Let's Not Cultivate That Habit Of Replacing Christ With X / Calling The Humanist Bluff. / Dangers In Lying About The "Will Of God"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.